Nik: 1

Yetos: 1

td120: 1

ToBe: 2

Davef: 1

Paul: 3 if I'm generous :)

Hrvat: 0

Joey: 0

I didn't think it would be this hard. Only 1 is a joke/trick.

I'll wait a while to see if there are any more guesses and then I'll reveal.
Uuughhh...1/6..we all failed :p. We seriously need tutoring sessions :)

No, as I said, as Irish as they come. The British Isles members got it; they recognized the phenotypes.

Younger:
Maria-Doyle.jpg

OMG, I didn't even recognize her on that 1st pic you posted. I've only seen her in the Commitments and period movies/series, but not in real life. I would have said Spanish.

OMG, I didn't even recognize her on that 1st pic you posted. I've only seen her in the Commitments and period movies/series, but not in real life. I would have said Spanish.

The picture of her in the original post isn't actually from "real life". It's from the tv series I mentioned. It's called "Striking Out". The one of her as a young woman and the one at the award show are obviously from her private life.

As you can see, I'm rather addicted to "crime" dramas. :)

I'm a bit surprised these were that difficult. They weren't intended to be. Maybe it's because I've been surrounded by Irish people since we immigrated to the U.S. Well, and Southern Italians, and Ashkenazi Jews, and quite a few Germans too. You learn to distinguish them. :)

The 4, 5 and 6 are the ones that were most familiar to me, even the 4 I was about to say also Spain. The 5 was very familiar to me from one moment to another I had the perception that I could communicate in Spanish with her, her lips, her attitude and look were recognizable to me, despite the fact that it might seem simple German or similar.

The picture of her in the original post isn't actually from "real life". It's from the tv series I mentioned. It's called "Striking Out". The one of her as a young woman and the one at the award show are obviously from her private life.

As you can see, I'm rather addicted to "crime" dramas. :)

I'm a bit surprised these were that difficult. They weren't intended to be. Maybe it's because I've been surrounded by Irish people since we immigrated to the U.S. Well, and Southern Italians, and Ashkenazi Jews, and quite a few Germans too. You learn to distinguish them. :)
I actually found this one very difficult myself...I guess I'm not very familiar with certain northwestern european characteristics

Angela come on

No 5 is Italian?

come on,

From looking at the pictures over and over again, I've realized, although I probably noticed it subconsciously from the beginning, that all of them except the man, and oddly, my cousin, have my nose to one degree or another: long, straight, narrow at the top but broader at the tip, and that includes the redhead.

In my area they call it a "French" nose. I don't know what that means exacty. Maybe it's a sort of nose that sometimes appeared in the Celts and is more common across the border in France? My impression has been that most of the Iberians don't have it, do they? Maybe they do. Anyway, I got it from my mother.

I know what you mean about my cousin. Yes, she had light hair and eyes, and a round face, although I think that was partly because, like some Emilians, she got heavy with age, but she has a very, to me, Italian "expression". I'll give you maybe Spanish as well. :) That's what sometimes gives away "nationality" to me. It's why, along with the general physical resemblance, I thought number 4 might be Italian or part Italian, and why I didn't think number 6 looked Italian at all. She has such a severe "resting" face, although she looks quite pleasant when she smiles. Anyway, thank God for my mother's fast metabolism, or I'd wind up looking like my cousin in old age, probably.

Angela come on

No 5 is Italian?

come on,

Now I'm insulted "and" angry. I strike you as the kind of person who would lie about my family?

Dump your stereotypes and look at this Italian skier. See the hat? It says Parmigiano Reggiano. That's generally where he's from, and that's where my father's family is from, and my cousin Martina.

BqJd15y.jpg

Giuliano Razzano, Emilian. Is that Italian enough for you?

Cousin:

Cousin:

Young cousins:

Girl on the left:

If you can't see the resemblances you're blind.

Maybe you might want to take a look at this gallery I posted, too.
https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/33332-People-of-the-Appennino-Parmense?highlight=Parmense

Or this one:
https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threa...-Liguria-NW-Toscana?highlight=eastern+Liguria

It might stop you from being so stereotypical in your thinking. There are a variety of looks but the one we're discussing is among them. It's not common, but it's not rare either.

Last edited:
Angela

Don't pissed off.

The phainotype of 5 is not even Meditterean mixed
Ok she is your cousin, she is Italian nationality and nativity,
but I do not think is Italian phainotype,
Here in North Greece such phainotype is not unusual, about 1/10 to 1/5 according area and tribes
but come on, not at all Neditterenean,

Sorry, I do not mean to offend but she could pass as sister of Mercel :innocent:

:grin: plz don't shoot me,

Stereotypes are very difficult to combat ...
During my childhood, my concept of "Italians", knowing my grandfather and his friends and family, all of the Veneto, was: people of medium or high stature, with pale skin, many of light eyes and light hair.
Later, through the American movies and TV series, I " learned" that the Italians "should be" of short stature, light brown skin, dark eyes and dark hair ...

Angela

Don't pissed off.

The phainotype of 5 is not even Meditterean mixed
Ok she is your cousin, she is Italian nationality and nativity,
but I do not think is Italian phainotype,
Here in North Greece such phainotype is not unusual, about 1/10 to 1/5 according area and tribes
but come on, not at all Neditterenean,

Sorry, I do not mean to offend but she could pass as sister of Mercel :innocent:

:grin: plz don't shoot me,

Did you bother to look at the people in the thread about the Appennino Parmense? As Moesan pointed out, a lot of them look more "continental" than "Mediterranean". That doesn't mean they're not completely Italian, and with the genetic scores to prove it.

You say that perhaps 10% of the people in your area have that phenotype, but you can't believe the same is true in northern Italy????

Indeed, in some areas it's up to 30%. We have more variety in Italy, not just in terms of genetics, but in terms of phenotypes, than any other country in Europe. Just look at the space we take up in a PCA.

I see I'm going to have to add to that gallery, and the one about the Lunigiana.

You wouldn't get pissed off if someone accused you of lying about your family? It's a good thing you weren't in front of me when I read it, Yetos. I could scare my husband when I was in a temper. I bet I could scare you. :) A good schiaffo would be the least of it.

Oh, and my cousin was prettier than Merkel ever was. Just look at the pictures of my younger cousins. The only difference was that she had lighter hair.
3e6342e32a335ffd5297f0a419d524c2_704.gif

Actually, in some pictures, she could have passed quite well in places in Northern Italy.

_69931452_youngmerkel.jpg

@italo,
Thank you. At least someone gets it. :)

Did you bother to look at the people in the thread about the Appennino Parmense? As Moesan pointed out, a lot of them look more "continental" than "Mediterranean". That doesn't mean they're not completely Italian, and with the genetic scores to prove it.

You say that perhaps 10% of the people in your area have that phenotype, but you can't believe the same is true in northern Italy????

Indeed, in some areas it's up to 30%. We have more variety in Italy, not just in terms of genetics, but in terms of phenotypes, than any other country in Europe. Just look at the space we take up in a PCA.

I see I'm going to have to add to that gallery, and the one about the Lunigiana.

You wouldn't get pissed off if someone accused you of lying about your family? It's a good thing you weren't in front of me when I read it, Yetos. I could scare my husband when I was in a temper. I bet I could scare you. :) A good schiaffo would be the least of it.

Oh, and my cousin was prettier than Merkel ever was. Just look at the pictures of my younger cousins. The only difference was that she had lighter hair.
3e6342e32a335ffd5297f0a419d524c2_704.gif

Actually, in some pictures, she could have passed quite well in places in Northern Italy.

_69931452_youngmerkel.jpg

@italo,
Thank you. At least someone gets it. :)

Another Welsh girl with that phenotype, and also a Lowry. :)
N6JeSsw.jpg

Clarice Van Hooten (Melisandre from Game of Thrones) has it too, although she's Dutch:
rRN2Yjw.jpg
[/IMG][/IMG]

An Italian approximation:

cY4JO6X.jpg
[/IMG]

I can't believe I didn't get no. 3, Bradley Freegard! I watched every episode of "Keeping Faith" - but he is older now than in the picture, with a fuller face. He is from south Wales, his wife Eve Myles (who played Faith) from south west Wales. He does look a lot like the Welsh girl in pic no. 3 above.

I do agree that it is not only looks, but facial expressions and mannerisms that tell you a person's ethnicity. My daughter lives in a very diverse part of a large city, but when I am there, I can tell the Brits simply by the way they walk. Whereas people from eastern Europe have a different gait and and a far more serious mien, although they are friendly enough once you get to know them.

Thing about the Welsh is they gesticulate a lot, far more than the English. To watch a group of Welshmen talking together, you could almost believe them to be Mediterranean!

No, as I said, as Irish as they come. The British Isles members got it; they recognized the phenotypes.

Younger:
Maria-Doyle.jpg

Oh my, I loved her in The Commitments. Such a voice. I assumed she was a professional singer, not a professional actor. I rewatch that film several times a year.

And . . . I assume everyone gets your point that you can't reliably identify nationality, or local ethnicity, through facial characteristics; Europe is just too much of a genetic mishmash. That was your point, wasn't it?

And . . . I assume everyone gets your point that you can't reliably identify nationality, or local ethnicity, through facial characteristics; Europe is just too much of a genetic mishmash. That was your point, wasn't it?

That's indeed part of my point, and I wouldn't assume everyone accepts it.

Stereotypes in terms of phenotype are sometimes correct, but sometimes they're not. In terms of the people of the British Isles, a lot of Americans seem to think they're all blonde and blue eyed.

Mostly, though, it's just a fun game.

Im the same way. I've always assumed that these northwestern Europeans of Irish/British descent were mostly lighter skinned with blonde, dirty blonde or reddish hair until I've seen images of them on this site and so I stand corrected. Threads like this teach me quite a bit about Europeans and their various phenotypes.

Even if all that is said above is true, I sometimes wonder at the apparent ability of some people to successfully spot someone's nationality, maybe it has more to do with the "vibe" that emanates from someone than the actual phenotype?

Still strictly for fun, where do these peeps might come from?

1/

MB.jpg

2/
GB.jpg

3/
GL.jpg

4/
FD.jpg

5/
VJ.jpg

6/
MJ.jpg

7/
MiRaf.jpg

8/
PB.jpg

MJ's ancestry (#6) was quite surprising I must admit ...

Well my first answer would be Italian (except for MJ)...but then I am not very good at this.

Last edited:
They're tough!:)

l. British Isles-English I'd say.
2. I know who he is so I won't cheat. :)
3. Italian or French. I'll go with French.
4. Gives me a Nureyev vibe. Something eastern, maybe Russian or somewhere in the Soviet sphere?
5. Definitely not British Isles. She's not Italian or Spanish. So...French. She's just gorgeous, btw.
6. Northwest European, but not British Isles. She's from the continent somewhere, maybe nearby? I don't know, maybe the Netherlands or Belgium?
7.The man is English. Is the woman Italian?
8. Italian?

This thread has been viewed 34403 times.

Back