Attachments

• pcafs.jpg
    pcafs.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
View attachment 11229
I thought this was an interesting match

View attachment 11230

I LOVE that, but how on earth to explain it?

Your PCA is exactly how I would have imagined one for an American with almost all British Isles testimony. Very interesting, Wheal. Thanks for sharing. :)

So touching that the Maryland sample is included.

@Angela, you were correct, when I looked at the pca for fs I saw that it was the wrong one. I've corrected my post to include the correct pca. Thank you for commenting on that. The pca that was uploaded was for a mostly European person, not sure how he can match that early Maryland sample. Two other people that I manage do have early 1700's family in Maryland and New Brunswick. FS's family is from North Western Mexico, and for once, family stories of being part AmerIndian are true.

Sorry everyone

Your closest Ancient populations...

Baltic + Avar (3.561)
Baltic + Kievan Rus (3.915)
Avar (7.543)
Baltic (11.96)
Kievan Rus (13.1)

Your closest Archaeogenetic matches...

1. Avar (590 AD) (7.543)
2. [Hidden] - upgrade your account (8.136)
3. Late Bronze Age Estonia (660 BC) (8.263)
4. [Hidden] - upgrade your account (10.17)
5. Iron Age Saaremaa Oesel (215 BC) (10.5)
6. [Hidden] - upgrade your account (10.79)
7. Viking Sweden (1100 AD) (10.81)
8. [Hidden] - upgrade your account (10.98)
9. Late Medieval Livonia (1585 AD) (11.33)

Your closest genetic modern populations...

1. Lithuanian (3.571)
2. Belorussian (6.671)
3. Estonian_Polish (8.287)
4. Russian_Smolensk (9.207)

PCA samples from Lombard period cemetery at Collegno (6th-7th century A.D.), Italy

7xI3bBu.jpg

PCA samples from Lombard period cemetery at Szólád (6th century A.D.), Hungary

Ot0ZIe5.jpg

PCA with Collegno and Szólád samples

e3IiDzp.jpg

I decided to poke around with Global25 and PAST. I produced these two PCAs:

f2iGNCr.png

j3kyka2.png

Where were you able to obtain those sub-regional Italian populations? The ones I used in the generic Global25 are not very good or informative, imo.

Also, if anyone has the coordinates for the Raveane et al 2018 paper, I think that would be very useful.

I decided to poke around with Global25 and PAST. I produced these two PCAs:

f2iGNCr.png

j3kyka2.png

Where were you able to obtain those sub-regional Italian populations? The ones I used in the generic Global25 are not very good or informative, imo.

Also, if anyone has the coordinates for the Raveane et al 2018 paper, I think that would be very useful.

global 25 is just another amateur tool, but the first PCA based on component 1 and component 2 (PC1 and PC2) is more accurate than the second one, which is based on component 1 and component 3 and thus ends up producing less accurate results.

global 25 is just another amateur tool, but the first PCA based on component 1 and component 2 (PC1 and PC2) is more accurate than the second one, which is based on component 1 and component 3 and thus ends up producing less accurate results.

Here is a new one I put together with the grouping changed; it is of Southern Europe. I had downloaded the Reich Lab datasets, and checked the locations of the samples, that are in the Global25 data set. I see the Southern Samples are from Cortenza, in Calabria, two from Naples, and one from Crispiano, in Puglia. The Crispiano one is the one in the Abruzzo cluster. They're from Nick Patterson et al 2012. I assume the east and west Sicilian samples are from Syracuse, and Trapani, but I could not verify that.

I combined the Cretan cluster, with Thessaloniki, to show a more proper range of where Greeks cluster. This also shows how much Western Jews, have received from Greek DNA.

I included the top ten samples I match with on Mytrueancestry.

I don't agree with where some of these samples are landing, considering where they did on the actual papers. I would like to figure out how to produce the coordinates myself from the available datasets from the Reich lab.

2YHeldZ.png

Last edited:
Here is a new one I put together with the grouping changed; it is of Southern Europe. I had downloaded the Reich Lab datasets, and checked the locations of the samples, that are in the Global25 data set. I see the Southern Samples are from Cortenza, in Calabria, two from Naples, and one from Crispiano, in Puglia. The Crispiano one is the one in the Abruzzo cluster. They're from Nick Patterson et al 2012. I assume the east and west Sicilian samples are from Syracuse, and Trapani, but I could not verify that.

I combined the Cretan cluster, with Thessaloniki, to show a more proper range of where Greeks cluster. This also shows how much Western Jews, have received from Greek DNA.

I don't agree with where some of these samples are landing, considering where they did on the actual papers. I would like to figure out how to produce the coordinates myself from the available datasets from the Reich lab.

WaGphC0.png

Yes, the east and west Sicilian samples are usually from Syracuse and Trapani.

Instead Tuscany are 5 individuals from TSI sample based on people who have at least 3 out of 4 grandparents born in Tuscany (so not the best of accuracy. There are many Tuscans who are more northwest than TSI) and Bergamo is based on 6 individuals from Bergamo HGDP (who in total are 13).

The red label of each population shoul be located where there is the average of the population. Clearly this is on the assumption that the Global25 modern samples are truly accurate and representative.

Yes, the east and west Sicilian samples are usually from Syracuse and Trapani.

Instead Tuscany are 5 individuals from TSI sample based on people who have at least 3 out of 4 grandparents born in Tuscany (so not the best of accuracy. There are many Tuscans who are more northwest than TSI) and Bergamo is based on 6 individuals from Bergamo HGDP (who in total are 13).

The red label of each population shoul be located where there is the average of the population. Clearly this is on the assumption that the Global25 modern samples are truly accurate and representative.

I've updated the group to be called TSI. They are indeed from that population sample.

2YHeldZ.png

rjKFft8.png

I've updated the group to be called TSI. They are indeed from that population sample.

rjKFft8.png

Yes, I knew that but I checked the G25 spreadsheet. Consider that TSI is the only sample of the Hap Map/1000 genomes project not based on 4/4 native grandparents, but the only one that states that they are only 3 out of 4.

Italian_South:Bel57 is most likely from Belvedere Marittimo (Bel=Belvedere), province of Cosenza, the northernmost area of Calabria at the border with Basilicata, as written in some old academic studies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belvedere_Marittimo

mytrueancestry.com_c_mainYOUancient.jpg

mytrueancestry.com_c_mainYOUmodern.jpg

mytrueancestry.com_c_mainYOUXAMPLES.jpg

yourclosetULTIMA.jpg

New update with new individuals.

12. Celtiberian Alemannic Mix (520 AD) (13.46) - STR_535
34. Ostrogoth Mix (465 AD) (16.5) - AEH_1
47. North Roman Warrior (605 AD) (18.18) - NS3c
57. Thuringii Tribe (420 AD) (19.89) - AED_1108
78. Ostrogoth Frankish Mix (410 AD) (22.37) - STR_328
79. Byzantine Roman Warrior (605 AD) (22.4) - NS3b
90. Alemanni Celtic Warrior (605 AD) (23.73) - NS10

2YHeldZ.png

This is excellent, Jovialis, especially showing the whole range of Greeks. Did you think of just seeing where "Peloponnese" and "Central Greeks would land or did the author not make those samples publicly available. Reich might have them, although he wasn't on the original paper on the genetics of the Peloponnese.

This is much more in line with what is shown in the papers in terms of other statistical type tools, and that's with using Global 25 samples which were chosen with who knows what criterion. Congratulations!

If you have some time at some point, there are academic samples which are labeled Piemonte but are really the border area between Piemonte, the Ligurian Alps etc. They might be from the Estonian Biocenter. I know MDLP got them. Also, would it be a lot of trouble to put CL36 and CL23 on the PCA? They might fit in between Bergamo and Toscana, as, of course, would some Tuscan samples. CL36, at least, comes out Northern Italian sometimes, and Tuscan sometimes. Who knows why Global 25 chose the Tuscan and Bergamo samples they chose.

This is excellent, Jovialis, especially showing the whole range of Greeks. Did you think of just seeing where "Peloponnese" and "Central Greeks would land or did the author not make those samples publicly available. Reich might have them, although he wasn't on the original paper on the genetics of the Peloponnese.

This is much more in line with what is shown in the papers in terms of other statistical type tools, and that's with using Global 25 samples which were chosen with who knows what criterion. Congratulations!

If you have some time at some point, there are academic samples which are labeled Piemonte but are really the border area between Piemonte, the Ligurian Alps etc. They might be from the Estonian Biocenter. I know MDLP got them. Also, would it be a lot of trouble to put CL36 and CL23 on the PCA? They might fit in between Bergamo and Toscana, as, of course, would some Tuscan samples. CL36, at least, comes out Northern Italian sometimes, and Tuscan sometimes. Who knows why Global 25 chose the Tuscan and Bergamo samples they chose.

Thanks! Here's an updated version:

hBL788e.png

I got the idea from the Lazaridis PCA that included Cretans and Thessaloniki in the grouping of "Modern Greeks". Also the paper on the Peloponnese indeed confirms the Peloponnesians do cluster next to Cretans. By putting both Crete and Thessaloniki in the same group, it stretched the range.

1xzMbEz.jpg

gjrL7mK.jpg

my wife's first 25

Her family tree states for past 300 years living in different towns along the Livenza river https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livenza

[h=3]Your closest Archaeogenetic matches...[/h][h=6](Smaller numbers mean closer matches to you)[/h]
1. Cisalpine Gaul (590 AD) (6.716) - SZ45 (Click for more info)
2. Illyrian / Dalmatian (1600 BC) (8.715) - I4332 (Click for more info)
3. Thracian Bulgaria (450 BC) (8.715) - I5769 (Click for more info)
4. Medieval Hungary / Balkan (1244 AD) (8.97) - DA199 (Click for more info)
5. Medieval Tyrolian (590 AD) (10.04) - SZ18 (Click for more info)
6. Iberian / Piedmont (670 AD) (10.12) - CL94 (Click for more info)
7. Gallo-Roman (590 AD) (10.26) - SZ28 (Click for more info)
8. Visigoth Mixed Slav Girona (550 AD) (10.41) - I12031 (Click for more info)
9. Central Roman (670 AD) (10.59) - CL36 (Click for more info)
10. Scythian Moldova (290 BC) (11.11) - scy311 (Click for more info)
11. Byzantine Roman Warrior (605 AD) (11.18) - NS3b (Click for more info)
12. Illyrian / Dalmatian (1200 BC) (11.23) - I3313 (Click for more info)
13. Scythian Moldova (270 BC) (11.64) - scy192 (Click for more info)
14. Medieval Tyrolian (670 AD) (11.66) - CL53 (Click for more info)
15. Medieval Frank (670 AD) (11.83) - CL63 (Click for more info)
16. Medieval Piedmont (670 AD) (11.88) - CL57 (Click for more info)
17. Swiss Germanic (670 AD) (11.96) - CL102 (Click for more info)
18. Central Roman (590 AD) (11.96) - SZ43 (Click for more info)
19. Frankish-Gaul / Lombardy Italy (670 AD) (12.19) - CL47 (Click for more info)
20. Central Roman (590 AD) (12.61) - SZ32 (Click for more info)
21. Thuringii Tribe (420 AD) (12.75) - AED_1108 (Click for more info)

I got the idea from the Lazaridis PCA that included Cretans and Thessaloniki in the grouping of "Modern Greeks". Also the paper on the Peloponnese indeed confirms the Peloponnesians do cluster next to Cretans. By putting both Crete and Thessaloniki in the same group, it stretched the range.

1xzMbEz.jpg

You did well Jovialis showing the whole range of Greeks, also because the G25 for the Greeks uses mainly people from Thessaloniki, northern Greece, who can hardly represent all Greeks.

And while we're at it, few words on the PCA from Drineas et al. Many populations in that PCA are missing. How can they do a study on Greek Cretans using only a sample from the Peloponnese and not the rest of the Greeks? Then why are populations like Albanians, Kosovars, Macedonians (Fyrom), Bulgarians and Romanians and so on missing? They are populations of South-East Europe that should be there when you study a south eastern European population like the Cretans. A PCA becomes accurate only when you put in all the populations, because PCA are very flexible and the samples change position depending on the populations used. On an individual level in that PCA there are also surprising results: a Sicilian who ends up with the Venetians, a Hungarian who ends up in the Caucasus, another Hungarian who ends up with an Askenazi north of the Peloponnese, a Dane who ends up with the Tuscans, the Armenians too close to the Cretans. The position of the Sardinians is also very strange. Is it possible that in 2019 genetic studies all they can do is produce PCA in this way?

Thanks! Here's an updated version:

hBL788e.png

1xzMbEz.jpg

gjrL7mK.jpg

Thanks, Jovialis. I guess my hunch was correct. That space between Bergamo and TSI is filled with people like Emilians, maybe people from the Lunigiana, maybe even Ligurians (that Piemonte/Ligurian Alps sample)? I'm just guessing about the latter two, but Collegno 36 is definitely Emilian like, and my second closest match ever (around 4). Now it's even clearer why, on gedmatch calculators etc, my best scores were variably 4 or 5 to Bergamo and TSI.

Good work. :)

This thread has been viewed 1253250 times.

Back