How to test?

Farstar

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Catalan
I have been reading and learning about DNA Testing for some time. I now know a few things (a bit more than before, much less than I would like).

I would like to do a DNA test. But still I do not know what to do. There seems to be two different things:

- One is the DNA Testing company: the origin I want to test is a combination of Catalan and Slavic. So, I would say two possibilities are 23andme and Living DNA. This forum suggests Living DNA is a bit better, but then other comparisons/comments suggest Living DNA is only good for UK people. It is not clear to me which is the knowledge level of each comment, or potential commercial interests. Intriguingly, there is also Dante Labs offering a full genome analysis (not only autosomal). I am interested about "origins", as well as health, if possible
- A second are calculators, using "raw data": eurogenes, gedmatch ... I really cannot find a way to learn which is the "best", and even what I would get from them (in comparison to what a DNA Testing company offers already)

Are there any scientifically oriented suggestions here?

A second issue, which I had not thought about so far, is security of the data. For example:

https://www.techspot.com/news/78554...lYpZvQb7bQ6Zfm6LEeJvkGCDadou0r-YQHJTmZ17OR9DM

it seems that some companies may be willing to give data to "somebody else", either government, or potentially insurance companies or similar (and we might never know).

Is there a way to do a test, but with the information never being in the database of the company doing the analysis? Maybe private labs?

I have been reading and learning about DNA Testing for some time. I now know a few things (a bit more than before, much less than I would like).

I would like to do a DNA test. But still I do not know what to do. There seems to be two different things:

- One is the DNA Testing company: the origin I want to test is a combination of Catalan and Slavic. So, I would say two possibilities are 23andme and Living DNA. This forum suggests Living DNA is a bit better, but then other comparisons/comments suggest Living DNA is only good for UK people. It is not clear to me which is the knowledge level of each comment, or potential commercial interests. Intriguingly, there is also Dante Labs offering a full genome analysis (not only autosomal). I am interested about "origins", as well as health, if possible
- A second are calculators, using "raw data": eurogenes, gedmatch ... I really cannot find a way to learn which is the "best", and even what I would get from them (in comparison to what a DNA Testing company offers already)

Are there any scientifically oriented suggestions here?
I do not know about the others, but beware of Living DNA.
They made a good impression until a year ago, through ambitious promises and "projects." But customers now realize that were just promises. They are unreliable.

I do not know about the others, but beware of Living DNA.
They made a good impression until a year ago, through ambitious promises and "projects." But customers now realize that were just promises. They are unreliable.

Yes, this is what I have read, too.

Do you have any idea of who could be reliable? And who could avoid keeping the data?

Do you have any idea of who could be reliable? And who could avoid keeping the data?
There are personal data and I think, normaly, no one outside of us can decide on them. So companies can not do anything with them without asking for our consent. We can ask for this data to be deleted from their database. They have to say that clearly in their conditions.

Check the link above, data has been given to an external party (the government) without explicit client authorisation.

Check the link above, data has been given to an external party (the government) without explicit client authorisation.
I read. It's not normal to do that. I think the police should handle testing by their own capabilities, and not using public testing companies.

I read. It's not normal to do that. I think the police should handle testing by their own capabilities, and not using public testing companies.

I agree it is not normal. But it is the way it is. And if the test is going to be taken by somebody who is young, this data might be in the hands of the company for say close to a century. This is a lot of time for "not normal things" to happen.

For this reason, I do not want to run the risk that "not normal things" to happen. The only possibility is the data is never in the hands of anybody except me.

Is there a company offering this service, without never taking control of the data?

I agree it is not normal. But it is the way it is. And if the test is going to be taken by somebody who is young, this data might be in the hands of the company for say close to a century. This is a lot of time for "not normal things" to happen.
For this reason, I do not want to run the risk that "not normal things" to happen. The only possibility is the data is never in the hands of anybody except me.
Is there a company offering this service, without never taking control of the data?
You can ask for your data to be deleted at any time... So say these public companies. But, I also read that the data can be requested by the authorities. Since they do not ask for your consent, it is a theft of personal data!

Soon we can collect our data alone. Technology has already existed and is being put into practice.
minion-cutout.png

https://nanoporetech.com/products/minion

View attachment 10715

View attachment 10716

I got this data later using Gdematch

I got these data after these wonderful results using Gdematch. I do not care if you use my data. Are you afraid of being pursued by the F.B.I. the C.I.A. or the Gestapo? Do not be afraid. countryman Greetings from Andalusia.

View attachment 10715

View attachment 10716

I got this data later using Gdematch

I got these data after these wonderful results using Gdematch. I do not care if you use my data. Are you afraid of being pursued by the F.B.I. the C.I.A. or the Gestapo? Do not be afraid. countryman Greetings from Andalusia.

Very cool, Carlos. And which company did you use for the genetic test? FTDNA?

This thread has been viewed 5512 times.

Back