Similarity rate with different ancient genomes

Nice! It really is fascinating! They should re-make Troy starring us :grin:

Can I ask which Raw-Data you ran? I don’t remember what I used, if I have it, I’ll run it again.

Fwiw, the only data I have for my husband is 23andme. He has both Campanian ( Benevento) and Calabrian (province of Regio) ancestry.

I'm curious to see Sicilian results.

It was the one that combines 23andme, AncestryDNA, Geno 2.0, and LivingDNA.

Thanks, I have to make a new one. :)

also, :unsure: in the South of Puglia the colonists were Spartans, but most of them got massacred by the Messapi, and to a degree in Calabria too.

Fwiw, the only data I have for my husband is 23andme. He has both Campanian ( Benevento) and Calabrian (province of Regio) ancestry.

I want to emphasize this is for fun as far as I'm concerned, especially because the algorithm is based on Eurogenes calculators, which in my opinion are skewed toward Eastern and North Eastern Europeans.

It is V3 of 23andme I recall? I remembered it tested for over a million SNPs with that version. The combined version from the other raw data files I used also brings it to over a million SNPs too.

It is V3 of 23andme I recall? I remembered it tested for over a million SNPs with that version. The combined version from the other raw data files I used also brings it to over a million SNPs too.

That's right. I have both that and the newer one. Not a lot of difference, but some.

I trust the 23andme results.

Yes, I was thinking that too. Perhaps he was from here:
Transalpine-Cisalpine-Gaul-and-Illyricum.jpg

At any rate, my similarity to him is 67%. My only higher one is that "Bavarian" woman from 500 AD. at 70%. Apparently, she was Southern European, but not of the particularly "eastern" variety. I don't know. Maybe northern Balkans like?

@Jovialis,

I rechecked my husband's results, and he ties you for similarity to Myceneans: 76. It's for the second one, however. So ungrateful. His response was, "I hope it's not someone like that jerk Achilles or Agamemnon and his brother. Ulysees would be ok." :)

I know what he means, but they had a very advanced civilization, and dominated their era. I too could do without all that militarism and glory seeking, however.

He wants to be like Plato and Aristotle and Pericles, at any rate an Athenian, not a Spartan. Let's see if they're much different. :)

[FONT=&quot]Europe experienced a profound cultural transformation between Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages that laid the foundations of the modern political, social, and religious landscape. During this period, colloquially known as the “Migration Period,” the Roman Empire gradually dissolved, with 5th and 6th century historiographers and contemporary witnesses describing the formation and migration of numerous Germanic peoples, such as the Goths, Alamanni, Gepids, and Longobards. However, the genetic and social composition of groups involved and the exact nature of these “migrations” are unclear and have been a subject of substantial historical and archaeological debate (1).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the mid 6th century AD, the historiographer Jordanes and the poet and hagiographer Venantius Fortunatus provide the first mention of a group known as the Baiuvarii that resided in modern day Bavaria. It is likely that this group had already started to form in the 5th century AD, and that it emanated from a combination of the romanized local population of the border province of the former Roman Empire and immigrants from north of the Danube (2). While the Baiuvarii are less well known than some other contemporary groups, an interesting archaeological feature in Bavaria from this period is the presence of skeletons with artificially deformed or elongated skulls (Fig. 1A).
F1.medium.gif
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Artificial cranial deformation (ACD), which is only possible during early childhood, is a deliberate and permanent shaping of the head performed with great effort. In some societies reshaping the human skull has been seen as an ideal of beauty, while it may also have acted as a marker of status, nobility, or affiliation to a certain class or group.

[/FONT]
F2.large.jpg

[FONT=&quot]Fig. 2.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT][FONT=&quot]Procrustes-transformed PCA of ancient samples using pseudohaploid calls based on off-target reads using an imputed POPRES modern reference dataset. Blue, green, and red male or female symbols are ancient Bavarian individuals with normal, intermediate, and elongated skulls, respectively. Orange circles are Anglo-Saxon era individuals. Large circles are medians for regions, dots are individuals. CE, central Europe; EE, eastern Europe; NE, northern Europe; NEE, northeastern Europe; NEW, northwestern Europe; SE, southern Europe; SEE, southeast Europe; WE, western Europe. Percentage of variation explained by PCs 1 and 2 for modern populations only is 0.25% and 0.15%.

F3.large.jpg

Fig. 3.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Supervised model-based clustering ADMIXTURE analysis for ancient samples based on phased haplotypes for individual 1,000 bp loci from the 5-Mb neutralome. Analysis is based on the best of 100 runs for K = 8, but NC_EUR is the ancestry summed across 1000 Genomes CEU, 1000 Genomes GBR, and GoNL populations (i.e., it represents a northern/central European ancestry). Blue, green, and red male or female symbols are ancient Bavarian individuals with normal, intermediate, and elongated skulls, respectively.

A population assignment analysis (PAA) at the level of individual modern nation states suggested greatest genetic similarity of these normal-skulled individuals with modern Germans, consistent with their sampling location (Fig. 4 A and B and SI Appendix, Table S35). The only exceptions to this general pattern of northern/central European ancestry were the two women, STR_300 and STR_502, which were of a more southern ancestry associated with present day Greece and Turkey, respectively (SI Appendix, Fig. S29).

F4.large.jpg

Fig. 4.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Geographic distribution of population assignment analysis (PAA) results on pseudohaploid calls from off-target reads summed across individuals for (A) all Bavarian males, (B) all Bavarian females with normal skulls, (C) all Bavarian females
with elongated skulls, and (D) KER_1 and VIM_2.

A much more diverse ancestry was observed among the females with elongated skulls, as demonstrated by a significantly greater group-based FIS (SI Appendix, Fig. S35). All these females had varying amounts of genetic ancestry found today predominantly in southern European countries [as seen by the varying amounts of ancestry inferred by model-based clustering that is representative of a sample from modern Tuscany, Italy (TSI), Fig. 3], and while the majority of samples were found to be closest to modern southeastern Europeans (Bulgaria and Romania, Fig. 4C), at least one individual, AED_1108, appeared to possess ∼20% East Asian ancestry (Fig. 3), which was also evident from the high number of haplotypes within the 5-Mb neutralome that were private to modern East Asian 1000 Genomes individuals (EAS), while also demonstrating an overall ancestry profile consistent with Central Asian populations (SI Appendix, Fig. S33). No modern European individual from the Simons Genome Diversity Panel (SGDP) (11) showed any evidence of significant East Asian ancestry except one Hungarian individual with less than 5%. A higher amount of East Asian ancestry was inferred for AED_1108 than all modern Caucasus and Middle Eastern individuals, and 28 of 33 South Asian individuals.

See full article in the link below:
https://www.pnas.org/content/115/13/3494
[/FONT]

Europe experienced a profound cultural transformation between Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages that laid the foundations of the modern political, social, and religious landscape. During this period, colloquially known as the “Migration Period,” the Roman Empire gradually dissolved, with 5th and 6th century historiographers and contemporary witnesses describing the formation and migration of numerous Germanic peoples, such as the Goths, Alamanni, Gepids, and Longobards. However, the genetic and social composition of groups involved and the exact nature of these “migrations” are unclear and have been a subject of substantial historical and archaeological debate (1).
In the mid 6th century AD, the historiographer Jordanes and the poet and hagiographer Venantius Fortunatus provide the first mention of a group known as the Baiuvarii that resided in modern day Bavaria. It is likely that this group had already started to form in the 5th century AD, and that it emanated from a combination of the romanized local population of the border province of the former Roman Empire and immigrants from north of the Danube (2). While the Baiuvarii are less well known than some other contemporary groups, an interesting archaeological feature in Bavaria from this period is the presence of skeletons with artificially deformed or elongated skulls (Fig. 1A).
F1.medium.gif

Artificial cranial deformation (ACD), which is only possible during early childhood, is a deliberate and permanent shaping of the head performed with great effort. In some societies reshaping the human skull has been seen as an ideal of beauty, while it may also have acted as a marker of status, nobility, or affiliation to a certain class or group.

F2.large.jpg

Fig. 2.Procrustes-transformed PCA of ancient samples using pseudohaploid calls based on off-target reads using an imputed POPRES modern reference dataset. Blue, green, and red male or female symbols are ancient Bavarian individuals with normal, intermediate, and elongated skulls, respectively. Orange circles are Anglo-Saxon era individuals. Large circles are medians for regions, dots are individuals. CE, central Europe; EE, eastern Europe; NE, northern Europe; NEE, northeastern Europe; NEW, northwestern Europe; SE, southern Europe; SEE, southeast Europe; WE, western Europe. Percentage of variation explained by PCs 1 and 2 for modern populations only is 0.25% and 0.15%.

F3.large.jpg

Fig. 3.

Supervised model-based clustering ADMIXTURE analysis for ancient samples based on phased haplotypes for individual 1,000 bp loci from the 5-Mb neutralome. Analysis is based on the best of 100 runs for K = 8, but NC_EUR is the ancestry summed across 1000 Genomes CEU, 1000 Genomes GBR, and GoNL populations (i.e., it represents a northern/central European ancestry). Blue, green, and red male or female symbols are ancient Bavarian individuals with normal, intermediate, and elongated skulls, respectively.

A population assignment analysis (PAA) at the level of individual modern nation states suggested greatest genetic similarity of these normal-skulled individuals with modern Germans, consistent with their sampling location (Fig. 4 A and B and SI Appendix, Table S35). The only exceptions to this general pattern of northern/central European ancestry were the two women, STR_300 and STR_502, which were of a more southern ancestry associated with present day Greece and Turkey, respectively (SI Appendix, Fig. S29).

F4.large.jpg

Fig. 4.

Geographic distribution of population assignment analysis (PAA) results on pseudohaploid calls from off-target reads summed across individuals for (A) all Bavarian males, (B) all Bavarian females with normal skulls, (C) all Bavarian females
with elongated skulls, and (D) KER_1 and VIM_2.

A much more diverse ancestry was observed among the females with elongated skulls, as demonstrated by a significantly greater group-based FIS (SI Appendix, Fig. S35). All these females had varying amounts of genetic ancestry found today predominantly in southern European countries [as seen by the varying amounts of ancestry inferred by model-based clustering that is representative of a sample from modern Tuscany, Italy (TSI), Fig. 3], and while the majority of samples were found to be closest to modern southeastern Europeans (Bulgaria and Romania, Fig. 4C), at least one individual, AED_1108, appeared to possess ∼20% East Asian ancestry (Fig. 3), which was also evident from the high number of haplotypes within the 5-Mb neutralome that were private to modern East Asian 1000 Genomes individuals (EAS), while also demonstrating an overall ancestry profile consistent with Central Asian populations (SI Appendix, Fig. S33). No modern European individual from the Simons Genome Diversity Panel (SGDP) (11) showed any evidence of significant East Asian ancestry except one Hungarian individual with less than 5%. A higher amount of East Asian ancestry was inferred for AED_1108 than all modern Caucasus and Middle Eastern individuals, and 28 of 33 South Asian individuals.

See full article in the link below:
https://www.pnas.org/content/115/13/3494

Thanks so much, Duarte. :) I kept meaning to look it up but didn't get to it.

My 70 sample is the NW sample. Seems about 2/3 IBS Iberian and 1/3 Tuscan in make up. Makes sense. In real life add about 20 points more of Tuscan and you get me. :)

Actually, in calculators where there are no northern Italian or Tuscan samples I come out Bulgarian. :)

Poor women. What torture.

Where is this feature coming from? Gedmatch or something else?

That's right. I have both that and the newer one. Not a lot of difference, but some.

I trust the 23andme results.

DEyHRJt.png

Indeed,

These are the results from my V 5 23andme Raw data. The difference is nearly indistinguishable from the combined raw data result.

Thanks Jovialis!

I do i upload the results from Imgur to Eupedia? ( i'm new into all this... ) And alternatively, how can i keep the dimensions of the original picture instead of minimize?

@ Angela.
Yes Angela. Poor women. What suffering to have to go through it in the name of a cultural standard of beauty and social status. It reminded me of the women giraffes of Thailand who lengthen their necks artificially, always periodically placing an extra ring between the rings that they wear their whole lives around their necks.
girafa_21.jpg

@ halfalp
Transcribe your results GEDmatch Eurogenes K36 using the follwing link, as said Jovialis in the reply above:
http://gen3553.pagesperso-orange.fr/ADN/ancient.htm

Thanks Jovialis!

I do i upload the results from Imgur to Eupedia? ( i'm new into all this... )

You're welcome,

I'd say that Imgur is ideal, because sometimes uploaded attachments do not function properly. You would need to upload the image on to your Imgur account, and copy and paste the BCCode text for the image into the body of your post.

Last edited:
Thanks Jovialis!

I do i upload the results from Imgur to Eupedia? ( i'm new into all this... ) And alternatively, how can i keep the dimensions of the original picture instead of minimize?

Yes. After displaying the results you have to make one (or more than one) screenshot and send the images saved on your Pc or Tablet to Imgur and get an image link for later publication in the Eupedia forum.
Note: Uncheck the "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" option that appear automatically selected in the Eupedia image window :)

What i deduce from my results is that i look high in CHG ancestry no? Btw, thanks for the hands up Duarte and Jovialis. :)

Note: That's weird how much El Miron i have, more than Duarte and Carlos wich are Iberians.

This thread has been viewed 51931 times.

Back