Wondering What South Asia Is Acting For In WeGene Results

ConfusedAndCurious

Reaction score
mtDNA haplogroup
J1c3
So I know that WeGene is primarily Asian. Which I am not. I was just uploading my results to almost everything once I got them because it's fun lol
Since I don't know my birth father or his side of that family (I just know he was born in Peru) I'm curious.
Thus, I don't know if I have any connection, even slightly, to India or any part of South Asia.
23andMe and Ancestry didn't show South Asia.

So it made me wonder what could the South Asia be acting for in my DNA?
On Gedmatch I've received Hungarian, but have yet to find anyone from Hungry on my mother's side. I'm thinking it's just a population around where I'm actually from. And the French is most likely acting for the German that I have on birth mother's side. So, in all honesty, WeGene was "eh" at getting my results close to where I am. I do have French ancestors as well.

The percentages are dead on for Ancestry results. The Inuit that they give me is probably left over from the migration from Siberia since I'm Native American?

Could the South Asian they give me be part of Europe? It gives me Indian so they're so diverse from what I've read.

Just curious. If I did have any South Asian wouldn't show up on the other tests?

Here are my Ancestry results:
Native American—Andean46%[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)][/COLOR]

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe26%[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)][/COLOR]

Ireland & Scotland14%[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)][/COLOR]

Norway10%[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)][/COLOR]

Central Norway

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)][/COLOR]

Trøndelag & Hedmark

Finland2%[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)][/COLOR]

Sweden1%[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)][/COLOR]

Spain1%[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)]
[/COLOR]

Here are my 23andMe results:

European
54.7%

Scandinavian
18.6%
Norway

British & Irish
14.5%
United Kingdom, Ireland

Spanish & Portuguese
1.6%

Broadly Northwestern European
14.3%

Broadly Southern European
3.1%

Broadly European
2.7%
East Asian & Native American
43.7%

Native American
42.2%
Peru, Bolivia

Broadly Northern Asian & Native American
1.1%

Broadly Chinese & Southeast Asian
0.1%

Broadly East Asian & Native American
0.3%
Western Asian & North African
0.2%

North African & Arabian
0.2%
Sub-Saharan African
0.1%

Broadly Northern East African
0.1%
Unassigned
1.3%

Here are my WeGene Results:

Chinese
0.01%

South Asian
3.45%
Indian
3.45%

European
50.40%
Hungarian
28.59%

French
21.80%

American
46.11%

Mayan
38.48%

Native American
6.23%

Inuit
1.39%

So I know that WeGene is primarily Asian. Which I am not. I was just uploading my results to almost everything once I got them because it's fun lol
Since I don't know my birth father or his side of that family (I just know he was born in Peru) I'm curious.
Thus, I don't know if I have any connection, even slightly, to India or any part of South Asia.
23andMe and Ancestry didn't show South Asia.

So it made me wonder what could the South Asia be acting for in my DNA?
On Gedmatch I've received Hungarian, but have yet to find anyone from Hungry on my mother's side. I'm thinking it's just a population around where I'm actually from. And the French is most likely acting for the German that I have on birth mother's side. So, in all honesty, WeGene was "eh" at getting my results close to where I am. I do have French ancestors as well.

The percentages are dead on for Ancestry results. The Inuit that they give me is probably left over from the migration from Siberia since I'm Native American?

Could the South Asian they give me be part of Europe? It gives me Indian so they're so diverse from what I've read.

Just curious. If I did have any South Asian wouldn't show up on the other tests?

Here are my Ancestry results:
Native American—Andean46%[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)][/COLOR]

England, Wales & Northwestern Europe26%[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)][/COLOR]

Ireland & Scotland14%[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)][/COLOR]

Norway10%[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)][/COLOR]

Central Norway

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)][/COLOR]

Trøndelag & Hedmark

Finland2%[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)][/COLOR]

Sweden1%[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)][/COLOR]

Spain1%[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.5)]
[/COLOR]

Here are my 23andMe results:

European
54.7%

Scandinavian
18.6%
Norway

British & Irish
14.5%
United Kingdom, Ireland

Spanish & Portuguese
1.6%

Broadly Northwestern European
14.3%

Broadly Southern European
3.1%

Broadly European
2.7%
East Asian & Native American
43.7%

Native American
42.2%
Peru, Bolivia

Broadly Northern Asian & Native American
1.1%

Broadly Chinese & Southeast Asian
0.1%

Broadly East Asian & Native American
0.3%
Western Asian & North African
0.2%

North African & Arabian
0.2%
Sub-Saharan African
0.1%

Broadly Northern East African
0.1%
Unassigned
1.3%

Here are my WeGene Results:

Chinese
0.01%

South Asian
3.45%
Indian
3.45%

European
50.40%
Hungarian
28.59%

French
21.80%

American
46.11%

Mayan
38.48%

Native American
6.23%

Inuit
1.39%

Hi ConfusedAndCurious,

Yes, in fact, WeGene is a genetic ancestry service based in Shenzhen in China, specializing in Southeast Asian ancestry. They allow you to upload the digitized genetic data you get from taking 23andMe or AncestryDNA tests and they'll re-analyze it for free.

I do not know if I endend it very well, but it seems you are an American with a father from Peru (South America) and a mother of german origin.

It is not surprising the presence of a high percentage of Native American DNA in its results, considering an Andean ancestry. Take the case of the Karitiana Indians of the Amazon:

Karitiana_HGDP00998
ANE 41.56%
ASE 0.41%
WHG-UHG 0%
East_Eurasian 58.01%
West_African 0%
East_African 0.01%
ENF 0%

These Indians have a high percentage of Ancient North Eurasian Ancestry (ANE), and this ancestry (ANE), in Europe, has peaks in the peoples of Northern Europe. The Karitiana also have a high ancestry of East Eurasia. The Asian origin of these Indians and their connection with ancestral peoples of Northern Eurasia and East Eurasia is unequivocal. They are genetic cousins of the Quechua Indians, common in Peru, Bolivia, and Ecuador.

The East Eurasian is a term sometimes used to refer of people from East Asia, South East Asia and the eastern parts of Siberia and the term is also sometimes extended to people from South Asia and Central Asia.

I may be wrong, but, acording results of My ancestry and 23andMe, you seems to be a mix of Amerindians (from Peru, maybe) with people from the British Isles and/or Northwestern Europe (Germans or French, for example).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Greetings.

The East Eurasian is a term sometimes used to refer of people from East Asia, South East Asia and the eastern parts of Siberia and the term is also sometimes extended to people from South Asia and Central Asia.

Yes, I was adopted in America. My birth father is Peruvian and my birth mother was born here. I've done here family tree and she's very English. Some German, Swiss, French, German Jewish and Irish/Scottish. Along with Scandinavia. So you're pretty bang on there.

I East Eurasian comes up a lot with Gedmatch as I dove into the deeper ancestry parts.
I think the South Asian that WeGene has for me is an inflated amount of possible long ago ancestry. Could also be acting for some genetically similar population.

At 90% confidence on 23andMe, which is what I prefer since it's 90% confidence (lol), I'm 30% NA and 5.5% Northern Asia and East Asia at 3% Which makes sense.

Thank you for your response :)

You're welcome, ConfusedAndCurious :))

So after all is said and done, today is D-Day. Anyone know what time the verdict will be out?

This thread has been viewed 5151 times.

Back