Mutation for memory span extension and human thinking

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
https://psyarxiv.com/zdsya/

"Memory span in humans has been intensely studied for more than a century. In spite of the critical role of memory span in our cognitive system, which intensifies the importance of fundamental determinants of its evolution, few studies have investigated it by taking an evolutionary approach. Overall, we know hardly anything about the evolution of memory components. In the current study, I reviewed the experimental studies of memory span in humans and non-human animals and the evolutionary hypotheses."

The magic number seems to be seven.

That's why, I suppose they have those numerical number tests in non pen and paper IQ tests.

q6UcymQ.jpg
[/IMG]

Memory, as any neurological aptitude (IQ, even sensitiviness, or others) are just a product of the development of the neurological system in the first years of life (with genetics playing a major role). So those that get high IQ, could also have good memory, high sensitivity and all. There must be a good correlation that only will be incorrect if those tested are not focused or tired or so on (that is why sometimes people with high IQ can pass as "normal").

It would make sense, the right timing for human expansion - out of Africa, and outcompeting all other well established hominids around the world on brain power.

I might not do well on tests that ask you to memorize numbers bc I'd get too bored and lose focus immediately (what fun is memorizing a list of numbers?)

I might not do well on tests that ask you to memorize numbers bc I'd get too bored and lose focus immediately (what fun is memorizing a list of numbers?)

Think of Numbers as Dollar amounts you owe me, that will keep you Super-Focused :grin:

Seriously, think {Numbers = $} on memory tests and always.

Give it a shot :)

Thank you, Salento! Just a little background about myself that Im happy to share with you..

With ADD (I have real ADD, diagnosed by a psychiatrist who had it himself) if the task isn't
really interesting or stimulating, accomplishing it would be a feat. My grades varied in school where I was the dunce in one class and the genius in another class. And how's this for irony: I was fired from a part time dishwashing job after one, just ONE day (they said I wasn't cut out) and here I am now as sucessful software engineer with a great salary.

Im willing to bet that the ultimate symptom of ADD is low arousal so certain tasks are less important to the person with ADD and thus less brain power is devoted to that task. It's a frustrating disorder because you will receive criticism from others who don't understand how a person intelligent enough to do the task with ease is struggling with it. I go through this quite a bit. Luckily I'm taking medication to treat it and I'll admit it is over diagnosed (children who can focus on video games as opposed to homework do NOT have ADD...they are lazy and lack discipline).

Great turn of events Davef.
The ability to find balance without losing what make one unique as individuals is admirable, and so is the capability of thinking outside the box. (y)

This thread has been viewed 7558 times.

Back