Where does the Albanian language come from? [VIDEO]

Johane Derite

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
E-V13>Z5018>FGC33625
mtDNA haplogroup
U1a1a

Saw this video, found it to be a good intro to some basics.

So basically the Albanian language came from this area

Y8Pepz6.png

So basically the Albanian language came from this area

Y8Pepz6.png

Yep. They should have also mentioned the Albanian - Messapic relations since that evidences the necessity of western balkans.

What there should be mention is great many words of Romanian substrate are shared with Albanian.
Common Lexic in Romanian and Albanian. Substrate and Loanwords.

http://www.academia.edu/5766282/Common_Lexic_in_Romanian_and_Albanian._Substrate_and_Loanwords

It doesn't affect the argument as to where albanian must have been since Vlore < Aulona Albanian accent rule since antiquity
is de-fact confirmation of Albanians in south west. Likewise the messapic relation as well as the laconian folk vocabulary in 7th
Century BC having Albanian loanwords.

Laconia is as south greece as it gets, but since laconians were dorian spartans, we can say that they must have gotten the loanwords from Albanians in epirus, rather than Albanians having been in Laconia, although who knows maybe that too is the case.

There is near 100% concensus that the Albanian romanian substrate is either

a) Signs that Romanians/Vlachs spoke Albanian before being romanised
or
b) Romanians/Vlachs lived on a direct border to Albanians and got many loanwords from Albanian.

Personally, I think its a mix of both, since Vlachs/Aromanians/Romanians are a heterogenous ethnicity that arose due to the Roman Empire.

Just think the Arvanites, Bulgarians, Vlachs that identified as greek fully after the revolution. They each would have added some words to the Greek language
and share a "substrate" with each respective language. For example Neo-Greek has the word Vlames used for "comrade/blood brother" , which is loan word from Alb. Vëlla (Brother). You wouldn't use this to argue that Greek and Albanian have a substrate and Albanian ethnogenesis must have happened in Greece.

So Vlachs/Aromanians/Romanians are a heterogenous ethinicty that represent Illyrians, Dardanians, Macedonians, and Dacians that became Romanised.

This article you shared by Dan Ungereanu isn't wrong in the words it lists as being shared, but its obvious that its some nativist nationalist that he lists
every single shared word as Dacian as if we have a way of knowing that.

I personally called him out on this in a public group of professionals and he admitted he was wrong for listing all the shared words as Dacian:

f5W6758.png

This map, with some corrections, is almost identical to the map of the territories inhabited by the Albanians until the last quarter of the nineteenth century when these territories, first with the Treaty of Santo Stefano and then with the Congress of Berlin were divided among our neighbors by Great European Powers including also the Ottoman empire that practically sold these territories.
The Albanians have always lived in the same territory.

It doesn't affect the argument as to where albanian must have been since Vlore < Aulona Albanian accent rule since antiquity
is de-fact confirmation of Albanians in south west. Likewise the messapic relation as well as the laconian folk vocabulary in 7th
Century BC having Albanian loanwords.

Laconia is as south greece as it gets, but since laconians were dorian spartans, we can say that they must have gotten the loanwords from Albanians in epirus, rather than Albanians having been in Laconia, although who knows maybe that too is the case.

There is near 100% concensus that the Albanian romanian substrate is either

a) Signs that Romanians/Vlachs spoke Albanian before being romanised
or
b) Romanians/Vlachs lived on a direct border to Albanians and got many loanwords from Albanian.

Personally, I think its a mix of both, since Vlachs/Aromanians/Romanians are a heterogenous ethnicity that arose due to the Roman Empire.

Just think the Arvanites, Bulgarians, Vlachs that identified as greek fully after the revolution. They each would have added some words to the Greek language
and share a "substrate" with each respective language. For example Neo-Greek has the word Vlames used for "comrade/blood brother" , which is loan word from Alb. Vëlla (Brother). You wouldn't use this to argue that Greek and Albanian have a substrate and Albanian ethnogenesis must have happened in Greece.

So Vlachs/Aromanians/Romanians are a heterogenous ethinicty that represent Illyrians, Dardanians, Macedonians, and Dacians that became Romanised.

This article you shared by Dan Ungereanu isn't wrong in the words it lists as being shared, but its obvious that its some nativist nationalist that he lists
every single shared word as Dacian as if we have a way of knowing that.

I personally called him out on this in a public group of professionals and he admitted he was wrong for listing all the shared words as Dacian:

f5W6758.png
My point is not that this words are Dacian,neither i care for his opinion but there in the paper is Orel's dictionary which is cited by him about common lexic between Romanian and Albanian which I guess should be adressed.

Wow, so you're saying that Albanian comes from Albania? Makes sense to me. I would place the core genesis in the northern half of the blue-shaded area, as Albanian appears to have more Latin influence than Greek and therefore would have been more likely to originate north of the Jirecek line.

Interesting list of similar words!

There is some lack of verbs in the list but besides the meaning of Easter, paște in Romanian is also used as a verb, referring to horses, sheep, donkeys when eat, replacing the verb to feed.

I am curious how much is understood in Albanian of what I write now in Romanian:

Ia vino bre ! Un măgar paște lăstari pe baltă.

Variants:

Ia vin bre ! Un măgar paște muguri pe baltă.

Iete măre ! Un măgar paște muguri pe baltă in amurg.

Iete bre ! Un măgar paște muguri in brădet.

Last edited:

Saw this video, found it to be a good intro to some basics.

Ahahahaha

Ahahahaha

Derite? did you see it accidently?
or you make it?

is this voice yours?

Ahahaha

Strange but the video is made 08/01/2019

THE SAME DATE THAT CLOSE THE OTHER THREAD IN THE FORUM
about Paleo-balkan languages,

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
Wow, so you're saying that Albanian comes from Albania? Makes sense to me. I would place the core genesis in the northern half of the blue-shaded area, as Albanian appears to have more Latin influence than Greek and therefore would have been more likely to originate north of the Jirecek line.
First I would like to invite you and others to make a distinction between a hypothesis and a historical fact.
For example:
Jireček Line
The Jireček Line is a conceptual boundary through the ancient Balkans that divides the influence of the Latin (in the north) and Greek (in the south) languages in the Roman Empire from Antiquity until the 4th century. It goes from near the city of Laçi in modern Albania to Serdica (now Sofia, in Bulgaria) and then follows the Balkan Mountains to Odessus (Varna) on the Black Sea. However, the proposed line is a theoretical tool only, and Latinized groups live south of the line, such as the Aromanians, Meglenites, Cutzovlachs (Greek: Βλαχοι), and Moscopolitans. Even so, it is a useful — although approximate — instrument for determining which influence a certain area was predominantly exposed to. The placement of the line is based on archaeological findings: most of the inscriptions found to the north of it are written in Latin, and most of the inscriptions found to the south of it are in Greek.
This line is important in establishing the area where the Romanian and Vlach people formed (see origin of the Romanians).
It was originally used by Czech historian Konstantin Jireček in 1911 in a history of the Slavic people.
More recent scholars have revised it somewhat: Kaimio (1979) places Dalmatia and Moesia Superior in the Latin area and Moesia Inferior in the Greek sphere. MacLeod (1982) suggests that there may not have been "an official language policy for each and every aspect of life" but that "individual Roman officials [made] common sense ad hoc decisions". He also points out that while the area was under Roman rule, "even in Greek areas... Latin was the dominant language in inscriptions recording public works, on milestones, and in the army".
So, the Jirecek line is an hypothesis. Part of the Albanians including me personally live today in the South of this line, this is an historical fact.
About the influence of the Greek and Latin. There are different reason why Latin have more influence than Greek.
At the first reason reason you can arrive using simply the logic. In Albanian language are preserved around 36 words borrowed from Doric Greek. Some scholars suggest that the number must be higher and we must investigate more in this direction, but this is another matter. Before the Roman invasion of Illyria this number was higher. When Albanian language borrowed words from Latin, these words replaced the words of the host language, in this case the Albanian, or have continued to function as synonyms. But when these Latin words have replaced the words of the Albanian language, these words also replaced a part of the Greek words that were already present in the Albanian language. Then later, a similar process was repeated with other invasions of Albania from other Empires and civilizations.
The second reason is in the difference between what the Greeks and Romans represented. The Greeks were an important civilization of the past. But they were located mostly in the coastal colonies in the western part of Albania and did not had the power of the Roman Empire that penetrated in a capillary way almost in every corner of their empire, because they had something more from the Greeks, the army.

First I would like to invite you and others to make a distinction between a hypothesis and a historical fact.
For example:
Jireček Line

So, the Jirecek line is an hypothesis. Part of the Albanians including me personally live today in the South of this line, this is an historical fact.
About the influence of the Greek and Latin. There are different reason why Latin have more influence than Greek.
At the first reason reason you can arrive using simply the logic. In Albanian language are preserved around 36 words borrowed from Doric Greek. Some scholars suggest that the number must be higher and we must investigate more in this direction, but this is another matter. Before the Roman invasion of Illyria this number was higher. When Albanian language borrowed words from Latin, these words replaced the words of the host language, in this case the Albanian, or have continued to function as synonyms. But when these Latin words have replaced the words of the Albanian language, these words also replaced a part of the Greek words that were already present in the Albanian language. Then later, a similar process was repeated with other invasions of Albania from other Empires and civilizations.
The second reason is in the difference between what the Greeks and Romans represented. The Greeks were an important civilization of the past. But they were located mostly in the coastal colonies in the western part of Albania and did not had the power of the Roman Empire that penetrated in a capillary way almost in every corner of their empire, because they had something more from the Greeks, the army.

Oh Really,

In Italy there was a city named Ravena,
a historian mentions that there the Roman Legions THAT SPOKE GREEK,
So The possibility to eliminate Greek, at Roman Empire is tottaly out of Question

The Sirmium and Naissos, Nis

Sirmium is consider the center of Division among Latin and Greek,
Yet archaiology has proved that Greek were spoken among Roman Legions at Sirmium
SOmething that was against Diocletianus division to Romania and Romylia,
Latin Speaking and Greek speaking.

so What MacLeod's proposal has a basis on definition of Jirecec Line,
Archaiology proves that,
THEY FOUND HUNDRENDS OF GREEK CURSES AND OTHER NORTH OF JIRESEC LINE
NORTH OF SIRMIUM

Now FROM HISTORIA
LAGOBARDORUM

Alboin electam e suis manum direxit, qui Romanis adversus Getassuffragium ferrent. Qui per maris Adriatici sinum in. Italiam transvecti, sociati Romanis pugnam inierunt cum Gothis; quibus usque ad internicionem pariter cum Totila suo rege deletis, honorati multis muneribus victores ad propria remearunt. Omnique tempore quo Langobardi Pannoniam possederunt, Romanae rei publicae adversus aemulos adiutores fuerunt.

WHAT
WHAT GREEKS IN THE HEART OF ROMAN EMPIRE? IN RAVENA (today Romagna)

Tiberius igitur Constantinus postquam imperium septem rexerat annis, sentiens sibi diem mortis imminere, una cum consilio Sophiae Augustae
adclamatisque sibi laudibus, largita populo munera, primus
ex Grecorum genere in imperio confirmatus est.
quendam Greculum
Quod cernens Grecorum exercitus, ..... et Romano populo
!!!!!!.......

Ι Think it obvious that in Roman Empire,
Greek language did not vanished,
BUT MAYBE IT WAS LINGUA FRANCA IN SOME ROMAN LEGIONS
As also Jiresec Line is an indicator
from Diocletianus division to primary Latin Speaking areas and to primary Greek Speaking areas
Diocletianos divided the army and the empire to 2 speaking areas,

IN FACT THE CITY NEVIODUNUM MIGHT BE A FULL GREEK CITY ABOVE JIRESEC LINE.
ALL THE ARCHAIOLOGICAL FINDINGS SHOW CLEAR A FULL GREEK, OR PRIMARY A GREEK SPEAKING CITY, ABOVE JIRESEC LINE.

from the times of Floris Romer the Greek findings in Pannonia are not measured anymore,
Yet is not considered a Greek preferacture of Roman empire,
and it is logical, I think

Mocsy and Barkoscy studied a lot the Greek existance in Pannonia above Jiresek line
While Kovacs estimates at least 10% of Sirmium were Greek
which raises by the Surus (Greeks from East, mainly Syrria) to bigger ratio
The lowest ratio is in Dacia estimated 2%

that is why Jiresec line is an indicator line, and not a frontier line

Last edited:
Oh Really,

In Italy there was a city named Ravena,
a historian mentions that there the Roman Legions THAT SPOKE GREEK,
So The possibility to eliminate Greek, at Roman Empire is tottaly out of Question

The Sirmium

Sirmium is consider the center of Division among Latin and Greek,
Yet archaiology has proved that Greek were spoken among Roman Legions at Sirmium
SOmething that was against Diocletianus division to Romania and Romylia,
Latin Speaking and Greek speaking.

so What MacLeod's proposal has a basis on definition of Jirecec Line,
Archaiology proves that,
THEY FOUND HUNDRENDS OF GREEK CURSES AND OTHER NORTH OF JIRESEC LINE
NORTH OF SIRMIUM

In the thread about Paleo Balcanic languages i learned that you are a user with more than one account. This is the last time that i answer to you. Stop quoting me.

I appeal to the moderators of this forum. Is it possible to guarantee a normal discussion in this forum? This member who currently uses one of his accounts with the nickname Yetos, regularly destroys any discussion. This is a thread on the Albanian language. Of course everyone is free to participate in this discussion, but the intention of this individual is anything but a normal discussion. But I do not want this thread to be closed because this is the intention of this irresponsible individual. The first post of this individual in this thread is a perfect example of his intention.
I appeal to the Albanian members and to all members who are interested to partecipate in the discussion here, to ignore the presence of this individual.

Let's "globalize" a little. We are from Earth? Extent to Milky Way? close to Andromeda with an extension to Wide Space?

In the thread about Paleo Balcanic languages i learned that you are a user with more than one account. This is the last time that i answer to you. Stop quoting me.

I appeal to the moderators of this forum. Is it possible to guarantee a normal discussion in this forum? This member who currently uses one of his accounts with the nickname Yetos, regularly destroys any discussion. This is a thread on the Albanian language. Of course everyone is free to participate in this discussion, but the intention of this individual is anything but a normal discussion. But I do not want this thread to be closed because this is the intention of this irresponsible individual. The first post of this individual in this thread is a perfect example of his intention.
I appeal to the Albanian members and to all members who are interested to partecipate in the discussion here, to ignore the presence of this individual.

I discuss,

I read your posts,
and I answer,

Isn't this DISCUSSION?

YOU WANT TO MAKE A MONOLOGUE?

Let's "globalize" a little. We are from Earth? Extent to Milky Way? close to Andromeda with an extension to Wide Space?

to some here yes,
and more ...

This thread has been viewed 594387 times.

Back