Similarity rate with different ancient genomes

mPRwQ7x.png

I show the strongest affinity to the Mycenaean I9006, followed by Tepecik 002, and Mycenaean I9041. Supporting my point here:

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threa...-West-Mediterranean/page3?p=571065#post571065

Last edited:
I assume you are Greek. Which part of Greece are you from?

I'm not Greek, my family is from the region of Bari. Though southern Italy was influenced by Greek settlement. At any rate, in the linked thread, I pointed out that the proposed ABA expansion into Southern Italy was very similar to that of the Mycenaean samples, as the K20 ADMIXTURE analysis chart shows. Not that the ABA in the early to middle bronze age were Mycenaean; I think the chart shows they were similar to each other genetically nonetheless.

Note: I've merged some posts from another thread, about this calculator, into Carlos' thread.

Last edited:
pM5YU0c.png

h8gj7GR.png

Clearly southern European, but after that a bit all over the place.

This is the real surprise.
70-500 AD 54 NW Bavaria, one of the skull deformation women. That’s the one that isn’t quite in the “eastern” group of the “southern European” cluster of women, right, so maybe not as “Balkan”?
67-Roman soldier maybe from Iberia?
65 for the Bavarian STR 310, which is “Southern European”, no skull deformation and 62 for Bavarian 300 Greece or Turkey.
65 also for Mycenaean.
Maybe I should get honorary ancient Greek citizenship? Should I change allegiance? I was always for the Trojans. ������ Iberian one is maybe closer though.

62 LBK
62 Boncuklu
62 Another Mycenaean
61 Hungary Neolithic 1
61 Maros
60 Hungary Bronze Age 2
60 Germany Bell Beaker
60 Crimea Ostrogoth (That's an odd one.)
58 Northwestern European gladiator
56 Tepecik
55 NW Turkey 3850 BC
54 Portugal Torre Vehla
52 Remedello (This relatively low score surprises me. Why don't they have Oetzi?)

Highest “Northern” scores
41 Denmark
40 Poland
Why don’t they have the Langobards?

I guess it makes sense that the relatively "late" southern Europeans from 500 AD are the best match for me. Also, this seems generally correct for a Central Southern Europe: midway between Iberians and Greeks.

@Jovialis,
You're still King.
My husband is only 67 for Mycenaean. :)

Last edited:
Intuitively, some of these comparative results look so weird. I mean, less similarity with Minoans from the BA Aegean (18) than with Paleolithic Ust' Ishim, who barely contributed anything to the modern European population? Ust'Ishim looks much closer than Mal'ta (3), which is demonstrably connected to the ANE that does exist in most modern Europeans via the steppe ancestry. There are other strange results like that. Or are each of these groups (e.g. Paleolithic before glaciation, Northwestern Europe, etc.) to be judged on their own, that is, their results would not be comparable with those included in another group, only with those under the same label?
Yeah that took me by surprise.

To anyone: what does it even do? Does it compare calculator results with these samples and from there tries to predict your ancestry based on them like those gedmatch oracles?

I'm not Greek, my family is from the region of Bari. Though southern Italy was influenced by Greek settlement. At any rate, in the linked thread, I pointed out that the proposed ABA expansion into Southern Italy was very similar to that of the Mycenaean samples, as the K20 ADMIXTURE analysis chart shows. Not that the ABA in the early to middle bronze age were Mycenaean; I think the chart shows they were similar to each other genetically nonetheless.

Note: I've merged some posts from another thread, about this calculator, into Carlos' thread.

Yes, it makes sense! These Myceneans were close to South Italy. I am closer to Abruzzo genetically and I have only 65-66% genetic similarity with them. I have 72% with the medieval Greek str 300 sample. I would be interested to see your gedmatch results. Could you post eurogenes k15 and dodecad k12b?

Yeah that took me by surprise.

To anyone: what does it even do? Does it compare calculator results with these samples and from there tries to predict your ancestry based on them like those gedmatch oracles?

I found out earlier that it uses your eurogenes "k36" results so it's a magic 8 ball. And I'm sure south Italians are in reality significantly more than 67 percent Mycenaean like so this calculator underestimates that affinity quite a bit

I found out earlier that it uses your eurogenes "k36" results so it's a magic 8 ball. And I'm sure south Italians are in reality significantly more than 67 percent Mycenaean like so this calculator underestimates that affinity quite a bit
These are general indicators and are fun to play around.
Hopefully, as time goes on, and new data is collected, imputation will improve.

check this one out:
my genes leaving a mark :)

Era of Empires (about 1700 to 2000 years ago)
xspJdzj.jpg

1700 years ago (Roman Era)

1zlhxDZ.jpg

These are general indicators and are fun to play around.
Hopefully, as time goes on, and new data is collected, imputation will improve.

check this one out:
my genes leaving a mark :)

Era of Empires (about 1700 to 2000 years ago)
xspJdzj.jpg

1700 years ago (Roman Era)

1zlhxDZ.jpg

Hi Salento.
From 1700 years ago I believe that both of us must have many skeletons of cousins in common. His cousins invaded the Iberian peninsula. What evil!!!! LOL. Some skeletons of our cousins have already been found, others are still waiting to be found. I hope none of them will be like Mumm-Ra of ThunderCats and will say: Ancient spirits of evil. Transform that decadent form into Mumm-Ra. Remember: The ancient spirits of evil often provide to Mumm-Ra with a source of knowledge of ancient or magical events. I hava afraid of the voodoo of these ancient mummies and skeletons. LOL.
There is a superstition involving Ötzi. According to the belief, there is believed to be a curse around the quinque-milenar mummy who would be angry with people who disturbed her in her rest. So far 7 of the people who came in contact with the frozen corpse had strange accidents that resulted in death. Among them are scientists who studied the body and the discoverer of Ötzi, Helmut Simon, who died ironically in a strong snowstorm and died in the same position as Õtzi, while walking through Austria in a region 100 km from the original site. OMG!!!!

Do not be afraid of the Dead, be afraid of the Living.

yep :) LOL

Yes, it makes sense! These Myceneans were close to South Italy. I am closer to Abruzzo genetically and I have only 65-66% genetic similarity with them. I have 72% with the medieval Greek str 300 sample. I would be interested to see your gedmatch results. Could you post eurogenes k15 and dodecad k12b?

Eurogenes V2 K15 Oracle
# Population (source) Distance
1 Central_Greek 4.94

Eurogenes V2 K15 Oracle-4
Using 1 population approximation:
1 Central_Greek @ 5.529039

Dodecad K12b Oracle
1 C_Italian (Dodecad) 6.78

Dodecad K12b Oracle-4
1 C_Italian_Dodecad @ 7.297379

If there was a population from my specific area in these calculators, it would be the closest match. Pugliese are between Central Italy, Central Greece, and other Southern Italians. They're all pretty close to each other nonetheless.

Eurogenes V2 K15 Oracle
1 Central_Greek 4.94

Dodecad K12b Oracle

Dodecad K12b Oracle-4

If there was a population from my specific area in these calculators, it would be the closest match. Pugliese are between Central Italy, Central Greece, and other Southern Italians. They're all pretty close to each other nonetheless.

We are close. I have similar distances from those populations and in general Greek and south-central/south Italian populations. Our difference must be that I have 10.5 and 12.5 distance from Bulgaria on these calculators while you must have over 15.

Eurogenes V2 K15 Oracle
1 Central_Greek 4.94
Dodecad K12b Oracle
Dodecad K12b Oracle-4

Some of these calculators have no idea who we are.

Eur. V2 K15, 3 RawData, 3 different Top populations.
23, Anc, ...

fMp7kkb.gif

Last edited:
Dear friend Carlos.
It seems that the Roman soldier was really Iberian. See these two posts extracted from BLOG linked below:
http://eurogenes.blogspot.com/2018/03/first-real-foray-into-migration-period.html?m=1
POST 1:
---Germany_Roman:FN_2
[1] "1. CLOSEST SINGLE ITEM DISTANCE”
Spanish_Baleares / Spanish_Cataluna
2.403037 / 2.657032
Spanish_Murcia / Spanish_Cantabria
2.766374 / 2.908718
Spanish_Andalucia / Spanish_Castilla_La_Mancha
2.940393 / 3.080841
Hungary_BA / Spanish_Aragon
3.084510 / 3.128334

POST 2:
The Roman soldier was probably from Aquitaine in South France/North Spain. He clusters with modern Basque & south French.
Nice. :)

But not sure he was from France or Spain. Maybe. However, his autosomal makeup resembles "modern" (!) North Spanish's and South French's. I'm not sure North Italians were the same those days, considering there were movements in Europe since 300 AD. We don't know either how people of Raeti stock looked like, for example, and apparently there were Raetian-speaking people in Northeastern Italy till ~3rd century AD. Raeti were related to Etruscans supposedly, and if that famous and controversial PCA is correct, Etruscans wouldn't be that different from modern Iberians.
etruscans.jpg

Indeed, the Roman Soldier belonged to Y haplogroup G-L42, typical of the Alps and surroundings. Switzerland, North Italy, SW Germany, Tyrol...
FN2 shares a common patrilineal ancestor from 500 BC with a Swedish, a German and a South Italian.
https://www.yfull.com/tree/G-Z40854/

Last edited:
Nice. :)

But not sure he was from French or Spain. Maybe. However, his autosomal makeup resembles "modern" (!) North Spanish's and South French's. I'm not sure North Italians were the same those days, since there were movements in Europe since 300 AD. We don't know either how people of Raeti stock looked like, for example, and apparently there were Raetian-speaking people in Northeastern Italy till ~3rd century AD. Raeti were related to Etruscans supposedly, and if that famous and controversial PCA is correct, Etruscans wouldn't be that different from modern Iberians.
etruscans.jpg

Indeed, the Roman Soldier belonged to Y haplogroup G-L42, typical from the Alps and surroundings. Switzerland, North Italy, SW Germany, Tyrol... FN2 shares a common ancestor from 500 BC with a Swedish, a German and a South Italian.
https://www.yfull.com/tree/G-Z40854/

Yes, I was thinking that too. Perhaps he was from here:
Transalpine-Cisalpine-Gaul-and-Illyricum.jpg

At any rate, my similarity to him is 67%. My only higher one is that "Bavarian" woman from 500 AD. at 70%. Apparently, she was Southern European, but not of the particularly "eastern" variety. I don't know. Maybe northern Balkans like?

@Jovialis,

I rechecked my husband's results, and he ties you for similarity to Myceneans: 76. It's for the second one, however. So ungrateful. His response was, "I hope it's not someone like that jerk Achilles or Agamemnon and his brother. Ulysees would be ok." :)

I know what he means, but they had a very advanced civilization, and dominated their era. I too could do without all that militarism and glory seeking, however.

He wants to be like Plato and Aristotle and Pericles, at any rate an Athenian, not a Spartan. Let's see if they're much different. :)

Yes, I was thinking that too. Perhaps he was from here:
Transalpine-Cisalpine-Gaul-and-Illyricum.jpg

At any rate, my similarity to him is 67%. My only higher one is that "Bavarian" woman from 500 AD. at 70%. Apparently, she was Southern European, but not of the particularly "eastern" variety. I don't know. Maybe northern Balkans like?

@Jovialis,

I rechecked my husband's results, and he ties you for similarity to Myceneans: 76. It's for the second one, however. So ungrateful. His response was, "I hope it's not someone like that jerk Achilles or Agamemnon and his brother. Ulysees would be ok." :) I sort of agree.

He wants to be like Plato and Aristotle and Pericles. Let's see if they're much different. :)

Nice! It really is fascinating! They should re-make Troy starring us :grin:

This thread has been viewed 51932 times.

Back