First rabbits in Britain

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
Funny. I just assumed they'd always been there, but apparently not.

See:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/roman-rabbit-find-is-one-giant-hop-for-archaeology-dn0dhtfk8

"They gave us aqueducts, sanitation, roads, public baths and wine. Now another item can join the list of Roman additions to British life — the rabbit.Just in time for Easter, scientists have identified the remains of what they believe is Britain’s earliest bunny. A small leg bone, from the first century AD, was found at what was once a grand Roman villa in Fishbourne, West Sussex."

My first pet was a rabbit, and my first dog was a beagle, a dog bred by the English to hunt the rabbits the Romans brought to the island. So this was one of the great moments in Bunny History.

We were always taught the rabbits were introduced into Britain by the Normans from 1066, as a food source, but the Hare was native to Britain, and was here, long before the Roman Invasions. Wonder if it could be a small leg bone from a Hare.

Funny. I just assumed they'd always been there, but apparently not.
Or, I suppose, they could have lived there originally before being hunted to extinction, and subsequently reintroduced by Romans.

This thread has been viewed 5059 times.

Back