Ethnic group
North Alpine Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
mtDNA haplogroup
H95a1 ..Pannoni
interesting
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46855088
I thought Paeonia would be better to reflect its ancient lands.
Oh well, Greeks can only blame themselves, they should have complained when Tito name the southern yugoslav land/region , Macedonia

Paeonia disappeared during Roman times,was split between provinces of Moesia and Macedonia.

And actually the geographic name Macedonia exists long before Tito.
Republic of Macedonia was formed after ww2 within Yugoslavia and since 1991 is independent country.

The new country name should be Republic of North Macedonia.

Under the proposed agreement, the country's language will be called Macedonian and its people known as Macedonians (citizens of the Republic of North Macedonia).

interesting
Oh well, Greeks can only blame themselves, they should have complained when Tito name the southern yugoslav land/region , Macedonia

I see it as EU hypocrisy! Most of evidence is that Macedonia was not Greek in antiquity at least until 4 century ad. Spoke different language, conquered Greek states and many other compromising evidence! Or lets not get it in the argument was or was not, the sure thing is there is no firm evidence Macedonia was Greek. The EU states know this, because from this states, there are historical publications that dispute fact that Macedonians of antiquity were Greeks. Even so they choose to take Greek side unfortunately. People of that region have called themselves Macedonians regardless of being or not connected to antiquity, so why make them change the name because of an absurdity. Macedonia is around 1 million people and posed no risk whatsoever to anybody, the name change was offensive to the people of Macedonia. For the sake of justice Cyprus with major border problems and being basically a non European country was open the door and called European country without being one, Turkey regardless being geographically European and genetically most European is refused. Mostly I blame Germans since they have most publications that deny Macedonians being Greek, and still sided with Greece.

interesting
It's all a game. The Greeks never wanted an agreement but they always hoped that NO would come from the side of FYROM. But FYROM played until now an intelligent game. Now the Greeks are in front of the fait accompli and they do not know what to do now. Have you ever played dominoes? The most ridiculous moment is when the loser stays with the double 6 in his hand. Exactly this happened. The resignation of Kamenos is ridiculous like the resignation of the former Foreign Minister Kotzias. At the first sight Tsipras and Kamenos seem two opponents in two diametrically opposite political camps. But it's all a game. Tsipras and Kamenos know each other since their childhood. They grew up in the same neighborhood of Athens, playing together, etc. They are compagni di merende, :grin:.

North Macedonia is a great name. It is part of Roman and Ottoman Macedonia and also Byzantine Macedonia was in Thrace.

It should have been called Western Bulgaria. The language is Bulgarian derived.

As to whether Macedonian were Greek or not, Wikipedia has an excellent article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Macedonian_language
Just remember that in ancient times, due to geographic isolation, each area developed a lot of idiomatic words and expressions. For example, Attic Greek and Dorian Greek or Aolean Greek. From my own life, the language my grandparents spoke was a lot different than the Greek spoken in Crete or Pontic Greek or Eptanesean Greek and far from the spoken and written Modern Greek of today. Sometimes a village 10-15 miles away would have their own idiomatic expressions.

Greece and North Macedonia make peace with selfies and air pact
By Euronews
02/04/2019

It was all smiles and selfies as Alexis Tsipras became the first Greek prime minister to pay an official visit since 1991 to the newly named North Macedonia on Tuesday in a display of newly-friendly relations since a near 30-year name dispute was settled earlier this year.

Hoping to lay the groundwork for new ties between Greece and North Macedonia, Tsipras and North Macedonian Prime Minister Zoran Zaev signed a new agreement for air patrols on Wednesday.

404x277_cmsv2_b3f22ee1-b9ed-5a08-8016-fb2d34cb5d7e-3770284.jpg

Reuters

The Alternate Foreign Minister, Sia Anagnostopoulou, spoke to Euronews on the importance of this visit less than a year after the signing of the Prespa Agreement.

The Prespa agreement saw The Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia change its name to North Macedonia. It was hoped that this would settle the dispute over a territory in Greece which is also called Macedonia.

“The culture of mutual understanding and mutual trust dominated by the Prespa Agreement is practically implemented with this visit. The agreements to be signed there are to the mutual benefit of the citizens of both countries. It’s very important because we see that these were requests of the local societies which now, thanks to the Prespa Agreement, are involved in the big picture” said Anagnostopoulou.

The Minister commented on the issue of the commercial use of the adjective Macedonian that has come up in recent international exhibitions and fairs, concerning the use of Macedonian name for Greek products.

“We know that businesses from North Macedonia were using, until the signing of the Prespa Agreement, the name Macedonian but mainly they claimed that the products were coming from the Republic of Macedonia, which was then the constitutional name of the country. There was an issue raised for an exhibition in China, but no one knows that since 2000 and until the signing of Prespa Agreement at least 10 Greek businesses could not have the name “Macedonian”, because there was no deal between the two countries” Anagnostopoulou told Euronews.

_CORRECTION: We mistakenly write that Tsipras met with North Macedonia's President, Gjorge Ivanov. He did not, he met with Zoran Zaev. We apologise for the error. _

They should have just gone with Slavonia.

If Vlachs and Albanians (including Orthodox ones) could finally wake up and become the majority there then I'll find no problem calling it Paeonia or North Macedonia.

They should have just gone with Slavonia.

If Vlachs and Albanians (including Orthodox ones) could finally wake up and become the majority there then I'll find no problem calling it Paeonia or North Macedonia.

But this country is not inhabitated only by Slavs and for this reason names Slavic, Slavonia, etc, was out of the question.

It should have been called Western Bulgaria. The language is Bulgarian derived.

As to whether Macedonian were Greek or not, Wikipedia has an excellent article on it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Macedonian_language
Just remember that in ancient times, due to geographic isolation, each area developed a lot of idiomatic words and expressions. For example, Attic Greek and Dorian Greek or Aolean Greek. From my own life, the language my grandparents spoke was a lot different than the Greek spoken in Crete or Pontic Greek or Eptanesean Greek and far from the spoken and written Modern Greek of today. Sometimes a village 10-15 miles away would have their own idiomatic expressions.

Pontic Greek is considered another language from Greek. The same as Tsakonian. All three related anyway

Pontic Greek is considered another language from Greek. The same as Tsakonian. All three related anyway

it is like you tell us Tosk or Geg are another language from Albanian.

it is like you tell us Tosk or Geg are another language from Albanian.

I did read, that aren't mutually intelligible. Tosk and Gheg to the other hand are mutually intelligible. Even if Tosk and Gheg wouldn't be mutually intelligible, still it would not be a problem. Still both descent from Albanian language.

I did read, that aren't mutually intelligible. Tosk and Gheg to the other hand are mutually intelligible. Even if Tosk and Gheg wouldn't be mutually intelligible, still it would not be a problem. Still both descent from Albanian language.

Pontic Greek due to its isolation from mainland had developed its own dialect. Cretan Greek the same thing. Grico Greek in Calabria also developed another dialect. Now we're talking about what the 90-100 yo grandfathers would speak in the villages high up in the mountains. Nowadays, everybody can understand everybody.

This thread has been viewed 7728 times.

Back