Politics Greek parliament approves Macedonia's new name

Milan.M

Reaction score
A lengthy, stormy debate in Greece's 300-seat parliament concluded on Friday with a majority of 153 legislators voting in favour of a deal seeking to end the two neighbours' long-running dispute by renaming the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia as the Republic of North Macedonia. A total of 146 MPs voted against the deal and one abstained.

Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras, who hammered out the deal with his Macedonian counterpart last year, hailed the ratification as a "historic day."
"Today we write a new page for the Balkans. The hatred of nationalism, dispute and conflict will be replaced by friendship, peace and cooperation," Tsipras said.

Macedonian Prime Minister Zoran Zaev sent his congratulations via Twitter: "Together with our peoples we reached a historic victory. Long live the Prespa Agreement! For eternal peace and progress of the Balkans and in Europe!"

https://www.dw.com/en/greece-approves-macedonia-name-change/a-47227133

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/01/greek-parliament-approves-macedonia-190124060302464.html

So we have the county of
North Macedonia
who are to be known as Macedonians worldwide
and who speak a recognized language called Macedonia
I wonder why the Greeks accepted this ?

Congratulations to the both countries. Finally this problem seems to have been solved. This is very positive for the whole region because it means one less problem in this region that has always been considered as the gunpowder barrel of Europe.
Now we hope for an agreement between Albania and Greece on unresolved issues, first of all regarding the Albanian minority that now lives in the Greek part of Epirus and in the Western part of Greek Macedonia, but especially the question of the Cham, Albanians natives of Epirus driven from their land after the end of WWII and many other issues.

I would to resolve your bug on website

I would to resolve your bug on website. Please write!! It is good directory? rixterwanse

It is not the Greeks who accept this.

It the minority of 22% that rules, plus those green pappers from Geoffrey.

67% in Gallup said clear No and 10 % I do not know.

THE DESICION IS ILLEGAL SINCE 180 Parliamentals 2/3 and has 153 51%,
But In Greece from 1974 he did not organise a constitutional court/judge comittee
So although against Constitution
it passes as illegal until the Constitutioanl Judge be found,

Yet it is not not a Referendum desicion,
so it easily get backed,
no matter the international foreign voices,

In Greece we lived a velvet Dictorship these Days,
where 22% rules the 78 %.

The new era of Makedonian struggle just Begins now.

NO TO RIVER CONNECTION FROM MAKEDONIA TO DANUVE

sillalitirio521823.jpg

Well the majority in Macedonia didn't like northern Macedonia as name either,but is mostly parliament decision,which to me seem right,people here in the Balkans are blinded by nationalism anyway.

The deal after all seem ok to both of the "offended" sides.
And what is your solution Yetos,do you think that Greeks can block a country from Nato and EU membership for life because of some name issue,because you feel "offended"?
I think that Nato decided that Macedonia as northern Macedonia soon will become a member.

Don't want to say this but even before a year, prior to the referendum in Macedonia for name change and ratification by Greek government i knew is done deal already,that Macedonia will changed it's name to northern Macedonia.

The Balkan man should learn for ones that we are nobody in the game of big and decide almost nothing and stop with ridiculous nationalism,move on and cooperate.

Well the majority in Macedonia didn't like northern Macedonia as name either,but is mostly parliament decision,which to me seem right,people here in the Balkans are blinded by nationalism anyway.

And what is your solution Yetos,do you think that Greeks can block a country from Nato and EU membership for life because of some name issue,because you feel "offended"?
I think that Nato decided that Macedonia as northern Macedonia soon will become a member.

Don't want to say this but even before a year, prior to the referendum in Macedonia for name change and ratification by Greek government i knew is done deal already,that Macedonia will changed it's name to northern Macedonia.

The Balkan man should learn for ones that we are nobody in the game of big and decide almost nothing and stop with ridiculous nationalism,move on and cooperate.

To be honest, I can not speak for most of the country. But even as an ethnic Albanian I understand what a sacrifice it is in the region, especially when it comes to pride. Knowing fully well how absurdly history has been taught in our schools.

But I think the main priority of people, and I mean collectively, at this point, is improving the level of civilization and interconnection of the area to the rest of the world. And I would trust the EU more than anyone as an actor in that regard.

For one, I say kudos to both governments, and I hope integration does not wait till next century.

Yet... corruption... above all, at a moral level is rampant in Macedonia. The Albanian party has been in power for 18 years on the back of nationalism. Yet without ever having any coherent platforms, and with completely unqualified hood rats at the helm. Cynicism, you can smell in the air.

Rotten to the core. Thank God its just the bureaucrats and the lawmakers....

As Jesus said "Love thy neighbor".

this is the accepted geographical boundary of Macedonia
both fit inside
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_(region)#/media/File:Greater_Macedonia.png
actually with the acceptance of the name ..north Macedonia, ....................greek macedonia , the province should be renamed south macedonia, to avoid confusion ...like as an example
Tyrol represents all 3 regions of tyrol
even though north-tyrol and east-tyrol are in austria and south-tyrol is in italy
Less confusing if Macedonia is represented as the geographical region as per the link I attached

both fit inside
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_(region)#/media/File:Greater_Macedonia.png

I agree, people who against is radicals

actually with the acceptance of the name ..north Macedonia, ....................greek macedonia , the province should be renamed south macedonia, to avoid confusion ...like as an example
even though north-tyrol and east-tyrol are in austria and south-tyrol is in italy
Less confusing if Macedonia is represented as the geographical region as per the link I attached

I don't know. Because Macedonia division is not like Thrace(Even Greece use name just Thrace, but only have East Thrace). Main core is in Greece, this is reality like how North Macedonia is part of Macedonia. Changing name of core as South Macedonia like it is just a part of it, I realy don't know. I guess, I am not supporting.

SYRIZA member of Parliament explains how half of Macedonia became Greek

From the article:
Macedonia is not one and Greek. There are several Macedonias. The other Macedonia is defined with the Bucharest treaty which bears our, Greek signature. When we hear the chant “Macedonia is one and it is Greek” it is seen as irredentism, as disrespect for the international treaties by our country. Maybe it doesn’t sound too good but it is the truth. Greek Macedonia is Greek, and let me clarify, it was MADE Greek, because until 1912/1913 and 1921/1922, when the refugees came, there was no Greek majority in Macedonia – only in some regions in teh south. So it was made Greek by a population exchange and through all the difficult events we and the other peoples from the region went through. So who are we kidding when we say “Macedonia is one and it is Greek?” Only ourselves, Filis said.

both fit inside

In my humble opinion, borders in the 21st century are more cumbersome than anything. As long as we work together through the UN and the EU, name your country unicorn for all it should matter. Rhetoric here is more important than anything. And trade more important even than rhetoric. Nations and people that do not have trade relations, seldom get along. Mutual interest is a good mechanism to stop the greater evil. Germany-France have proved this.

Greece will invest 10BLN in Macedonia, according to a lawyer acquaintance of mine. Since I got wind of that rumor, I was sure the name would get resolved.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_casualties

If the trend sticks true. More people die in war from starvation than from direct conflict. Territorial claims are for warmongers only. Drinking the blood of innocent people.

Just based on the above points, I fully support your Tyrol model for Macedonia name. Then no one can have any territorial claim.

MILAN M

man plz,

G Pyatt was seen at Promahon boarders 24 hours to enter Fyrom before Fyrom Parliament votes fro the treaty,
3 cars,
WHAT ON HELL WAS DOING THE US AMBASSADOR IN GREECE AT SKOPJIE PARLIAMENT THE TIME OF THE VOTE?

MILAN M

man plz,

G Pyatt was seen at Promahon boarders 24 hours to enter Fyrom before Fyrom Parliament votes fro the treaty,
3 cars,
WHAT ON HELL WAS DOING THE US AMBASSADOR IN GREECE AT SKOPJIE PARLIAMENT THE TIME OF THE VOTE?

If it was done with some US interference they did it good.

And if you think that i care for the "foreign influence" nationalists seem to fight,but at the same time saying they are our allies.
I mean they are crazy.

@ ArchetypeOne

man G. Pyatt is an idiot,

he mess up Ukraine and Crimaia
and now came to Balkans,

WHAT HE ACHIEVED AT BALKANS???

TO FORCE MAKEDONIANS AND SLAVOMAKEDONIANS IN A UNWANTED TREATY, by both
HE STARTED A FIRE, When there was none,

30 years now a single shot, from late 1980's
cooperation, investements, tourism from both sides,
millions Slavomakedonian come to Greece every year at summer,
and millions of Greeks visit Fyrom every winter,

There was peace, there was cooperation,
and only demonstrations,

FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT UNDERSTAND

PAPANDREOU and Greece ALLREADY RECOGN THEM AS MAKEDONIA AT 80'sFederal South-SLAVIC republic of MAKEDONIA,

But what happened,
Pyatt the loser of Crimaia, as an echidna used the leftists,
to START A NEW FIRE IN BALKANS.

Pisoderi Prespes is place that all Greeks want to forget,
no matter Left or Right wing.
It was the last theatre of Civil War, and area from where the kidnapped children moved to Communistic world,.
BY CHOOSING PISODERI, IT IS LIKE SAYING, REVENGE OF 3rd COMMUNISTIC INTERNATIONAL AND Y DIMITROV's BLEND TREATY.

Pyatt as an idiot was present at Skopjie parliament, when they vote.
That means forced vote, psycological pressure, or even more life threat

Tsipras raise the hand, but bend the head,
cause he knows,
the stupidity of Kotzias, an ex-communist who took revenge for civil war lost of Communists with Pisoderi treaty.

We kick our king at 1974, cause he sworn and legalize the Junda, instead of protect the constitution.
Time to kick the 153 parliamentals who obey the foreign voice, and Divide the peopes, and the nation,
bringing a new era of civil war in Greece,

today more demonstrations are coming,

you want to know what happens in Greece every night?
even after the pass by parliament,
THAT IS AFTER THE OK FROM GREEK PARLIAMENT.

<strong>

THAT TREATY IS ILLEGAL BY GREEK CONSTITUTIONAL LAWS,
IT SHOULD BE VOTED BY 2/3 of Parliaments meaning 180 votes,
It took only 153 expressing the 22% of people,
BUT SINCE THERE IS NO CONSTITUTIONAL JUDGE FROM 1974 TO REJECT THE PARLIAMENTAL DESICION AS ANTI_CONSTITUTIONAL
IT PASSES WITH A KIND OF MODERN DICTATORSHIP,

We Live phenomena from 1945 and 1967
my nephew is still at prison,
Although the Greek law says that underaged, must not kept there until the investigation,

So what Pyatt achieved, with his puppets the 'leftists' (i doupt if they are)
is to start a new fire, and open old closed wounds,

THAT TREATY SHALL NOT PASS
IS ILLEGAL AS CONSERN GREEK CONSTITUTION
IS NOT ACCEPTED BY AT LEAST 70% OF GREEKS

if you see riots and murderings and 'assasinations' in Greece
do not be surprised.
the new Makedonian struggle just started,
reopen by Tsipras and Pyatt,

Zaev is a stupid puppet,
and when he realize what he did to his own people, it would be to late.

LOOK AT UKRAINE AND CRIMAIA RESULTS.

what you do not understand?
for 30 years SlavoMakedonians were welcomed to Greece,
and oposite
(except criminals and drug dealers)
NOW THAT IS UNDER A DANGER.

And remember media are control today in Greece,
Before Pappas, we had democratic channels and news,
today they bomb us with USA and Leftish propaganda,
no media shows what happened in small makedonian towns,
they show only how ggod is the illegal treaty.
Mega channel is closed.

for those who do not understand

Today at 18 EET (+2 Greenwich meridian)
watch the news,

the strugle still continues

And for those who believe it will work

DO YOU KNOW THAT ALL SCHOOL BOOKS OF FYROM WILL CHANGE,
AND WILL BE UNDER UNDER SUPERVISION OF GREEK and International HISTORIANS?

DO YOU KNOW THAT PRODUCTS WILL HAVE THE SAME MARK.
MACEDONIAN WINE EITHER FROM GREECE EITHER FROM SKOPJIE?

It is a betrayal for both Nations,

at late 90's it was decided
at 1993 enter UN as federal South-SLAVIC republic of MAKEDONIA (remember krusevo and Illidan)
why and for reason should be changed as today?

their language is recogn at UN from 1977 as Makedonian language part of Slavic languages,
while the Term Makedonian dialect
the same DAY is refered as part of Ancient Greek dialects

WHY PYATT NEEDED TO SCRATCH THIS WOUND TO THIS DEGREE?

WHY HIS PUPPETS TSIPRAS AND ZAEV ACCEPT IT WHITOUT CORRECT AND CLEAR REFERENDUMS?

ARE BALKANS GOING TO BE THE NEW SYRRIA?
is that the dream of USA ambassador G Pyatt?
to sell guns in Ukraine and Balkans?
and uses his puppets to do so?

Remember today at Afrin we have
VIOLATION OF LAUSSANE TREATY,
BUT NOBODY CARES,

This thread has been viewed 36695 times.

Back