Mtdna and dating for Pleistocene hominin from Salkhit Mongolia

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-018-08018-8

"A skullcap found in the Salkhit Valley in northeast Mongolia is, to our knowledge, the only Pleistocene hominin fossil found in the country. It was initially described as an individual with possible archaic affinities, but its ancestry has been debated since the discovery. Here, we determine the age of the Salkhit skull by compound-specific radiocarbon dating of hydroxyproline to 34,950–33,900 Cal. BP (at 95% probability), placing the Salkhit individual in the Early Upper Paleolithic period. We reconstruct the complete mitochondrial genome (mtDNA) of the specimen. It falls within a group of modern human mtDNAs (haplogroup N) that is widespread in Eurasia today. The results now place the specimen into its proper chronometric and biological context and allow us to begin integrating it with other evidence for the human occupation of this region during the Paleolithic, as well as wider Pleistocene sequences across Eurasia."

"
The Salkhit mtDNA lineage was assigned to the modern human macro-haplogroup N using HaploGrep231 (based on mtDNA tree Build 1732). Haplogroup N and M are the two basal mtDNA haplogroups shared among all present-day non-Africans. While the mosaic of archaic-like and modern human-like morphological traits have made the assignment of the fossil to Pleistocene hominin groups difficult, we thus show that the mtDNA of the Salkhit individual is of modern human origin. However, the sequence does not carry any substitutions characteristic of known sub-haplogroups inside the haplogroup N. A maximum parsimony analysis (subtree Fig. 5) assigns the Salkhit mtDNA to an uncharacterized lineage which branches off the root of haplogroup N. It is therefore unlikely that the Salkhit mitochondrial lineage is directly ancestral to any present-day human mtDNA. Among ancient modern humans, only the mtDNA of the ~40,000-year-old Romanian Oase 1individual33 falls outside the known sub-lineages of N or M, suggesting the existence of more mtDNA diversity among early modern humans in Eurasia than among later and present-day Eurasian populations."

So, homo sapiens sapiens mtdna, but what was the rest?

[/I]So, homo sapiens sapiens mtdna, but what was the rest?

I expect nothing else but a Eurasian homo sapiens sapiens, with the 50-55 ka Neanderthal admixture event,
unless if were dealing with another rare extinct branch like Oase I.

I expect nothing else but a Eurasian homo sapiens sapiens, with the 50-55 ka Neanderthal admixture event,
unless if were dealing with another rare extinct branch like Oase I.

" It was initially described as an individual with possible archaic affinities, but its ancestry has been debated since the discovery."

The answer would lie in getting some autosomal dna, if they can. This wouldn't be the first time physical anthropologists made a mistake.

I found a " Salkhit Skullcap " on the internet and... well if this individual was mtdna N and then an early homo sapiens in eurasia, it definitely have some very archaic features. Like the eyebrow is enormous, absolutely nothing comparable to modern populations. They say that Neanderthal and Erectus a part, this individual shows similarities with something " Asian archaic Homo sapiens ". It would have been amazing if they would ( or could ) have watched for the archaic ancestry ( neanderthal, denisova ). Sapiens mtdna itself cannot really tell us the deep history of this individual. Also, they are talking, if i understand right, that they could separate the real dna with the potential corrupted dna? And if so, is this new or why other groups use that technic to samples considered corrupted?

This thread has been viewed 6618 times.

Back