Italian cuisine is the most popular in the world

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
I'm not surprised, although I'm surprised at how high the numbers are: 84% as an average worldwide. The Spanish particularly like it (94%), the French (93%) and the British (91%). Chinese and then Japanese are second and third. Finnish cuisine basically comes out dead last. Are people just trying lutefisk? :) The rest can't be that bad.

Italians unsurprisingly aren't very keen on the cuisine of other countries, with the exception of Spanish and Greek food. Chinese food and French food are liked by 60%. Most of them dislike Southeast Asian food, northeast European food, and Northern European food the most, including British food.

Americans like American food the best (91%), followed by Italian food, then Mexican, then Chinese. That seems right.

The Japanese are the pickiest eaters, although they too like Italian food.

It's a fun chart.

See:
https://yougov.co.uk/topics/food/ar...m=website_article&utm_campaign=global_cuisine

I am not that sure as to whether it is the most popular but I can say that I really love pasta and pizza.

I think it is necessary to differentiate a "good cuisine" in restaurants, from what normal people in that country eat.

For sure, Italians (and in general, European Mediterraneans) eat very well in both definitions. It is not clear to me the same happens in the other cases.

A little bit of my native city, Belo Horizonte, as described in English Wikipedia:

"Belo Horizonte has a notable Italian influence; around 30% of the city's population have some Italian origin. The Italian culture is present in the cuisine, dance, and language. People of German, Spanish, and Syrian-Lebanese ancestries also make up sizeable groups".

My city have many restaurants maintened by typical italian families and this cuisine, of course, is the better of the citie. :)

Here in Britain we got a taste for Italian food in the 70's, with so many Italian restaurants opening in that period, and we've loved it ever since.

I am not surprised that Italian ranks first. But I think that this survey depends a lot on the familiarity of respondents with other cuisines. Who can boast to know well Emirati, Filipino, Finnish and Singaporean cuisines? Eating it once does not mean we are familiar with it and able to judge it properly, especially if it was a restaurant outside its country of origin that may be very different from the real thing.

What is even Singaporean cuisine? Indian Singaporean (i.e. Tamil), Chinese Singaporean (South Chinese/Cantonese) or Malaysian? Why is Taiwanese cuisine not included within Chinese cuisine, or for that latter why isn't Chinese cuisine divided by regions as it should, as the diversity is as big as between European cuisines? Is American cuisine anything available in the USA, or only dishes that are specifically American, excluding all the other cuisines?

Personally, my top three cuisines are Italian, French and Japanese (in no particular order). Thai and Indian would come next.

I am not surprised that Italian ranks first. But I think that this survey depends a lot on the familiarity of respondents with other cuisines. Who can boast to know well Emirati, Filipino, Finnish and Singaporean cuisines? Eating it once does not mean we are familiar with it and able to judge it properly, especially if it was a restaurant outside its country of origin that may be very different from the real thing.

What is even Singaporean cuisine? Indian Singaporean (i.e. Tamil), Chinese Singaporean (South Chinese/Cantonese) or Malaysian? Why is Taiwanese cuisine not included within Chinese cuisine, or for that latter why isn't Chinese cuisine divided by regions as it should, as the diversity is as big as between European cuisines? Is American cuisine anything available in the USA, or only dishes that are specifically American, excluding all the other cuisines?

Personally, my top three cuisines are Italian, French and Japanese (in no particular order). Thai and Indian would come next.

Agreed on the top three for sure, unless someone has a taste for spices I think that's as close to a "correct" top 3 as you can get. Jewish (or at least Ashkenazi Jewish) food, besides certain deserts like chocolate-filled rugelach(!!!), is absolutely disgusting. If you want to see something truly disgusting AND somehow popular, Google "chopped liver". Here's some wet dog food for comparison - I'm not sure which is less appetising. Warm, doughy challah (the ones that look like this are nicer than the ones that look like this) is also the best bread of any cuisine imo besides maybe Austro-Bavarian pretzels, though I prefer doughy to crunchy (but you can always toast). Besides that, and other exceptions like salt beef, it's probably even worse than British cuisine. Actually, definitely worse - British cuisine is just plain, not disgusting. Then there's gefillte fish, which is basically mushy testicles. If it weren't for some of the starchy foods (which we do quite well actually) and ignoring things like roast chicken and endless chicken soup that are generic, I'd rather eat luxury dog treats.

I'm not overly familiar with non-Ashkenazi Jewish cuisine, but I'm reasonably certain most of it is Ottoman or Berber in origin and absolutely certain that it, unlike Ashkenazi cuisine, is actually pretty good.

Can't forget this video:

This thread has been viewed 5351 times.

Back