Where does the Albanian language come from? [VIDEO]

He used the term Daco-Mysian. He believed the Mysians and Moesians had same origin, and the y -> oe sound change in Mysi -> Moesi is reflected in Albanian.

He should have used the term Dardano-Mysian or something as he believed the Dardanians were non-Illyrian non-Thracian and also related to the Dardanoi of Troy, but he labelled their language as "Daco-Mysian".

He also argued that the etymology of Mygdonia comes from Mys-gdon with -gdon being cognate of Greek cthon "land" (as in auto-cthon), so literaly Mysian land/country.

maxresdefault.jpg

He also argued that the etymology of Mygdonia comes from Mys-gdon with -gdon being cognate of Greek cthon "land" (as in auto-cthon), so literaly Mysian land/country.

maxresdefault.jpg
Another reason why not to believe his retarded overreaching theories. Mygdonia comes from Mys and gdon he says. What about all the other similar ending regions?

Makedonia, Paeonia, Pannonia, Chaonia, Pelagonia, Ciconia, Lakonia, Lykaonia, continuing with Dodona (Doric of Dodone), Salona, Narona, Cremona, etc.

I suggest read the remnants of Thracian language by Duridanov,

The word Muca, which means the 'sons; the male connection of tribe,
comparing with Scotish Mac, and also in Armenian language, means also same-simmilar,

I do not know if it is also connected with Slavic musk-ara meaning man (male)

What a trio, Johane, Yetos, and torzio. Eupedia?s pinnacle of Illyro-Thracology.

What a trio, Johane, Yetos, and torzio. Eupedia�s pinnacle of Illyro-Thracology.

we are here to help the uneducated

This etymology is supported further by Shkurda in Kotor, which is a gorge.

A gorge is by definition: a narrow valley between hills or mountains, typically with steep rocky walls and a stream running through it

The form shkurda shows Albanian mediation into the slavic languages, but it also shows Latin era entry into Albanian language, that it was not inherited from pre latin (scuola -> shkollë).

So shkurda is also related etymologically to this Lithuanian. skardis cognate etymology, as is Scardona in Croatia, etc, all these illyrian placenames that do not match proto-Albanian.

Another Illyrian name that may be explained with taking into account Lithuanian imho is Ardiaei (w was lost word initially in Greek so it could descend from a root *ward- at least but either way in Latin it is attested as Vardiaei or Vardaei.

Latvian: vārds (name, word”)
Lithuanian: var̃das (name)

And that is essentially meant ''people of the name" ie "people who have a good name", who are well known. For a possible semantic parallel compare Greek ονομαστοί (from *h₁nḗh₃mn̥), which by the way in Latvian is translated as slavens (from
*ḱlew-.)

we are here to help the uneducated
I don?t know a single member of Eupedia who isn?t revolted by your posts and doesn?t mock you. In addition, your English is embarrassing for an Australian, a supposed native speaker.

The name of the Illyrian queen Teuta is not proto-Albanian.

It is cognate with Gothic. Thiudans [king]

It meant "queen" from an older West Indo-European. *teutā [country, people].

Other cognates:

Old Irish. Tuath [people, tribe]
Lithuanian. Tauta [nation]
Oscan. Touto (community)

Again an issue since Albanian does not have this word.
FDHZbjhXoAEd3R7

The name of the Illyrian queen Teuta is not proto-Albanian.

It is cognate with Gothic. Thiudans [king]

It meant "queen" from an older West Indo-European. *teutā [country, people].

Other cognates:

Old Irish. Tuath [people, tribe]
Lithuanian. Tauta [nation]
Oscan. Touto (community)

Again an issue since Albanian does not have this word.
FDHZbjhXoAEd3R7

Possibly of political interest to this is the revolt against the Illyrian kingdom that is mentioned by Polybius, in which Teuta had to withdraw Illyrian troops from Phoenice (modern Finiq, Albania) because of a revolt in which some Illyrians went to the side of the Dardanian kingdom.

FDGrVkbWYAM1SQJ

So in this scenario, we can imagine 300-10,000 proto-Albanians surviving the barbarian migrations, and being moved southwest.

Then, once settled in a new area, maybe north-Albania first and then Mat regions, they begin demographic expansion.

I don't believe proto-Albanians were really assimilating large groups of non-proto-Albanians, as this is not traditionally the case (for example Kosovo Albanians had large demographic expansions, they were not assimilating non-Albanians), they could have just had lots of children. This is supported by Albanian y-dna.
I agree but I believe proto-Albanians to be descended from somewhere in Bosnia or Montenegro, probably where we got the high J2b.

I've noticed there sure is a lot of emphasis on Albania in this forum for such a small country. I wonder why that is.

I've noticed there sure is a lot of emphasis on Albania in this forum for such a small country. I wonder why that is.

It is actually logical. Contrary to bigger european folks, the question of their ancestry is still far from solved at this moment. I hope for them and for my own curiosity to have some answers soon.

It is actually logical. Contrary to bigger european folks, the question of their ancestry is still far from solved at this moment. I hope for them and for my own curiosity to have some answers soon.
What do you mean exactly?

Linguistically we?re IE and part of a Proto-Balkan group.

Y-DNA wise we?re again predominantly Proto-Balkanic.

Autosomally we?re again predominantly Iron Age/Imperial Rome Balkanic.

There?s just some Kosovars here that want to justify their recolonization of Eastern Kosovo and beyond by moving the homeland of Proto-Albanian next to their home and away from Albania and Epirus.

For over 1000 years the Albanians showed that they didn?t assimilate other ethnicities around them, namely the Slavs, Vlachs, and Greeks.

But these individuals want us all to believe that we boomed from a relatively small and uninhabitable mountain region corresponding with North Albania and Western Kosovo and managed to assimilate Romance and Greek speaking folks at the peak of their civilization.

You know, ignorant shepherds of the 3rd century assimilated Romans in modern Albania ans Epirus up until 900 AD, then we just procreated a lot and gave birth to millions of people in Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, South Serbia, Arvanites in Greece, Arbereshe in Italy, millions of Albanians in Turkey.

All stemming from the uninhabitable mountains of Kosovo (which is mainly a lowland). How convenient.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, but it was the Asian peoples who were the first than the European ones, which is why such a great story! There is something to think about!

Very speculative, some words are too modern, but interesting nonetheless.

2GeQl3x.jpg

Unsurprisingly, the most problematic taxon is Albanian, which skips across the tree, occupying various positions within the Inner IE clade: from the first outlier to the third member of the Balto-Slavic–Indo-Iranian clade, depending on the dataset and the method used (Figures S1–S3). There are underlying reasons for such instability. First there are a huge number of non-inherited items in the Albanian basic vocabulary, which are thus excluded from our dataset, as scarceness of data leads to lack of resolution. A second reason is our insufficient knowledge of Albanian historical phonology. Due to the scarceness of Albanian inherited vocabulary we may be failing to detect some non-trivial phonological rules. As a result, certain Albanian stems that are treated here as etymologically isolated may actually be true cognates of the corresponding Proto-IE terms.
https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/ling-2020-0060/html

The resulting tree topology and datings are entirely compatible with established expert views. Our main finding is the multifurcation of the Inner IE clade into four branches ca. 3357–2162 bc: (1) Greek-Armenian, (2) Albanian, (3) Italic-Germanic-Celtic, (4) Balto-Slavic–Indo-Iranian.

What do you mean exactly?

Linguistically we�re IE and part of a Proto-Balkan group.

Y-DNA wise we�re again predominantly Proto-Balkanic.

Autosomally we�re again predominantly Iron Age/Imperial Rome Balkanic.

There�s just some Kosovars here that want to justify their recolonization of Eastern Kosovo and beyond by moving the homeland of Proto-Albanian next to their home and away from Albania and Epirus.

For over 1000 years the Albanians showed that they didn�t assimilate other ethnicities around them, namely the Slavs, Vlachs, and Greeks.

But these individuals want us all to believe that we boomed from a relatively small and uninhabitable mountain region corresponding with North Albania and Western Kosovo and managed to assimilate Romance and Greek speaking folks at the peak of their civilization.

You know, ignorant shepherds of the 3rd century assimilated Romans in modern Albania ans Epirus up until 900 AD, then we just procreated a lot and gave birth to millions of people in Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, South Serbia, Arvanites in Greece, Arbereshe in Italy, millions of Albanians in Turkey.

All stemming from the uninhabitable mountains of Kosovo (which is mainly a lowland). How convenient.

as time passes , you might (depends on how nationalistic you are ) realise that the origin of Albanians is with the Dardanians ...........and not with any other race .................your national false history ( like the majority of every country ) has been proven that the proto-albanians did not live on the coast
You can continue to falsify your current claims if you like.......it makes me have a laugh:LOL:

as time passes , you might (depends on how nationalistic you are ) realise that the origin of Albanians is with the Dardanians ...........and not with any other race .................your national false history ( like the majority of every country ) has been proven that the proto-albanians did not live on the coast
You can continue to falsify your current claims if you like.......it makes me have a laugh:LOL:
Why does a simple forum message about genetics and linguistics make you laugh? Are you okay?

I personally require real humour to have a proper laugh. I didn?t lose it yet. Take care of yourself mate.

Sheesh, does it really matter to people the exact like square kilometer that their people's ethnogenesis supposedly took place? Jeez. That's like kinda strange in this day and age, with a globalized world. Most countries would rather point to actual achievements of their people and culture, and their contributions to humanity, while some are desperately clinging on to ideas of "we're the first people in this valley!", and "your people were from a few miles that way near the coast", or "you mixed with some of these people, you're not worthy of this land anymore!", lol. And these places are too obscure for the vast majority of the world to even know or care about, unfortunately.

I mean, I'm not saying it's not interesting in some general sense, but it's not like a bunch of people arguing on a forum are going to uncover the "real" truth about something, in absence of actual new evidence, which unfortunately is probably not going to come up anymore at this point. And I'd wager most of them aren't scholars who are going to write academic articles on their theories.

This thread has been viewed 598714 times.

Back