West European Bronze Age

Pip

Banned
Reaction score
My best-fit calculations estimate major contributions of El Portalon-like aDNA to modern Spain (especially the Basque country); significant contributions of it to modern Britain; smaller contributions to Chalcolithic & Bronze Age Portugal, modern France and late Bronze Age Sweden; but no such contributions to Central European Bell Beaker, Corded Ware or early Bronze Age Ireland.

Could this be an indicator of a people spreading northwards from Iberia along the Western European seaboard fairly late on (post-1,600 BC)? Does anyone have any information that might help explain this?

I have not special clues. But is not this "contribution" a mix of pre- & post-El-Portalon elements? This question complicates the research of dates, I suppose. This apart, we have the famous Atlantic Bronze period which covers maybe your post-1600 BC period. Even if demic exchanges are not at the same level as the trade exchanges, they could have had some input.

I have not special clues. But is not this "contribution" a mix of pre- & post-El-Portalon elements? This question complicates the research of dates, I suppose. This apart, we have the famous Atlantic Bronze period which covers maybe your post-1600 BC period. Even if demic exchanges are not at the same level as the trade exchanges, they could have had some input.
Yes, it is a mix of elements. I couldn't find traces of this mix in the early Irish Bronze Age samples 1,950 to 1,635 BC (which fit better with a straightforward BB/CW mix), but they seem to be present in Sweden by around 1,360 BC, and to a greater degree in modern British samples.

This thread has been viewed 6489 times.

Back