What nationality are these people?

For most of them, light or darker haired, they still look northwestern European to me, except perhaps the first one, who has a more "eastern" look to me, Swedish, or maybe even further east.

The real exception is Kjeld Nuis. Is he 100% Dutch? He definitely looks Southern European to me.

As fare as I know from the Rotterdam area. No explicit Southern European heritage.

Schermafbeelding 2019-06-09 om 15.16.17.jpgSchermafbeelding 2019-06-09 om 15.16.36.jpgSchermafbeelding 2019-06-09 om 15.15.39.jpg

For most of them, light or darker haired, they still look northwestern European to me, except perhaps the first one, who has a more "eastern" look to me, Swedish, or maybe even further east.

The real exception is Kjeld Nuis. Is he 100% Dutch? He definitely looks Southern European to me.

His (meanwhile ex) woman is more explicit Southern European, her name: Jill Lauren de Robles.

and looks:
Schermafbeelding 2019-06-09 om 15.32.29.jpg

As fare as I know from the Rotterdam area. No explicit Southern European heritage.

View attachment 11129View attachment 11128View attachment 11130

I think in his case it's a little bit more than just the coloring. He does have a slightly "southern" look. It happens. I would still think it's pretty rare in a place like the Netherlands, however. It may be just my impression, but it has always seemed to me that "northerners" are more homogeneous in looks.

There's a slight exception in the British Isles, where, although most of them still look "British" to me, the people in the "Celtic Fringe" areas can fool people.

Steven Mangan didn't fool me:
aVJZoNHIvHkwuTdEz53Bqn9pD6s.jpg

Catherine Zeta Jones also fooled me:

This is when she was very young:
young-catherine-zeta-jones-as-a-teenager-photo-u1

She's just an absolute stunner. It's said that her husband, Michael Douglas, just saw a picture of her and said I'm going to marry her. Not a very sound way of making a choice, imo, but not my business.

welsh-actress-catherine-zetajones-circa-1995-picture-id79987708

Mats Hummels completely fooled me:
tagheuer_matshummels_visits_the_manufacture_8.jpg

In Italy, there are places in the North where 20-30% of the people are blonde. That's no longer a rarity. In some isolated villages in the mountains it can reach 60% or more. Light eyes are about 50% or more in the Veneto. Yet, that's very rare in the south. Do you see what I mean? We have great contrasts, not just an occasional throw back or chance combination of features and pigmentation.

Still, some of our blonde Italians look completely Italian.

Ignazio Abate of Campania (Napoli)
Ignazio+Abate+Italy+UEFA+Euro+2012+Headshots+f1XNmYMrW0Kl.jpg

Others don't: Massimo Ambrosini from the Marche

ambrosini.jpg

It's no big "WHOOPS" if you know what I mean, doesn't matter in any important way, just interesting the twists and turns that phenotypes can take.

I think in his case it's a little bit more than just the coloring. He does have a slightly "southern" look. It happens. I would still think it's pretty rare in a place like the Netherlands, however. It may be just my impression, but it has always seemed to me that "northerners" are more homogeneous in looks.
It's no big "WHOOPS" if you know what I mean, doesn't matter in any important way, just interesting the twists and turns that phenotypes can take.

Indeed those twits and turns are interesting!

In this respect are the Netherlands no one unity, may be it's no coincidence that Nuis is the most 'southern' of the skaters.... Because below and above the Rhine have different frequencies of SNP's that effects the phenotype. Herc2 for example:

t25am9tu5v6.42.32.png

North and South Dutch are quite differentiated. (By the way I'm with dark blond, red undertone, and chestnut eyes the twist ;)

Peter Facinelli looks Northern Italian/Southern French with a bit of Celtic mix. The Celts roamed Europe for a long time and even stayed in Greece/Southern Balkans for about 70 years in the 3rd cent. BC. I am sure they left their genetic imprint in a lot of places. @Angela you can even blame them for the awful Italian bagpipes ;).

His (meanwhile ex) woman is more explicit Southern European, her name: Jill Lauren de Robles.

and looks:
View attachment 11131

Wow. She's really lovely. It's mostly, imo, her pigmentation that makes her look "southern", not so much her features.

Wow. She's really lovely. It's mostly, imo, her pigmentation that makes her look "southern", not so much her features.

I'm really not a fan of bagpipes from anywhere, and my father's area is one of the few left in Italy where they actually play it regularly. :(

However, one of the people who used to post here was a bagpipe aficionado, and she told me this man, playing the Emilian piva, has an excellent reputation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA-pCwDhlPQ&list=PL65Uplh60y95x2KOH66tefhb53yYbE_JE&index=4

Equally bad, imo, is the pifero, which is played in my mother's area as well as my father's, along with accordions and violins, usually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmZoZ3reTQ4

They're also still dancing the giga or jig, NOT from the Celts per se: it was a dance of the Middle Ages which just hung on in some places in the world. Mountain folk are REALLY conservative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCEBTf3P_SE

So much better when there's neither. :) One of my favorite songs from one of my favorite groups:

Dastardly men! You have to be very careful.:)

This thread has been viewed 34278 times.

Back