Accent quiz for Americanshttps://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
It pin pointed exactly where I learned to speak English, i.e. where Massachusetts and New York meet. (not N.Y.C. or Long Island)

See:
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...88k040008200j80000020400j11002002400802080100

dialect-quiz-map.html
UzjwSGA.png
[/IMG]

... All above the fruited plain!..
I’m still a work in progress.
LOL

j3Zpu9T.jpg

What's the matter, gidai? You don't like accent quizes?

When you write something stupid, with no papers or other scientific proof to support your claim, people are going to find your posts unhelpful and down vote them.

I suggest, instead of reacting in a childish way and just down voting anything I write, even something totally innocuous, that you do your homework, read papers, and do some studying before you post.

Oh, and by the way, at your reputation level, a down vote from you is tantamount to "giving" me points, not taking them away. So, a fail. Actually, a double fail, since I've now exposed you and your childish behavior.

Last edited:
I studied English in Italy, I learned the basics in England, and then I moved to the US where I learned very well Neapolitan, some Sicilian, and American. :grin:

Edit..
in Italian-American Clubs :)

Did you ever live out west?

I'm just wondering why you're so all over the place. :)

aBNZ5bH.jpg
Heres mine, lol

Did you ever live out west?

I'm just wondering why you're so all over the place. :)
I used to live 20 miles south of Worcester MA, so that's correct.

I worked as an on-site IT Tech. I interacted daily with people from across the Nation.

Now I do other stuff. :)

Last edited:
This is a cool site.

You can click on an area and you'll get a youtube clip for someone from that area who has the "distinctive" sound.

Strangely enough, Rod Sterling was indeed a big influence on my "accent". I watched the Twilight Zone over and over again on re-runs after we came to the U.S., and I remember trying to sound like him because I loved the way he sounded. It was also the accent I heard around me, more or less, so everything reinforced it.

https://aschmann.net/AmEng/#Au_New_York

^^It is very true that people from Wisconsin, and Minnesota are extremely different in terms of accent. I can point out the transplants from there to NYC easily.

Indeed. New York City people, Boston people, and, of course, southerners can easily be "spotted" too. Another one I can "hear" right away is the Chicago area flat "a". That spreads out quite a bit. You can hear it in Buffalo too.

Other differences are more subtle.

I speak British English, but took the test anyway. My closest regions are New York (upstate) and Wisconsin.

Just for fun, not native, so indeed fuzzy....

eymkfmd65.02.38.png

I live in Coventry, Rhode Island. Born and raised. Well, born in Warwick, but that's five miles away. And my maternal grandparents grew up there. Also my sister lives there, and we, through our maternal grandfather, are descended from the city's founder, Samuel Gorton.Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 8.34.32 AM.jpg

I'm not surprised you got Providence, Duarte, we have quite a bit of Portuguese-language immigration in southeastern New England. A lot from the Azores and also the Cape Verde Islands in Providence. In fact, down the hill from me in West Warwick, until very recently the Iberian language you were most likely to hear in the streets was Portuguese. Quite different from most of American communities, especially around my father's native southern California.

I'm not surprised you got Providence, Duarte, we have quite a bit of Portuguese-language immigration in southeastern New England. A lot from the Azores and also the Cape Verde Islands in Providence. In fact, down the hill from me in West Warwick, until very recently the Iberian language you were most likely to hear in the streets was Portuguese. Quite different from most of American communities, especially around my father's native southern California.

Hello Joey. I heard it said, but I don't know if that is true, that the Lusophone people, although they are not very understood when they speak their native language, have great easy to learn other Indo-European languages, ​​since there are many different phonemes in the Portuguese language, which facilitates the learning of the most difficult phonemes in English. In addition, the influence of Latin in both languages is strong, which helps in the vocabulary learning process, for example: abdomen, culinary, information, frequency, among others! Big hug.

This thread has been viewed 10536 times.

Back