Nutrition Tea, coffee and chocolate: which is better for health?

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I long wondered about which of these three caffeine-rich substances conferred the most health benefits, so I did a little research.

Coffee

Coffee is rich in antioxidants, notably:

- chlorogenic acid : known to slightly reduce blood pressure
- cafestol : found especially in unfiltered coffee, it has anticarcinogenic properties and neuroprotective effects
- kahweol : has anti-inflammatory and anti-angiogenic effects
- niacin (vitamin B3) : lowers bad cholesterol
- tocopherols : a form of vitamin E
- trigonelline : an alkaloid which has been found to lower the risk of diabetes and central nervous system disease, among others.

According to the scientific studies and meta-analyses mentioned in Wikipedia's section about coffee's health benefits, it is been found that:

- Coffee consumption (4 cups/day) reduced risk of death by all disease causes.

- Coffee drinkers who had 3 cups/day were found to have a 21% lower risk of cardiovascular disease than non drinkers.

- Long-term coffee consumption is associated with a lower risk of Parkinson's disease.

- Every cup of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee consumed per day is associated, respectively, with a 9% and 6% lower risk of type 2 diabetes.

A review by the Harvard Medical School also mentions that coffee:

- is protective effects against Alzheimer's disease.

- lowers the risk for some cancers (endometrial, aggressive prostate, estrogen-negative breast), but not others (esophageal).

- is associated with lower levels of enzymes that indicate liver damage and inflammation and may confer protection against liver cancer.

- moderate consumption (3–4 cups a day) is associated with lower risk of stroke.

Tea

Tea is rich in phenols and polyphenols, including:

- catechins
- theaflavins
- tannins
- flavonoids.

Green tea contains additionally:

- epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG)
- epigallocatechin
- epicatechin gallate
- epicatechin
- kaempferol
- quercetin
- myricitin

Among health benefits, tea could:

- reduce the risk of stroke

- reduce LDL cholesterol

Green tea could also:

- prevent the growth of bladder, breast, lung, stomach, pancreatic, and colorectal cancers

- reduce risk of neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases

There are many other alleged benefits, but not necessarily proven.

Cocoa

The health benefits of chocolate derive from cocoa, and the higher the cocoa content, the better it is for health (so choose preferably very dark chocolates, ideally with over 80% cocoa, for regular consumption).

Cocoa is rich in flavonoids and alkaloids, such as theobromine and phenethylamine. A study by Cheng et al. (2009) found that flavonoid levels are twice higher in dark chocolate than in milk chocolate, and four times higher than in milk chocolate. Theobromine is 6x higher in dark than milk chocolate and is completely absent from white chocolate. This study analysed common supermarket types of dark chocolate, so its cocoa content may only be around 60%, unlike very dark chocolate.

Another study found that cocoa and dark chocolate contain more antioxidants (polyphenols and flavanols) than any other fruits tested, which included blueberries and acai berries.

Chocolate is also very rich in magnesium, iron, copper and manganese and also contains potassium, phosphorus, zinc and selenium.

The health benefits of cacao include:

- raise HDL cholesterol and lowers LDL cholesterol

- reduce the risk of heart disease (by 50% for regular consumers according to Buijsse et al. 2006 and by 57% for Djoussé et al. 2011)

- consumption is inversely associated with calcified atherosclerotic plaque (Djoussé et al. 2010)

- flavonols protect against sun damage, improve blood flow to the skin and increase skin density and hydration (Heinrich et al. 2006)

- flavanols in chocolate increase blood flow to the brain (Francis et al. 2006) and improve cognitive functions (Desideri et al. 2012)

Caffeine

Tea, coffee and cocoa are all relatively rich in caffeine, which is great if you want to wake up and increase your concentration. On the down side, caffeine consumption has been associated with anxiety. Some people do suffer from caffeine-induced anxiety disorder. People most impacted by caffeine consumption are adolescents and those already suffering anxiety disorders.

Here is a comparison of the caffeine content per drink.

- Coffee : 100-200 mg per cup
- Matcha tea : 60-80 mg per cup
- Black tea : 40-80 mg per cup
- Oolong tea: 30-45 mg per cup
- Green tea : 15-35 mg per cup
- White tea : 10-15 mg per cup
- Decaffeinated coffee : 5-10 mg per cup
- Hot chocolate : 5 mg per cup

As for chocolate bars:

- 85% dark chocolate : 150-175 mg per 100g
- 70% dark chocolate : 125-150 mg per 100g
- 60% dark chocolate : 100-125 mg per 100g
- milk chocolate : 20 mg per 100g
- white chocolate : 0 mg

I long wondered about which of these three caffeine-rich substances conferred the most health benefits, so I did a little research.

Coffee

Coffee is rich in antioxidants, notably:

- chlorogenic acid : known to slightly reduce blood pressure
- cafestol : found especially in unfiltered coffee, it has anticarcinogenic properties and neuroprotective effects
- kahweol : has anti-inflammatory and anti-angiogenic effects
- niacin (vitamin B3) : lowers bad cholesterol
- tocopherols : a form of vitamin E
- trigonelline : an alkaloid which has been found to lower the risk of diabetes and central nervous system disease, among others.

According to the scientific studies and meta-analyses mentioned in Wikipedia's section about coffee's health benefits, it is been found that:

- Coffee consumption (4 cups/day) reduced risk of death by all disease causes.

- Coffee drinkers who had 3 cups/day were found to have a 21% lower risk of cardiovascular disease than non drinkers.

- Long-term coffee consumption is associated with a lower risk of Parkinson's disease.

- Every cup of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee consumed per day is associated, respectively, with a 9% and 6% lower risk of type 2 diabetes.

A review by the Harvard Medical School also mentions that coffee:

- is protective effects against Alzheimer's disease.

- lowers the risk for some cancers (endometrial, aggressive prostate, estrogen-negative breast), but not others (esophageal).

- is associated with lower levels of enzymes that indicate liver damage and inflammation and may confer protection against liver cancer.

- moderate consumption (3–4 cups a day) is associated with lower risk of stroke.

Tea

Tea is rich in phenols and polyphenols, including:

- catechins
- theaflavins
- tannins
- flavonoids.

Green tea contains additionally:

- epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG)
- epigallocatechin
- epicatechin gallate
- epicatechin
- kaempferol
- quercetin
- myricitin

Among health benefits, tea could:

- reduce the risk of stroke

- reduce LDL cholesterol

Green tea could also:

- prevent the growth of bladder, breast, lung, stomach, pancreatic, and colorectal cancers

- reduce risk of neurological disorders like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s diseases

There are many other alleged benefits, but not necessarily proven.

Cocoa

The health benefits of chocolate derive from cocoa, and the higher the cocoa content, the better it is for health (so choose preferably very dark chocolates, ideally with over 80% cocoa, for regular consumption).

Cocoa is rich in flavonoids and alkaloids, such as theobromine and phenethylamine. A study by Cheng et al. (2009) found that flavonoid levels are twice higher in dark chocolate than in milk chocolate, and four times higher than in milk chocolate. Theobromine is 6x higher in dark than milk chocolate and is completely absent from white chocolate. This study analysed common supermarket types of dark chocolate, so its cocoa content may only be around 60%, unlike very dark chocolate.

Another study found that cocoa and dark chocolate contain more antioxidants (polyphenols and flavanols) than any other fruits tested, which included blueberries and acai berries.

Chocolate is also very rich in magnesium, iron, copper and manganese and also contains potassium, phosphorus, zinc and selenium.

The health benefits of cacao include:

- raise HDL cholesterol and lowers LDL cholesterol

- reduce the risk of heart disease (by 50% for regular consumers according to Buijsse et al. 2006 and by 57% for Djoussé et al. 2011)

- consumption is inversely associated with calcified atherosclerotic plaque (Djoussé et al. 2010)

- flavonols protect against sun damage, improve blood flow to the skin and increase skin density and hydration (Heinrich et al. 2006)

- flavanols in chocolate increase blood flow to the brain (Francis et al. 2006) and improve cognitive functions (Desideri et al. 2012)

Caffeine

Tea, coffee and cocoa are all relatively rich in caffeine, which is great if you want to wake up and increase your concentration. On the down side, caffeine consumption has been associated with anxiety. Some people do suffer from caffeine-induced anxiety disorder. People most impacted by caffeine consumption are adolescents and those already suffering anxiety disorders.

Here is a comparison of the caffeine content per drink.

- Coffee : 100-200 mg per cup
- Matcha tea : 60-80 mg per cup
- Black tea : 40-80 mg per cup
- Oolong tea: 30-45 mg per cup
- Green tea : 15-35 mg per cup
- White tea : 10-15 mg per cup
- Decaffeinated coffee : 5-10 mg per cup
- Hot chocolate : 5 mg per cup

As for chocolate bars:

- 85% dark chocolate : 150-175 mg per 100g
- 70% dark chocolate : 125-150 mg per 100g
- 60% dark chocolate : 100-125 mg per 100g
- milk chocolate : 20 mg per 100g
- white chocolate : 0 mg

Thanks, Maciamo. That's excellent information.

I guess I should up my coffee consumptions. The caffeine from four cups would be too much for me, but luckily it seems the decaffeinated variety is just as good for you. Same for tea.

Wish I liked dark chocolate but it's just too bitter for me, so that I'll have to skip.

chocolate is the worst of the 3 noted above
if you have 80% plus chocolate it is good for ones body, if the percentage is less, it causes cellulite and other bodily fats

chocolate is the worst of the 3 noted above
if you have 80% plus chocolate it is good for ones body, if the percentage is less, it causes cellulite and other bodily fats

I eat 85% or 90% chocolate and I am fine with it.

The health benefits of any single food are highly exaggerated yet they create hype among people. It's rather large and consistent amounts or 100 different foods over a long period that will start to have an effect on you.

With coffee we also have to consider adrenal fatigue and it's wise to cycle it, yet it might get difficult due to its withdrawal symptoms such as headache.

Chocolate on the other hand is very rich in Magnesium, definitely the most underestimated and unknown mineral of our body which I would even call a Super Mineral. Unfortunately we can't even get half of the daily requirement of Magnesium due to the impoverished soil and pesticides so supplementation is the way to go. Once you start your sleep will immediately improve as well as your toilet trips. ;)

P.s. I always used coffee as a pre-workout for boosting strength and energy and matcha green tea for its antioxidant properties. But other than that I would advise sticking to decaf and don't take it as soon as you wake up but rather between your breakfast and lunch (11am for example) as insulin is at its peak during early morning, around lunch time, and dinner time, so avoid having caffeine and insulin clash together and build up resistance to it.

The health benefits of any single food are highly exaggerated yet they create hype among people. It's rather large and consistent amounts or 100 different foods over a long period that will start to have an effect on you.

With coffee we also have to consider adrenal fatigue and it's wise to cycle it, yet it might get difficult due to its withdrawal symptoms such as headache.

Chocolate on the other hand is very rich in Magnesium, definitely the most underestimated and unknown mineral of our body which I would even call a Super Mineral. Unfortunately we can't even get half of the daily requirement of Magnesium due to the impoverished soil and pesticides so supplementation is the way to go. Once you start your sleep will immediately improve as well as your toilet trips. ;)

P.s. I always used coffee as a pre-workout for boosting strength and energy and matcha green tea for its antioxidant properties. But other than that I would advise sticking to decaf and don't take it as soon as you wake up but rather between your breakfast and lunch (11am for example) as insulin is at its peak during early morning, around lunch time, and dinner time, so avoid having caffeine and insulin clash together and build up resistance to it.

Very good information. Thanks.

I literally can't function in the morning without caffeine, but I do take that morning cup of coffee without food as I'm never hungry when I first wake up. Maybe an hour later I might have fruit or oatmeal or toast or something, but that's it.

I stick to decaf coffee for the rest of the day, although sometimes I have a "pick me up" tea during the afternoon doldrums. That's it for caffeine though, as I'm hyper sensitive to it and too much makes me anxious.

Interesting about the magnesium. I hate dark chocolate, however. Any other high magnesium foods you recommend?

Very good information. Thanks.

I literally can't function in the morning without caffeine, but I do take that morning cup of coffee without food as I'm never hungry when I first wake up. Maybe an hour later I might have fruit or oatmeal or toast or something, but that's it.

I stick to decaf coffee for the rest of the day, although sometimes I have a "pick me up" tea during the afternoon doldrums. That's it for caffeine though, as I'm hyper sensitive to it and too much makes me anxious.

Interesting about the magnesium. I hate dark chocolate, however. Any other high magnesium foods you recommend?
Coffee indeed helps most of us in the morning and I don't disagree with that but I'd like you to experiment with something and see the results yourself.

Any food or beverage that has stimulant properties will help you in the morning just like coffee. Part of it is the placebo effect because you will feel better even if you drink sodas but obviously you don't want to do that.

This fits perfectly as a suggestion since you asked for ways to boost magnesium.

Try starting the day with a spinach, kale, green apple, banana, and turmeric powder instead and take coffee later in the day. This smoothie will give you 1500mg (out of the daily recommended 4700mg) of potassium and a bit more than 150mg (out of 400mg) of magnesium.

But like I said together with potassium its almost impossible to hit the daily recommendation of these 2 extremely important minerals so a Magnesium Glycinate supplement is a must. As for potassium, I drink a mixture of 2 table spoons of Cream of Tartar (potassium) and 1 table spoon of bovine gelatin powder (pure collagen for tissue repairing and skin).

Coffee indeed helps most of us in the morning and I don't disagree with that but I'd like you to experiment with something and see the results yourself.

Any food or beverage that has stimulant properties will help you in the morning just like coffee. Part of it is the placebo effect because you will feel better even if you drink sodas but obviously you don't want to do that.

This fits perfectly as a suggestion since you asked for ways to boost magnesium.

Try starting the day with a spinach, kale, green apple, banana, and turmeric powder instead and take coffee later in the day. This smoothie will give you 1500mg (out of the daily recommended 4700mg) of potassium and a bit more than 150mg (out of 400mg) of magnesium.

But like I said together with potassium its almost impossible to hit the daily recommendation of these 2 extremely important minerals so a Magnesium Glycinate supplement is a must. As for potassium, I drink a mixture of 2 table spoons of Cream of Tartar (potassium) and 1 table spoon of bovine gelatin powder (pure collagen for tissue repairing and skin).

Thanks, Nik. I'm going to give it a try, especially since I do have trouble falling asleep.

Reactions: Nik
Café do jacu, a Brazilian coffee among the best in the world.
IMG_5695-Medium-1-870x579.jpg

Owner of a very rich and interesting history, coffee is one of the oldest drinks in the world, and for thousands of people an indispensable companion during the day. Coffee is a product very rich in content and historical importance, and Brazil is proud to produce one of the best and most expensive coffee, Jacu's coffee. The history and means of obtaining this super premium Brazilian coffee is certainly unique and causes surprise and amazement.

There are several types of coffee in the world, some softer, some stronger, and a number of variables that explain why coffee is such a special product. It is important to note that Brazil produces one third of the world coffee, being the largest producer and the largest exporter with a large advantage. And it is from Espirito Santo that comes Jacu's coffee, considered one of the best in the world, exotic, and obtained in an unconventional way.

The "Jacu" is a native bird of the Atlantic forest, and it may have been difficult to understand the relationship of a bird to the production of this very special coffee. To produce it one does not remove the grains from the tree, but from the ground directly from the faeces of the animals. The jacu is a bird that not only eats coffee beans, but selects the best, that is, the most mature and at its best moment, a great partner in this natural selection.
capa-texto-Medium-1024x768.jpg

The history of jacu coffee is of interest, since in the past the bird was a great threat to the production. As a solution, "Kopi Luwak", the most expensive coffee in the world that comes from Indonesia, has become a source of inspiration since it is extracted from the feces of an animal that resembles a possum. From this came the coffee of the jacu, very valued and respected, besides being an international success.

Consuming a product that comes from the feces of an animal is strange, but the secret and the differential of jacu coffee are in this unusual detail. When the coffee is ingested, the jacu organism (which does not have a stomach) processes quickly using only the pulp and the bark, expelling the intact grain. The secret of this radical change that transforms flavor into something different and unique is the process inside the animal's gut.

The jacu coffee crop is manual, and is usually made at the foot of the trees. Coffee is rare precisely because it is a product of nature, which depends on the bird for its own sake. Once harvested, the coffee goes through a rigorous cleaning process to remove the bacteria, goes on for a rest period, and finally will be roasted and ground for consumption.

The limited production is destined mostly to the outside, where several famous restaurants of Europe have already adopted the most awarded Brazilian coffee. The result of this product comes from the feces of a bird of the Atlantic forest, are unique, complex flavors, a striking acidity, a more sweet taste, and somehow difficult to identify and explain as a whole.

Some people drink a tea like a medicine but chocolate is good for stamina coffee is harmful for health.

I don't think addictivity is being factored in. Because coffee and tea contain caffeine, a psychologically addictive component, they are more unhealthy long-term, as they produce a desire to consume more. Thus, chocolate is healthiest in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
I don't think addictivity is being factored in. Because coffee and tea contain caffeine, a psychologically addictive component, they are more unhealthy long-term, as they produce a desire to consume more. Thus, chocolate is healthiest in my arrogant opinion.

Yes but chocolate also contains caffeine, which might explain the expression "chocoholic". According to the caffeine levels listed by Maciamo in his first post above, 100g of dark chocolate could contain more caffeine than six cups of green tea.

chocolate, with cocoa butter, and NO SUGAR NO MILK

there is nothing better than coccoa, coccoa butter and lecithin in a combo,
and if lecithin is from eggs, twice the quality.

For me, one/two espressos per day is a must.

I drink one 10 oz cup of strong black coffee, with one cube of sugar, every morning.
Although I am a natural early riser, I have a hard time shaking sleep inertia and sipping coffee and reading the news has become somewhat a ritual. I like to drink it through a straw.
If I am really dragging and need a pick me up, I will have an 8 oz sugar free Red Bull mid morning.
I don’t like the taste coffee leaves in my mouth after I drink it and feel the need to brush my teeth.
Chocolate and tea don’t really tempt me.

Dunno why most people think coffee is bad for you..
I drink a lot of coffee, at least 4 cups/day, at exam time I can drink a pot.

Got the Fast Caffeine Metabolizer gene along with 2 others that are associated with higher coffee consumption.
Sometimes I feel healthier when not drinking my regular many cups of coffee though, feel like the coffee tires me, like I'm more refreshed without it.
I assume it's because caffeine blocks adenosine receptors.

So, feel your body as well while doing what's healthy :p

This thread has been viewed 24067 times.

Back