Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37

Thread: Cheddar Man, Mesolithic Britain, GEDmatch results

  1. #1
    Elite member Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-09-14
    Posts
    4,578
    Points
    64,082
    Level
    78
    Points: 64,082, Level: 78
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 768
    Overall activity: 38.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    W6

    Ethnic group
    Polish
    Country: Poland



    Cheddar Man, Mesolithic Britain, GEDmatch results

    I have uploaded him to GEDmatch Genesis:

    Cheddar Man England 7150 BC, GEDmatch Genesis kit number - NW6414429

    Eurogenes K36:

    137669 SNPs used in this evaluation

    Population
    Amerindian -
    Arabian -
    Armenian -
    Basque 8.81 Pct
    Central_African -
    Central_Euro -
    East_African -
    East_Asian -
    East_Balkan -
    East_Central_Asian -
    East_Central_Euro 17.68 Pct
    East_Med -
    Eastern_Euro 9.69 Pct
    Fennoscandian 36.88 Pct

    French -
    Iberian -
    Indo-Chinese -
    Italian -
    Malayan -
    Near_Eastern -
    North_African -
    North_Atlantic 7.78 Pct
    North_Caucasian -
    North_Sea 19.15 Pct
    Northeast_African -
    Oceanian -
    Omotic -
    Pygmy -
    Siberian -
    South_Asian -
    South_Central_Asian -
    South_Chinese -
    Volga-Ural -
    West_African -
    West_Caucasian -
    West_Med -

    Similarity Map:



    Edit:

    DNA Land Ancestry Report for Cheddar Man:

    Last edited by Tomenable; 24-02-19 at 19:57.

  2. #2
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    18-08-15
    Posts
    1,400
    Points
    6,604
    Level
    24
    Points: 6,604, Level: 24
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Overall activity: 10.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5a

    Ethnic group
    Swiss
    Country: Switzerland



    Was Cheddar Man part of the Villabruna Cluster?

  3. #3
    Moderator Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree Friends25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Most Popular

    Join Date
    21-10-16
    Posts
    1,727
    Points
    26,994
    Level
    50
    Points: 26,994, Level: 50
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 556
    Overall activity: 0%


    Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    Fascinating. Some people rich in WHG like Basques and Sardinians do not look similar at all to Cheddar Man in the map. Does it suggest that "WHG" is maybe a generic cluster, and there was actually a lot of regional genetic structure? Or is it just because compared to Northern Europeans, who also have a lot more EHG, the sum of Mesolithic European Hunter-Gatherer (WHG+EHG) is lower in the other regions?

  4. #4
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    bicicleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    27-01-13
    Location
    Zwevegem, Belgium
    Posts
    5,382
    Points
    47,218
    Level
    67
    Points: 47,218, Level: 67
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 54.0%


    Country: Belgium - Flanders



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by halfalp View Post
    Was Cheddar Man part of the Villabruna Cluster?
    9.1 ka in Britton, he is bound to be

  5. #5
    Elite member Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-09-14
    Posts
    4,578
    Points
    64,082
    Level
    78
    Points: 64,082, Level: 78
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 768
    Overall activity: 38.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    W6

    Ethnic group
    Polish
    Country: Poland



    I uploaded him to DNA Land, let's see what was his coffee consumption etc. :) Here are his pigmentation SNPs:

    https://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...964#post567964

    I don't think he was "black" in a Sub-Saharan African way, rather something between "Pakistani" and "Dark Finn".

    Dark Finn:


  6. #6
    Princess Achievements:
    Overdrive10000 Experience PointsVeteranThree Friends
    davef's Avatar
    Join Date
    19-06-16
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,234
    Points
    11,815
    Level
    32
    Points: 11,815, Level: 32
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 135
    Overall activity: 17.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italian,Irish,Jewish
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Ygorcs View Post
    Fascinating. Some people rich in WHG like Basques and Sardinians do not look similar at all to Cheddar Man in the map. Does it suggest that "WHG" is maybe a generic cluster, and there was actually a lot of regional genetic structure? Or is it just because compared to Northern Europeans, who also have a lot more EHG, the sum of Mesolithic European Hunter-Gatherer (WHG+EHG) is lower in the other regions?
    Actually it's strange that in the map, Sardinians score only one point higher than Cypriots (2 vs 1) when in reality they have much more WHG ancestry. It makes 0 sense for their WHG to be close to Cypriot levels
    mmmmmmmmm dooouuughhhnuuuutz

  7. #7
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-08-18
    Posts
    842
    Points
    10,677
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,677, Level: 31
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 76.0%


    Country: Germany



    3 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ygorcs View Post
    Fascinating. Some people rich in WHG like Basques and Sardinians do not look similar at all to Cheddar Man in the map. Does it suggest that "WHG" is maybe a generic cluster, and there was actually a lot of regional genetic structure? Or is it just because compared to Northern Europeans, who also have a lot more EHG, the sum of Mesolithic European Hunter-Gatherer (WHG+EHG) is lower in the other regions?
    If Chad Rohlfsen (https://populationgenomics.blog) is right WHG might be a relatively complex admixture of Magdalenian on the one Hand and Anatolian + Gravettian + ANE + ENA on the other. This could explain the similarity to Finno-Ugrian groups who have additional Gravettian and ENA admixture from Siberia.

    It would be interesting to investigate whether the HG admixture in Basques is more similar to Magdalenians.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Joey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-06-18
    Location
    Coventry, Rhode Island
    Posts
    336
    Points
    4,050
    Level
    18
    Points: 4,050, Level: 18
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 200
    Overall activity: 19.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-YP445
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c2b

    Ethnic group
    Celto-Germanic
    Country: USA - Rhode Island



    Hmm, pigmentation. Maybe he was like an Arab, since the WHG were I haplogroup and Arabs are J, so they descend from the same ancestral stock on the male line. With his clustering with Northern Norway and Estonia, maybe we need to come up with a new group, Northern Hunter-Gatherers.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-08-18
    Posts
    842
    Points
    10,677
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,677, Level: 31
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 76.0%


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Joey37 View Post
    Hmm, pigmentation. Maybe he was like an Arab, since the WHG were I haplogroup and Arabs are J, so they descend from the same ancestral stock on the male line. With his clustering with Northern Norway and Estonia, maybe we need to come up with a new group, Northern Hunter-Gatherers.
    AFAIK the scientists in question looked at more SNPs than just those in the Hirisplex system. Is there any good reason to doubt the skin color of the reconstruction?

  10. #10
    Regular Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    11-11-18
    Age
    18
    Posts
    28
    Points
    791
    Level
    7
    Points: 791, Level: 7
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-Y10561

    Ethnic group
    Bereber Arabic
    Country: Morocco



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Cheddar Man Genetic analysis showed that it was Y DNA I2a2b-S10750 Or I-L38*
    Cheddar Man is a "partial" I-L38*, a line ancestral to all I-L38s today as follows:
    Y11324/FGC29600+
    Y11319/FGC29553+
    S2524/SK1263/V2774+
    S2519+
    Y13463/FGC29582+
    S2592+
    S8646 (2/3 reads derived)
    The other SNPs are ancestral
    https://yfull.com/tree/I-L38/

  11. #11
    Elite member Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-09-14
    Posts
    4,578
    Points
    64,082
    Level
    78
    Points: 64,082, Level: 78
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 768
    Overall activity: 38.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    W6

    Ethnic group
    Polish
    Country: Poland



    Quote Originally Posted by markod View Post
    AFAIK the scientists in question looked at more SNPs than just those in the Hirisplex system. Is there any good reason to doubt the skin color of the reconstruction?
    I have seen several skin color reconstructions ranging from:

    This: http://www.early-man.com/cheddar-man.html

    ... to this:

    https://www.euronews.com/2018/02/07/...ent-phenomenon



    These are quite different, 2nd looks MENA, 1st looks Black.

    =====

    Here is a good article:

    https://www.gnxp.com/WordPress/2018/...-be-published/

  12. #12
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-05-17
    Posts
    2,922
    Points
    37,222
    Level
    59
    Points: 37,222, Level: 59
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 99.2%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable View Post
    I have uploaded him to GEDmatch Genesis:

    Cheddar Man England 7150 BC, GEDmatch Genesis kit number - NW6414429

    Eurogenes K36:

    137669 SNPs used in this evaluation

    Population
    Amerindian -
    Arabian -
    Armenian -
    Basque 8.81 Pct
    Central_African -
    Central_Euro -
    East_African -
    East_Asian -
    East_Balkan -
    East_Central_Asian -
    East_Central_Euro 17.68 Pct
    East_Med -
    Eastern_Euro 9.69 Pct
    Fennoscandian 36.88 Pct

    French -
    Iberian -
    Indo-Chinese -
    Italian -
    Malayan -
    Near_Eastern -
    North_African -
    North_Atlantic 7.78 Pct
    North_Caucasian -
    North_Sea 19.15 Pct
    Northeast_African -
    Oceanian -
    Omotic -
    Pygmy -
    Siberian -
    South_Asian -
    South_Central_Asian -
    South_Chinese -
    Volga-Ural -
    West_African -
    West_Caucasian -
    West_Med -

    Similarity Map:


    From a K36 Oracle




  13. #13
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-05-17
    Posts
    2,922
    Points
    37,222
    Level
    59
    Points: 37,222, Level: 59
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 99.2%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Actually it's strange that in the map, Sardinians score only one point higher than Cypriots (2 vs 1) when in reality they have much more WHG ancestry. It makes 0 sense for their WHG to be close to Cypriot levels
    Cheddy:
    Eurogenes Hunter_Gatherer vs. Farmer Admixture Proportions

    Population

    Anatolian Farmer -
    Baltic Hunter Gatherer 94.00 Pct
    Middle Eastern Herder -
    East Asian Farmer 0.09
    Pct South American Hunter Gatherer -
    South Asian Hunter Gatherer -
    North Eurasian Hunter Gatherer -
    East African Pastoralist -
    Oceanian Hunter Gatherer 0.35 Pct
    Mediterranean Farmer 5.56 Pct
    Pygmy Hunter Gatherer -
    Bantu Farmer -

  14. #14
    Elite member Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    25-10-11
    Location
    Brittany
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,408
    Points
    40,323
    Level
    61
    Points: 40,323, Level: 61
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 18.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

    Ethnic group
    more celtic
    Country: France



    Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable View Post
    I have seen several skin color reconstructions ranging from:

    This: http://www.early-man.com/cheddar-man.html

    ... to this:

    https://www.euronews.com/2018/02/07/...ent-phenomenon



    These are quite different, 2nd looks MENA, 1st looks Black.

    =====

    Here is a good article:

    https://www.gnxp.com/WordPress/2018/...-be-published/
    I 'll came back later but I just say here the discrepencies between the two reconstructions show us how unreliable these things can be; the first one seems to me the less reliable, not specially about skin colour but about features: nose flesh, lips... a provocative one for sure...
    I think the 'cromalike' heritage was for thin lips, the 'brnlike' one was for thicker lips, so some choice in Mesolithic, but even like that, these curious lips???

  15. #15
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-08-18
    Posts
    842
    Points
    10,677
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,677, Level: 31
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 76.0%


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable View Post
    I have seen several skin color reconstructions ranging from:

    This: http://www.early-man.com/cheddar-man.html

    ... to this:

    https://www.euronews.com/2018/02/07/...ent-phenomenon



    These are quite different, 2nd looks MENA, 1st looks Black.

    =====

    Here is a good article:

    https://www.gnxp.com/WordPress/2018/...-be-published/
    Not a good article IMHO. Same old "I feel he should be lighter".

  16. #16
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    ToBeOrNotToBe's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-12-16
    Posts
    1,116


    Country: United Kingdom



    Quote Originally Posted by markod View Post
    Not a good article IMHO. Same old "I feel he should be lighter".
    It would be surprising though if people like him contribute a significant amount of N Euro ancestry (and N Euros are light skinned). They also chose the darkest possible estimate from a range of possible pigmentations, which says it all really

    Something like Yemenis is a pigmentation I could “accept” as plausible

  17. #17
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    30-09-16
    Posts
    175
    Points
    4,834
    Level
    20
    Points: 4,834, Level: 20
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Canada



    2 members found this post helpful.
    Iain Mathieson said a few days ago on Twitter:

    I would say that basically it is impossible to predict skin pigmentation of these populations [SHG and WHG] with any degree of confidence, partly because they likely had variants that are not common today, and partly because there is too much epistasis.... I mean if you had some of the light pigmentation alleles you would probably guess lighter than if not, but I would still be extremely skeptical of any kind of quantitative prediction. There are hundreds of GW-significant pigmentation variants in UK Biobank alone, and these sort of predictions involve a small fraction of those

    It seems we have underestimated the complexity of pigmentation genetics until recently. People favouring relatively light skin (racists and conspiracy theorists aside) are figuring that selection would have worked on them as it has on modern high-latitude people. At this point we just don't really know.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-08-18
    Posts
    842
    Points
    10,677
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,677, Level: 31
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 76.0%


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by ToBeOrNotToBe View Post
    It would be surprising though if people like him contribute a significant amount of N Euro ancestry (and N Euros are light skinned). They also chose the darkest possible estimate from a range of possible pigmentations, which says it all really

    Something like Yemenis is a pigmentation I could “accept” as plausible
    I think he's lighter than many Eurasians like Papuans, Australians and especially Onge to whom he might have some additional affinities. If he had lighter skin it would have been caused by allelles that got lost anyway.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    27-05-18
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    38
    Points
    1,247
    Level
    9
    Points: 1,247, Level: 9
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Overall activity: 1.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    I1a1c

    Ethnic group
    Georgian
    Country: Georgia



    Jesus some people are soo concerned about white skin color it's embarrassing. Almost like they're embarrassed to be related to someone with a dark skin... Face it guys, you are recent descendants of dark people. Caucasians are the true white people. xD

  20. #20
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Carlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-09-11
    Posts
    1,739
    Points
    22,449
    Level
    45
    Points: 22,449, Level: 45
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 98.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-BY7449*>YF66572
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5c1

    Ethnic group
    España
    Country: Spain



    1 members found this post helpful.


    I have made this recreation. I think they have done a good reconstruction, I have seen it working on it. The only thing that I think had given it a somewhat cannibalistic look and yet to my recreation I have seen more human aspects similar to modern man. His hair was graying gray and he could have had blue eyes or his children do not know, but he certainly did not have blue ones, it was rather that chestnut that looks red that would vary according to the light, there in the photo I was giving the light very fully it is understandable that they came out so red, poor man.

  21. #21
    Elite member Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-09-14
    Posts
    4,578
    Points
    64,082
    Level
    78
    Points: 64,082, Level: 78
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 768
    Overall activity: 38.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    W6

    Ethnic group
    Polish
    Country: Poland



    ^^^ "Red Skin" Amerindian? :)

    he certainly did not have blue ones
    What is this statement based on?

  22. #22
    Elite member Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-09-14
    Posts
    4,578
    Points
    64,082
    Level
    78
    Points: 64,082, Level: 78
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 768
    Overall activity: 38.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    W6

    Ethnic group
    Polish
    Country: Poland



    Quote Originally Posted by markod View Post
    Onge to whom he might have some additional affinities.
    ???

    There are Onge and Jarawa on GEDmatch, they score like ancient Hoabinhians (also on GEDmatch):

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoabinhian

    They all score mainly South Asian, Malayan and Oceanian. Onge, Jarawa, Malaysia & Laos foragers.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Carlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-09-11
    Posts
    1,739
    Points
    22,449
    Level
    45
    Points: 22,449, Level: 45
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 98.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-BY7449*>YF66572
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5c1

    Ethnic group
    España
    Country: Spain



    Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable View Post
    ^^^ "Red Skin" Amerindian? :)

    What is this statement based on?
    It's inexplicable.

  24. #24
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Three Friends1 year registered25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Community Award
    Salento's Avatar
    Join Date
    31-05-17
    Posts
    2,922
    Points
    37,222
    Level
    59
    Points: 37,222, Level: 59
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 99.2%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H12a

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos View Post


    I have made this recreation. I think they have done a good reconstruction, I have seen it working on it. The only thing that I think had given it a somewhat cannibalistic look and yet to my recreation I have seen more human aspects similar to modern man. His hair was graying gray and he could have had blue eyes or his children do not know, but he certainly did not have blue ones, it was rather that chestnut that looks red that would vary according to the light, there in the photo I was giving the light very fully it is understandable that they came out so red, poor man.
    You turned Cheddar Man into a stone-age Drag Queen. LOL

  25. #25
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Carlos's Avatar
    Join Date
    26-09-11
    Posts
    1,739
    Points
    22,449
    Level
    45
    Points: 22,449, Level: 45
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 101
    Overall activity: 98.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-BY7449*>YF66572
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5c1

    Ethnic group
    España
    Country: Spain



    1 members found this post helpful.
    ^^Already in the original photo that does not mean that it was so exactly looks something childish or even a little effeminate I mean in the aspect not in other connotations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •