Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
https://www.archaeology.org/news/7531-190408-france-le-tumulus-des-sables

"
Bell-Beaker-Ceramics.jpg
[COLOR=#000000 !important](Zde via Wikimedia Commons)

[/COLOR]
CANBERRA, AUSTRALIA—Cosmos Magazinereports that Hannah James of Australian National University and her colleagues dated teeth from the remains of seven adults and one child recovered from a prehistoric burial mound discovered in southwestern France in 2006. Known as Le Tumulus des Sables, the mound contained a jumble of bones from at least 20 adults and 10 children, and an assortment of pottery, much of which was made in the Bell Beaker style. Previous dates obtained for two bone fragments discovered in the mound fell within France’s Bell Beaker period, or between 2500 and 1800 B.C. “It’s one of [the] first cultures which spreads out all across Europe,” James explained. The new dates indicate that an additional six of the individuals buried in the mound also lived during France’s Bell Beaker period, but one person lived much earlier, between 3650 and 3522 B.C., and another lived much later, sometime between 1277 and 1121 B.C. This range of dates suggests the mound was in use for more than 2,000 years. Analysis of strontium, carbon, nitrogen, and oxygen isotopes in the teeth suggests that all but one of the adults grew up
near the burial mound.

Not SE France which is a shame, but I'd love to know what that 4th mBC guy was like

I think it just shows how important the dating is...

Hope Olalde gets hold of the samples, and re-does the dating on the samples they already have.

it's allways problematic, BB people reused previous burials, it's open to speculate if that was to get elite burial sites or if they thought they continued local traditions, even so at least in Catalonia they erected some new dolmens. Of course, as stated for some Olalde's samples, some Non Steppe beakers where just Chalco people, not beakers.

a burial mound in use for 2000 years
and in the mean time there was a population replacement, at least acording to Y-DNA
but some traditions remained intact

same with Stonehenge, which was originaly a place built by farmers and later it was enlarged in a spectacular way by Bell Beakers
they replaced the males, yet they respected traditions of the original populations???

a burial mound in use for 2000 years
and in the mean time there was a population replacement, at least acording to Y-DNA
but some traditions remained intact

same with Stonehenge, which was originaly a place built by farmers and later it was enlarged in a spectacular way by Bell Beakers
they replaced the males, yet they respected traditions of the original populations???

I kind of agree with this point of view.
A part of current French natives are mix of Ancient Romans with Celtic tribes from France.
Other, mix of Celtic tribes from France with Hallstatt Celts from Germany (that current Germany population is mostly Hallstatt Celts, as genetics, I found out in a thread I opened, in the past, on this forum).
More exactly, France Celts with Frankish people.
So, it was a population replacement, the Bell Beakers genetic people are those from British Isles and partially, from Netherlands, Norway and Iceland.
France are very Celtic people, or very Celtic-Romans, with Romans being closely related to Celts, sharing R1B-U152 with Celtic males.
Hallstatt Celts are still Celts, even if they speak German/Austrian, as genetics and mostly, as culture.
France is Celtic-Roman culture.
Frankish people were mostly Celtic, but speaking German, not as ancient Anglos, while ancient Saxons were rather Celtic people, but speaking a German language.

So, the Bell Beakers have been on France lands, but left few genetics and few to none cultural influences.
As a strange thing, there is significant R1B-L21 on Germany land, while in France,except in Britanny, few to none, so it seems that the Bell Beakers have been on Germany lands, also.
Now, Britanny - the Britons, a South England Bell Beaker Celticized tribe migrated to NW France, before mixing with the AngloSaxons.
In Britanny there is significant R1B-L21 due to Britons.

The Bell-Beakers went "to" Britain from Central Europe, they weren't "from" Britain. They indeed made an impact on France.

Seems, after R1B-L21 percentages, that Bell Beakers were present in Germany and from there they moved to Netherlands and from there, most migrated to the British Isles.
How Bell Beakers got in SW France, I do not know.
Another thing, I think there is also some R1B-L21 in Austria.
So, the migration route of the Bell Beakers passed through Austria,Germany,Netherlands and from there, to British Isles.
How the Bell Beakers got to Austria, is not known, I suppose.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 4305 times.

Back