Weird results? (GEDMATCH) I am Norwegian, but ...

mjfg4

Reaction score
Both of my parents are Norwegians and I have known ancestors from different places in Norway (Mid-, North- and West-Norway). I don't know of any ancestors from other countries than Norway, I have only heard some "typical" rumors like having a distant ancestor from Spain/Portugal or maybe Romania.

Myheritage results: 95,7 % Scandinavian, 2,0 % East European (Baltic), 1,4 % Inuit and 0,9 % from the Middle East).

DNA.Land results:
65 % Northwest European, 14 % Finnish, 12 % North Slavic and 8,5 % Southwestern European.

Here I have compared my GEDmatch results to other Norwegians and I now wonder what these results really mean. Can somebody please share their opinion?

Eurogenes EUtest K15:

• 6,07 less North_Sea than the general Norwegian population.
  • 6,07 more Atlantic than Norwegians in general.

MDLP World-22:

• 3,14 more West-Asian.
  • 3,56 less North-European-Mesolithic.
  • 1,66 more Samoedic.

Dodecad V3:

• 5,99 more East_European.
  • 14,26 less West_European.
  • 6,62 more Mediterranean.
  • 1,35 more West_Asian.

MDLP K23b:

• 1,27 more Ancestral_Altaic.
  • 3,63 more Caucasian.

Dodecad K12b:

• 6,25 more Caucasus.
  • 6,13 less North_European.

puntDNAL K12 Modern:

• 2,21 more Siberian.
  • 3,23 more Near_East.
  • 2,12 less Caucasus_HG.
  • 1,69 more East_Asian.

You could post your full GEDmatch results for a clearer picture.

By combining all your results, your rumored ancestor could be Sardinian.

I know that in the past, big Sardinian Fishing Boats were forced by the bad weather (i think) to stay in those areas for a few weeks every year.

I also watched a documentary in which, because of this, some people in a Scandinavian Village have Sardinian DNA.

Does not look like Spanish or Sardinian to me, looks like something South East European. Almost want to say Bulgarian/Romanian/Hungarian

• 2,21 more Siberian.

• 6,07 more Atlantic

Does not look like Spanish or Sardinian to me, looks like something South East European. Almost want to say Bulgarian/Romanian/Hungarian

• 2,21 more Siberian.

• 6,07 more Atlantic

He also gets 8,5 % Southwestern European, 6.62 more Mediterranean.
more in line with Sardinia and Spain, but he also gets Less Western European, so I still think that his unknown ancestor is Sardinian.

so the elevated Siberian, East Asian, and Altaic must be from something else because I would associate those with Eastern Balkan not Sardinia.

Also, the 8.5% South Western Europe is not an elevated score, it was just a general result. I would not trust DNAland much anyway it thinks Im 8% combined Arab-Iranian and 9.4 Indo European.

Thank you for answers (and by the way I'm a girl) :)

I should mention my fathers results also. His MyHeritage results are (not surprising) mainly Scandinavian, but he also got about 14 % East Europe and 3 % Finnish. I think the GEDmatch analysis is more interesting though. With GEDmatch he a seem to be much more Atlantic than the average Norwegian person (I don't know what this is telling us), a little bit more Baltic and West-Asian and a reasonable amount more Red Sea. He also have slightly above average American Indian percentages in more than one GEDmatch analysis. His ftdna results also found trace results of both East- and West Middle East.

I feel there is something special about these Middle East-indicators in both of our results that I can't explain. It's of course a small percentage, but it's still quite strange in regards of where we happen to live on earth - if these tests count for DNA within 4-6 generations. My relatives on my fathers side are known to have dark skin and dark hair, but who knows where that comes from.

Anyway, my main reason for getting ethnicity estimates are one of my great-great grandmothers on my fathers side, who differs clearly from the many Norwegians I know. She was very beautiful and had very high cheekbones, a round face, long black straight hair and asian-looking eyes. From the pictures I've seen she looks to me much like a Native American, but that doesn't add up when seeing me and my fathers ethnicity estimates ... This remains a mystery.

I'm from the USA with some Scandinavian background but show as 87% Scandinavian on myheritage.com and 46% Norwegian/Western Norway (Rogaland/Hordaland) on Ancestry.com . I know I have a lot of German ancestors with my all of my great grandparents being from Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, Denmark (Slesvig), Ostfriesland and Hannover (Suderberg) but that doesn't really seem to show up.

Ancestry.com

Norway 46%
Western Norway
Hordaland/Rogaland

England/Wales/Northwestern Europe:
25%

Germanic Europe
14%

Ireland/Scotland
8%

Sweden
7%

MyHeritage.com

Europe 100%
Northwest Europe 100%
Scandinavian 85.7%
North & West European 14.3

I'm not really sure how to use Gedmatch and what to get out of that. If someone could walk me through that, it would be great. I scored highly with Great Britain/Wales but I'm not 100% sure why. I do have some British ancestors but it's a small amount.

Also, my great grandparents were from Stavanger in Norway. I forgot to mention that part as well.

Thank you for answers (and by the way I'm a girl) :)

I should mention my fathers results also. His MyHeritage results are (not surprising) mainly Scandinavian, but he also got about 14 % East Europe and 3 % Finnish. I think the GEDmatch analysis is more interesting though. With GEDmatch he a seem to be much more Atlantic than the average Norwegian person (I don't know what this is telling us), a little bit more Baltic and West-Asian and a reasonable amount more Red Sea. He also have slightly above average American Indian percentages in more than one GEDmatch analysis. His ftdna results also found trace results of both East- and West Middle East.

I feel there is something special about these Middle East-indicators in both of our results that I can't explain. It's of course a small percentage, but it's still quite strange in regards of where we happen to live on earth - if these tests count for DNA within 4-6 generations. My relatives on my fathers side are known to have dark skin and dark hair, but who knows where that comes from.

Anyway, my main reason for getting ethnicity estimates are one of my great-great grandmothers on my fathers side, who differs clearly from the many Norwegians I know. She was very beautiful and had very high cheekbones, a round face, long black straight hair and asian-looking eyes. From the pictures I've seen she looks to me much like a Native American, but that doesn't add up when seeing me and my fathers ethnicity estimates ... This remains a mystery.

Given the description of the paternal great-great grandmother your father rather likely has Saami ancestry.

Yes, I know, if you google Saami they don't look much different from Finns & some Scandinavians. Most of them, however, are of mixed ancestry. Once Saami were darker than the normal Scandinavian (noted as such in the Viking Sagas) and not quite different from other indigenous (e.g. Aleut or Yamalo-Nenet) as evident if you google 1900s Saami in Sweden.

Both of my parents are Norwegians and I have known ancestors from different places in Norway (Mid-, North- and West-Norway). I don't know of any ancestors from other countries than Norway, I have only heard some "typical" rumors like having a distant ancestor from Spain/Portugal or maybe Romania.

Myheritage results: 95,7 % Scandinavian, 2,0 % East European (Baltic), 1,4 % Inuit and 0,9 % from the Middle East).

DNA.Land results:
65 % Northwest European, 14 % Finnish, 12 % North Slavic and 8,5 % Southwestern European.

Here I have compared my GEDmatch results to other Norwegians and I now wonder what these results really mean. Can somebody please share their opinion?

Eurogenes EUtest K15:

• 6,07 less North_Sea than the general Norwegian population.
  • 6,07 more Atlantic than Norwegians in general.

MDLP World-22:

• 3,14 more West-Asian.
  • 3,56 less North-European-Mesolithic.
  • 1,66 more Samoedic.

Dodecad V3:

• 1,35 more West_Asian.

MDLP K23b:

• 1,27 more Ancestral_Altaic.
  • 3,63 more Caucasian.

Dodecad K12b:

• 6,25 more Caucasus.
  • 6,13 less North_European.

puntDNAL K12 Modern:

• 2,21 more Siberian.
  • 3,23 more Near_East.
  • 2,12 less Caucasus_HG.
  • 1,69 more East_Asian.

Dodecad k12b
Germanics - from British to Scandinavians to Germans themselves - can actually score very high Caucasus in Dodecad k12b. I know a Northern Englishman with a Caucasus score of 7.74 & a SW Englishman with 9.84 Caucasus score & the mean of English is 3.11. I know a Swede with a score of 5.78 (mean 1.20) & Norwegian with a score of 5.45 (mean 0.10). It's something very ancient.

EUtest K15 & Dodecad V3
Can be explained by Danish ancestry (a Danish-Norwegian = North_Sea 39.64 & Atlantic 33.17 / West_European 60.23 & Mediterranean 21.88) as Danes settled in Norway until the end of the Oldenburg dynasty about 200 years ago.

MDLP K23
Caucasian is likely another hint of Danish, Dutch or Northern German ancestry. Ancestral_Altaic could hint at Saami.

The only thing potentially unusual is the West Asian / Near East but without seeing what the actual populations in the oracles are can't say one way or the other. Can you post your entire results???

^^^ Foxy, I am northern English/ Scottish and score 7.72 Caucasus on Dodecad k12b.

I am from Western Andalusia and I have taken a 13'46 from Caucasus in Dodecad K12b

I do not think it's about who has the biggest thing. You have to be happy with the results, without those results you would not exist. Everything has conspired in that way to create your existence, the absence of any value would mean your non-existence as being.

Last edited:
Northwestern Spain, 17,75 Caucasus in Dodecad K12 b

The only thing potentially unusual is the West Asian / Near East but without seeing what the actual populations in the oracles are can't say one way or the other. Can you post your entire results???

Thank you! I'm 99 % sure that my mother has Saami ancestors, but I've never thought that could be the case for my father, because the place where most of his ancestors lived had very little (if any known) contact with the Saami people. They lived near the sea, but not in a place where there were any Saami people in more recent times. Some of his more recent ancestors (19th century) travelled from the fields where they were born to the seaside because of economic reasons, though.

I'll try to post my results, can somebody tell me how to post screenshot pictures in here? The copy paste thing doesn't work ...

Edit: I have not posted enough to post any pictures or use the copy-paste from GEDmatch :(

I believe your results are in line with Viking ancestry. They raided Eastern Europe long before the raids in the West. In the time of the Vikings I don't think much thought was given to the ethnic background of a bride.

This thread has been viewed 8301 times.

Back