G2a men share some common looks?

Do you think that these G2a men share some common looks?

• They have many in common.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • They have some common.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • They have not.

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters
G2a men or people don't necessarily share common looks. It's a silly idea. Get it?

You start getting rude with me and I'll get rude with you, and more importantly there will be other consequences.

Get it? I don't know what your problem is but you'd better get it sorted.

G2a men or people don't necessarily share common looks. It's a silly idea. Get it?
You start getting rude with me and I'll get rude with you, and more importantly there will be other consequences.
Get it? I don't know what your problem is but you'd better get it sorted.
I did not intend to be rude at all, but you suggest the idea is silly. So, I have wanted to post pictures with G male or clearly identified with other haplogroups for comparison.

I found some pictures of I2 men that can be useful for comparison with G2a. Most of its are from here.
One more. Cheddar Man (I2a2), "British" from ~10k years ago:

GLLBDP2LRI7SJAEUIJIVT7IKPA.jpg

@G2ian @Gidai
Merely out of curiosity, I remember that someone registered, in the old YSearch, STR markers supposedly from Messi. They pointed to G2a1. Some people thought it was strange, since it's rare in Europe as a whole. Well, Barcelona's players did have their DNAs tested time ago, and his father's paternal grandfather was from Recanati-MC, Marche. If my memory serves, both Boattini (prediction based on STRs) and Ethnopedia show %s above traces for G2a1 in Macerata (~5%?) and Marche (also ~5% - access 2017 May), respectively, hard to find in other places in Europe, apparently. So in fact the result wouldn't be out of the place. Obviously, they may be fake, since any one could register STR markers in there and put whatever name. Still... Who knows!
That said, here is Messi (G2a1???)
Lionel_Messi_20180626.jpg

G2a-L293 Eupedia Map
Haplogroup-G2a-L293.png

Province of Macerata
500px-Macerata_in_Italy.svg.png

See also:
https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/barcelona-dna-testing-advantage-over-arsenal
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...s-prepare-Champions-League-clash-Arsenal.html
(However, these articles are from the beginning of 2016, while the supposed results of Messi were already in YSearch around 2015 July (when someone posted about it here in Eupedia. So, don't know!)
@Gidai
This is James Franciscus - from Planet of the Apes -, G2b (former G2c).
James_Franciscus_1977.JPG
Just saw this. Out of curiosity...

Italian citizenship
https://www.corriere.it/cronache/19...le-7f0b3580-6d7b-11e9-a640-9ee483a15261.shtml

PS: Didn't make my point clear. An evidence that Messi may be indeed G2a1 is the roughly coincidence between the info at YSearch (a bit earlier) and the publicity of the DNA tests by Barcelona players (a bit later). Still... who knows! :)

Erratum: G2b1 (Franciscus' clade) is former G2c, not just G2b.

I'm number 10 on the G2a list of men, above, and I can say I see no similarities with the other G2a men and I feel the attempt to tie appearance to haplogroup to be a waste of time. While my father's line was G2a, and my mother's was K1a4h, the multitude of my other relatives' lines include all the types of Europe and of most of the Middle East. All of them contributed to my current appearance, for good or ill. Let's do some real science and not go down these silly skin tone and skull shape wormholes.

Words of wisdom from a new member. :)

Fwiw, my husband is G2a, and even without seeing a picture of you I can absolutely 100% guarantee you look nothing alike given your ethnicity.

There's a lot of silliness in this hobby. This is an example.

Unless you can prove that a significant number of genes determining facial appearance are on the Y chromosome, I think any seeming resemblance between G2a is the result of cognitive bias.

Ok, let's ignore all the scientific facts proving that phenotype is determined by the autosomes, not yDNA. Wouldn't this "common appearance" also apply to all other haplogroups? Why just G2a? Or are you implying that such similarities also exist among R1b individuals for example?

Iranian phenotypes are extremely varied as elsewhere. I have seen anywhere from light haired, green-eyed men that would feel right at home in Northern Italy or France to very hairy, blackest of the black haired men, that would have a shade an hour after shaving, to an Irish looking redhead to Indian looking women. Just like in Greece. It just points out how varied appearances can be.

People will knock this answer but look at skull shape. My father's head and face look identical to Stalin. Even my skull is largely shaped like Stalin's despite being very tall blonde and blue eyed.

I'm not going to ruin my reputation within the community by asserting that the Y chromosome has any effect on male skull shape or brain development because I quite simply only have experiential evidence from years of looking at people's skulls and then inquiring about their (assumed and known) ethnic background.

However, since the release of these prevalent genetic testing services and the increase in people who are aware of their paternal haplogroup, I have started to see subtle changes. They are mainly behavioral which leads me to believe there is more to the Y chromosome than just "sperm motility" and if people also see phenotypical traits reflected on the faces/heads then perhaps I'm onto something.

This Caucasus like phenotype is one that has traveled far and wide. All the way to Latin America in this case: Keith Hernandez.

Carl-Keith-Hernandez.jpg

b96521fda9228db5cc0c51c4ace2aa48--the-count-counting-on.jpg
I notice in the second picture that your husband appreciates the man you admire! Even if it were G2a ...

I notice in the second picture that your husband appreciates the man you admire! Even if it were G2a ...

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I enjoy a game of baseball every once in a while, provided it's the actual game, and I'm at the stadium. Otherwise, I'm not much of a fan. So, I think "admiring" Keith Hernandez is a bit of a stretch. I just happen to know what he looks like, and think his look is very Caucasus affected.

As for my husband, he has been a Yankees fanatic all his life, so probably he does admire Hernandez, although I don't know what that has to do with the topic.

And yes, my husband does or did have a bit of the look of Hernandez, especially when he had a big mustache like that. Alas, no more. I liked it, or him wearing it, more precisely.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

I enjoy a game of baseball every once in a while, provided it's the actual game, and I'm at the stadium. Otherwise, I'm not much of a fan. So, I think "admiring" Keith Hernandez is a bit of a stretch. I just happen to know what he looks like, and think his look is very Caucasus affected.

As for my husband, he has been a Yankees fanatic all his life, so probably he does admire Hernandez, although I don't know what that has to do with the topic.

And yes, my husband does or did have a bit of the look of Hernandez, especially when he had a big mustache like that. Alas, no more. I liked it, or him wearing it, more precisely.

My husband is indeed G2a2, with ancestry from Campania and Calabria, and he looked a lot like Fabio Ceravolo when I first met him. It was love at first sight.

Fabio Ceravolo
37979.jpg

The Wright Brothers were G2a as well, however, weren't they?
the-wright-brothers-orville-wilbur-portraits.jpg

Good thing I checked: they were "E".

Who is a famous G2a2?

That wasn't Stalin's right?

Wow, he looked so different when he was young. Looks don't match with homicidal tendencies apparently.

14153414530_ba2db89d5f_b.jpg

My father looked like Don Mattingly with a mustache.

It was definitely a "thing". :)

He's one of those guys who I think definitely looked better with the mustache.

don-mattingly-of-the-new-york-yankees-poses-for-a-portrait-before-a-picture-id53046318

21216b_m

21216b_m

21216b_m

My paternal line is G2a-Z726, but my male ancestors are, almost certainly, mainly of other Y-DNA types. In fact, when I look at MyTrueAncestry for the Y-DNA distribution of all male samples that match my autosomal DNA kit, G2a doesn't even make the list. Why should I think I'd look anything like other G2a's?

61.4% R1b
19.2% R1a
11.2% I2
03.5% I1
01.75% J
01.75% N

My paternal line is G2a-Z726, but my male ancestors are, almost certainly, mainly of other Y-DNA types. In fact, when I look at MyTrueAncestry for the Y-DNA distribution of all male samples that match my autosomal DNA kit, G2a doesn't even make the list. Why should I think I'd look anything like other G2a's?

61.4% R1b
19.2% R1a
11.2% I2
03.5% I1
01.75% J
01.75% N
Nice. I don't know about MyTrueAncestry, but I checked three months ago and I have at least 25 confirmed G-L497 (autosomal) matches in 23andMe. I say "at least" because there must be some testees of older versions, and I'm not sure if all versions tested the SNP L497.
12 of them are confirmed G-L42 (10 out of these 12 are Italians in patrilineal ancestry, mainly NEs), 5 G-CTS4803 (2 Italians), 1 G-Z16775 plus 7 other G-L497s (1 Italian).
I trace my patrilineal ancestry to NE Italy.

Nice. I don't know about MyTrueAncestry, but I checked three months ago and I have at least 25 confirmed G-L497 (autosomal) matches in 23andMe. I say "at least" because there must be some testees of older versions, and I'm not sure if all versions tested the SNP L497.
12 of them are confirmed G-L42 (10 out of these 12 are Italians in patrilineal ancestry, mainly NEs), 5 G-CTS4803 (2 Italians), 1 G-Z16775 plus 7 other G-L497s (1 Italian).
I trace my patrilineal ancestry to NE Italy.

Under G2a-Z726 I'm predicted to be Z36217, an as-of-yet unconfirmed sister clade of 4803 and 16775.

I'm fairly lucky because a number of the members of my family in the US and a long-lost cousin in England tested with FTDNA, so I have a very good confirmation of my paper trail. We're from northern England circa 1550.

Under G2a-Z726 I'm predicted to be Z36217, an as-of-yet unconfirmed sister clade of 4803 and 16775.

I'm fairly lucky because a number of the members of my family in the US and a long-lost cousin in England tested with FTDNA, so I have a very good confirmation of my paper trail. We're from northern England circa 1550.
In fact, G-Z36217 is now a confirmed branch. At this moment it has several equivalents though (almost 30), and I'm not sure you'd be positive for all. We'll know soon its TMRCA in YFull (either in the next update or in december). The current two branches have six terminal SNPs each according to ISOGG. We don't know how exactly the combBED region in YFull is defined, so I don't know which of them will be considered for age calculation. I'm guessing something like 800-950 ybp, but who knows! We'll see.
(Further data may change TMRCAs.)

This thread has been viewed 57130 times.

Back