Do Hallstat Celts have some role in the formation of West Germanic ethnicities?

Some Czech authors seem thinking the Bylany Hallstatt culture (North and NW of Czechia), whose territory was partly shared with Billendorf Urnfield culture (center in E-Saxony) was somehow distinct from the Hallstatt "Tumuli" culture neighbouring them in South and W-SW Czechia; this last one would be a continuation of the tumuli cultures already present there since before Urnfields; I think personally that this tumuli culture was already Celtic: some of these people crossed Moravia to SW Poland just before the Urnfield period which became the Lusacian culture (from their own evolution or acculturation by another folk?) # different I think from the "Rich Tumuli" of Saxony before Urnfield, present in North Czechia too. So in my mind I don't attach to closely the Hallstatt Tumuli C. (more southern) to future Germanics. But I'm not very knowledged in archeology.
I 've to read this study about Bylany, where diverse authors are cited, not by force in accord all of them about the unity of 'tumuli' cultures or 'hallstatt' cultures.

This is epic:
https://timesmachine.nytimes.com/timesmachine/1907/06/23/106756317.pdf
Eating dog meat and horse meat was quite common in Germany :) .
That is clearly a Celtic cultural thing.
So, coupled with the paternal lines of Germans, which if you take R1B-P312+R1B-U106 plus G are making even 75% in some areas, I would say, that culturally and genetically Germans are rather Hallstatt Celts.
Not Germanic people.
Add the fact that most German people are very attracted to the extreme sports which is something that should also come from their Celtic genes.
Celts are recorded to have been very bold people.
As for being warrior like, Germans have been most warrior nation of Europe.
Another cultural thing and genetic thing, derived from their Celtic ancestry and culture.

A linguistic argument:
In Old Norse, Swedish,Norwegian,Danish,Faroesse,Icelandic, Gothic languages, the verb is put in the middle of the sentence.
However, in German, Dutch the verb is put at the end of the sentence.
That is resembling only Latin, from European languages.
There is not known what language Hallstatt Celtic tribes were speaking, but we can suppose that the fact German is putting the verb at the end of the sentence comes from the language of the Hallstatt Celts.

Y DNA Argumens:
Most Germany areas have R1B-L21.
Prussia, which is conquered from Baltic people, do not have R1B-L21.
Some areas, fewer some more, but Alsatia/South Baden has 15% R1B-L21.
East Pomerania has 10% R1B-L21.
This R1B-L21 should be from the Bell Beakers.

Switzerland have R1B-U106 making most of their paternal lines.
23% of Switzerland paternal lines are R1B-U106.
Switzerland people are known to have been Celtic tribes, not Germanic tribes.
As a strange thing, highest R1B-U106 from Germany is in Lower Saxony, 29%, followed by Eifel area with 26% and Bavaria with 24%.

R1B-U152:
Most areas of Germany have R1B-U152.
Wurtemberg West has 21% R1B-U152. Highest R1B-U152 from Germany.

R1B-DF27 - Most areas of Germany got R1B-DF27.

R1B-L23 generic - Most areas of Germany also got "generic" R1B-L23.

Having so many clades of R1B is only found in Republic of Ireland, besides Germany from the whole world.
Germany also got the G Y DNA, which is also Celtic, in most areas.
As a strange thing, Switzerland also got R1A-M458.

A linguistic argument:
In Old Norse, Swedish,Norwegian,Danish,Faroesse,Icelandic, Gothic languages, the verb is put in the middle of the sentence.
However, in German, Dutch the verb is put at the end of the sentence.
That is resembling only Latin, from European languages.
There is not known what language Hallstatt Celtic tribes were speaking, but we can suppose that the fact German is putting the verb at the end of the sentence comes from the language of the Hallstatt Celts.

Y DNA Argumens:
Most Germany areas have R1B-L21.
Prussia, which is conquered from Baltic people, do not have R1B-L21.
Some areas, fewer some more, but Alsatia/South Baden has 15% R1B-L21.
East Pomerania has 10% R1B-L21.
This R1B-L21 should be from the Bell Beakers.

Switzerland have R1B-U106 making most of their paternal lines.
23% of Switzerland paternal lines are R1B-U106.
Switzerland people are known to have been Celtic tribes, not Germanic tribes.
As a strange thing, highest R1B-U106 from Germany is in Lower Saxony, 29%, followed by Eifel area with 26% and Bavaria with 24%.

R1B-U152:
Most areas of Germany have R1B-U152.
Wurtemberg West has 21% R1B-U152. Highest R1B-U152 from Germany.

R1B-DF27 - Most areas of Germany got R1B-DF27.

R1B-L23 generic - Most areas of Germany also got "generic" R1B-L23.

Having so many clades of R1B is only found in Republic of Ireland, besides Germany from the whole world.
Germany also got the G Y DNA, which is also Celtic, in most areas.
As a strange thing, Switzerland also got R1A-M458.

- I would prefer have the syntax of ancient Germanic than to comparate modern Germanic languages.
Concerning Y-haplo's it seems to me that the post-L11 bearers of R1b lineages having given U106 were clearly separated from the ones having given P312, geographically speaking - the today distribution of Y-U106 (and Y-I1) in Switzerland and Southern Germany does not tell us nothing about the ancient distribution there between BA and IA. I have nothing concerning LBA or EIA but at BB's ages, it seems there were R1b-U152 in S-Germany and no R1b-U106 (except error of mine) – it seems Y-R1b U106 became dense after the High Middle Ages in Switzerland and S-Germany and surely Austria ; only ancient Y-haplo’s could show us the reality – I don’t find just now what has been written about Y-haplo’s of 500’s Bavarians and Longobards.
it’s a dangerous game, but if we try to make the today distributions to speak, roughly said, U152 has been pushed southwestwards by northern U106 – in Eastern Germany, it’s U106 which has been pushed westwards, surely at Middle Ages, by Slavs (they came as far as Bavaria and Schleswig and left some traces there) – for what I think, U152 was dense among Celtic Belgae (today Belgium, SW Germany, NE France), other IA Celts (E Gauls) and ancient Ligurians of NW Italy, Corsica and SE France, surely less among Italics.
- R1b-L21 among today Germanic lands on the continent was maybe present without British Isles migrations on the continent (L21, at first came from the continent into Britain and Ireland) – But at those times, there is few chances they would have been among Germanic tribes – (the L21 case in W-Norway is another story, i think : Vikings linked but also maybe BB’s linked : the seas were not an obstacle then, we know that, and BB’s there could come from Denmark as well as from Britain) -
- So, before I know more, I ‘ll say that the only R1b very typial of Germanics was the U106 one, and associated with Y-I1 (in South, the input of R1a among Germanics seem having been weak.

& : and NO : L21 doesn’t reach 10 % in Pomerania, and doesn’t reach 15 % in Elsass ! Where get your %’s ?
Y-G has nothing specifically Celtic - it had more survived in some aeras of Europe, without specific link with an IE subgroup.
R1a-M458 is seemingly Slavic by origin and I said Slavs occupied Bavaria, so why not Switzerland; OK, but at what percentage??? according to Eupedia (here!) The whole of the country is under the 1%, only a small part in contact with Austria has between 1 and 5%!

to do short, first Germans was very north shifted, even if they had contacts as "pupils" with Celts at some stage -
they were not a compound where Celts took a big part and exchanged Y-lineages and were even closer to first Italics and Balto-Slavs - the post-350/400 AD story is another thing, Germanics mixed with diverse precedent pops among them Celts, Rhaetians and Latins, mix which made the today SW Germans (and not Germanics) - here we can agree -

And eating Horse and Dog meat, which was quite common in Germany?
Dog meat was also eaten in Switzerland and France.
That was a Celtic custom.
https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threa...cient-Celts-were-eating-dog-meat-occasionally
But eating Horse meat, was only encountered in Ireland, at a coronation of a new King.
This custom, to eat Horse meat, was another Celtic cultural thing.

Switzerland was very Celtic,so is not possible to have such a significant percentage of R1B-U106, from Germanic people.
I looked on y DNA of various Germany ethnics and it seems that I1 and I2 are higher in NW Germany but are low,in South Germany.

This thread has been viewed 25846 times.

Back