Newbie at forum

emdgp40

Reaction score
Y-DNA haplogroup
I1
Italian I1

Hello there,
i am newbie so i apologize for this 3d . I have been looking if some answer would fit, but no.
So here i am.

I have just got my result on FTDNA (y37). And the result is I M253 (I1).
I am italian since at least 8 generations, white, male.

Ok now what ? what next? how do i know my subclades?
whats is next step?
thank you for the answer.

Last edited:
Hello there,
i am newbie so i apologize for this 3d . I have been looking if some answer would fit, but no.
So here i am.

I have just got my result on FTDNA (y37). And the result is I M253 (I1).
I am italian since at least 8 generations, white, male.

Ok now what ? what next? how do i know my subclades?
whats is next step?
thank you for the answer.

Hi! Your Italian I1 is probably due to either Langobard or Norman migration. However, it could be from the Goths or Vandals as well. If you are serious about learning more I recommend upgrading to Big Y-500 during Ftdna’s next sale. It will be around $500 but you’ll get 111 STR markers and all of your known SNPs and Unnamed Variants will be unlocked. Also, if you have any close matches at 37 markers you might want to email them suggesting to upgrade too in order to possibly form new subclade branches on the I1 Haplotree.

Welcome to the forum and the I1 club. My Italian in-laws are Sicilian-American but had a very Nordic branch of R1b. They were surprised but in the same situation as yourself.

If you have had a test on Ancestry . com then you can get a little bit of Y data from that test file.

If you are truly interested in deep ancestry of your fatherline then save up and buy the BigY500 during a sale.

This thread has been viewed 3561 times.

Back