Latest Reich talk on ancient Dna

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
He also confirmed Ancient Nubian DNA is on the pipeline. Which combined with the Djehutynakht nuclear DNA would be well helpful.

There is unfortunately still no date about the publication of the two papers(Iberian and South/Central Asia). All said is "soon", it would be nicer if at least an estimated number of weeks/months were informed when it is the case that so many people are waiting eagerly for the results of the studies.

After learning that things like this (total replacement of Y in Iberia) existed in the past, I can understand better why religions appeared in that environment: it was just to moderate the absurdity of massive violence by the most powerful.

Funny enough, Reich also pointed out that not only does Iberia have a significant amount of admixture traceable to North Africa but it well predates the Moors' rule. No later than the Romans.

There is unfortunately still no date about the publication of the two papers(Iberian and South/Central Asia). All said is "soon", it would be nicer if at least an estimated number of weeks/months were informed when it is the case that so many people are waiting eagerly for the results of the studies.
I suspect that such delay in these and other papers is caused by findings that aren't pro-steppe, even amateurs are swiching westwards (wait, we will find L51 in the western steppe, not that, well, wait, we will find L51 in the Pannonian steppe, not that, uch, wait again, L51 was in westermost CWC area...). Of course I'm delighted to read such things along as in my mind it plays the song of Pet Shop Boys "Go West!", maybe they end in Atlantis :)

After learning that things like this (total replacement of Y in Iberia) existed in the past, I can understand better why religions appeared in that environment: it was just to moderate the absurdity of massive violence by the most powerful.

It's terrible isn't it? It happened in so many places and time periods. It could make you despair of human nature.

Western religion's answer is original sin.

Lately I've begun to think we just haven't evolved far enough from chimps.

It's terrible isn't it? It happened in so many places and time periods. It could make you despair of human nature.

Western religion's answer is original sin.

Lately I've begun to think we just haven't evolved far enough from chimps.

we wouldn't be 7.5 billion today if it were so
but a planet without war and violence is an utopia, I'm afraid

we wouldn't be 7.5 billion today if it were so
but a planet without war and violence is an utopia, I'm afraid

Perhaps it's a pipe dream, but I don't see how our survival as a species makes the genocide we commit over and over again any more acceptable. What I despair of is our moral nature.

Also, given atomic weapons, perhaps even our survival is not guaranteed.

Perhaps it's a pipe dream, but I don't see how our survival as a species makes the genocide we commit over and over again any more acceptable. What I despair of is our moral nature.

Or biological weapons.

we don't have enough info as to accept massive massacres, if BB were originaly a herder people and farmers were diying by starvation by bad crops they just expanded by getting empty houses. Case studies for BB expansion are not supporting massacres, at least in Catalonia... but it is true that they had advanced weapons and the control of a given territory could be done in a new way.

^^That won't fly. 60% of the genetics of people on the Iberian peninsula is from the Middle/Late Neolithic farmers, so the women survived. Only the men were largely wiped out.

I don't like it, but that seems to be the way it was.

you are forgetting that BB in much of Iberia was already stablished before any Central European reflux, like the Barcelona R1b beakers devoid of steppe.

I can provide a good example, Viking colonizers in Greenland and the 100% replacement by Eskimos, which percent of such replacement was by weather and by violence?

you are forgetting that BB in much of Iberia was already stablished before any Central European reflux, like the Barcelona R1b beakers devoid of steppe.

How is that relevant, Berun? We're not talking about pottery styles here, we're talking about a migration of people, mostly men, from central Europe, who largely replaced the indigenous y.

What difference does it make if these stepped admixed people from central Europe had previously adopted the Beaker pottery etc. in Central Europe.

Of course, these Central Europeans had themselves absorbed MN/LN ancestry. They were only about 50% or less of steppe origin. Again, however, their "farmer" ancestry was from women, the "farmer" men having largely been wiped out.

I used to think a lot of it might have been due to climate change leading to starvation and depopulation and the plague etc. and I still think it's true that these decreased numbers, but there's still a skew where some women survived to procreate, but not the men.

How is that relevant, Berun? We're not talking about pottery styles here, we're talking about a migration of people, mostly men, from central Europe, who largely replaced the indigenous y.

What difference does it make if these stepped admixed people from central Europe had previously adopted the Beaker pottery etc. in Central Europe.

Of course, these Central Europeans had themselves absorbed MN/LN ancestry. They were only about 50% or less of steppe origin. Again, however, their "farmer" ancestry was from women, the "farmer" men having largely been wiped out.

I used to think a lot of it might have been due to climate change leading to starvation and depopulation and the plague etc. and I still think it's true that these decreased numbers, but there's still a skew where some women survived to procreate, but not the men.

according to reich those 40% are pure "eastern" ancestry. so if the incoming people were only 50% steppe the replacement would have been massive.

yes, but you were comparing us to apes
imagine apes with atomic weapons, I don't think there would be any restraint
but I don't deny, we're just animals with brains
and 7.5 billion on the planet, it matters, look how apes react when there is overpopulation

on the other hand, humans without any animal instinct wouldn't be humans any more, we'd turn into robots

I can provide a good example, Viking colonizers in Greenland and the 100% replacement by Eskimos, which percent of such replacement was by weather and by violence?

100 % replacement in an environment that had a history of wiping out populations is not the same as a selective replacement of the men in a land with good carrying capacity and mediterranean climate.

i looked at the graphbagain and i think the "eastern ancestry" is just ancestry from central europe not from the steppe. he could have been a bit more clear. what was the average amount of this eastern ancestry in the incoming people? its' interessting the ancestries were both present for 500 years. reich says then they start to collapse into each other but on his graph it looks like these eastern migrants were already mixing quite a lot with the local population so maybe the "collapse" started immediately. there might just have been a few unmixed populations for 500 years?

edit: though reich says that the eastern ancestry is ultimately related to the steppe in is presentation. i don't understand it anymore.

Last edited:

what men from Central Europe if Reich is the unique providing such admixture in Bronze Age Iberia, and even there are here and there BB men without it? Even Romanized Germans carried cultural traits when they take the Roman empire, can you provide even a proof of Central European cultural trait in Iberian BB?

This thread has been viewed 97853 times.

Back