Were the Minoans a martial people?

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
https://www.tornosnews.gr/en/greek-...noans-used-violence-and-prepared-for-war.html

I've read a lot about their culture, and I honestly am not sure.

These scholars address the fact that the Minoans did not portray battles or combat in their artwork, and dismiss that as just the fashion. They also make much of the fact that the settlements had defensive walls.

I don't find all of that particularly convincing.

I'm sure there was conflict both within the society and aggression coming from without, but there just doesn't seem to be the kind of warrior cult which was so signficant among the Mycenaeans, only some daggers.

"Likewise in adjacent Petras, at the site of Minoan Siteia, what part could be played by two more walls, nearly cyclopean in structure and with rectangular towers , the second of which surrounds the palace’s plateau on the hill top? According to its excavator, these two walls are part of extensive configuration works of the greater area which are related to the founding of the palace. So what does she believe? ‟Around 1900 B.C. the founding of the Early Minoan palaces was predated by social upheavals, the scale of which we cannot know, until one of the elites of each place prevailed or ,most likely, a compromise was reached between a few distinguished lines of rulers, who then undertook the palaces’ administration. The walls were built immediately afterwards, so they were probably a declaration of power and propaganda by the new authorities in the face of those considering to undermine it, whether local or from across the sea”. Consequently the walls ‟are not associated with any type of warfare, but were built immediately after whatever upheavals, precisely to avoid similar ones in the future, against the new ruling class”, explained the speaker, adding that there are walls belonging to the same period from two other important palatial sites in eastern Crete, those of Malia and Zakros."

What about weapons? During the Early Minoan period (circa 3000-2100), most of them were daggers, i.e. small swords either silver or bronze which according to scholars were either used for display (the silver ones) or as knives(he bronze ones) for various daily uses, while on rare occasions they could have been used as weapons in duels. ‟Roughly about that time, as well as slightly later, we also encounter male figurines that wear similar daggers in their belts, as in the very well known one from the peak sanctuary of Petsofas, near Palaikastron, east of Petras. Such weapons could kill if necessary, but those who carried them probably aimed to impress, displaying their high social position which allowed them to access expensive imported raw materials such as copper and ivory”, Mrs Tsipopoulou pointed out.

"So how can the absence of martial themes in the art of the Minoans be interpreted? In two ways, the speaker pointed out. ‟First of all, that in over 2,000 years of Minoan civilization there were no wars or other conflicts, or secondly that the Minoans believed for some reason that they should not depict battles and warfare … Obviously common sense is in favour of the view that the Minoans chose not to portray war”, she pointed out.It is hard to explain why such a thing occurred. As well as why in Minoan culture there is no representation of or reference to a lord. ‟In Minoan culture we have no representation of a lord, neither has any name come down to us except for that of Minos and perhaps Radamanthes, about whom we do not have much information. Moreover, Homeric Idomeneas was a Mycenaean king of Crete”."

I think that it's a given that ancient societies, especially powerful ones, had a lot of activities, institutions, social rules and constructions devoted to the needs of war. War was inevitable especially with foreigners, but often also within the same community. But that should not be confused with a truly martial, warlike people, which is one in which warriors have not only foremost political power and social status, but also a lot of prestige in the culture, art, even the religion of the people.

I just came from Crete and Herakleion city.

Knossos is a fantastic place,
where the first civilization of Europe had baths that mix warm and cool water.

That is the room of frescos

6a-1200x733.jpg

Well only by first site you can recogn the difference among Minoans Myceneans and later Dorics and Hellenic people.

Minoans seems to be the happiest of them all.
it is not coincidence that at the Underworld Kingdom Judges were Minoans. Μινωας Ραδαμανθυς, (king Minos, Rhadamanthus)

Minoans had a different view of life,
THERE NOT EVEN ONE FRESCO OR SCULPTURE OF WAR IN MINOAN CIVILIZATION.

just look a table game how it was
2Q==

the most 'horrible' if we could call it such,
was a game, like a circus action, where they should jump/turnback and above, above a sword.

offcourse as we see from the boxing kids,
they were trained in martial arts
kykla-pygmaxoi.jpg

the feeling passing from Minoan to Mycenean to Hellenic museum chambers is tottally different.
Minoans seems the happiest of all civilizations.

I (expert)

I think mycenaean had two types of swords. The one is similar to minoan(?) and west asia, but the other one with ring at the end of sword. I think the ring one is related with altai culture. Do you know which type is older, and the origin of the sword with ring?
Findings_from_Grave_IV_%28Grave_Circle_A%29.JPG

And also the below swords have a form of seima turbino swords. Interesting thing is two hats. the left one is like scythian's and the right one is like east scythian hair mode (american indian Mohawk hairstyle)

Greek-Persian_duel.jpg

PazyrikHorseman.JPG

Mohawk_hairstyle

Last edited:
Given the fact that there was a typical G2a farmer type amongst more CHG-heavy pred. J2 types that also expanded across Anatolia to Greece warfare is surely the only real solution no? I know farmers are seen as weak but surely they're not naturally submissive. Elite dominance via social status alone isn't enough either as the new J2 types seemingly became dominant in numbers, which wouldn't happen in a short period of time unless there was some warfare involved.

the 'prince' is a Minoan
If he was Mycenean, he would surely had a sword or a shield with him

%25CE%259C%25CE%25BF%25CF%2585%25CF%2583%25CE%25B5%25CE%25AF%25CE%25BF+%25CE%2597%25CF%2581%25CE%25B1%25CE%25BA%25CE%25BB%25CE%25B5%25CE%25AF%25CE%25BF%25CF%2585+13.jpg

Like the bellow

3374.jpg

Given the fact that there was a typical G2a farmer type amongst more CHG-heavy pred. J2 types that also expanded across Anatolia to Greece warfare is surely the only real solution no? I know farmers are seen as weak but surely they're not naturally submissive. Elite dominance via social status alone isn't enough either as the new J2 types seemingly became dominant in numbers, which wouldn't happen in a short period of time unless there was some warfare involved.

I think it's a wrong statement to think Farmers from the Neolithic were weak Vegans or some sort. In Catal Hoyuk they found rest of Bears, wich means they were enough badass to go hunt such beast. All Neolithic sites shows signs of hunted prey, wich means they weren't that sedentary as a modern Hikikomori. I'm not very sure about the point i'm gonna make but, it's probable that some of them used to ferment Beans and Grains wich gets rid of the antinutrients and is a very common practice in a lot of populations, it would actually make them very healthy and ready to work if you think about it.

I think when we enter into the basic scheme of a " martial state ". Those Farmers didn't get the Weaponry package that later Copper and Bronze people had. But they still had some Stone Axes and Maces to bruise some crania here and there. I think what's really was the no return point was Horses, but apparently they only came in europe in the iron age from nowhere.

The "farmers" invented copper and bronze tools and weapons. The Corded Ware people who moved into more western areas of Europe barely had even any copper.

I don't know how many times it has to be said: the old myth of horse riding, bronze or iron weapon bearing Indo-Europeans scattering all before them in Europe is an anachronism, a transference of the culture and activities of people like the Scythians and later the Huns far into the past.

I think Ygorcs got it right. No human society is without violence. The people of Crete must have had internal conflicts, or one city would not have come to dominate the whole island. They also undoutedly would have tried to defend themselves from invasion.

What I think is true, however, is that they didn't glorify violence and conquest. Perhaps their isolation as an island and the wealth from their trade took their culture in different directions.

It's also true that the Indo-Europeans did develop a culture where the warrior was idealized. We can see it in the Mycenaeans, the culture which in some ways has defined that Indo-European culture, has served as the source material for study, in a sense. The irony, and the surprise for some, is that they had perhaps at the most 10-20% actual "steppe" Indo-European" ancestry.

And also the below swords have a form of seima turbino swords. Interesting thing is two hats. the left one is like scythian's and the right one is like east scythian hair mode (american indian Mohawk hairstyle)

Greek-Persian_duel.jpg

Mohawk_hairstyle
Meanders are common decorative elements in Greek and Roman art. In ancient Greece they appear in many architectural friezes, and in bands on the pottery of ancient Greece from the Geometric Period onwards. The design is common to the present-day in classicizing architecture. The meander is a fundamental design motif in regions far from a Hellenic orbit: labyrinthine meanders ("thunder" pattern[3]) appear in bands and as infill on Shang bronzes, and many traditional buildings in and around China still bear geometric designs almost identical to meanders

where did the Greek patterns originate in?

shang in china bronze:

122959800_o.jpg

http://www.alaintruong.com/archives/2019/03/04/37149174.html

These new observations suggest that the distribution of metal spearheads from the Seima-Turbino Culture to northern China represents the diffusion and spread of the metallurgical technique. From the metallurgical perspective in particular, the bronze casting of spearheads indicates the origin of piece-mould casting and core-casting technology, which influenced the bronze vessel casting method in China. We therefore suggest that the early Chinese metallurgy of the Lower Xiajiadian Culture in the western Liao River area can be linked to the Seima-Turbino Culture; this technique had spread from the Altai Mountain area to northern China via the Taosi Culture. After spreading to the Lower Xiajiadian Culture, it finally arrived at the Qijia Culture of Qinghai and Gansu provinces in the west

DAnpkgSXkAAot9A.jpg

https://www.cambridge.org/core/jour...d-resistance/C8CFF543119597721F43956F2EDB4A28

How about this one?

I think greek bronze and china bronze really had same concept of sunhead culture, and Indra not difference at all. It means they had a same root.

%E5%A4%AA%E9%99%BD%E7%A5%9E%E9%B3%A5%E9%87%91%E7%AE%94.JPG
: maybe firebirds and 12 sun's rays (12 monnth?)

How many dreadlocks did one Greek royal have? 7 or 12?
StandingFormJinsha.jpg

https://www.bowers.org/index.php/vi...replica-of-tall-bronze-standing-figure-list-1

Artwall_in_Concourse_of_Jinsha_Site_Museum_Station01.jpg

00221917dead11228f551d.jpg

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2012-05/20/content_15339234.htm

Helios in his chariot
Ilion---metopa.jpg

Colossus of Rhodes, artist's impression, 1880
Colosse_de_Rhodes_%28Barclay%29.jpg

Is this a different concept?
Amfipoli%2C_Greece_-_panoramio_%288%29.jpg

MaskOfAgamemnon.jpg

This thread has been viewed 8516 times.

Back