Cuban autosomal genetics and pigmentation

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
It's beyond me why they would still be using AIMS. The results largely comport with those from more professional studies of Latin America as a whole, but for more precise data I'd go to those studies.

See:

"Cuba: Exploring the History of Admixture and the Genetic Basis of Pigmentation Using Autosomal and Uniparental Markers"

It should be noted that these samples are from Cuba itself. One third of the population emigrated, and the majority of those people, other than the ones sent over by Castro, were the "white" Cubans. I've seen quite a few of their results, and many of them have less than 5-7% "minority" ancestry. Even that surprised them, having been assured that they were of 100% European ancestry. The presence of Amerindian ancestry was a particular shock, as all the history books stated that they had been wiped out. Also interestingly enough, some of them did notice that some of the phenotypes from the eastern part of the island were a bit exotic. "

"We carried out an admixture analysis of a sample comprising 1,019 individuals from all the provinces of Cuba. We used a panel of 128 autosomal Ancestry Informative Markers (AIMs) to estimate the admixture proportions. We also characterized a number of haplogroup diagnostic markers in the mtDNA and Y-chromosome in order to evaluate admixture using uniparental markers. Finally, we analyzed the association of 16 single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) with quantitative estimates of skin pigmentation. In the total sample, the average European, African and Native American contributions as estimated from autosomal AIMs were 72%, 20% and 8%, respectively. The Eastern provinces of Cuba showed relatively higher African and Native American contributions than the Western provinces. In particular, the highest proportion of African ancestry was observed in the provinces of Guantánamo (40%) and Santiago de Cuba (39%), and the highest proportion of Native American ancestry in Granma (15%), Holguín (12%) and Las Tunas (12%). We found evidence of substantial population stratification in the current Cuban population, emphasizing the need to control for the effects of population stratification in association studies including individuals from Cuba. The results of the analyses of uniparental markers were concordant with those observed in the autosomes. These geographic patterns in admixture proportions are fully consistent with historical and archaeological information. Additionally, we identified a sex-biased pattern in the process of gene flow, with a substantially higher European contribution from the paternal side, and higher Native American and African contributions from the maternal side. This sex-biased contribution was particularly evident for Native American ancestry. Finally, we observed that SNPs located in the genes SLC24A5 and SLC45A2 are strongly associated with melanin levels in the sample."

I never saw any minority ancestry in someone like Desi Arnaz or Oscar Hijueilos whatsoever. In Marco Rubio maybe a hint of Amerindian?
desi_arnaz.jpg

He looks so Spanish to me here:
7d96f180cc053fc736b7a4e7a1c92c8f.jpg

US-novelist-Hijuelos-dies-aged-62.jpg

I do see it in Ted Cruz' father: something across the eyes.
3032531000000578-3401542-Young_Canadian_with_a_Cuban_father_Baby_Ted_Cruz_with_his_father-a-91_1452882647788.jpg

antigua-fotografia-autografo-vicente-parra-dedicatoria-completamente-original-mide-14-x~x27293303
antigua-fotografia-autografo-vicente-parra-dedicatoria-completamente-original-mide-14-x~x27293303
View attachment 10616
Vicente Parra

Yes they are very Spanish, the first one has reminded me a lot of the Spanish actor Vicente Parra. The second fails me something else, I see something black in it, the teeth do not fit me so much with Spain, the glasses can be anywhere, and the baby also Spanish but with a "Filipino" touch. For me it is much easier to detect the differences because I am Spanish. I have seen many Cubans and Cubans one hundred percent Spanish in appearance, usually they are descendants of the communists who left Spain during the war or after or even before the war, 20 or 30 years, but even so I do not know if the latitude, altitude and other factors can cause some changes to occur because I notice them differently as if there had been a different co-occurrence in the chance of the genes.

The first two are of Desi Arnaz and I think he looks very Spanish. The third is Oscar Hijuelos, who I think looks even more northern. This is him younger.
hQ6Gim0.png

I'm a great admirer of his novels.

These "white" Cubans are mostly the most fervent of anti-Communists who fled from Castro when they were stripped of all their possessions. The ones of that generation, but also many of their children, are a consistent and passionate Republican voting block.

The last one is the father of one of our Presidential candidates in 2016, and I also see something "off" about him. It has been said of him that he was one of the few pro-Communist Cuban immigrants.

Óscar Hijuelo perhaps reminded me of the Spanish journalist Pepe Navarro in his essence.

View attachment 10617

The father of Ted Cruz for me no doubt has a Native American factor.

I usually notice a slight difference, although they almost look like Spanish there is a final finish something like a cappuccino, a soft foam on top, another final finish, Óscar Hijuelos would not have it for example, but the other two actors have it, it would be a single coffee without sugar and two cappuccinos.

^^

Three more famous ones with whom you might not be familiar:

Gloria Estefan:

Gloria-EstefanBBC300.jpg

Marco Rubio:
Marco_Rubio_113th_Congress.jpg

Andy Garcia:
6231205a0979280eda260c0089c77af7.jpg

Gloria Estefan and Andy García knew them, the middle one did not. Gloria Estefan has relatives in Asturias, usually visiting the small town of one of her ancestors. Andy Garcia has never interested me too much as an actor; although he is a good actor. All three have a finish or an indigenous essence that I do not recognize. I do not recognize their looks as Spaniards, I feel bad, but that's the way it is. There may also be other factors such as attitude, look, things that still transmit without speaking and that they acquire by living in a different culture that is also perceived. I did not even remember a teacher of Latin English, I came from New York and her attitude was very different, her look at the Latinos I see now in Spain who come directly from their South American countries. Right now I do not remember any Latino celebrity that was not of two Spanish parents.

Marco Rubio had not seen him in my life, he seems like a good guy, but I get the feeling that he can not be himself, he lives very corseted, poor. Now I will look for him to see who he is.

He supposed it, I think he's a pretty cruel person and if they let him get there he could be a monster. It is not clean wheat, it is enough because it is what suits you. A lie.

He supposed it, I think he's a pretty cruel person and if they let him get there he could be a monster. It is not clean wheat, it is enough because it is what suits you. A lie.

He* IS a good guy. You shouldn't assume that someone whose politics are different than yours is necessarily a bad person.

I know a lot of good people who are far left progressives. I ignore their stupid political opinions. :)

*Ed. Marco Rubio

Last edited:
My assessment of what I perceive is not influenced by the political inclinations of the character in the photo. In that photo, what I perceive is that the process of dehumanization had begun, it is possible that now it is not human, it is what I see and that is what I tell it, and it also has a lot to hide.

I was at the University of Miami in the 1970's when many of the early waves from Cuba had recently arrived. The cafeteria that I used was mostly staffed by Cuban women. Several of these women had red hair and green eyes. Many had fair skin and freckles and could easily be thought of as Irish until they spoke. One of my brothers married such a fair haired fair skin Cuban woman. I had learned of the Celtiberos from Spain in Spanish class in High School, so I wasn't entirely surprised, but I still remember those faces.

Spanish immigration to Cuba began in 1492, continued in 1898 and continued until today. The first sighting of a Spanish ship was the approach to the island on 27 or 28 October 1492, probably in Bariay on the eastern end of the island. Christopher Columbus, on his first trip to America, sailed south from what is now the Bahamas to explore the northeast coast of Cuba and the north coast of La española.

Some 446,000 descendants of Spaniards have applied for citizenship
Most of the petitions covered by the Law of Historical Memory come from Cuba and Argentina

When Spaniards want to minimize some fact in which we are involved or alleviate that of a third party, we usually say the phrase: More was lost in Cuba (Más se perdió en Cuba)

Those Cuban women from the bar could have been something like Blanca and Susana Estrada these two Asturian sisters. It is not that all Spanish women are like that but we also have them.

View attachment 10620
Susana Estrada

View attachment 10621
Blanca Estrada

They were queens of the nude in Spain. (I found it hard to find them dressed)

I met once a Venezuelan woman who was divorced from a Hungarian husband. She traced her roots back in Spain, but had no memory or knowledge of relatives in Spain. She had particularly good looks and was approached by many people of different races, many of them rich. The last one I remember was a reasonably rich Asian. There was no way she could accept if the person was no European. No money or richness could corrupt her! I brought this example to suggest that such way of thinking could be in pockets of Cuba, and being Cuban does not necessary mean one is mixed. I don't see Marco as mixed. The senator from New Jersey is obviously mixed.

The number of Cubans without any trace of "minority" ancestry is pretty small, and limited to descendants of very recent migrants. The percentages for the minority "white" Cubans can be very small, however, in the range of a percent or two to about 10 percent.

It's the same situation which is present in Afrikaners.

Caribbean-K7.png

That minority ancestry has been a shock to a lot of them.

[CITA = Tutkun Arnaut; 563322] Conocí a una mujer venezolana que estaba divorciada de un marido húngaro. Ella trazó sus raíces en España, pero no tenía memoria ni conocimiento de los familiares en España. Tenía una apariencia particularmente buena y fue abordada por muchas personas de diferentes razas, muchas de ellas ricas. El último que recuerdo fue un asiático bastante rico. No había forma de que ella pudiera aceptar si la persona no era europea. ¡Ningún dinero o riqueza podría corromperla! Traje este ejemplo para sugerir que tal forma de pensar podría estar en los bolsillos de Cuba, y ser cubano no significa necesariamente que uno esté mezclado. No veo a Marco tan mezclado. El senador de Nueva Jersey obviamente está mezclado. [/ QUOTE]

That does not seem to say that being mixed is incriminating nothing further from it, can be something fabulous. Sincerely Marco Rubio for me and is a subjective opinion is mixed with black and Indian; although the final finish may seem more white, even Nordic.

The number of Cubans without any trace of "minority" ancestry is pretty small, and limited to descendants of very recent migrants. The percentages for the minority "white" Cubans can be very small, however, in the range of a percent or two to about 10 percent.

It's the same situation which is present in Afrikaners.

Caribbean-K7.png

That minority ancestry has been a shock to a lot of them.

Because minorities have Spanish names and surnames and thus are not identificiable from this perspective. They just are in shade.

But any people from multicultural/ethnic area for centuries shouldn't be shocked or suprised about admixture.

They are young countries so the assimilation of something like this is very different from how it is assimilated by someone from the old world. For us, the mixture makes us proud to take us back to mythical, legendary or historical times so that we integrate it well because that origin can be millenarian newly discovered but it is evocative and it is possible that in such a young country to believe itself white and that suddenly a Indigenous or black origin is too close to them in time, and not enough time has passed to have integrated it and to see it as part of one in a legendary, legendary way. If a European obtains a mixture with a black African from a few thousand years ago, it is not painful for him as it could have been, but in America with fresh information and in a short historical time the sensation must be different and full of prejudices.

For example, no modern Spanish speaks badly of the Romans (ancient) no one speaks of genocide, invasion, plunder, slavery accusing modern Romans of Imperial Rome and yet there are many heads of plovers that accuse modern Spanish all those things because the story is too recent, which by the way I take to say that for Hollywood the Vikings were beautiful, muscular and postmodern and went for a walk and show off and the Spaniards to loot, steal, rape and kill Indians. That is why I think that some exotic results in America for someone who believed to be one thing and get a different one can be more complicated than for a European or other places in the world.

You also spend in the films about the Imbencible Armada, when Queen Elizabeth I, the English appear with a postmodern image and the Spaniards come out with a grotesque characterization, a large nose with a wart on the tip or a disheveled lock on the face, you see suddenly postmodern people (English of the time) and (Spaniards of the time) characterized grotesquely, you twist in the chair, what happens?

What is the Black supposed to represent, Mediterranean ancestry? Why would they be more Med than Spanish and Italians?

This thread has been viewed 14983 times.

Back