Questions about my gedmatch results

Renaissance96

Reaction score
So MyHeritage says I'm 64.5% Ashkenazi Jewish. Then overall 35.5% from East Europe and they break it down to 14.6% East European, 12.4% Balkan and 8.5% Baltic.
These results make really sense to me, as my family originated from eastern Europe and I was born in ukrain. Also I know that some of my family members are ashkenazi.
But now I am confused about my gedmatch results (my kit number: ES6595202). The oracle in the K13 admixture (Single population sharing) says I am primarily related to Greek population. Then Bulgarian, Italian, silician etc. Ashkenazi and jews from several ethnicities like Tunisian jews and so on appear on the list as well.
Population:
North Atlantic: 18.79%
Baltic: 17.20%
West Med: 18.68%
West Asian: 12.23%
East Med: 25.40%
Red Sea: 3.56%
South Asian: 0.75%
Siberian: 0.45%
Armerindian: 0.13%
Oceanian: 0.06%
Northeast African: 1.31%
I tried those tools which locates you and your ancestors on a map and it located me between Greece and Turkey (I think it were K36 and K15 results).
So I don't understand what I have to do with greece or with the east mediterranean region in general? All I knew is that my family and ancestors were from east Europe.. How to interpret it, like do the gedmatch results show my ancient ancestry or something? I've heard gedmatch is more accurate, but maybe I shouldn't take the results too serious?

Ancestry is based on a model that every company defines. If you upload your raw data file into other companies you will get different results you need to complement with your knowledge of your ancestry to understand them correctly.
On the other hand, Gedmatch models make a breakdown of your genetical composition and compared that to old populations depending on the model. SO they are two different things although they are related in a certain way. Try different models Eurogenes K13, K15 , Dodecal etc untill you are satisfied that results matches what you already know.

So MyHeritage says I'm 64.5% Ashkenazi Jewish. Then overall 35.5% from East Europe and they break it down to 14.6% East European, 12.4% Balkan and 8.5% Baltic.
These results make really sense to me, as my family originated from eastern Europe and I was born in ukrain. Also I know that some of my family members are ashkenazi.
But now I am confused about my gedmatch results (my kit number: ES6595202). The oracle in the K13 admixture (Single population sharing) says I am primarily related to Greek population. Then Bulgarian, Italian, silician etc. Ashkenazi and jews from several ethnicities like Tunisian jews and so on appear on the list as well.
Population:
North Atlantic: 18.79%
Baltic: 17.20%
West Med: 18.68%
West Asian: 12.23%
East Med: 25.40%
Red Sea: 3.56%
South Asian: 0.75%
Siberian: 0.45%
Armerindian: 0.13%
Oceanian: 0.06%
Northeast African: 1.31%
I tried those tools which locates you and your ancestors on a map and it located me between Greece and Turkey (I think it were K36 and K15 results).
So I don't understand what I have to do with greece or with the east mediterranean region in general? All I knew is that my family and ancestors were from east Europe.. How to interpret it, like do the gedmatch results show my ancient ancestry or something? I've heard gedmatch is more accurate, but maybe I shouldn't take the results too serious?

Try Eurogenes Jtest

This thread has been viewed 5381 times.

Back