Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: "Ghost" Archaic introgression in African populations

  1. #1
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,822
    Points
    248,766
    Level
    100
    Points: 248,766, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    5 out of 6 members found this post helpful.

    "Ghost" Archaic introgression in African populations

    See:
    Arun Durvasula, View ORCID ProfileSriram Sankararaman
    "Recovering signals of ghost archaic introgression in African populations"

    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/285734v2

    "While introgression from Neanderthals and Denisovans has been well-documented in modern humans outside Africa, the contribution of archaic hominins to the genetic variation of present-day Africans remains poorly understood. Using 405 whole-genome sequences from four sub-Saharan African populations, we provide complementary lines of evidence for archaic introgression into these populations. Our analyses of site frequency spectra indicate that these populations derive 2-19% of their genetic ancestry from an archaic population that diverged prior to the split of Neanderthals and modern humans. Using a method that can identify segments of archaic ancestry without the need for reference archaic genomes, we built genome-wide maps of archaic ancestry in the Yoruba and the Mende populations that recover about 482 and 502 megabases of archaic sequence, respectively. Analyses of these maps reveal segments of archaic ancestry at high frequency in these populations that represent potential targets of adaptive introgression. Our results reveal the substantial contribution of archaic ancestry in shaping the gene pool of present-day African populations."


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  2. #2
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class

    Join Date
    18-08-15
    Posts
    1,370
    Points
    5,836
    Level
    22
    Points: 5,836, Level: 22
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 1.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L2
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c5a

    Ethnic group
    Swiss
    Country: Switzerland



    So while humans got out of Africa, without this Archaic ancestry, there was another Homininae in Africa? If they are not referencing it, i guess North Africans dont have this archaic ancestry. Interesting stuff. Probably an Archaic Sapiens shifted from the Sapiens that left Africa. Jebel Irhoud, Idaltu, something else?

  3. #3
    Moderator Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,612
    Points
    69,913
    Level
    82
    Points: 69,913, Level: 82
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,537
    Overall activity: 99.3%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    I look forward to when consumer genetic testing will be able to identify these currently unknown archaic hominids.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Moi-même's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-16
    Location
    Quebec City
    Posts
    95
    Points
    3,173
    Level
    16
    Points: 3,173, Level: 16
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 5.0%

    MtDNA haplogroup
    H2a1

    Ethnic group
    French Canadian
    Country: Canada-Quebec



    0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Mende in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea; Yoruba from Nigeria to Côte-d'Ivoire...

    From the fossil record, homo rhodesiensis seems too young, maybe homo antecessor or homo ergaster? Maybe a new homo species we haven't found trace of yet?

  5. #5
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-08-18
    Posts
    842
    Points
    10,677
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,677, Level: 31
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 76.0%


    Country: Germany



    I think equatorial West Africa might have been fully colonized by modern humans only quite late. If I had to guess the major constituents of modern West African ancestry would likely be Sudanese Wadi Halfa + archaic Iwo Elero, with varying degrees of Mbuti and North African admixtures. That would explain why Nilotics are inferred to share so much drift with West Eurasians in particular compared to Bantu populations. Archaic and Mbuti admixture pulls Bantu away.

    The rainforests could have provided shelter for surviving archaic groups.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    09-06-18
    Posts
    99
    Points
    3,018
    Level
    15
    Points: 3,018, Level: 15
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Spain - Catalonia



    Interesting, I subscribe myself to this post.

  7. #7
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    bicicleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    27-01-13
    Location
    Zwevegem, Belgium
    Posts
    5,254
    Points
    41,728
    Level
    63
    Points: 41,728, Level: 63
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,222
    Overall activity: 45.0%


    Country: Belgium - Flanders



    if you check haplogroup A, western Africa has the highest diversity

    I guess new subclades devellopped on the savanna in East-Africa, and west-Africa was a refuge for those who couldn't coop with the competition of new evolutions and the relative dense popultation

  8. #8
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    17-09-17
    Posts
    278
    Points
    2,803
    Level
    15
    Points: 2,803, Level: 15
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Overall activity: 23.0%


    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by bicicleur View Post
    if you check haplogroup A, western Africa has the highest diversity

    I guess new subclades devellopped on the savanna in East-Africa, and west-Africa was a refuge for those who couldn't coop with the competition of new evolutions and the relative dense popultation
    You are assuming haplogroup A carriers are less able to compete, with no reason whatsoever.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    29-04-18
    Posts
    48
    Points
    1,419
    Level
    10
    Points: 1,419, Level: 10
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Norway



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Our analyses of site frequency spectra indicate that these populations derive 2-19% of their genetic ancestry from an archaic population that diverged prior to the split of Neanderthals and modern humans.
    19 percent !?! Thats an amount almost equal to an F2! The average between 2 and 19 % is 10,5. Thats pretty much a F3!

  10. #10
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,822
    Points
    248,766
    Level
    100
    Points: 248,766, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    bicicleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    27-01-13
    Location
    Zwevegem, Belgium
    Posts
    5,254
    Points
    41,728
    Level
    63
    Points: 41,728, Level: 63
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,222
    Overall activity: 45.0%


    Country: Belgium - Flanders



    Quote Originally Posted by Ownstyler View Post
    You are assuming haplogroup A carriers are less able to compete, with no reason whatsoever.
    no, I'm not saying that
    just that West-Africa is has the most of small very old subclades who are/were on the brink of extinction
    West-Africa is the only place where they survived

  12. #12
    Elite member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    holderlin's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-12-14
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    763
    Points
    7,464
    Level
    25
    Points: 7,464, Level: 25
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 12.0%


    Country: USA - Washington



    That is a TON of archaic in Mende. Wow. And that's old archaic too.

  13. #13
    Regular Member Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    23-04-18
    Posts
    66


    Country: North Korea



    0 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

    Cool

    The Mende people, like most West Africans, don't really have any archaic physical features besides lower facial prognathism, which existed among early modern humans in the fossil record. Carleton Coon once wrote that there was no purer Sapiens man than a "Negro" [sic] -- a surprisingly candid observation for the 1930s.


    Stephen Jay Gould demonstrated that Negroid skulls were more "neotenous" and therefore more evolved than Caucasoid and Australian Aboriginal skulls. How could Black people be more evolved than whites with an 18% archaic introgression, if that population was truly "archaic?"


    If the Mende have non-Sapiens ancestry, it must have come from a highly evolved population that had become its own version of Sapiens, which basically validates either the parallel polygenic evolution theory of human subspecies of Carleton Coon, or Milford Wolpoff's multispecific co-evolution theory, because that population definitely crossed over in to "Sapiens" (anatomically) before interbreeding with these Africans.


    Personally, I think it's just junk science like most of the "ancient DNA" crap going on nowadays, that will probably be turned over in no time.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-08-18
    Posts
    842
    Points
    10,677
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,677, Level: 31
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 76.0%


    Country: Germany



    Quote Originally Posted by Punish Them 911 View Post
    The Mende people, like most West Africans, don't really have any archaic physical features besides lower facial prognathism, which existed among early modern humans in the fossil record. Carleton Coon once wrote that there was no purer Sapiens man than a "Negro" [sic] -- a surprisingly candid observation for the 1930s.
    Stephen Jay Gould demonstrated that Negroid skulls were more "neotenous" and therefore more evolved than Caucasoid and Australian Aboriginal skulls. How could Black people be more evolved than whites with an 18% archaic introgression, if that population was truly "archaic?"
    If the Mende have non-Sapiens ancestry, it must have come from a highly evolved population that had become its own version of Sapiens, which basically validates either the parallel polygenic evolution theory of human subspecies of Carleton Coon, or Milford Wolpoff's multispecific co-evolution theory, because that population definitely crossed over in to "Sapiens" (anatomically) before interbreeding with these Africans.
    Personally, I think it's just junk science like most of the "ancient DNA" crap going on nowadays, that will probably be turned over in no time.
    It might be better to drop the Neanderthal supremacist doctrine, you're embarrassing yourself with those ever more convoluted conspiracy theories.

    Think about it for a second before lashing out.

  15. #15
    Elite member Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-09-14
    Posts
    4,482
    Points
    57,575
    Level
    74
    Points: 57,575, Level: 74
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 975
    Overall activity: 37.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    W6

    Ethnic group
    Polish
    Country: Poland



    Iwo Eleru skull from Nigeria does not belong to an anatomically modern human, despite being very young:

    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-14947363

    "Reanalysis of the 13,000-year-old skull from a cave in West Africa reveals a skull more primitive-looking than its age suggests."

  16. #16
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    29-12-16
    Posts
    66
    Points
    2,494
    Level
    14
    Points: 2,494, Level: 14
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 256
    Overall activity: 0%

    MtDNA haplogroup
    T2

    Country: Bulgaria



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    This may have solved the mystery with haplogroup A00, which is only found in Western Africa around Cameroon. Since it was estimated to be around 270000y.o, older than Homo Sapience, some people thought it came from interbreeding with an extinct hominid. However, geneticists did not want to get involved in its scientific study, cautious not to be accused of racism. The A00 project for collecting DNA samples from Cameroon was crowd funded a few years ago.
    A00 (A00-AF6)


    Mendez et al. (2013) announced the discovery of a previously unknown haplogroup, for which they proposed the designator "A00". It has an estimated age of around 270 kya,[older than estimates for the age of anatomically modern humans current at the time.
    A00 is also sometimes known as "Perry's Y-chromosome" (or simply "Perry's Y"). This previously unknown haplogroup was discovered in 2012, in the Y chromosome of an African-American man, who had submitted his DNA for commercial genealogical analysis.) The subsequent discovery of other males belonging to A00 led to the reclassification of Perry's Y as A00a (A-L1149).
    Researchers later found A00 was possessed by 11 Mbo males of Western Cameroon (out of a sample of 174 (6.32%). Subsequent research suggested that the overall rate of A00 was even higher among the Mbo, i.e. 9.3% (8 of 86) were later found to fall within A00b (A-A4987).
    Further research in 2015 indicates that the modern population with the highest concentration of A00 is the Bangwa (or Nweh), a Yemba-speaking group of Cameroon (fr:Bangoua (peuple)): 27 of 67 (40.3%) samples were positive for A00a (L1149). One Bangwa individual did not fit into either A00a or A00b.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    07-08-18
    Posts
    842
    Points
    10,677
    Level
    31
    Points: 10,677, Level: 31
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 76.0%


    Country: Germany



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomenable View Post
    Iwo Eleru skull from Nigeria does not belong to an anatomically modern human, despite being very young:

    https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-14947363

    "Reanalysis of the 13,000-year-old skull from a cave in West Africa reveals a skull more primitive-looking than its age suggests."
    I wonder if he's admixed or pure archaic. There are no traces of sapiens in West Africa before the Neolithic afaik.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    30-09-16
    Posts
    174
    Points
    4,236
    Level
    18
    Points: 4,236, Level: 18
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 14
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: Canada



    There are very few pre-Neolithic human remains from West Africa at all. Really, what is there apart from Iwo Eleru? Some fragmentary remains from Shum Laka, if you count Cameroon.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Moi-même's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-03-16
    Location
    Quebec City
    Posts
    95
    Points
    3,173
    Level
    16
    Points: 3,173, Level: 16
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 277
    Overall activity: 5.0%

    MtDNA haplogroup
    H2a1

    Ethnic group
    French Canadian
    Country: Canada-Quebec



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    John Hawks talk about the subject last month in a Gibraltar conference. The relevant part start about 28:00.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa3258dAOxo

  20. #20
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,822
    Points
    248,766
    Level
    100
    Points: 248,766, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moi-même View Post
    John Hawks talk about the subject last month in a Gibraltar conference. The relevant part start about 28:00.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa3258dAOxo

    Thanks, Moi-meme.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    13-05-18
    Posts
    150
    Points
    3,795
    Level
    17
    Points: 3,795, Level: 17
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 55
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: United States



    John Hawks was one of those who went on a witch hunt against David Reich and other ancient DNA researchers. To Hell with him.

  22. #22
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,822
    Points
    248,766
    Level
    100
    Points: 248,766, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Alyan View Post
    John Hawks was one of those who went on a witch hunt against David Reich and other ancient DNA researchers. To Hell with him.
    Well, he may still be right about the subject of this thread.

    I was disappointed in him as well as far as the Reich story goes.

  23. #23
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

    Join Date
    17-09-17
    Posts
    278
    Points
    2,803
    Level
    15
    Points: 2,803, Level: 15
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 247
    Overall activity: 23.0%


    Country: United States



    1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Keep in mind that these are just simulated models. The numbers are not necessarily reliable. They are using 95% CI intervals, just like all the social sciences, which produce conflicting claims with equally deserving methodology. Their CI for admixture time goes from 0 to 125.000 ybp! The CI for archaic DNA inheritance is 2%-19%, as you all noted, a huge interval. In my experience, that is not a very good sign. If they set the CI at 99% it would have probably included 0. And remember that they did this a year ago, and since then the numbers have changed quite a bit.

    In any case, the split they suggested for this archaic human lineage is around 625.000 ybp, quite far, but not that much further than the Sapiens-Neaderthal/Denisova split.

    But disregarding the numbers, the main conclusion that some African population interbred with yet unknown archaic humans looks very plausible.

  24. #24
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    14,822
    Points
    248,766
    Level
    100
    Points: 248,766, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Ownstyler View Post
    Keep in mind that these are just simulated models. The numbers are not necessarily reliable. They are using 95% CI intervals, just like all the social sciences, which produce conflicting claims with equally deserving methodology. Their CI for admixture time goes from 0 to 125.000 ybp! The CI for archaic DNA inheritance is 2%-19%, as you all noted, a huge interval. In my experience, that is not a very good sign. If they set the CI at 99% it would have probably included 0. And remember that they did this a year ago, and since then the numbers have changed quite a bit.

    In any case, the split they suggested for this archaic human lineage is around 625.000 ybp, quite far, but not that much further than the Sapiens-Neaderthal/Denisova split.

    But disregarding the numbers, the main conclusion that some African population interbred with yet unknown archaic humans looks very plausible.
    Thanks for the analysis. Very clear.

  25. #25
    Moderator Achievements:
    Three FriendsTagger First Class1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Jovialis's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-05-17
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,612
    Points
    69,913
    Level
    82
    Points: 69,913, Level: 82
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,537
    Overall activity: 99.3%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b1a1a2b1 (R-F1794)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H6a1b

    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by Moi-même View Post
    Mende in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea; Yoruba from Nigeria to Côte-d'Ivoire...

    From the fossil record, homo rhodesiensis seems too young, maybe homo antecessor or homo ergaster? Maybe a new homo species we haven't found trace of yet?
    In the past it has been assumed that it is a sub-species of Homo Erectus.

    “Based on our analysis, the most plausible explanation for this extreme variation is archaic introgression — the introduction of genetic material from a ‘ghost’ species of ancient hominins,” Gokcumen says. “This unknown human relative could be a species that has been discovered, such as a subspecies of Homo erectus, or an undiscovered hominin. We call it a ‘ghost’ species because we don’t have the fossils.”

    http://www.buffalo.edu/news/releases/2017/07/028.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •