Thread: M253 phyloequivalent SNP markers

Junior Member Achievements:
    31 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 3.0%

M253 phyloequivalent SNP markers

Hi

I read an article recently that seemed to imply that to be DF29+ then you have to be positive for all phyloequivalent SNP markers that confirm M253.....is that correct?? The reason I ask is that I have found I am negative for the phyloequivalent SNP marker L64.

Regular Member Achievements:
    1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-FGC24357
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K2a6

Ethnic group
    Hainaut Belgium and Quebec Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Aldon View Post
    Hi

I read an article recently that seemed to imply that to be DF29+ then you have to be positive for all phyloequivalent SNP markers that confirm M253.....is that correct?? The reason I ask is that I have found I am negative for the phyloequivalent SNP marker L64.
    How do you know you’re negative for L64? How many reads did you have for that specific base pair location? What kind of testing did you have done? What does Ftdna have you labeled as? If you truly are negative for one or more phyloequivalent SNPs comprising I1 then that would be very interesting because then a new branch would form on the Haplotree. People that are positive for I-DF29 are also positive for L64 so you would not be positive for I-DF29.

It is possible though that you are simply a “no call” for L64 in which case you could still potentially be positive for DF29.

Level

Hi mwauthy, thanks for reply. Tested with 23andme and was designated I-M253. Downloaded raw data to find out more and fed into Morley where I discovered L64 was negative out of 10 phyloequivalents tested by 23andme (found out about phyloequivalent SNP markers on site online). Checked against raw data and was indeed variant C negative instead of T ancestral. Was going to test further with YSEQ I1 panel, now not so sure, which is why I posted this thread.

1000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 177
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-FGC24357
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K2a6

Ethnic group
    Hainaut Belgium and Quebec Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Aldon View Post
    Hi mwauthy, thanks for reply. Tested with 23andme and was designated I-M253. Downloaded raw data to find out more and fed into Morley where I discovered L64 was negative out of 10 phyloequivalents tested by 23andme (found out about phyloequivalent SNP markers on site online). Checked against raw data and was indeed variant C negative instead of T ancestral. Was going to test further with YSEQ I1 panel, now not so sure, which is why I posted this thread.
    I’m not familiar with the technology 23andMe uses. However, with Ftdna I know that the same base pair location gets many reads and occasionally a negative read will pop up such as 49 T (Thymine) and 2 C (Cytosine). If it clears a certain percentage threshold it’s considered positive or negative. If not it can become an ambiguous “no call.” SNP readings are not always cut and dry especially if the location of the SNP is in an area of the Y chromosome that is difficult to read. I would test with another company such as Ftdna or YSEQ to get some clarity for your questions.

Level

Hi mwauthy, thanks, yes I will test with YSEQ and hope they can point me in the right direction downstream.

Level

Sorry meant to say I was C ancestral instead of T derived.

Veteran5000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Level
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 64.0%

If you're DF29 you must be positive for all phyloequivalent SNPs of M253. I know with many Big Y test results at FTDNA some SNPs in a pack of related SNPs are labelled brown among green ones to show presumed positive (brown) with positive (green). Either it's due to bad reads, or sample saving procedures that they gloss over certain SNPs.

Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 67

Hi Spruithean 23and me didn't test me for DF29 so I cannot say whether that was positive or negative. However, they did test me for L64 and Morley said that was negative. So I checked the rs-id, which I got from the Isogg tree, for L64 against 23andme raw data....it was negative/ancestral 'C'. This might account for why 23andme and Morley couldn't place me any lower than I-M253, as I'm supposed to be positive for all phyloequivalents of I-M253 to be DF29 or lower. Of course it could be that 23andme's raw data for L64 is wrong. I guess only further testing will decide the issue, so I will take the I1 Superclade Panel with YSEQ soon.

Level
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 67

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grisdale View Post
    Hi Spruithean 23and me didn't test me for DF29 so I cannot say whether that was positive or negative. However, they did test me for L64 and Morley said that was negative. So I checked the rs-id, which I got from the Isogg tree, for L64 against 23andme raw data....it was negative/ancestral 'C'. This might account for why 23andme and Morley couldn't place me any lower than I-M253, as I'm supposed to be positive for all phyloequivalents of I-M253 to be DF29 or lower. Of course it could be that 23andme's raw data for L64 is wrong. I guess only further testing will decide the issue, so I will take the I1 Superclade Panel with YSEQ soon.
    Just purchased YSEQ Superclade Panel. Will post results when available

Veteran5000 Experience PointsThree Friends
    Level
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 69
    Overall activity: 64.0%

Quote Originally Posted by Grisdale View Post
    Just purchased YSEQ Superclade Panel. Will post results when available
    It'll be interesting if you turn out DF29-, perhaps positive for some of the other downstream SNPs of M253, like Z131 (I1b) or Z17925 (I1c).