Egypt invaded by Hyksos women???

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/mysterious-hyksos-dynasty-conquered-ancient-egypt-marriage

I don't know what to make of this. So, the offspring of these women supposedly would have taken on the culture of their mothers and imposed it on Egypt?
Does that make sense?

Anyone have any data on the relative mtDna frequencies?

"Hyksos people, thought to have come from somewhere in West Asia, reigned as Egypt’s 15th dynasty from around 3,650 to 3,540 years ago. Although later, homegrown Egyptian pharaohs described these people as invaders, no remains of battles fought by Hyksos people against Egyptians have been found.An influx of mostly female immigrants may have occurred at Tell el-Dab’a, the former Nile Valley Hyksos capital, shortly before the foreigners took over. “Hyksos people in Egypt appear to have been an elite group that gained power from within,” biological anthropologist Christina Stantis of Bournemouth University in Poole, England, said March 29 at the annual meeting of the American Association of Physical Anthropologists.
She and Bournemouth colleague Holger Schutkowski analyzed strontium in teeth from 71 individuals previously excavated at Tell el-Dab’a. Around half died within a few centuries before Hyksos rule; the rest died during the Hyksos dynasty. Measures of strontium, which gets absorbed into bones by regularly eating local plants and animals, are geographically distinct, indicating regions where people have lived.
Twenty-one of 27 females interred in elite graves dating to shortly before Hyksos rule came from outside the Nile Valley, Stantis said. Only a few nonlocal, elite males came from that time period. That female-skewed immigration fits a scenario in which Hyksos women married into Egyptian royal families, she said.
Tell el-Dab’a continued to attract high-ranking foreigners during the Hyksos dynasty, she said. About half of elite individuals, men and women alike, who died during its rule had immigrated to Tell el-Dab’a. “This was clearly an international city,” Stantis said."

I am so looking forward to seeing these results (wait this doesn't even seem to be aDNA :sad-2:), to me these people are my precursors. Not in an edgy, macho, ethnocentric Albanian-like way, but this is the earliest group of people I can feel any sense of kinship towards.

The women of Moab strategy. In all seriousness though, in herding societies daughters are the primary source of wealth. It remains to be seen whether the elite actuallx has Hyksos Y-DNA. If they did, Hyksos rulers might have simply bought themselves into the upper echelons of Egyptian society, and the women they brought with them might have been part of that arrangement.

Then again I always maintained that matrilineal systems might have been much more common back then, so I wouldn't discount that possibility either.

there is to much speculation about the nature of the Hyksos
no need for more complicated theories

I dont think customs were fixed in such a way back then, why assume rules are set in stone for males and females ?

Both men and women were free, to lead a raid/battle or to marry whoever ?

A group of arrivals may be all men and marry local woman. Likewise a mixed group may arrive and also fully mix in with the locals.

They didnt seem to have any prefrence just whats best for them at time.

Allying themselves by marriage to strengthen there familys was key.

I bet they were arriving from dynasty 1 and i bet they sent woman to there neighbours to cement borders. like Nubia for example.

concubines from abroad aren't ruled out?

Hyksos archeologically speaking is thought to be the people who brought war chariots, horses, composite bows and various other items in ancient egypt. I'm not sure what this study suggest in terms of archeology. And Tell el-Dab'a so ancient Avaris, was not the capital of Hyksos, but their secondy residence. Memphis was the Hyksos capital.

Btw, it's funny to read the people's comments on the comment section of the study page. " The oldest Euroasian cadavere ever discovered was that of Otzi the Iceman whose remains have been dated to around 3,200 BC "

There is also evidence that the Hyksos influenced Khufu in his monotheism, and had something to do with erecting the Great Pyramid

This thread has been viewed 4529 times.

Back