Any DNA studies on the Greko and Griko of Calabria and Puglia respectively?

From the first referenced paper:
While Albanian-speaking Arbereshe trace their recent genetic ancestry to the Southern Balkans, the Greek-speaking communities of both Apulia (Griko) and Calabria (Grecani) show no clear signs of a recent (i.e. from the late Middle Ages) continental Greek origin, instead resembling the ‘continuum’ populations of Southern Italy and the Greek-speaking islands (Fig. 3, Supplementary Table S5, Supplementary Fig. S7, Supplementary Information).

I would probably understand a lot more of the Greek dialects of the Salento and Calabria Greeks if I saw it written, for example the lyrics of their songs.
There was a music group that sang in Greko.

Kalinifta with Text:

Another clear version of Kalinifta:

Kalinifta:
Ti en glicea tusi nifta, ti en òria,
c’evò ‘e plonno pensèonta ‘s esena,
c’ettumpì sti’ fenèstrassu, agàpimu,
tis kardìammu su nifto ti’ pena.
Evò panta ‘s esena penseo,
jatì ‘sena, fsichimmu gapò,
ce pu pao, pu sirno, pu steo,
sti’ kardia panta ‘sena vastò.
C’esù mai de’ m’agàpise, òriamu,
‘e su pònise mai pus emena;
mai citt’òria chìlisu ‘en ènifse,
na mu pi loja agapi vloimena!
Itt’ammàissu to mago, o gliceo,
‘en ghelà mai ja mena o ftechò,
mentre evò ‘cì pu sirno, pu steo,
T’asteràcia pu panu me vlèpune
ce mo fengo krifizzu’ nomena
ce jelù’ ce mu lèune: ston ànemo
ta traùdia pelìs, i’ chamena.
Ma ta jèjato evò ‘en ekkiteo
ce sta lòjato ‘en vaddho skupò
jatì panta ‘s esena penso
Ma ‘su plonni, teleste, ce ‘s ìpuno
ste torì cino pu e’ gapimeno
ti jelonta filì t’ammadàciasu
ce se ‘ssifti sto’ pèttottu, ohimmena!
Kalì nifta, se finno ce feo,
plaja ‘su, ti ‘vò pirta prikò,
ma pu pao, pu sirno, pu steo,

————-

Buonanotte
:
Com’è dolce questa notte, com’è bella e io non dormo pensando a te e qui dietro alla tua finestra, amore mio, del mio cuore ti apro le
————

Good Night:

How sweet and nice is this night,
and I am lying down thinking about you
and outside from your window
I am giving you the pain of my heart

Kalinifta with Text:

Another clear version of Kalinifta:

Kalinifta:
Ti en glicea tusi nifta, ti en òria,
c’evò ‘e plonno pensèonta ‘s esena,
c’ettumpì sti’ fenèstrassu, agàpimu,
tis kardìammu su nifto ti’ pena.
Evò panta ‘s esena penseo,
jatì ‘sena, fsichimmu gapò,
ce pu pao, pu sirno, pu steo,
C’esù mai de’ m’agàpise, òriamu,
‘e su pònise mai pus emena;
mai citt’òria chìlisu ‘en ènifse,
na mu pi loja agapi vloimena!
Itt’ammàissu to mago, o gliceo,
‘en ghelà mai ja mena o ftechò,
mentre evò ‘cì pu sirno, pu steo,
T’asteràcia pu panu me vlèpune
ce mo fengo krifizzu’ nomena
ce jelù’ ce mu lèune: ston ànemo
ta traùdia pelìs, i’ chamena.
Ma ta jèjato evò ‘en ekkiteo
ce sta lòjato ‘en vaddho skupò
jatì panta ‘s esena penso
Ma ‘su plonni, teleste, ce ‘s ìpuno
ste torì cino pu e’ gapimeno
ti jelonta filì t’ammadàciasu
ce se ‘ssifti sto’ pèttottu, ohimmena!
Kalì nifta, se finno ce feo,
plaja ‘su, ti ‘vò pirta prikò,
ma pu pao, pu sirno, pu steo,

————-

Buonanotte
:
Com’è dolce questa notte, com’è bella e io non dormo pensando a te e qui dietro alla tua finestra, amore mio, del mio cuore ti apro le
————

Good Night:

How sweet and nice is this night,
and I am lying down thinking about you
and outside from your window
I am giving you the pain of my heart

I will need to consult somebody that knows both languages.

Greek transliteration:

Τι εν γλυτσέα τούση νύφτα τι εν ωρια
τσ εβώ ε πλώνω πενσέοντα σ εσένα
τσ ετου μπει στη φενέστρα σου αγαπη μου
της καρδίας μου σου νοίφτω τη πένα

Λαλαλα λαλαλερο

Εβω παντα σ εσενα πενσεω
γιατί σένα φσυχή μου γαπω
τσαι που παω που σύρνω που στέω
στη καρδία μου πάντα σενα βαστω

Λαλαλα λαλα λερο

Καληνυφτα σε φηνω τσαι παω
πλάια σου τι βω πίρτα πρικό
τσαι που παω που συρνω που στεω
στη καρδία μου πάντα σενα βαστώ

Modern Greek translation:

Τι γλυκιά είναι τούτη η νύχτα, τι ωραία
και γώ ξαγρυπνώ και σε σκέφτομαι
και κάτω από το παραθύρι σου, αγάπη μου,
της καρδιας μου σου βγάζω τον πόνο

Λαλαλα λαλα λερο…

Εγώ σε σκέφτομαι πάντα
γιατί σένα, ψυχή μου, αγαπώ
και οπού κι αν πάω, που φεύγω, που στέκομαι
στην καρδιά μου πάντα σένα βαστώ

Λαλαλα λαλα λερο…

Καληνύχτα σε αφήνω και φεύγω
Κοιμήσου συ και εγώ πάω θλιμμένος
και οπού κι αν πάω, που φεύγω, που στέκομαι
στην καρδιά μου πάντα σένα βαστώ

English translation:

How sweet is this night, how beautiful
And I am staying awake thinking of you
And underneath your window, my love
I pour out the pain in my heart

La, la, la, la la, lero

I am always thinking of you
because you, my soul, I love
And wherever I go, wherever I leave, wherever I stay
In my heart, always, I hold you

La, la, la, la la, lero

Goodnight, I leave you and go
You sleep and I will go (away) sad
And wherever I go, wherever I leave, wherever I stay
In my heart, always, I hold you

I am sorry, my poetic skills are not as good as they used to be.
:sad-2:

S Italy was colonised 5 times by Greeks or Greco-Romans
while rest of Italy was 3 times, some parts.

1rst the known ancient Colonization the Magna Grecia

2nd is the Medieval, which included also Balcanic populations, and East Romans, the era of Slavic invasions and collapse of Danube line
Aspromonte and Galliciano is from that case

3rd is the Era of Constantinoupolis collapse starting Before 1400 AD till the stabilization, Even Greeks From Crimaia and Trebizon fled to West,
the Era of marriage a princess and gain a title of nobility, Offcourse that did include only Greeks, but also other Balcanic and minor Asian population, even in Mantova, and more North we find Byzantine devastations

4rth is the era of Enetocracy, when parts of Greco-Roman ex empire were hold by Vemice and Genoua, offcourse that was also the oposite, many Italians came to Greece as rulers, officers etc etc
That is also the era of original Arberesh of Hora in Sicily , Santo Demetrio etc, the era when Greco-Roman army was mercenairy, the Era that in Venice was the St Giorgio dei Stradioti,

5fth
is the era before big revolt, the era of Piracy etc, the era of Orlov etc,
lots of famillies or villages moved to Italy and West Europe to avoid revenge penalties, inner revenge and vendettas, Ottoman revenge and Turk-Albanian chase.
an example is the Carghiese in Corsica from Καρυες (Καρυουπολις) and the Mondestre in Sardinia,

Some families of the last 3 cases have returned at Hellas (now) at 1821 and after, some played semantic role in Greek revolt and rebirth,
but majority remained back, as some Italian remained in their Aegean colonies

the termination of Greek speaker in Italy and mainly in South,
can not only determined by the ancient Greek colonisation only, which is still the main factor as concerning area spread,
but spoted could also be the one we call Greco-Roman and East Roman which includes also elements from rest of Balkans and minor Asia, or other areas that cover that time,

So when we say Grico, Grecani etc in Italy it has to do with consious of nationality and nativity
a real Grico is 2700 years Greek and 100 years Italian, YET long time native in Italy.
for him the memories are different, than the one who moved aafter 1400 AD

I will need to consult somebody that knows both languages.

I speak both Greek and Italian. I can understand most of the lyrics but not every word. The base of this language is Greek but not modern Greek. In addition the Italian elements are not from the standard Italian but from southern Italian dialects. It's impressing how they combine these elements. For example it says penseonta. It means thinking. It is from the Italian verb pensare and the Greek ending ontas (skeftontas).

S Italy was colonised 5 times by Greeks or Greco-Romans
while rest of Italy was 3 times, some parts.

1rst the known ancient Colonization the Magna Grecia

2nd is the Medieval, which included also Balcanic populations, and East Romans, the era of Slavic invasions and collapse of Danube line
Aspromonte and Galliciano is from that case

3rd is the Era of Constantinoupolis collapse starting Before 1400 AD till the stabilization, Even Greeks From Crimaia and Trebizon fled to West,
the Era of marriage a princess and gain a title of nobility, Offcourse that did include only Greeks, but also other Balcanic and minor Asian population, even in Mantova, and more North we find Byzantine devastations

4rth is the era of Enetocracy, when parts of Greco-Roman ex empire were hold by Vemice and Genoua, offcourse that was also the oposite, many Italians came to Greece as rulers, officers etc etc
That is also the era of original Arberesh of Hora in Sicily , Santo Demetrio etc, the era when Greco-Roman army was mercenairy, the Era that in Venice was the St Giorgio dei Stradioti,

5fth
is the era before big revolt, the era of Piracy etc, the era of Orlov etc,
lots of famillies or villages moved to Italy and West Europe to avoid revenge penalties, inner revenge and vendettas, Ottoman revenge and Turk-Albanian chase.
an example is the Carghiese in Corsica from Καρυες (Καρυουπολις) and the Mondestre in Sardinia,

Some families of the last 3 cases have returned at Hellas (now) at 1821 and after, some played semantic role in Greek revolt and rebirth,
but majority remained back, as some Italian remained in their Aegean colonies

So as Salento pointed,
the termination of Greek speaker in Italy and mainly in South,
can not only determined by the ancient Greek colonisation only, which is still the main factor as concerning area spread,
but spoted could also be the one we call Greco-Roman and East Roman which includes also elements from rest of Balkans and minor Asia, or other areas that cover that time,

So when we say Grico, Grecani etc in Italy it has to do with consious of nationality and nativity
a real Grico is 2700 years Greek and 100 years Italian, long time native in Italy.
for him the memories are different, than the one who moved aafter 1400 AD

The thing is, unlike the Arbereshe, the vast majority have no cultural memory of "arrival", which leads me to believe they're probably just southern Italians who held onto the Greek language and Orthodoxy longer than the others. After all, Italian was an interlude of about 500 years between Magna Graecia and the Byzantine Empire .

Other than the migrations of Magna Graecia you're not talking about mass migrations, at least I've never seen reports of numbers like that, so while they may have had an impact, they weren't major.

I speak both Greek and Italian. I can understand most of the lyrics but not every word. The base of this language is Greek but not modern Greek. In addition the Italian elements are not from the standard Italian but from southern Italian dialects. It's impressing how they combine these elements. For example it says penseonta. It means thinking. It is from the Italian verb pensare and the Greek ending ontas (skeftontas).

Very interesting.

I can say that from my husband's family history as well as academic sources, much bigger swathes of Calabria were "Greek" speaking until two hundred years or so ago.

Very interesting.

I can say that from my husband's family history as well as academic sources, much bigger swathes of Calabria were "Greek" speaking until two hundred years or so ago.
At the documentary you posted a man says that in Salento before the second world war everyone was speaking Griko. It is similar to the dialect of Ionian islands who were influenced by Venetians but more "Italian-shifted". It's a very interesting culture and many of these people carry still Byzantine surnames. A Calabrian told me once that my surname is diffused in this area.

At the documentary you posted a man says that in Salento before the second world war everyone was speaking Griko. It is similar to the dialect of Ionian islands who were influenced by Venetians but more "Italian-shifted". It's a very interesting culture and many of these people carry still Byzantine surnames. A Calabrian told me once that my surname is diffused in this area.

If that's true, then the Greek part of the language may stem from the language of the Byzantine administrators, because it was a Doric language which was spoken there during the time of Magna Graecia.

In Calabria, on the other hand, you do have some Ionic speakers originally.

We don't know, however, if one dialect eventually spread throughout Magna Graecia, or at least "I" don't.

If that's true, then the Greek part of the language may stem from the language of the Byzantine administrators, because it was a Doric language which was spoken there during the time of Magna Graecia.

In Calabria, on the other hand, you do have some Ionic speakers originally.

We don't know, however, if one dialect eventually spread throughout Magna Graecia, or at least "I" don't.

It is not clear yet. There are different suggestions about the origin of these dialects. In my opinion the best explanation is that the dialects of Magna Grecia were enriched by some Greek medieval elements during the Byzantine era.

It is not clear yet. There are different suggestions about the origin of these dialects. In my opinion the best explanation is that the dialects of Magna Grecia were enriched by some Greek medieval elements during the Byzantine era.

That seems very logical to me.

It does sound like the Ionian islands dialects but I also hear Cretan and Aegean island dialects.

The thing is, unlike the Arbereshe, the vast majority have no cultural memory of "arrival", which leads me to believe they're probably just southern Italians who held onto the Greek language and Orthodoxy longer than the others. After all, Italian was an interlude of about 500 years between Magna Graecia and the Byzantine Empire .

Other than the migrations of Magna Graecia you're not talking about mass migrations, at least I've never seen reports of numbers like that, so while they may have had an impact, they weren't major.

I was clear. before we agree notice this

Yes the major devastation was the 1rst one,
and not the numbers some imagine, but they made a new culture there,
the second Bigest was the collapse of Constantinoupolis, not only Italy, but every where, even Russia.
but that was a discrace devastation, mainly of elite, and resist ones, nobody who devastate wants to remember it.
Santa Sofia (Athena godess in fathers religion) churches after 1350 is a memmory, don't you think?
the old culture absorved the newcomers, who wanted to forget.

There is a lot of Koine than ancient Doric or Ionian if you know Greek,
which justifies newcomers mix with the old ones,
as also the C 'ts' instead of K shows much Italo/latin influence,

as i said 2800 years Italian native some, yet 2700 years Greek
But some are less than 600 years native, due to Koine Greek dialect.

It does sound like the Ionian islands dialects but I also hear Cretan and Aegean island dialects.
Yes it is true. I had watched these documentaries with a Cypriot who told me this dialect reminds him somehow the Cypriot dialect. But maybe it is just the accent.

On some of the comments on the posted videos, Cypriot Greeks claim that some of the words sound like the Cypriot dialect of Greek.

Also from the comments:

Hearing Calabrian Greek spoken in the villages of Gallicianò and Bova. For those who speak Greek, I didn't find it to be ancient or Doric sounding at all. There are some words that certainly are old ("outhe" for "no", "chloro" for the color green, "anthos" for flower, "platego" for "to speak" which probably comes from "politeuo" (πολιτευω) which means "to act like a citizen/speak in a public forum" etc.). But it basically sounds like Italianized modern Greek with some ancient words.There appear to be no theta, gamma, or delta sounds evidencing Latin/Italian influence. Anything beginning with a "kappa" is pronounced with a "che" rather than a hard c sound like modern Greek. Hence you hear "che" for "and" instead of kai (και). The "ψ" is inverted. Rather than a "ps" sound in modern Greek, Calabrian Greek say "sp." Hence, the modern Greek word "psyche" (ψυχή) is pronounced "spyche." Also all "chi" ("Χ") and "xi"sounds ("Ξ") seem pronounced like "sh" which is common in modern Italian.I suspect they speak a dialect more closely related to the Koine Greek spoken at the time of the 11th century Byzantine Empire, the last and final time Southern Italy was still part of the Greek speaking world. What's interesting is that they have no Turkish loan words which modern Greek has such as tzami for "glass" among others (they call it "vitro" which is Italian) which make sense given the Ottomans never conquered the region. Overall, most modern Greek speakers should understand it pretty thoroughly.

Maybe the man meant that everyone spoke Griko in his Town.

I assure you, in Salento the vast majority of the people did not speak Griko before ww2.

Only 10-11 small Towns have a connection with the Griko.
There are 97 Towns in the Province of Lecce alone, going over 100 by adding part of Brindisi and Taranto.

The Towns belonging to Grecìa Salentina are in Red and Green.

380px-Mappa_dei_comuni_della_Grecia_Salentina.svg.png

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grecìa_Salentina

I am curious to see the gedmatch results of these people.

This thread has been viewed 51436 times.

Back