Greece

MaraMe

Reaction score
Which is your favorite city/island/place of Greece?

Thessaloniki deserves so much more attention than it gets from tourists. It`s a city with a great vibe. If your priorities include classic Greek ruins, you might aim for Athens. If your priorities are to lean more to Roman ruins and Greek Orthodox architecture and ornamentation, aiming for Thessaloniki is indeed famous for it`s food. You can also rent car in Greece and just explore the city. And of course there are enough ouzeries and restaurants for you, it is a town of over a million residents. Think of it as smaller and much more relaxed than hectic Athens.

i have been in Thessaloniki only, in 1992. Being from Albania, at that time the city impressed me. Downtown area, where that ottoman castle is, was very impressive, modern. Impressive architecture, well regulated and designed streets, to my eyes modern world. Now I have heard are more changes on the seaside, a new promenade but I have not seen it in person. I was working in a village on the hills above Salonica. As we were driving up to the hills the outskirts of the city many irregular buildings were being build, they did not seem to have any apparent planning, and I still wander were they illegaly build or I just got the wrong impression., The traffic was really bad, roads congested, cars parked on the sidewalk. Has it changed? People were helpful and supporters of Micotaki. I was a Papandreu supporter. The climate was a surprise. Even though by the sea, it felt a lot continental climate. I want to visit that city again, this time as tourist with some money to spend.
In short: Downtown area very impressive, can compete with any European city, in developed Europe.
As for Athens, I have heard from other Albanians is generally, beautiful. Parts of it chaotic but worth seen. I definitely want to return to Salonica.

Since I spent 7 years of my life in Thessaloniki, I would say Thessaloniki. If they ever finish the Metro (they keep finding antiquities, imagine that)...
Crete is very nice particularly Iearaperta and Agios Nicholaos. You have to go at least once to Santorini, Monemvasia and Meteora because of their sheer natural beauty. I would like to explore the smaller, lesser known islands such as Skiathos, Skopelos, Spetses, Aegina, Kephalonia, Zakynthos. There are so many!

i have been in Thessaloniki only, in 1992. Being from Albania, at that time the city impressed me. Downtown area, where that ottoman castle is, was very impressive, modern. Impressive architecture, well regulated and designed streets, to my eyes modern world. Now I have heard are more changes on the seaside, a new promenade but I have not seen it in person. I was working in a village on the hills above Salonica. As we were driving up to the hills the outskirts of the city many irregular buildings were being build, they did not seem to have any apparent planning, and I still wander were they illegaly build or I just got the wrong impression., The traffic was really bad, roads congested, cars parked on the sidewalk. Has it changed? People were helpful and supporters of Micotaki. I was a Papandreu supporter. The climate was a surprise. Even though by the sea, it felt a lot continental climate. I want to visit that city again, this time as tourist with some money to spend.
In short: Downtown area very impressive, can compete with any European city, in developed Europe.
As for Athens, I have heard from other Albanians is generally, beautiful. Parts of it chaotic but worth seen. I definitely want to return to Salonica.

Yes, there have created a long promenade stretching from Levkos Pyrgos (White Tower) towards the east. Also some very attractive cafes in the old port.

6d3VrB2.jpg

uczBkJD.jpg

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/202.../www.bbc.com/portuguese/vert-tra-55709316.amp

This thread has been viewed 7793 times.

Back