New Study on Bourbon DNA by Gerard Lucotte

You are right in this. But my understanding is that what make sure whichone "male" lineage is must be one's Y-DNA only. That's the challenge of Pr Lucotte findings about the Bourbon royal dynasty

Which is why I find it darkly humorous when Family Tree DNA advertise their Y DNA kit by saying that a Y chromosome is like a surname, you get it from your father. Except that's not quite the case where I live.

Seeing as this thread has been derailed enough, let me elaborate a little. My surname is the same as my father's, but his is different from that of his own father. My grandfather also has a different surname from his own father, etc. It may be a regional thing, considering that there are old Bulgarian families who have kept their names through the decades (centuries?).

For me, the paper trails ends in the mid-19th century. What about you?

Although the Y hromosome, the male haplogroup respectively, is only a small part of the human genome it can prove a common relationship much deeper in time, than the autosomes. mtDna is not very helpful since even one difference could separate a few hundred, if not thousands years apart. Autosomal relatives after third cousins are usually speculative, even more in populations that have experienced a severe bottleneck or practised endogamy. If you don't have the paper trail you can not prove if this is a real relative or not. However with the Y STR and SNP match the connection is undeniable.
Regarding the nation as a whole, only the deep testing of the male lines like the Big Y tests could prove origin and migrations in historical times. Or if you are really descending from a certain royal.

In order to shift things back to the topic at hand, I have all known studies relating to the subject with a brief explanation about what was found:

1) Genetic genealogy reveals true Y haplogroup of House of Bourbon contradicting recent identification of the presumed remains of two French Kings - https://www.nature.com/articles/ejhg2013211 - Prince Sixte-Henri of Bourbon-Parma, Prince Axel of Bourbon-Parma and Prince Joao Henrique of Orleans-Braganza are all established to be Y-DNA haplogroup R-Z381*. It differs, however, from those of the presumed head of King Henri IV and also of the supposed blood of King Louis XVI.

2) Comparison Between the Y-Chromosome STR Profiles of Hughes de Bourbon and Other Members of the House of Bourbon - https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2573698 - Hughes de Bourbon, a patrilineal descendant of Karl Wilhelm Naundorff, who was supposedly "King Louis XVII", belongs to R1b1a2a1a1, thus G. Lucotte is willing to consider him as an agnate of the House of Bourbon.

3) The DNA Y-STRs Profile of Louis XVI (1754-1793) - https://www.ijsciences.com/pub/article/1005 - The Y-DNA profile of King Louis XVI is similar enough to that of the three currently living Bourbons above, but he does not seem to have been closely related to Karl Wilhelm Naundorff.

4) The Y-SNP Z-381 Is a Patrilineal DNA Marker of the Royal Bourbon Family of France - https://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?PaperID=90376 - Prince Sixte-Henri of Bourbon-Parma has been found to be DF98, so he belongs to the so-called "Kings' Cluster", alongside the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

One of the bourbons was tested on 37 markers. Predictor showed 99% DF98-S18823 But I have never seen anyone talk about this

One of the bourbons was tested on 37 markers. Predictor showed 99% DF98-S18823 But I have never seen anyone talk about this

You are the first one! :)

Do you know anything more about this? Because I believe that the initial study in 2013 was done with 37 markers. The most recent one (that I know of) was for 67 markers.
Sixte-Henri of Bourbon-Parma was the test subject and he is DF98 (part of the Kings' Cluster).

Yes of course I know something else. This is an old test, for 38 markers At the Portuguese from the Bourbons. Joao Henrique of Orleans Braganza. You have a link in the post by the way, too. I just entered the data into the nevgen predictor and got the result

every year, even every month, the predictor is updated, improves the data. Therefore, it is necessary to recheck old materials on new predictors.

Yes of course I know something else. This is an old test, for 38 markers At the Portuguese from the Bourbons. Joao Henrique of Orleans Braganza. You have a link in the post by the way, too. I just entered the data into the nevgen predictor and got the result

Ah, so it was him. Thanks for the reply! :)

This thread has been viewed 22184 times.

Back