Eurogenes Similarity rate with different ancient genomes

@ Angela.
Yes Angela. Poor women. What suffering to have to go through it in the name of a cultural standard of beauty and social status. It reminded me of the women giraffes of Thailand who lengthen their necks artificially, always periodically placing an extra ring between the rings that they wear their whole lives around their necks.
girafa_21.jpg

@ halfalp
Transcribe your results GEDmatch Eurogenes K36 using the follwing link, as said Jovialis in the reply above:
http://gen3553.pagesperso-orange.fr/ADN/ancient.htm

I don't know if the "lotus feet" of China was worse. Apparently, the pain was excruciating for years, and the feet often atrophied and rotted. Still, could the head deformation thing make them retarded?

What a choice! :(

Nice! It really is fascinating! They should re-make Troy starring us :grin:

From right near where some of my husband's ancestors come from: Bronzi di Riace.

af0c7ca812730fd6b28f735164e9ac4f.jpg

MUS8876-51-Greek-Riace-Bronzes-Statue.jpg

@ Angela.
Yes Angela. Poor women. What suffering to have to go through it in the name of a cultural standard of beauty and social status. It reminded me of the women giraffes of Thailand who lengthen their necks artificially, always periodically placing an extra ring between the rings that they wear their whole lives around their necks.
girafa_21.jpg

@ halfalp
Transcribe your results GEDmatch Eurogenes K36 using the follwing link, as said Jovialis in the reply above:
http://gen3553.pagesperso-orange.fr/ADN/ancient.htm
Im baffled that anyone would find a woman with the deformations found in those Bavarians attractive. I know everyone has their own standards but I think there's a limit. Also as Angela pointed out, the deformities might've impacted their intellectual capacity, which would've rendered them even less attractive

Nice. :)

But not sure he was from France or Spain. Maybe. However, his autosomal makeup resembles "modern" (!) North Spanish's and South French's. I'm not sure North Italians were the same those days, considering there were movements in Europe since 300 AD. We don't know either how people of Raeti stock looked like, for example, and apparently there were Raetian-speaking people in Northeastern Italy till ~3rd century AD. Raeti were related to Etruscans supposedly, and if that famous and controversial PCA is correct, Etruscans wouldn't be that different from modern Iberians.
etruscans.jpg

Indeed, the Roman Soldier belonged to Y haplogroup G-L42, typical of the Alps and surroundings. Switzerland, North Italy, SW Germany, Tyrol...
FN2 shares a common patrilineal ancestor from 500 BC with a Swedish, a German and a South Italian.
https://www.yfull.com/tree/G-Z40854/

I found this in blog comments and I think it's interesting.

How the PCA of the Etruscans can be interpreted compared to Raveane et al. 2018 preprint.

Etruscans seem North Italian-like and falling roughly into the NItaly clusters.

DNWHq3y.jpg

Im baffled that anyone would find a woman with the deformations found in those Bavarians attractive. I know everyone has their own standards but I think there's a limit. Also as Angela pointed out, the deformities might've impacted their intellectual capacity, which would've rendered them even less attractive

Hi davef,
I agree with you that, from the vision of the ideal of feminine beauty that we have today in the twenty-first century these women would look terribly ugly and probably retarded mentally. But we do not know much about the culture of these medieval Bavarians, other than the fact that the cranial deformation of women should done represented some kind of social differentiation for them, otherwise this practice would not make sense and the deformed skulls would not have been found. I remember now that some tabloid sites even went so far as to say that they were extra-terrestrial skulls. Well, I do not know this ancient culture and I can only repeat what the authors of the article I transcribed said:
”In some societies reshaping the human skull has been seen as an ideal of beauty, while it may also have acted as a marker of status, nobility, or affiliation to a certain class or group”.
Big hug :)

Hi davef,
I agree with you that, from the vision of the ideal of feminine beauty that we have today in the twenty-first century these women would look terribly ugly and probably retarded mentally. But we do not know much about the culture of these medieval Bavarians, other than the fact that the cranial deformation of women should done represented some kind of social differentiation for them, otherwise this practice would not make sense and the deformed skulls would not have been found. I remember now that some tabloid sites even went so far as to say that they were extra-terrestrial skulls. Well, I do not know this ancient culture and I can only repeat what the authors of the article I transcribed said:
”In some societies reshaping the human skull has been seen as an ideal of beauty, while it may also have acted as a marker of status, nobility, or affiliation to a certain class or group”.
Big hug :)
Thank you! Yes it may have been a status symbol of sorts but it's so mysterious how it became that way

Eurogenes V2 K15 Oracle
# Population (source) Distance
1 Central_Greek 4.94

Eurogenes V2 K15 Oracle-4
Using 1 population approximation:
1 Central_Greek @ 5.529039

Dodecad K12b Oracle
# Population (source) Distance
1 C_Italian (Dodecad) 6.78

Dodecad K12b Oracle-4
Using 1 population approximation:
1 C_Italian_Dodecad @ 7.297379

If there was a population from my specific area in these calculators, it would be the closest match. Pugliese are between Central Italy, Central Greece, and other Southern Italians. They're all pretty close to each other nonetheless.

Actually you can check at K36 genetic similarity map your similarity with puglia.

Dear friend Carlos.

It seems that the Roman soldier was really Iberian. See these two posts extracted from BLOG linked below:
http://eurogenes.blogspot.com/2018/03/first-real-foray-into-migration-period.html?m=1

POST 1:
---Germany_Roman:FN_2

[1] "1. CLOSEST SINGLE ITEM DISTANCE”
Spanish_Baleares / Spanish_Cataluna
2.403037 / 2.657032
Spanish_Murcia / Spanish_Cantabria
2.766374 / 2.908718
Spanish_Andalucia / Spanish_Castilla_La_Mancha
2.940393 / 3.080841
Hungary_BA / Spanish_Aragon
3.084510 / 3.128334

POST 2:
The Roman soldier was probably from Aquitaine in South France/North Spain. He clusters with modern Basque & south French.

300 AD Germany (Roman Soldier) FN2

GedMatch ID: Z061309

Actually you can check at K36 genetic similarity map your similarity with puglia.

Look at how the LACK of Data from Puglia and NO Abruzzo on the Map confuses “K36 genetic similarity”.
two Max 80 in Rome & Greek Islands.
Questionable Results imo.

It looks like it is using Geographic Coordinates in relation with its INCOMPLETE Genetic Data, I should be in Puglia, located in the middle of the 2 Reds.

dg9DFqc.jpg

on the mapping with K15 I end up in the middle of the Ocean. (I guess that’s where Atlantis used to be) lol

Last edited:
Look at how the LACK of Data from Puglia and NO Abruzzo on the Map confuses “K36 genetic similarity”.

It looks like it is using Geographic Coordinates in relation with its INCOMPLETE Genetic Data, I should be in Puglia, located in the middle of the 2 Reds.

dg9DFqc.jpg

on the mapping with K15 I end up in the middle of the Ocean. (I guess that’s where Atlantis used to be) lol
Yes, this tool isn't all that accurate but it's good fun and not something to take literally. You're more than 79 percent Apulian! Add 21 percent to get a more realistic score!

It's funny how most of you ethnic Italians seems to have more match with Neolithic Europe, Mediterranean Metal Ages and Mediterranea in general. While i have huge matches with something Bell Beaker ancestry. But on the K36, my biggest score of like 18.something is Italy. How's that translating in real hypothesis?

dg9DFqc.jpg

Did you use 23andme V5 raw data?

Yes, I was thinking that too. Perhaps he was from here:
Transalpine-Cisalpine-Gaul-and-Illyricum.jpg

At any rate, my similarity to him is 67%. My only higher one is that "Bavarian" woman from 500 AD. at 70%. Apparently, she was Southern European, but not of the particularly "eastern" variety. I don't know. Maybe northern Balkans like?
I guess so.

Mine are not that different from yours.

FTDNA & 23andMe v4

This thread has been viewed 52132 times.

Back