Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Tea, coffee and chocolate: which is better for health?

  1. #1
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,720
    Points
    707,995
    Level
    100
    Points: 707,995, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    4 members found this post helpful.

    Post Tea, coffee and chocolate: which is better for health?



    I long wondered about which of these three caffeine-rich substances conferred the most health benefits, so I did a little research.

    Coffee

    Coffee is rich in antioxidants, notably:

    - chlorogenic acid : known to slightly reduce blood pressure
    - cafestol : found especially in unfiltered coffee, it has anticarcinogenic properties and neuroprotective effects
    - kahweol : has anti-inflammatory and anti-angiogenic effects
    - niacin (vitamin B3) : lowers bad cholesterol
    - tocopherols : a form of vitamin E
    - trigonelline : an alkaloid which has been found to lower the risk of diabetes and central nervous system disease, among others.

    According to the scientific studies and meta-analyses mentioned in Wikipedia's section about coffee's health benefits, it is been found that:

    - Coffee consumption (4 cups/day) reduced risk of death by all disease causes.

    - Coffee drinkers who had 3 cups/day were found to have a 21% lower risk of cardiovascular disease than non drinkers.

    - Long-term coffee consumption is associated with a lower risk of Parkinson's disease.

    - Every cup of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee consumed per day is associated, respectively, with a 9% and 6% lower risk of type 2 diabetes.

    A review by the Harvard Medical School also mentions that coffee:

    - is protective effects against Alzheimer's disease.

    - lowers the risk for some cancers (endometrial, aggressive prostate, estrogen-negative breast), but not others (esophageal).

    - is associated with lower levels of enzymes that indicate liver damage and inflammation and may confer protection against liver cancer.

    - moderate consumption (3–4 cups a day) is associated with lower risk of stroke.

    Tea

    Tea is rich in phenols and polyphenols, including:

    - catechins
    - theaflavins
    - tannins
    - flavonoids.

    Green tea contains additionally:

    - epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG)
    - epigallocatechin
    - epicatechin gallate
    - epicatechin
    - kaempferol
    - quercetin
    - myricitin

    Among health benefits, tea could:

    - reduce the risk of stroke

    - reduce LDL cholesterol

    Green tea could also:

    - prevent the growth of bladder, breast, lung, stomach, pancreatic, and colorectal cancers

    - reduce risk of neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases


    There are many other alleged benefits, but not necessarily proven.


    Cocoa

    The health benefits of chocolate derive from cocoa, and the higher the cocoa content, the better it is for health (so choose preferably very dark chocolates, ideally with over 80% cocoa, for regular consumption).

    Cocoa is rich in flavonoids and alkaloids, such as theobromine and phenethylamine. A study by Cheng et al. (2009) found that flavonoid levels are twice higher in dark chocolate than in milk chocolate, and four times higher than in milk chocolate. Theobromine is 6x higher in dark than milk chocolate and is completely absent from white chocolate. This study analysed common supermarket types of dark chocolate, so its cocoa content may only be around 60%, unlike very dark chocolate.

    Another study found that cocoa and dark chocolate contain more antioxidants (polyphenols and flavanols) than any other fruits tested, which included blueberries and acai berries.

    Chocolate is also very rich in magnesium, iron, copper and manganese and also contains potassium, phosphorus, zinc and selenium.

    The health benefits of cacao include:

    - raise HDL cholesterol and lowers LDL cholesterol

    - reduce the risk of heart disease (by 50% for regular consumers according to Buijsse et al. 2006 and by 57% for Djoussé et al. 2011)

    - consumption is inversely associated with calcified atherosclerotic plaque (Djoussé et al. 2010)

    - flavonols protect against sun damage, improve blood flow to the skin and increase skin density and hydration (Heinrich et al. 2006)

    - flavanols in chocolate increase blood flow to the brain (Francis et al. 2006) and improve cognitive functions (Desideri et al. 2012)

    Caffeine

    Tea, coffee and cocoa are all relatively rich in caffeine, which is great if you want to wake up and increase your concentration. On the down side, caffeine consumption has been associated with anxiety. Some people do suffer from caffeine-induced anxiety disorder. People most impacted by caffeine consumption are adolescents and those already suffering anxiety disorders.

    Here is a comparison of the caffeine content per drink.

    - Coffee : 100-200 mg per cup
    - Matcha tea : 60-80 mg per cup
    - Black tea : 40-80 mg per cup
    - Oolong tea: 30-45 mg per cup
    - Green tea : 15-35 mg per cup
    - White tea : 10-15 mg per cup
    - Decaffeinated coffee : 5-10 mg per cup
    - Hot chocolate : 5 mg per cup

    As for chocolate bars:

    - 85% dark chocolate : 150-175 mg per 100g
    - 70% dark chocolate : 125-150 mg per 100g
    - 60% dark chocolate : 100-125 mg per 100g
    - milk chocolate : 20 mg per 100g
    - white chocolate : 0 mg
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

  2. #2
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    15,826
    Points
    309,038
    Level
    100
    Points: 309,038, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Maciamo View Post
    I long wondered about which of these three caffeine-rich substances conferred the most health benefits, so I did a little research.

    Coffee

    Coffee is rich in antioxidants, notably:

    - chlorogenic acid : known to slightly reduce blood pressure
    - cafestol : found especially in unfiltered coffee, it has anticarcinogenic properties and neuroprotective effects
    - kahweol : has anti-inflammatory and anti-angiogenic effects
    - niacin (vitamin B3) : lowers bad cholesterol
    - tocopherols : a form of vitamin E
    - trigonelline : an alkaloid which has been found to lower the risk of diabetes and central nervous system disease, among others.

    According to the scientific studies and meta-analyses mentioned in Wikipedia's section about coffee's health benefits, it is been found that:

    - Coffee consumption (4 cups/day) reduced risk of death by all disease causes.

    - Coffee drinkers who had 3 cups/day were found to have a 21% lower risk of cardiovascular disease than non drinkers.

    - Long-term coffee consumption is associated with a lower risk of Parkinson's disease.

    - Every cup of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee consumed per day is associated, respectively, with a 9% and 6% lower risk of type 2 diabetes.

    A review by the Harvard Medical School also mentions that coffee:

    - is protective effects against Alzheimer's disease.

    - lowers the risk for some cancers (endometrial, aggressive prostate, estrogen-negative breast), but not others (esophageal).

    - is associated with lower levels of enzymes that indicate liver damage and inflammation and may confer protection against liver cancer.

    - moderate consumption (3–4 cups a day) is associated with lower risk of stroke.

    Tea

    Tea is rich in phenols and polyphenols, including:

    - catechins
    - theaflavins
    - tannins
    - flavonoids.

    Green tea contains additionally:

    - epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG)
    - epigallocatechin
    - epicatechin gallate
    - epicatechin
    - kaempferol
    - quercetin
    - myricitin

    Among health benefits, tea could:

    - reduce the risk of stroke

    - reduce LDL cholesterol

    Green tea could also:

    - prevent the growth of bladder, breast, lung, stomach, pancreatic, and colorectal cancers

    - reduce risk of neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases


    There are many other alleged benefits, but not necessarily proven.


    Cocoa

    The health benefits of chocolate derive from cocoa, and the higher the cocoa content, the better it is for health (so choose preferably very dark chocolates, ideally with over 80% cocoa, for regular consumption).

    Cocoa is rich in flavonoids and alkaloids, such as theobromine and phenethylamine. A study by Cheng et al. (2009) found that flavonoid levels are twice higher in dark chocolate than in milk chocolate, and four times higher than in milk chocolate. Theobromine is 6x higher in dark than milk chocolate and is completely absent from white chocolate. This study analysed common supermarket types of dark chocolate, so its cocoa content may only be around 60%, unlike very dark chocolate.

    Another study found that cocoa and dark chocolate contain more antioxidants (polyphenols and flavanols) than any other fruits tested, which included blueberries and acai berries.

    Chocolate is also very rich in magnesium, iron, copper and manganese and also contains potassium, phosphorus, zinc and selenium.

    The health benefits of cacao include:

    - raise HDL cholesterol and lowers LDL cholesterol

    - reduce the risk of heart disease (by 50% for regular consumers according to Buijsse et al. 2006 and by 57% for Djoussé et al. 2011)

    - consumption is inversely associated with calcified atherosclerotic plaque (Djoussé et al. 2010)

    - flavonols protect against sun damage, improve blood flow to the skin and increase skin density and hydration (Heinrich et al. 2006)

    - flavanols in chocolate increase blood flow to the brain (Francis et al. 2006) and improve cognitive functions (Desideri et al. 2012)

    Caffeine

    Tea, coffee and cocoa are all relatively rich in caffeine, which is great if you want to wake up and increase your concentration. On the down side, caffeine consumption has been associated with anxiety. Some people do suffer from caffeine-induced anxiety disorder. People most impacted by caffeine consumption are adolescents and those already suffering anxiety disorders.

    Here is a comparison of the caffeine content per drink.

    - Coffee : 100-200 mg per cup
    - Matcha tea : 60-80 mg per cup
    - Black tea : 40-80 mg per cup
    - Oolong tea: 30-45 mg per cup
    - Green tea : 15-35 mg per cup
    - White tea : 10-15 mg per cup
    - Decaffeinated coffee : 5-10 mg per cup
    - Hot chocolate : 5 mg per cup

    As for chocolate bars:

    - 85% dark chocolate : 150-175 mg per 100g
    - 70% dark chocolate : 125-150 mg per 100g
    - 60% dark chocolate : 100-125 mg per 100g
    - milk chocolate : 20 mg per 100g
    - white chocolate : 0 mg
    Thanks, Maciamo. That's excellent information.

    I guess I should up my coffee consumptions. The caffeine from four cups would be too much for me, but luckily it seems the decaffeinated variety is just as good for you. Same for tea.

    Wish I liked dark chocolate but it's just too bitter for me, so that I'll have to skip.


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  3. #3
    Regular Member Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends25000 Experience Points
    Sile's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-09-11
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,119
    Points
    29,699
    Level
    52
    Points: 29,699, Level: 52
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 37.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

    Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian
    Country: Australia



    chocolate is the worst of the 3 noted above
    if you have 80% plus chocolate it is good for ones body, if the percentage is less, it causes cellulite and other bodily fats
    có che un pòpoło no 'l defende pi ła só łéngua el xe prónto par èser s'ciavo

    when a people no longer dares to defend its language it is ripe for slavery.

  4. #4
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Maciamo's Avatar
    Join Date
    17-07-02
    Location
    Lothier
    Posts
    8,720
    Points
    707,995
    Level
    100
    Points: 707,995, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%


    Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic
    Country: Belgium - Brussels



    Quote Originally Posted by Sile View Post
    chocolate is the worst of the 3 noted above
    if you have 80% plus chocolate it is good for ones body, if the percentage is less, it causes cellulite and other bodily fats
    I eat 85% or 90% chocolate and I am fine with it.

  5. #5
    Banned Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsThree Friends

    Join Date
    21-11-10
    Posts
    459
    Points
    4,857
    Level
    20
    Points: 4,857, Level: 20
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 20.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>CTS9320>Z38456

    Ethnic group
    Albanian
    Country: Switzerland



    1 members found this post helpful.
    The health benefits of any single food are highly exaggerated yet they create hype among people. It's rather large and consistent amounts or 100 different foods over a long period that will start to have an effect on you.

    With coffee we also have to consider adrenal fatigue and it's wise to cycle it, yet it might get difficult due to its withdrawal symptoms such as headache.

    Chocolate on the other hand is very rich in Magnesium, definitely the most underestimated and unknown mineral of our body which I would even call a Super Mineral. Unfortunately we can't even get half of the daily requirement of Magnesium due to the impoverished soil and pesticides so supplementation is the way to go. Once you start your sleep will immediately improve as well as your toilet trips. ;)

    P.s. I always used coffee as a pre-workout for boosting strength and energy and matcha green tea for its antioxidant properties. But other than that I would advise sticking to decaf and don't take it as soon as you wake up but rather between your breakfast and lunch (11am for example) as insulin is at its peak during early morning, around lunch time, and dinner time, so avoid having caffeine and insulin clash together and build up resistance to it.

  6. #6
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    15,826
    Points
    309,038
    Level
    100
    Points: 309,038, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    The health benefits of any single food are highly exaggerated yet they create hype among people. It's rather large and consistent amounts or 100 different foods over a long period that will start to have an effect on you.

    With coffee we also have to consider adrenal fatigue and it's wise to cycle it, yet it might get difficult due to its withdrawal symptoms such as headache.

    Chocolate on the other hand is very rich in Magnesium, definitely the most underestimated and unknown mineral of our body which I would even call a Super Mineral. Unfortunately we can't even get half of the daily requirement of Magnesium due to the impoverished soil and pesticides so supplementation is the way to go. Once you start your sleep will immediately improve as well as your toilet trips. ;)

    P.s. I always used coffee as a pre-workout for boosting strength and energy and matcha green tea for its antioxidant properties. But other than that I would advise sticking to decaf and don't take it as soon as you wake up but rather between your breakfast and lunch (11am for example) as insulin is at its peak during early morning, around lunch time, and dinner time, so avoid having caffeine and insulin clash together and build up resistance to it.
    Very good information. Thanks.

    I literally can't function in the morning without caffeine, but I do take that morning cup of coffee without food as I'm never hungry when I first wake up. Maybe an hour later I might have fruit or oatmeal or toast or something, but that's it.

    I stick to decaf coffee for the rest of the day, although sometimes I have a "pick me up" tea during the afternoon doldrums. That's it for caffeine though, as I'm hyper sensitive to it and too much makes me anxious.

    Interesting about the magnesium. I hate dark chocolate, however. Any other high magnesium foods you recommend?

  7. #7
    Banned Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience PointsThree Friends

    Join Date
    21-11-10
    Posts
    459
    Points
    4,857
    Level
    20
    Points: 4,857, Level: 20
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 20.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>CTS9320>Z38456

    Ethnic group
    Albanian
    Country: Switzerland



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    Very good information. Thanks.

    I literally can't function in the morning without caffeine, but I do take that morning cup of coffee without food as I'm never hungry when I first wake up. Maybe an hour later I might have fruit or oatmeal or toast or something, but that's it.

    I stick to decaf coffee for the rest of the day, although sometimes I have a "pick me up" tea during the afternoon doldrums. That's it for caffeine though, as I'm hyper sensitive to it and too much makes me anxious.

    Interesting about the magnesium. I hate dark chocolate, however. Any other high magnesium foods you recommend?
    Coffee indeed helps most of us in the morning and I don't disagree with that but I'd like you to experiment with something and see the results yourself.

    Any food or beverage that has stimulant properties will help you in the morning just like coffee. Part of it is the placebo effect because you will feel better even if you drink sodas but obviously you don't want to do that.

    This fits perfectly as a suggestion since you asked for ways to boost magnesium.

    Try starting the day with a spinach, kale, green apple, banana, and turmeric powder instead and take coffee later in the day. This smoothie will give you 1500mg (out of the daily recommended 4700mg) of potassium and a bit more than 150mg (out of 400mg) of magnesium.

    But like I said together with potassium its almost impossible to hit the daily recommendation of these 2 extremely important minerals so a Magnesium Glycinate supplement is a must. As for potassium, I drink a mixture of 2 table spoons of Cream of Tartar (potassium) and 1 table spoon of bovine gelatin powder (pure collagen for tissue repairing and skin).

  8. #8
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    15,826
    Points
    309,038
    Level
    100
    Points: 309,038, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik View Post
    Coffee indeed helps most of us in the morning and I don't disagree with that but I'd like you to experiment with something and see the results yourself.

    Any food or beverage that has stimulant properties will help you in the morning just like coffee. Part of it is the placebo effect because you will feel better even if you drink sodas but obviously you don't want to do that.

    This fits perfectly as a suggestion since you asked for ways to boost magnesium.

    Try starting the day with a spinach, kale, green apple, banana, and turmeric powder instead and take coffee later in the day. This smoothie will give you 1500mg (out of the daily recommended 4700mg) of potassium and a bit more than 150mg (out of 400mg) of magnesium.

    But like I said together with potassium its almost impossible to hit the daily recommendation of these 2 extremely important minerals so a Magnesium Glycinate supplement is a must. As for potassium, I drink a mixture of 2 table spoons of Cream of Tartar (potassium) and 1 table spoon of bovine gelatin powder (pure collagen for tissue repairing and skin).
    Thanks, Nik. I'm going to give it a try, especially since I do have trouble falling asleep.

  9. #9
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered10000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Awards:
    Most Popular
    Duarte's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-01-19
    Location
    Belo Horizonte
    Posts
    706
    Points
    22,979
    Level
    46
    Points: 22,979, Level: 46
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 571
    Overall activity: 54.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-DF27-FGC35133
    MtDNA haplogroup
    B2

    Ethnic group
    Brazilian
    Country: Brazil



    Café do jacu, a Brazilian coffee among the best in the world.





    Owner of a very rich and interesting history, coffee is one of the oldest drinks in the world, and for thousands of people an indispensable companion during the day. Coffee is a product very rich in content and historical importance, and Brazil is proud to produce one of the best and most expensive coffee, Jacu's coffee. The history and means of obtaining this super premium Brazilian coffee is certainly unique and causes surprise and amazement.


    There are several types of coffee in the world, some softer, some stronger, and a number of variables that explain why coffee is such a special product. It is important to note that Brazil produces one third of the world coffee, being the largest producer and the largest exporter with a large advantage. And it is from Espirito Santo that comes Jacu's coffee, considered one of the best in the world, exotic, and obtained in an unconventional way.


    The "Jacu" is a native bird of the Atlantic forest, and it may have been difficult to understand the relationship of a bird to the production of this very special coffee. To produce it one does not remove the grains from the tree, but from the ground directly from the faeces of the animals. The jacu is a bird that not only eats coffee beans, but selects the best, that is, the most mature and at its best moment, a great partner in this natural selection.



    The history of jacu coffee is of interest, since in the past the bird was a great threat to the production. As a solution, "Kopi Luwak", the most expensive coffee in the world that comes from Indonesia, has become a source of inspiration since it is extracted from the feces of an animal that resembles a possum. From this came the coffee of the jacu, very valued and respected, besides being an international success.


    Consuming a product that comes from the feces of an animal is strange, but the secret and the differential of jacu coffee are in this unusual detail. When the coffee is ingested, the jacu organism (which does not have a stomach) processes quickly using only the pulp and the bark, expelling the intact grain. The secret of this radical change that transforms flavor into something different and unique is the process inside the animal's gut.


    The jacu coffee crop is manual, and is usually made at the foot of the trees. Coffee is rare precisely because it is a product of nature, which depends on the bird for its own sake. Once harvested, the coffee goes through a rigorous cleaning process to remove the bacteria, goes on for a rest period, and finally will be roasted and ground for consumption.

    The limited production is destined mostly to the outside, where several famous restaurants of Europe have already adopted the most awarded Brazilian coffee. The result of this product comes from the feces of a bird of the Atlantic forest, are unique, complex flavors, a striking acidity, a more sweet taste, and somehow difficult to identify and explain as a whole.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    16-07-19
    Posts
    1
    Points
    32
    Level
    1
    Points: 32, Level: 1
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: United Kingdom



    Some people drink a tea like a medicine but chocolate is good for stamina coffee is harmful for health.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Achievements:
    3 months registered250 Experience Points

    Join Date
    29-07-19
    Posts
    12
    Points
    385
    Level
    4
    Points: 385, Level: 4
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 0%


    Country: United States



    I don't think addictivity is being factored in. Because coffee and tea contain caffeine, a psychologically addictive component, they are more unhealthy long-term, as they produce a desire to consume more. Thus, chocolate is healthiest in my humble opinion.
    Last edited by dnsn107; 31-07-19 at 03:08.

  12. #12
    Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    19-03-18
    Location
    Wellington
    Age
    65
    Posts
    46
    Points
    3,211
    Level
    16
    Points: 3,211, Level: 16
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 239
    Overall activity: 7.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-L21
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c3b2

    Ethnic group
    Maori Irish French Scottish English
    Country: New Zealand



    Quote Originally Posted by dnsn107 View Post
    I don't think addictivity is being factored in. Because coffee and tea contain caffeine, a psychologically addictive component, they are more unhealthy long-term, as they produce a desire to consume more. Thus, chocolate is healthiest in my arrogant opinion.
    Yes but chocolate also contains caffeine, which might explain the expression "chocoholic". According to the caffeine levels listed by Maciamo in his first post above, 100g of dark chocolate could contain more caffeine than six cups of green tea.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •