Hittite, Luwic and Palaic people. What was their Y-dna?

Piro Ilir

Reaction score
What was the Y-dna of Anatolian IE people? What do you think? My guess is that it would be R1b-PF7562. This subglade split off from its sister L23 during the early bronze age. This correlate with the linguistic study over IE languages we have until today. This makes IE homeland somewhere in Caucasus , northern or southern whether. If I remember well there are genetic studies over the IE-Anatolians which show no genetic affinities with EEHG nomads. The contrary is shown in other IE branches. This will make R1b the original IE speakers, while the R1a needs an explanation how it got assimilated into IE linguistic world.

I think the R1b explained history in Eupedia is wrong about R1b-Z2103. It has a Balkanic origin, and probably moved in Anatolia during the end of the bronze age circa 1200 bce with the so-called sea peoples.

I find it unlikely that it will be anything but the same old J & G that was already found, but we'll see.

I find it unlikely that it will be anything but the same old J & G that was already found, but we'll see.

Do you have any source or link about Hittites Y-dna? Did they found anything yet? As long as they were speakers of a very old IE language, I presumed that the Y-dna R1b was one of the main lineages among them. I pointed to the old PF7562.

Do you have any source or link about Hittites Y-dna? Did they found anything yet? As long as they were speakers of a very old IE language, I presumed that the Y-dna R1b was one of the main lineages among them. I pointed to the old PF7562.

This paper had samples from Kalehöyük, one of the major Hittite sites after Hattusa:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6396/eaar7711

3x J2a, 1x G2a

The Greek paper had samples from Gondürle Hoyük, another major site which is a bit more western. The male was J1.

What was the Y-dna of Anatolian IE people? What do you think? My guess is that it would be R1b-PF7562. This subglade split off from its sister L23 during the early bronze age. This correlate with the linguistic study over IE languages we have until today. This makes IE homeland somewhere in Caucasus , northern or southern whether. If I remember well there are genetic studies over the IE-Anatolians which show no genetic affinities with EEHG nomads. The contrary is shown in other IE branches. This will make R1b the original IE speakers, while the R1a needs an explanation how it got assimilated into IE linguistic world.

they had every haplogroup that was already in europe found from neolithic times................these are H, R, T, G, I, E and others

I think the R1b explained history in Eupedia is wrong about R1b-Z2103. It has a Balkanic origin, and probably moved in Anatolia during the end of the bronze age circa 1200 bce with the so-called sea peoples.

R1b-Z2103 was the foremost Y-DNA haplogroup of the Yamnaya culture (at least its core settlements), it was already found even earlier in the Late Khvalynsk culture. So, I doubt its origin is Balkanic, or at least the specific group of Z2103 males that expanded to several other areas.

As for the thread's main question, I find it very unlikely that the Hittites and other Anatolian IE speakers of the Middle-Late Bronze Age, with the cultures and states they are associated with (I stress that because I do not mean the Proto-Anatolian Indo-Europeans and other intermediary populations), belonged to just one or two major haplogroups. I also do not believe they were still mostly of Proto-Anatolian origin, quite on the contrary, I think the evidences point to a linguistic shift caused by elite dominance. So, I expect them to have a lot of J2a, perhaps some G2a, J1, G2b, J2B, R1b, even L (considering it was present in the neighbnoring Transcaucasia in the Early BA). I don't think their early ancestors replaced the local paternal lineages much, instead they absorbed many populations along the way and were probably not mostly "PIE-like" when they consolidated their Anatolian IE languages.

Now, if you ask me what I think the major Y-DNA lineages of the Proto-Anatolian IE speakers were, since I still think it's more likely that they were somehow related to the Suvorovo-Novodanilovka expansion into the Balkans, I presume mostly R1b-M269 (Z2103? Probably) as well as I2 and G2 absorbed from EEF people... but anyone who's honest will tell you that we all just don't know, we can just conjecture. I think you may be onto something with the R1b-PF7562 assumption, it may even be ultimately wrong, but it sounds at least plausible.

Not true, because it's of the West Asian variety. I would associate it with the Hattic-Kaskian branch.

I now believe in a hybrid Anatolian hypothesis, by the way, with LPIE spreading to Sredny Stog with C-T (Urheimat in Central Anatolia, same area as the very old Catalhoyuk on the Konya plain and basically the bulk source of Danubian farmers in Europe). It explains so much, from the very early similarity with Kartvelian (presumably a Halafian East Anatolian variety that spread to Leyla Tepe and then Maykop) to the lack of a word for wheel and axle. I also think Steppe L23 didn't speak IE but a Dene-Caucasian language, perhaps literally proto-Dene-Caucasian. So, Yamnaya speaking Dene-Caucasian and Corded Ware speaking Indo-European. The main difficulties with the former (nobody doubts the latter, except for Carlos from indo-european.eu) are the Sino-Tibetan and Dene-Yeniseian language families. The former can be explained by Afanasievo (also true for Yeniseian), the Na-Dene part of the latter can be explained more controversially by a crossing of the Bering strait (can be seen by similarities between Nivkh and the rest of the Almosan language family, as well as of course that infamous North American R1b and also copper working suddenly appearing out of nowhere as part of the Old Copper Complex). North Caucasian language family would be K-A/Trialetian derived, itself with probable Yamnaya elements as shown by Eurogenes and others. Vasconic is obviously explained by this theory too, and Burushaski is the remainder.

R1b-Z2103 was the foremost Y-DNA haplogroup of the Yamnaya culture (at least its core settlements), it was already found even earlier in the Late Khvalynsk culture. So, I doubt its origin is Balkanic, or at least the specific group of Z2103 males that expanded to several other areas.

As for the thread's main question, I find it very unlikely that the Hittites and other Anatolian IE speakers of the Middle-Late Bronze Age, with the cultures and states they are associated with (I stress that because I do not mean the Proto-Anatolian Indo-Europeans and other intermediary populations), belonged to just one or two major haplogroups. I also do not believe they were still mostly of Proto-Anatolian origin, quite on the contrary, I think the evidences point to a linguistic shift caused by elite dominance. So, I expect them to have a lot of J2a, perhaps some G2a, J1, G2b, J2B, R1b, even L (considering it was present in the neighbnoring Transcaucasia in the Early BA). I don't think their early ancestors replaced the local paternal lineages much, instead they absorbed many populations along the way and were probably not mostly "PIE-like" when they consolidated their Anatolian IE languages.

Now, if you ask me what I think the major Y-DNA lineages of the Proto-Anatolian IE speakers were, since I still think it's more likely that they were somehow related to the Suvorovo-Novodanilovka expansion into the Balkans, I presume mostly R1b-M269 (Z2103? Probably) as well as I2 and G2 absorbed from EEF people... but anyone who's honest will tell you that we all just don't know, we can just conjecture. I think you may be onto something with the R1b-PF7562 assumption, it may even be ultimately wrong, but it sounds at least plausible.

On your first paragraph, I think you got me a bit wrong here. My point about Z2103 was that all Z2103 prezent today in Anatolia and Armenia is due to the migration of people from Balkans during the end of Bronze age circa 1200, recorded as sea peoples, aka 'Mushki , Phrygians, and even possibly partly Lydians. I know that Z2103 originated in Steppes, and we have found one from current northern Serbia circa old 2775 bce. I found a bit difficult that Z2103 was the Hittite R1b glade.

My best candidate would be PF7562 because it split earlier from the L23. This coincide with the linguistic studies on Anatolian language. It did split from its mother language long before the rest of other IE languages. Looks like the best candidate for Hittites homeland would be Maykop culture. Maykop culture was the oldest known bronze age society, but not part of Yanmaya steppe world. This makes R1b- M297 the true proto proto IE people. Another thing important is that Anatolians hadn't any steppe autosomal heritage, which point further more for the Maikop's homeland.

they had every haplogroup that was already in europe found from neolithic times................these are H, R, T, G, I, E and others

Probably true. I know. My guess is what was the IE Y-dna of them. They were IE people and their ruling class should have been R1b-PF7562. This glade split earlier from other branches, soon after 4000 bce. It is the perfect candidate for the ruling class of Anatolia during the bronze age. The rest of Y-dna there probably were just subjugated by IE ruling class, as slaves and working class.

Not true, because it's of the West Asian variety. I would associate it with the Hattic-Kaskian branch.

I now believe in a hybrid Anatolian hypothesis, by the way, with LPIE spreading to Sredny Stog with C-T (Urheimat in Central Anatolia, same area as the very old Catalhoyuk on the Konya plain and basically the bulk source of Danubian farmers in Europe). It explains so much, from the very early similarity with Kartvelian (presumably a Halafian East Anatolian variety that spread to Leyla Tepe and then Maykop) to the lack of a word for wheel and axle. I also think Steppe L23 didn't speak IE but a Dene-Caucasian language, perhaps literally proto-Dene-Caucasian. So, Yamnaya speaking Dene-Caucasian and Corded Ware speaking Indo-European. The main difficulties with the former (nobody doubts the latter, except for Carlos from indo-european.eu) are the Sino-Tibetan and Dene-Yeniseian language families. The former can be explained by Afanasievo (also true for Yeniseian), the Na-Dene part of the latter can be explained more controversially by a crossing of the Bering strait (can be seen by similarities between Nivkh and the rest of the Almosan language family, as well as of course that infamous North American R1b and also copper working suddenly appearing out of nowhere as part of the Old Copper Complex). North Caucasian language family would be K-A/Trialetian derived, itself with probable Yamnaya elements as shown by Eurogenes and others. Vasconic is obviously explained by this theory too, and Burushaski is the remainder.

I thought the same about Kaskian, but I think Z2103 in Anatolia has a late bronze age origin which came via Balkans with the so called sea peoples, whose part were the Armenians too, 1200 bce. At this time we have a large mass of intrusion into Anatolia, which caused the crumble of Hittite hegemony over Anatolia.

As for Basques, I think it is explained well till today. Their Y-dna is irrelevant. Autosomal component is strongly autochtonous there. Don't underestimate the importance of mt-dna. Our mothers are important too, especially at these Neolithic farmers of Iberia.

This paper had samples from Kalehöyük, one of the major Hittite sites after Hattusa:

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/360/6396/eaar7711

3x J2a, 1x G2a

The Greek paper had samples from Gondürle Hoyük, another major site which is a bit more western. The male was J1.

Thank you for your post. Anyway, my thread here is about the Hittites ruling class. They were IE speakers, hence they most have been at least a minority of R1 people. The rest of haplos are irrelevant. They probably were just enslaved or exploited by the IE warrior elite. Just remember the bronze age society which was based in the so called, palace economy.

Asko Parpola believes that the language of the Botai culture cannot be conclusively identified with any known language or language family. He speculatively suggests that the Proto-Ugric word *lox for "horse", (reconstructed on the basis of Hungarian ló, Mansi lū and Khanty law, all meaning "horse"), which is neither of Uralic nor Indo-European origin, nor it does closely resemble any of the words for "horse" from known Eurasian language families, is a borrowing from the language of the Botai culture. Compare Ket qɨ̄ĺa, Yugh χɨ̄ĺa, and Kottish harā, all of which derive from Proto-Yeniseian *χVr-, meaning “quick”. Note that there are no Proto-Uralic words which end in *r, and that *x never occurs in word-initial position.

In my opinion R1a people weren't originally IE, but their language was a different one. The original language of R1a people got lost forever. They were probably the first horse riders. Then it was passed into the R1b tribes of southern Yanmaya (R1b-L23) and Maykop (R1b-PF7562).

Thank you for your post. Anyway, my thread here is about the Hittites ruling class. They were IE speakers, hence they most have been at least a minority of R1 people. The rest of haplos are irrelevant. They probably were just enslaved or exploited by the IE warrior elite. Just remember the bronze age society which was based in the so called, palace economy.

This is wishful thinking. Read the Iberia paper.

No R1b in high status Maykop graves either, just J, G & L.

I thought the same about Kaskian, but I think Z2103 in Anatolia has a late bronze age origin which came via Balkans with the so called sea peoples, whose part were the Armenians too, 1200 bce. At this time we have a large mass of intrusion into Anatolia, which caused the crumble of Hittite hegemony over Anatolia.

As for Basques, I think it is explained well till today. Their Y-dna is irrelevant. Autosomal component is strongly autochtonous there. Don't underestimate the importance of mt-dna. Our mothers are important too, especially at these Neolithic farmers of Iberia.

But you're wrong. Anatolian Z2103 is far older than that, and it spread from the Caucasus as it is the West Asian variety. Your theory is wrong, so show some flexibility in changing it. There's no shame, I've changed a theory I held for a long time and was pretty confident in after the Maykop paper. The Anatolian Z2103 may have expanded in the Bronze Age, but it still goes back to that variety which spread south from the Steppe through the Caucasus mountain range.

I can't help but think that somehow you're going to relate this back to being Albanian too

I can't help but think that somehow you're going to relate this back to being Albanian too

R1b-PF7562.JPG

I agree, I think it is possible:

pUMUsTg.png

If he did relate this haplogroup to albanians it would not be wrong of him. Albanians have one of the highest, if not the highest, percentages of this specific haplogroup, just in the same way as many other ethnicities have haplogroups that are more common in their group than in other groups. Nothing special or extraordinary there. He has every right to bring up theories about, or be more interested in, the haplogroups that he relates to the most.
If you disagree with his theories, you have every right to point out the flaws, but stop radiating these albanophobic sentiments everytime you see albanians posting something in here.

Amazing isn't it? First they have to prove they are actually the heirs to the Illyrians and not some small group from Dacia or Pannonia displaced by the either the Slavs or Avars.

This thread has been viewed 19577 times.

Back