Diet of Neolithic people in southeastern Europe

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
https://phys.org/news/2019-01-insights-neolithic-people-ate-southeastern.html

"The Iron Gates is a unique landscape on the border between modern-day Romania and Serbia where the Danube cuts through the junction of the Balkan and Carpathian mountain chains. It provided a rich wild aquatic resource base for prehistoric hunter-fisher-foragers during the Late Glacial and early Holocene.As farming spread from south west Asia into Europe, prehistoric diets ultimately transformed towards a diet based upon domesticated plants and animals. However, in this region, evidence has suggested that wild resources may have continued to be important well into the early Neolithic.
This research involved analysis of organic residues surviving in the fabric of 8,000-year-old Neolithic pottery excavated from sites on the banks of the Danube.
Chemical analyses allowed scientists to directly see what kinds of resources were being prepared in these newly-appearing pots and compare this with the way the same type of pottery was being used by farmers in the wider Balkans region."

"It is possible that farmers were attracted to this location by the impressive aquatic resources available including huge sturgeon which swam up the river from the Black Sea.It may also be that Late Mesolithic dietary practices are continuing here, but now using new Neolithic pottery as a result of these early interactions between Mesolithic and Neolithic communities."

R1b-V88 and I2a-CTS10057 lived as HG in the Iron Gates area since 10 ka.
Both spread as herders or farmers after 8 ka.
Both arrived in EN Iberia, probably with carded ware.
R1b-V88 also spread in the Green Sahara.
Globular amphora were I2a-CTS10057, and later they spread along Germanic tribes.
Another branch of I2a-CTS10057 came along with the first farmer to the British Isles.
I think they were very succesfull in combining farming and herding with hunting and fishing.

R1b-V88 and I2a-CTS10057 lived as HG in the Iron Gates area since 10 ka.
Both spread as herders or farmers after 8 ka.
Both arrived in EN Iberia, probably with carded ware.
R1b-V88 also spread in the Green Sahara.
Globular amphora were I2a-CTS10057, and later they spread along Germanic tribes.
Another branch of I2a-CTS10057 came along with the first farmer to the British Isles.
I think they were very succesfull in combining farming and herding with hunting and fishing.
I thought the Hunter-gatherers of that area did not contribute to future Europeans. Wasn't that what Mathiesen said?

I don't think the I2 men absorbed by the farmers of the Cardial Ware migrations necessarily came from the Iron Gates.

It seems to me some men with certain haplogroups just got lucky by being picked up by successful larger migrations. I think,for example, that E-V13 might be an example from the Bronze Age.

Or maybe, being a woman I don't attach any great power to certain y lines or seek to attribute accomplishments to them. :) I don't even do that for my U2e mitochondrial DNA, and that controls a hell of a lot more about me than y DNA does for a man.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the Hunter-gatherers of that area did not contribute to future Europeans. Wasn't that what Mathiesen said?

I don't think the I2 men absorbed by the farmers of the Cardial Ware migrations necessarily came from the Iron Gates.

It seems to me some men with certain haplogroups just got lucky by being picked up by successful larger migrations. I think,for example, that E-V13 might be an example from the Bronze Age.

Or maybe, being a woman I don't attach any great power to certain y lines or seek to attribute accomplishments to them. :) I don't even do that for my U2e mitochondrial DNA, and that controls a hell of a lot more about me than y DNA does for a man.

the Y-DNA persisted and spread further
the autosomal changed
a study with isotope analasis and burrial customs showed that when the Anatolian farmers came into contact with the Iron Gates, the population became Iron Gates HG males and farmers females
the hunting and fishing grounds in the Iron Gates were so good, the farmers daughters chose a life in the Iron Gates
at least for a while, till the area got overpopulated

the same in pitted ware
over 90 % of Y-DNA is I2, but mtDNA is 50-50 WHG daughters and farmers daughters

and no, this is not the only branch of I2 that generated farmers
in megalithic farmers there were a lot of I2 too

This thread has been viewed 2679 times.

Back