G2a men share some common looks?

Do you think that these G2a men share some common looks?

• They have many in common.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • They have some common.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • They have not.

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters
My motherline is mtDNA K1a, which also had a Neolithic entry into Europe. I don't believe they declined, which is the source of my question. It has seemed to me that maternal lines, whether Paleolithic (like my wife's U5b) or Neolithic (like my mother's), seem to continue on through the eons while their male counterparts disappear or are greatly diminished.

True. Although it looks like you have a neolithic y line. I think what Indo-Europeans did to Europe is pretty unique. Usually older lines get absorbed but in Europe Indo-European R1a and R1b pretty much replaced most lines at least in the North. However, I think their original lines were subclasses of U2 which aren't that common either.

As I said, Some mtDNAs that were associated with the farmers also declined, others didn't. Could be a million reasons.

My motherline is mtDNA K1a, which also had a Neolithic entry into Europe. I don't believe they declined, which is the source of my question. It has seemed to me that maternal lines, whether Paleolithic (like my wife's U5b) or Neolithic (like my mother's), seem to continue on through the eons while their male counterparts disappear or are greatly diminished.
mtDNA K1 (and also H13) was also among mesolithic HGs. See Iron Gates:
https://static-content.springer.com...ects/41586_2018_BFnature25778_MOESM3_ESM.xlsx

As I said, Some mtDNAs that were associated with the farmers also declined, others didn't. Could be a million reasons.

True. I think as whole though the farmer mtdnas declined less than the dnas but like you said some mtdnas did decline. But some farmer ydnas almost completely disappeared though (H2?).

True. I think as whole though the farmer mtdnas declined less than the dnas but like you said some mtdnas did decline. But some farmer ydnas almost completely disappeared though (H2?).
This is a pure speculation on my part but it could be that mtDnas were spread in clusters rather than evenly across large territories. Those that lived in more densely populated areas or closer to the epicenter of the cataclysm would've been more vulnerable. Coincidentally the Mtdna "I" seems to have been concentrated around modern Northern Germany/Denmark, Poland area which saw almost complete disappearance of some groups. Could've been an epicenter of whatever it was killed them off.

I used to think invasion was the cause but not anymore. The Invasion probably happened and it likely was one of the factors for the near extinction of farmers but It probably came after or accompanied some other cataclysmic event that weakened the continent.

Famine is also a possibility albeit a less likely one. Famine can kill a lot of people but affect the huge chunk of the continent so completely ? I don't know.

Those are two main reasons imo. Throughout history the times of great change and unrest are most often preceded by cataclysmic events like disease or climate change.

We're not disagreeing with you because we think he looks bad, no :) I just think he looks more European than Caucasian. I wouldn't be surprised if genetically he's mostly Indo-European with some middle eastern mix. Hell that kind of face is far more common in Europe and among European-Americans than in Caucasus. Don't confuse dark complexion with non European look. Armenians often Look more European than Caucasian if only their skin tones were lighter. For example Freddy reminds me of Andrew Lincoln more than any Georgian I've met.
View attachment 10763

Freddy Mercury is Indian admixed if anything.

Ratchet: I think Freddy was of Iranian ancestry, but his parents were from India. I actually think he is of Iranian ancestry, not of Indian ancestry.

Ratchet: I think Freddy was of Iranian ancestry, but his parents were from India. I actually think he is of Iranian ancestry, not of Indian ancestry.

He is a Parsi. Parsis descend from a group of Iranians who left Iran and ended up in India around the time of the Arab invasion of the Sassanid empire. Freddy Mercury's ancestors were in India for 1200 years. And there is absolutely no doubt they admixed with the local Indian population (mostly females) in that time frame. They are about 2/3 to 3/4 Iranian and 1/4 to 1/3 Indian genetically.

[FONT=&quot]Despite this, we infer that Indian Zoroastrians (Parsis) intermixed with local groups sometime after their arrival in India, dating this mixture to 690–1390 CE and providing strong evidence that Iranian Zoroastrian ancestry was maintained primarily through the male line.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]In (1) and (2), we detected admixture in the Parsis dated to 27 (range: 17–38) and 32 (19–44) generations ago, respectively, in each case between one predominantly Indian-like source and one predominantly Iranian-like source. This large contribution from an Iranian-like source (∼64%–76%) is not seen in any of our other 7 Indian clusters, though we detect admixture in each of these 7 groups from wide-ranging sources related to modern day individuals from Bangladesh, Cambodia, Europe, Pakistan, or of Jewish heritage ([/FONT]Figures 2[FONT=&quot] and [/FONT]S7[FONT=&quot], [/FONT]Tables S5–S7[FONT=&quot])
[/FONT]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5590844/

Freddy was a Parsi, an Indian of distant Iranian ancestry. The Parsis were in India for centuries. Given the structure of Indian society, and the fact you can't really convert to Zoroastrianism, probably most of his ancestry was Iranian.

He certainly didn't look a bit Indian imo. Salman Rushdie looks like he has more admixture.

I actually was surprised to find out after his death that Freddy was a Parsi or of Iranian descent. He looked Southern European to me.

Iranians are a heterogeneous group in my opinion. You can get a number of different looks.

In this particular picture of Khomeini, shave the beard off and he looks like Sean Connery. No wonder Oriana Fallaci, after the interview in which she tore off the burka he had made her wear, called him that evil, magnificent looking old man. :) What a woman.

imam_khomeini_quality_pic_by_islamicwallpers.jpg

Ratchet/Angela: Ok, thanks for the further clarification. I agree with the Caste System of India would lessen any intermarrying and I just assumed his ancestors married within the Iranian Ethnic community. The Zoroastrianism angle is another one that suggests mostly Iranian.

Sean Connery!, your correct, Always was is and ever will be my Favorite James Bond.

Yea 2/3 to 3/4 of his ancestry was Iranian as that article says. No different than jews taking native women wherever they went. The old Parsi ftdna project had a shitload of mtdna M.

ratchet_Man: Come on man, cool down on the admixture events where Men married local women, happens alot, I think the same thing happened wherever the Steppe herders went, married lots of local women. However, yes, the daughters I would guess, I don't know, were probably in arranged marriages with Iranian-Parsi men. I know nothing about Parsi culture but the daughter marrying a Hindu Man would probably mean she is no longer part of the Zoroastrianism community (just a hunch). However, I looked up this article and it does suggest that a full Parsi wedding includes the Parents blessing before it can occur in the Temple for their religion

https://www.culturalindia.net/weddings/regional-weddings/parsi-wedding.html

So maybe Parsi Men who could not find a young Parsi Women to marry because no Parents would bless the Union had to wed local Indian women. How that non Parsi woman was recognized into their faith tradition, not sure, but the article you cited does suggest that: Here is a quote

"The iMhg and Yhg frequency-based pairwise FST values indicate that through the male line the lay Parsis have a closer relationship to the lay Iranian Zoroastrians, but through the female line they have a closer relationship to the non-Zoroastrians from India"

ratchet_Man: Come on man, cool down on the admixture events where Men married local women, happens alot, I think the same thing happened wherever the Steppe herders went, married lots of local women. However, yes, the daughters I would guess, I don't know, were probably in arranged marriages with Iranian-Parsi men. I know nothing about Parsi culture but the daughter marrying a Hindu Man would probably mean she is no longer part of the Zoroastrianism community (just a hunch). However, I looked up this article and it does suggest that a full Parsi wedding includes the Parents blessing before it can occur in the Temple for their religion

https://www.culturalindia.net/weddings/regional-weddings/parsi-wedding.html

So maybe Parsi Men who could not find a young Parsi Women to marry because no Parents would bless the Union had to wed local Indian women. How that non Parsi woman was recognized into their faith tradition, not sure, but the article you cited does suggest that: Here is a quote

"The iMhg and Yhg frequency-based pairwise FST values indicate that through the male line the lay Parsis have a closer relationship to the lay Iranian Zoroastrians, but through the female line they have a closer relationship to the non-Zoroastrians from India"

I'm just pointing it out that they're admixed. Nothing wrong with it. Like you said happens everywhere.

ratchet_Fan: Ok, no problem. I was just wanting to stay focused on Freddy Mercury and his Parsi background and trying to understand his culture and family history and more about the Parsi in Iran. I had always assumed that the Iranians in India, thus Freddy Mercury's family, etc. had maintained a tightly structured ethnic community with no marriage outside their community. However, the article you linked indicated modern Parsi today have 25-33% admixture with Local people from India. That was good information.

My mom's paternal side is G2a and looks vary very much. Brother and her look Mediterranean, mother German, Father very dark, Mediterranean. Haplogroups have very little correlation to looks even for isolated populations.

Absolutely nothing in common. Haplogroup does not determine phenotype.

This thread has been viewed 56958 times.

Back