Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: White Brazilian (Me) - GEdmatch Results Eurogenes K13 and MDLP K16.

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a2a(m223)(L801)

Quote Originally Posted by Duarte View Post
    Hello, Marty.
    Brazil is a very diverse and respect for diversity is one of the first things we learn because the diversity is in school, on the streets and everywhere. There is no place for racial prejudice in Brazil and this is a crime by here. It matters our culture, not our ethnicity. Gisele Bündchen, Adriana Lima, Neymar are just a few examples of our diversity.
    Big hug.
    I thought a mixed person is called mulato! You keep saying white! Its not the same!

3 months registered10000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Level
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 72.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-L151
    MtDNA haplogroup
    B2

Ethnic group
    Brazilian

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tutkun Arnaut View Post
    I thought a mixed person is called mulato! You keep saying white! Its not the same!
    Hello Tutkun Arnaut,

Not in Brazil.
    In Brazil are called mulattos the brown people that have the physiognomic traits similar to those of a black but with the skin, obviously, more clear. As I said before, in Brazil nobody requires the pedigree of a human to know if you are pure blood or mestizo. Only those who are interested in comparing a purebred pet do this here.
    But for me, the concept of race matters little. If, for you, the fact that I am 95% Iberian + 5% African is enough for me to declare myself mulatto in accordance with his definition of what a mulatto is, I declare myself a mulatto. I am not ashamed to have SSA DNA and I believe that no Brazilian has. We all have SSA DNA, including Gisele Caroline Bündchen and Fernanda Lima. The fact is that if I say in Brazil that I am a mulatto, everyone here will find it strange and all will think that I am making fun of the "real" mulattoes. Former President of Brazil Fernando Henrique Cardoso once declared himself a mulatto and was massacred by the Brazilian press.
    But do not worry. When to decide to go on a new tour of Europe, I will include Albania in the script, and if the immigration formulary of your country requires the declaration of ethnicity, I declare myself a mulatto, brown or black. When I am arriving, I will define with my family the best option for declaration. I hope to be welcomed, despite my ethnicity.

Greetings and big hug.
    Duarte.

Baron Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 196
    Overall activity: 0%

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    That's incorrect. A massive study was done on the subject, and the number of "white" Americans with "secret" SSA is extremely small. The vast majority of people in the U.S. have absolutely no SSA. Where it shows up most, predictably enough, is in the southern slave states.
    USA is the big time exception, since the whole purpose of importing west Africans was for slavery. In Europe, at least in the UK, this might have been the case for some, and for a time, but eventually slavery was abolished and west Africans were treated far better on average than they were in USA. Many of which attained high rank in British society, and while arguably not equal, fared well.

Baron Achievements:

Level
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 196

Hello Tutkun Arnaut,

Not in Brazil.
    In Brazil are called mulattos the brown people that have the physiognomic traits similar to those of a black but with the skin, obviously, more clear. As I said before, in Brazil nobody requires the pedigree of a human to know if you are pure blood or mestizo. Only those who are interested in comparing a purebred pet do this here.
    But for me, the concept of race matters little. If, for you, the fact that I am 95% Iberian + 5% African is enough for me to declare myself mulatto in accordance with his definition of what a mulatto is, I declare myself a mulatto. I am not ashamed to have SSA DNA and I believe that no Brazilian has. We all have SSA DNA, including Gisele Caroline Bündchen and Fernanda Lima. The fact is that if I say in Brazil that I am a mulatto, everyone here will find it strange and all will think that I am making fun of the "real" mulattoes. Former President of Brazil Fernando Henrique Cardoso once declared himself a mulatto and was massacred by the Brazilian press.
    But do not worry. When to decide to go on a new tour of Europe, I will include Albania in the script, and if the immigration formulary of your country requires the declaration of ethnicity, I declare myself a mulatto, brown or black. When I am arriving, I will define with my family the best option for declaration. I hope to be welcomed, despite my ethnicity.

Greetings and big hug.
    Duarte.

I wouldn't waste your time with that country. You've already been more than patient with the t-roll. I need to bite my tongue else be banned.

Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1981 View Post
    USA is the big time exception, since the whole purpose of importing west Africans was for slavery. In Europe, at least in the UK, this might have been the case for some, and for a time, but eventually slavery was abolished and west Africans were treated far better on average than they were in USA. Many of which attained high rank in British society, and while arguably not equal, fared well.
    Sorry, how does your comment relate in any way whatsoever to my post????

That was a rhetorical question. It doesn't.

As for Britain and slavery, the number of black people who made it to Britain was infinitesimable compared to the U.S. and absolutely no danger to your status quo. In some southern counties the percentage was 50% slave.

That's of course in no way meant to be a justification. It's an explanation.

Second of all, while it's admirable Britain abolished slavery, they helped created it with the Triangular Trade. I would suggest you read up on it before you climb up onto your righteous high horse. The mills of northern England were also kept running on southern cotton, and they continued to clamour for it all through the Civil War. The money from cotton fueled the Confederacy.

Plus, it almost seems from your post that you've forgotten or never knew that Britain ruled many islands in the Caribbean and those sugar fields were manned by black slaves. You think life was a bed of roses for them? You think there was no cat o'nine tales, no rape of native women? Where do you think light skinned Bajans come from?

This all smacks of incredible hypocrisy if you ask me. Hasn't France always maintained that's a bedrock characteristic of England?

The moral of this story: don't attack others unless your hands are clean.

Also, some knowledge of your own country's history helps too.

As does reading comprehension.

Inconsequential, but, in American parlance a mulatto is half black, half white, i.e. Barack Obama. From my understanding Latin America in general has lots of words for the various admixtures. I'm sure Brazil does as well, until the appearance is basically white.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 21.0%

Ethnic group
    Northern European

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    Hahah wow. I just helped my 5th grader with his social studies homework and one of the topics was the triangular trade network in the U.S. colonies. You could make the argument that Great Britain perhaps has had the most negative impact worldwide when it comes to the subjugation and exploitation of indigenous peoples around the world.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-L151
    MtDNA haplogroup
    B2

Ethnic group
    Brazilian

I wouldn't waste your time with that country. You've already been more than patient with the t-roll. I need to bite my tongue else be banned.
    Hello Aaron.
    I have great sympathy for Canada and Canadians. My son completed high school at a high school in the town of Langley, near Vancouver, and along with him I had the opportunity to meet Canada from Coast to Coast. Wonderful. I'd rather not get into arguments about black slavery. There are no saints in this history, and all European colonial powers, without exception, carry their share of guilt. In the colonial city of Ouro Preto, near Belo Horizonte, in the Museu da Inconfidência, there is a wing dedicated to slavery. In it can be seen shackles, chains, whips, in short, everything that was used to mark, to whip, to torture, to arrest blacks. A true chamber of horrors that immediately undoes any romanticized image of slavery in Brazil. I know that my maternal grandfather's family was made up of slave masters, and I only hope that my SSA DNA has come to me consensually and not because of the rape of some slave girl in the slave quarters.
    Greetings and a big hug.
    Duarte.

Level
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 584

So far as I know, only in the U.S. was the "one drop" rule applied. Of course, they had to prove it, which is why people were forced to leave their areas, families etc.

Horrible, all of it, but Brazil's way of dealing with it was more sensible. It worked the same way in Cuba and South Africa.
    I wonder if the US will ever abandon the shockingly, openly racist "one drop rule", which essentially equates African ancestry with a stain that, in no matter how inexpressive of an amount, entirely spoils and negates a person's non-African ancestry. This view goes hand in hand with the rule which stated that a black person was worth three fifths of a white one. I find it really strange that even African-Americans still embrace it to this day.

Level

On a sidenote, we have an Albanian in the thread acting like he's an aristocratic plantation owner from Virginia. God bless the internet.

Level

Ethnic group
    Northern European

Quote Originally Posted by Degredado View Post
    On a sidenote, we have an Albanian in the thread acting like he's an aristocratic plantation owner from Virginia. God bless the internet.
    Who knows? It could be the language barrier and maybe something got lost in the translation. I'm always willing to give some the benefit of the doubt but it sure didn't look good.

Three Friends1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Level
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 295
    Overall activity: 80.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

I wonder if the US will ever abandon the shockingly, openly racist "one drop rule", which essentially equates African ancestry with a stain that, in no matter how inexpressive of an amount, entirely spoils and negates a person's non-African ancestry. This view goes hand in hand with the rule which stated that a black person was worth three fifths of a white one. I find it really strange that even African-Americans still embrace it to this day.
    The “one drop rule” doesn’t exist anymore in the US, it was adopted by some States, but not at the Federal level.
    Some of your comments are only your opinion.

Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 346

Ethnic group
    Albanian

Hello Tutkun Arnaut,

Not in Brazil.

Greetings and big hug.
    Duarte.

You and everyone is welcomed in Albania my friend. If you really intend to visit Albania, i suggest you to have a look to this thread to get more information:
    Discover Albania
    17 Dec.
    Paget to the Council.
    Now the Council's letters seem to imply (words quoted) that the King will keep no strangers save the Albanoys.
    Cales, 17 Dec. 1545. Signed.
    O me zhabat në moçale, o me zhgabat lart në male!
    -Petro Nini Luarasi-

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    The “one drop rule” doesn’t exist anymore the US, it was adopted by some States, but not at the Federal level.
    The rest of your comments are only your opinion.
    I am very much aware that it doesn't legally exist anymore, but it is still a major parameter and criterion for race relations in the US.

Three FriendsVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 346

Ethnic group
    Albanian

Yes, he is a trolll, meanwhile you are a racist.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-L151
    MtDNA haplogroup
    B2

Ethnic group
    Brazilian

Quote Originally Posted by LABERIA View Post
    You and everyone is welcomed in Albania my friend. If you really intend to visit Albania, i suggest you to have a look to this thread to get more information:
    Discover Albania
    Thanks for the kindness LABERIA. I will access the link you have sent (Thread: Discover Albania) with great pleasure and to know a little bit more about Albania. Many thanks for your kindness and attention, one more time.
    Greetings and a big hug.
    Duarte.

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

The African-Americans are the ONLY Americans who hold onto it. It's a matter of pride.

Too many people on this forum (not directed at you necessarily) make comments about American history and culture without knowing anything about it.

Nor were the people of the United States the only ones to hold onto distinctions based on percent of ancestry.

Words in Latin America for mixed ancestry people:

During the Spanish colonial period, Spaniards developed a complex caste system based on race, which was used for social control and which also determined a person's rights in society.[22] There were four main categories of race: (1) Peninsular - a Spaniard born in Spain, (2) Criollo (fem. criolla) - a person of Spanish descent born in Mesoamerica, (3) Indio (fem. India) - a person who is a native of, or indigenous to, Mesoamerica, and (4) Negro (fem. Negra) - a person of African slave descent.[22] There were also other caste groups like the Mestizos/Mestizas that had one Spanish and one Indian parent. The Castizos which had one Mestizo parent and one Spanish parent, the children of a Castizo were generally accepted as a Criollo. Mulatto/Mulatta were usually the ones with one Spanish and one black parent, if a mulatto was born in slavery they were considered slaves as well unless the mother was free then they would be free too.."

So, no different than the American terms mulatto, quadroon, octaroon. Mestizo was half and half, castizo one quarter.

I would be very surprised if it were any different in Brazil.

I hardly think this is a better system:

"Unlike the United States where ancestry is used to define race, Latin American scholars came to agree by the 1970s that race in Latin America could not be understood as the “genetic composition of individuals” but instead “based upon a combination of cultural, social, and somatic considerations. In Latin America, a person's ancestry is quite irrelevant to racial classification. For example, full-blooded siblings can often be classified by different races (Harris 1964).[20][21]"

So, of two siblings, the blacker looking one suffers the discrimination while the other one doesn't? Sounds like a great system. In the U.S. the blacker looking one left family behind and "passed". Is that so much worse?

This is what they did in South Africa too, and it was a mess.

See:
    https://www.theguardian.com/theguard.../features11.g2

"Abraham Laing appealed in vain against Sandra's reclassification as coloured and she ended up in a boarding school 900km from home, lonely, a bedwetter. In 1967 she was reclassified white when the law changed to say the child of two white parents could not belong to another racial group. Blood tests proved she was the biological offspring of Abraham and Sannie."

Plus, if it was considered just fine to look black in Latin American, why did the governments urge the "whitening" of the population?
    This attempt to "blame" certain countries for racism while absolving others is ridiculous.

"An important phenomenon described for some parts of Latin America such as Brazil and Mexico is "Whitening" or "Mestizaje" describing the policy of planned racial mixing with the purpose of minimizing the non-white part of the population.[12][13] "

Biologically, blanqueamiento is the process of whitening by marrying a lighter skinned individual in order to produce lighter-skinned offspring.[7]
    Blanqueamiento was enacted in national policies of many Latin American countries, particularly Brazil, Venezuela and Cuba, at the turn of the 20th century.[8][9][10] In most cases, these policies promoted European immigration as a means to whiten the population.[11]"

Level

The African-Americans are the ONLY Americans who hold onto it. It's a matter of pride.

Too many people on this forum (not directed at you necessarily) make comments about American history and culture without knowing anything about it.

Nor were the people of the United States the only ones to hold onto distinctions based on percent of ancestry.

Words in Latin America for mixed ancestry people:

During the Spanish colonial period, Spaniards developed a complex caste system based on race, which was used for social control and which also determined a person's rights in society.[22] There were four main categories of race: (1) Peninsular - a Spaniard born in Spain, (2) Criollo (fem. criolla) - a person of Spanish descent born in Mesoamerica, (3) Indio (fem. India) - a person who is a native of, or indigenous to, Mesoamerica, and (4) Negro (fem. Negra) - a person of African slave descent.[22] There were also other caste groups like the Mestizos/Mestizas that had one Spanish and one Indian parent. The Castizos which had one Mestizo parent and one Spanish parent, the children of a Castizo were generally accepted as a Criollo. Mulatto/Mulatta were usually the ones with one Spanish and one black parent, if a mulatto was born in slavery they were considered slaves as well unless the mother was free then they would be free too.."

So, no different than the American terms mulatto, quadroon, octaroon. Mestizo was half and half, castizo one quarter.

Other terms:

I would be very surprised if it were any different in Brazil.

I hardly think this is a better system:

"Unlike the United States where ancestry is used to define race, Latin American scholars came to agree by the 1970s that race in Latin America could not be understood as the “genetic composition of individuals” but instead “based upon a combination of cultural, social, and somatic considerations. In Latin America, a person's ancestry is quite irrelevant to racial classification. For example, full-blooded siblings can often be classified by different races (Harris 1964).[20][21]"

So, of two siblings, the blacker looking one suffers the discrimination while the other one doesn't? Sounds like a great system. In the U.S. the blacker looking one left family behind and "passed". Is that so much worse?

This is what they did in South Africa too, and it was a mess.

See:
    https://www.theguardian.com/theguard.../features11.g2

"Abraham Laing appealed in vain against Sandra's reclassification as coloured and she ended up in a boarding school 900km from home, lonely, a bedwetter. In 1967 she was reclassified white when the law changed to say the child of two white parents could not belong to another racial group. Blood tests proved she was the biological offspring of Abraham and Sannie."

Plus, if it was considered just fine to look black in Latin American, why did the governments urge the "whitening" of the population?
    This attempt to "blame" certain countries for racism while absolving others is ridiculous.

"An important phenomenon described for some parts of Latin America such as Brazil and Mexico is "Whitening" or "Mestizaje" describing the policy of planned racial mixing with the purpose of minimizing the non-white part of the population.[12][13] "

Biologically, blanqueamiento is the process of whitening by marrying a lighter skinned individual in order to produce lighter-skinned offspring.[7]
    Blanqueamiento was enacted in national policies of many Latin American countries, particularly Brazil, Venezuela and Cuba, at the turn of the 20th century.[8][9][10] In most cases, these policies promoted European immigration as a means to whiten the population.[11]"

You've written nothing but facts, Angela. Still, the concepts you're speaking of - i.e. whitening of the population, rigid classification and hierarchization of people based on phenotype and ancestry - are largely regarded as racist and obsolete in Latin America, whereas the one drop rule continues to be acknowledged as a perfectly acceptable racial guideline to most Americans. To make a very complex discussion short, I think the only thing worse than hyperdescent is hypodescent.

Anyway, my other post wasn't meant to come off as an anti-American rant. This is just one of those socio-cultural peculiarities that make the US so unique, for good and for bad, to everyone else.

Awards:
    Community Award
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

“If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.”

Advisor Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level

Ethnic group
    Italian

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
    You've written nothing but facts, Angela. Still, the concepts you're speaking of - i.e. whitening of the population, rigid classification and hierarchization of people based on phenotype and ancestry - are largely regarded as racist and obsolete in Latin America, whereas the one drop rule continues to be acknowledged as a perfectly acceptable racial guideline to most Americans. To make a very complex discussion short, I think the only thing worse than hyperdescent is hypodescent.

Anyway, my other post wasn't meant to come off as an anti-American rant. This is just one of those socio-cultural peculiarities that make the US so unique, for good and for bad, to everyone else.
    If you think these things are true in 2019 America then you're misinformed or reading the situation incorrectly.

I'm sure nothing will convince you of the reality but I will leave you with an example which illustrates my point: Halle Berry's child is probably less than one quarter black genetically. Berry threw a hissy fit when media publications called the child mixed race and insisted that they refer to her as black. She also dragged the father into court because she thought he had allowed the child to get her hair straightened. Of course, she straigtens HER hair, or wears wigs. It's all political.

To call this child "black" is absurd imo, but it's what her mother wants. When she's old enough she'll decide for herself.

Barack Obama did the same thing. HE did not want to be referred to as mulatto, but as "black".

The practice started with white people, although not in every state, but today it is blacks who drive this classification, not whites. In fact, most of us are afraid NOT to refer to mixed blood people as black lest we be branded as racists who want to deny black ancestry, to make their contribution "invisible".

There are a lot of things to criticize in America and Italy and Spain and Brazil and every other country in the world, so long as you get your facts straight.

Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 702
    Overall activity: 59.0%

Ethnic group
    España

I think the myth of Dracula is idealized, it must be horrible that you suck your blood, I do not know lately the nights are very silent or maybe it is not a myth, I do not want it to be reality.

Princess Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteranThree Friends
    Level
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 87

Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    I think the myth of Dracula is idealized, it must be horrible that you suck your blood, I do not know lately the nights are very silent or maybe it is not a myth, I do not want it to be reality.
    Sorry, could you explain where your post is going?
    mmmmmmmmm dooouuughhhnuuuutz

Awards:
    Community Award
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post
    It happens! :)
    This way, maybe
    https://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...717#post568717

Level

Ethnic group
    Northern European

biracial or multiracial are fairly common terms these days.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-L151
    MtDNA haplogroup
    B2

Ethnic group
    Brazilian

Quote Originally Posted by Salento View Post
    Hello Salento.
    Thank you for your support. I love Carlos. He has a great sense of humor. My father was O +, my mother A +, I am A +, my wife A - and my son A - . By the logic of the topic, whose link you posted, me and my son are points off the curve. In theory, it was for both of us to be women. LOL. I believe vampires are sucking and swapping our blood at night. LOL. But I believe that, with in a good mood, Carlos meant that you should not totally suppress the main genetic inheritance of an individual just because he has a minor genetic contribution from another ethnicity. It is as if a vampire were to come into his bedchamber every night and completely suck the blood of his dominant ethnicity. Well, that's speculation of mine. Only Carlos can explain better. Hugs to you and to our dear friend Carlos. I take the opportunity to say that I am a regular donor of blood, making a donation every six months. I invite all those in the forum who, if they can, to become them blood donors. It is a matter of solidarity with others.
    Greetings everyone.
    Duarte.

1 year registered

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2a2a(m223)(L801)

Quote Originally Posted by LABERIA View Post
    Yes, he is a trolll, meanwhile you are a racist.
    Why a T- roll? Its a genuine question for an European person! Don't we call Mulato a mixed race person? What would you call a genuine white Brazilian? There is a significant portion of Brazilian population with full European ancestry. Koreans have lighter skin, why don't we call them white? If the skin shade was to determine the whiteness . As for the person that despise our country not to worry! That person could be a "white Brazilian". Canada has a sizeable portion of its population with Mexican ancestry who also call themselves white.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast