Strange DNA results for a Meskhetian Turk

fiko0

Reaction score
Hi,

I received my DNA results from MyHeritage yesterday and I have to say that I am a bit surprised about the results. According to our history, we are descended from the Kipchak Turks.
However, The results show other things: 55% West Asia, 35% Greek and Southern Italian.

How is this possible? My father and mother are both from Posof (Turkey). I can go back to 1866 citizenship registration where my great-grandparents come from a village 1 km from the Georgian border. The stay in that village has remained the same.

According to our history, the village was first inhabited by 2 families who came from the Ahiska area. These were Ahiska Turks: Duleler and Kahrimanlar.
Is it normal that no central Asia has come out of my DNA results or does Turkish ethnicity not have to be linked to central Asia at all?

Are the Kipchak Turks a Nomadic people? West Asia makes sense but I have no idea about the Greek/Southern Italian.
I did find this:
According to the map, the Of region is quite close to Posof.

Yes but it doesnt cover Ahiska region. We came from Ahiska to Posof (Kalkankaya village)...

Are the Kipchak Turks a Nomadic people? West Asia makes sense but I have no idea about the Greek/Southern Italian.

I did find this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontic_Greek

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Of,_Turkey

According to the map, the Of region is quite close to Posof.

I think the sample for Greek is taken from Aegean islands of Greece. It is thought that populations of these islands were mixed less with incoming Slavs so is good reference point to compare populations. So Greek means your DNA is similar to these people and its nothing strange since Turkey has absorbed many populations. Also ancient Turkish populations were similar to Balkans prior to Central Asians comming

Could be Pontic Greek. There are still Pontic Greeks who converted to Islam and therefore stayed in Turkey after World War I. And in the village of Of that matty74 spoke of, there is still a Greek-speaking minority.

Upload your raw data on gedmatch and post your results here. You will get more valid information about the populations you are close.

Actually I'm from Georgia and I also got Italy and Greece so don't worry about it. Companies seem to be very bad at reading our regions DNA.

@ fiko0

any connection with Kars?

Upload your raw data on gedmatch and post your results here. You will get more valid information about the populations you are close.

I want to download my dna data from the website but i get this message whole the time: ''Your DNA sample has been processed with a new chip. We are currently working on supporting the export of DNA data processed with the new chip / This will be available soon.''

I already mailed them so im waiting for a respons.

Actually I'm from Georgia and I also got Italy and Greece so don't worry about it. Companies seem to be very bad at reading our regions DNA.

I think im more closer to you than to a Greek or Italian =)

Yetos

No i dont think so... I can go back to around 1860 and its still the same village..
I got also 2.3% ashkenazi jewish. Maybe this tells me something about my Turkish roots?

Hi all, i uploaded my kit to Gedmatch but there are so many option under Admixture (heritage). Which one i have to do that shows the most accurate results?

Can somebody help me

Well actually East of Giresun, there is no significant East Asian admixture (Expect Igdır Province)

Also don't forget company factor. Each company make a system according to their first sample collection and as you know or guess, these researches became popular lately between Turks, Georgian and other many West Asian nations. As sometimes company did, they can change this results according to new sample data base.

Example-1: I am 2,7% Japanese in My Heritage. This is absurd. Japanese should be more Siberian or Central Asian.

Example-2: I am none but my mom 5,9% Chinese. My Heritage sucks in Central Asian genetic.

Example-3: In My Heritage, I am 57% Greek, but in Family tree 55% Asia Minor

Company factor matters on your result

Well actually East of Giresun, there is no significant East Asian admixture (Expect Igdır Province)

Also don't forget company factor. Each company make a system according to their first sample collection and as you know or guess, these researches became popular lately between Turks, Georgian and other many West Asian nations. As sometimes company did, they can change this results according to new sample data base.

Example-1: I am 2,7% Japanese in My Heritage. This is absurd. Japanese should be more Siberian or Central Asian.

Example-2: I am none but my mom 5,9% Chinese. My Heritage sucks in Central Asian genetic.

Example-3: In My Heritage, I am 57% Greek, but in Family tree 55% Asia Minor

Company factor matters on your result

Which tool and which option i have to use on Gedmatch for best admixure results? There are so many different things.. For example Eurogenes or MDLP. Than what? You have K11, K16, K23b etc. etc..

This thread has been viewed 8673 times.

Back