White Brazilian (Me) - GEdmatch Results Eurogenes K13 and MDLP K16.

Yea, you definitely look 100% white European. You could easily pass for more central/northern European than Spanish/Iberian. Then again, as an American, my idea of a Brazilian is someone like Adriana Lima or Neymar. I think we often forget how diverse people are in South America.

That's incorrect. A massive study was done on the subject, and the number of "white" Americans with "secret" SSA is extremely small. The vast majority of people in the U.S. have absolutely no SSA. Where it shows up most, predictably enough, is in the southern slave states.

The British were not like the Portuguese. The admixed children they produced were firmly relegated to the "black" world where they admixed with people with more SSA, not less.

See:
"The Genetic Ancestry of African Americans, Latinos and European Americans Across the U.S.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0002929714004765

"Using a less conservative threshold, approximately 3.5% of European Americans have 1% or more African ancestry

(
Figure S8). Individuals with African ancestry are found at much higher frequencies in states in the South than in other parts of the US: about 5% of self-reported European Americans living in South Carolina and Louisiana have at least 2% African ancestry. Lowering the threshold to at least 1% African ancestry (potentially arising from one African genealogical ancestor within the last 11 generations), European Americans with African ancestry comprise as much as 12% of European Americans from Louisiana and South Carolina and about 1 in 10 individuals in other parts of the South (Figure S8)."

African-Ancestry-in-White-Americans.jpg

My home state doesn't seem to have many

My home state doesn't seem to have many

Mine either.

It's basically a southern U.S. phenomenom, and it's a few percent in about 10% of the population. That works out to about 1/64 ancestors or so.

Perhaps the closest other example is the Afrikaners, although in South Africa it's almost the whole population which has a few percent of mostly a mix of Malay, Indian and African.

I can see this happening in Louisiana with all the cajuns, creoles and very mixed population being the norm there compared to other Southern states. New Orleans was a definite melting pot and attracted people from the West Indies, Spain, France etc. due to its location.

Yea, you definitely look 100% white European. You could easily pass for more central/northern European than Spanish/Iberian. Then again, as an American, my idea of a Brazilian is someone like Adriana Lima or Neymar. I think we often forget how diverse people are in South America.

Hello, Marty.
Brazil is a very diverse and respect for diversity is one of the first things we learn because the diversity is in school, on the streets and everywhere. There is no place for racial prejudice in Brazil and this is a crime by here. It matters our culture, not our ethnicity. Gisele Bündchen, Adriana Lima, Neymar are just a few examples of our diversity.
Big hug.

Hello, Marty.
Brazil is a very diverse and respect for diversity is one of the first things we learn because the diversity is in school, on the streets and everywhere. There is no place for racial prejudice in Brazil and this is a crime by here. It matters our culture, not our ethnicity. Gisele Bündchen, Adriana Lima, Neymar are just a few examples of our diversity.
Big hug.

I thought a mixed person is called mulato! You keep saying white! Its not the same!

I thought a mixed person is called mulato! You keep saying white! Its not the same!

Hello Tutkun Arnaut,

Not in Brazil.
In Brazil are called mulattos the brown people that have the physiognomic traits similar to those of a black but with the skin, obviously, more clear. As I said before, in Brazil nobody requires the pedigree of a human to know if you are pure blood or mestizo. Only those who are interested in comparing a purebred pet do this here.
But for me, the concept of race matters little. If, for you, the fact that I am 95% Iberian + 5% African is enough for me to declare myself mulatto in accordance with his definition of what a mulatto is, I declare myself a mulatto. I am not ashamed to have SSA DNA and I believe that no Brazilian has. We all have SSA DNA, including Gisele Caroline Bündchen and Fernanda Lima. The fact is that if I say in Brazil that I am a mulatto, everyone here will find it strange and all will think that I am making fun of the "real" mulattoes. Former President of Brazil Fernando Henrique Cardoso once declared himself a mulatto and was massacred by the Brazilian press.
But do not worry. When to decide to go on a new tour of Europe, I will include Albania in the script, and if the immigration formulary of your country requires the declaration of ethnicity, I declare myself a mulatto, brown or black. When I am arriving, I will define with my family the best option for declaration. I hope to be welcomed, despite my ethnicity.

Greetings and big hug.
Duarte.

That's incorrect. A massive study was done on the subject, and the number of "white" Americans with "secret" SSA is extremely small. The vast majority of people in the U.S. have absolutely no SSA. Where it shows up most, predictably enough, is in the southern slave states.

USA is the big time exception, since the whole purpose of importing west Africans was for slavery. In Europe, at least in the UK, this might have been the case for some, and for a time, but eventually slavery was abolished and west Africans were treated far better on average than they were in USA. Many of which attained high rank in British society, and while arguably not equal, fared well.

Hello Tutkun Arnaut,

Not in Brazil.
In Brazil are called mulattos the brown people that have the physiognomic traits similar to those of a black but with the skin, obviously, more clear. As I said before, in Brazil nobody requires the pedigree of a human to know if you are pure blood or mestizo. Only those who are interested in comparing a purebred pet do this here.
But for me, the concept of race matters little. If, for you, the fact that I am 95% Iberian + 5% African is enough for me to declare myself mulatto in accordance with his definition of what a mulatto is, I declare myself a mulatto. I am not ashamed to have SSA DNA and I believe that no Brazilian has. We all have SSA DNA, including Gisele Caroline Bündchen and Fernanda Lima. The fact is that if I say in Brazil that I am a mulatto, everyone here will find it strange and all will think that I am making fun of the "real" mulattoes. Former President of Brazil Fernando Henrique Cardoso once declared himself a mulatto and was massacred by the Brazilian press.
But do not worry. When to decide to go on a new tour of Europe, I will include Albania in the script, and if the immigration formulary of your country requires the declaration of ethnicity, I declare myself a mulatto, brown or black. When I am arriving, I will define with my family the best option for declaration. I hope to be welcomed, despite my ethnicity.

Greetings and big hug.
Duarte.

I wouldn't waste your time with that country. You've already been more than patient with the t-roll. I need to bite my tongue else be banned.

USA is the big time exception, since the whole purpose of importing west Africans was for slavery. In Europe, at least in the UK, this might have been the case for some, and for a time, but eventually slavery was abolished and west Africans were treated far better on average than they were in USA. Many of which attained high rank in British society, and while arguably not equal, fared well.

Sorry, how does your comment relate in any way whatsoever to my post????

That was a rhetorical question. It doesn't.

As for Britain and slavery, the number of black people who made it to Britain was infinitesimable compared to the U.S. and absolutely no danger to your status quo. In some southern counties the percentage was 50% slave.

That's of course in no way meant to be a justification. It's an explanation.

Second of all, while it's admirable Britain abolished slavery, they helped created it with the Triangular Trade. I would suggest you read up on it before you climb up onto your righteous high horse. The mills of northern England were also kept running on southern cotton, and they continued to clamour for it all through the Civil War. The money from cotton fueled the Confederacy.

Plus, it almost seems from your post that you've forgotten or never knew that Britain ruled many islands in the Caribbean and those sugar fields were manned by black slaves. You think life was a bed of roses for them? You think there was no cat o'nine tales, no rape of native women? Where do you think light skinned Bajans come from?

This all smacks of incredible hypocrisy if you ask me. Hasn't France always maintained that's a bedrock characteristic of England?
The+triangular+trade+network+was+a+series+of+trade+routes+that+linked+Africa%2C+the+New+World+colonies%2C+and+Europe..jpg

The moral of this story: don't attack others unless your hands are clean.

Also, some knowledge of your own country's history helps too.

As does reading comprehension.

Inconsequential, but, in American parlance a mulatto is half black, half white, i.e. Barack Obama. From my understanding Latin America in general has lots of words for the various admixtures. I'm sure Brazil does as well, until the appearance is basically white.

Hahah wow. I just helped my 5th grader with his social studies homework and one of the topics was the triangular trade network in the U.S. colonies. You could make the argument that Great Britain perhaps has had the most negative impact worldwide when it comes to the subjugation and exploitation of indigenous peoples around the world.

I wouldn't waste your time with that country. You've already been more than patient with the t-roll. I need to bite my tongue else be banned.

Hello Aaron.
I have great sympathy for Canada and Canadians. My son completed high school at a high school in the town of Langley, near Vancouver, and along with him I had the opportunity to meet Canada from Coast to Coast. Wonderful. I'd rather not get into arguments about black slavery. There are no saints in this history, and all European colonial powers, without exception, carry their share of guilt. In the colonial city of Ouro Preto, near Belo Horizonte, in the Museu da Inconfidência, there is a wing dedicated to slavery. In it can be seen shackles, chains, whips, in short, everything that was used to mark, to whip, to torture, to arrest blacks. A true chamber of horrors that immediately undoes any romanticized image of slavery in Brazil. I know that my maternal grandfather's family was made up of slave masters, and I only hope that my SSA DNA has come to me consensually and not because of the rape of some slave girl in the slave quarters.
Greetings and a big hug.
Duarte.

So far as I know, only in the U.S. was the "one drop" rule applied. Of course, they had to prove it, which is why people were forced to leave their areas, families etc.

Horrible, all of it, but Brazil's way of dealing with it was more sensible. It worked the same way in Cuba and South Africa.

I wonder if the US will ever abandon the shockingly, openly racist "one drop rule", which essentially equates African ancestry with a stain that, in no matter how inexpressive of an amount, entirely spoils and negates a person's non-African ancestry. This view goes hand in hand with the rule which stated that a black person was worth three fifths of a white one. I find it really strange that even African-Americans still embrace it to this day.

On a sidenote, we have an Albanian in the thread acting like he's an aristocratic plantation owner from Virginia. God bless the internet.

On a sidenote, we have an Albanian in the thread acting like he's an aristocratic plantation owner from Virginia. God bless the internet.

Who knows? It could be the language barrier and maybe something got lost in the translation. I'm always willing to give some the benefit of the doubt but it sure didn't look good.

I wonder if the US will ever abandon the shockingly, openly racist "one drop rule", which essentially equates African ancestry with a stain that, in no matter how inexpressive of an amount, entirely spoils and negates a person's non-African ancestry. This view goes hand in hand with the rule which stated that a black person was worth three fifths of a white one. I find it really strange that even African-Americans still embrace it to this day.

The “one drop rule” doesn’t exist anymore in the US, it was adopted by some States, but not at the Federal level.
Some of your comments are only your opinion.

Hello Tutkun Arnaut,

Not in Brazil.

Greetings and big hug.
Duarte.

You and everyone is welcomed in Albania my friend. If you really intend to visit Albania, i suggest you to have a look to this thread to get more information:
Discover Albania

The “one drop rule” doesn’t exist anymore the US, it was adopted by some States, but not at the Federal level.
The rest of your comments are only your opinion.

I am very much aware that it doesn't legally exist anymore, but it is still a major parameter and criterion for race relations in the US.

Yes, he is a trolll, meanwhile you are a racist.

You and everyone is welcomed in Albania my friend. If you really intend to visit Albania, i suggest you to have a look to this thread to get more information:
Discover Albania

Thanks for the kindness LABERIA. I will access the link you have sent (Thread: Discover Albania) with great pleasure and to know a little bit more about Albania. Many thanks for your kindness and attention, one more time.
Greetings and a big hug.
Duarte.

This thread has been viewed 26803 times.

Back