Advisor
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Y-DNA haplogroup
R-PF7566 (R-Y227216)
mtDNA haplogroup
H6a1b7
Although most inscriptions that survive today reference men, who were the leaders of the patriarchal Roman society, Tuck found an example in Naples of a woman named Vettia Sabina, whose husband set up her late 1st century A.D. tombstone. "That inscription contained the Oscan 'Have,' the only use of it found at Neapolis, while it is recorded repeatedly at Pompeii in inscriptions and graffiti," Tuck notes. 'Ave' is the Latin word for 'hail' or 'farewell' and is familiar to Catholics in prayers and songs like Ave Maria. But 'have' reflects the influence of a language called Oscan, which was similar to Latin and spoken in the south of Italy until the 1st century A.D.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristi...-romans-who-escaped-mt-vesuvius/#4f664ca164d8

I found the part about the influence of Oscan in South Italy to be fascinating. I am interested to see their ancient DNA if it is included in the upcoming paper on Italy.

That would be fascinating indeed -- but I expect that we are at least a decade away from being able to differentiate among the various DNA signatures of Italic tribes

This thread has been viewed 3112 times.

Back