Byzantine structures in Hagia Sofia

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:
https://www.archaeology.org/news/7619-190429-istanbul-hagia-sophia

"STANBUL, TURKEY—According to a Live Sciencereport, researchers led by Ken Dark of the University of Reading and Jan Kostenec of the Czech National Committee of Byzantine Studies have found traces of Byzantine-era structures on the grounds of Istanbul’s Hagia Sophia, first constructed as a Christian cathedral by the emperor Justinian I in the sixth century A.D. Team members uncovered a white marble courtyard they say surrounded the original cathedral, and a library that may have held thousands of scrolls under a structure now known as the large hall. The researchers suggest they have also found the remains of the Great Baptistery, where the children of emperors were baptized. Evidence that the building’s northwest vestibule was built in the sixth century, and not during the rule of the Ottoman Empire, as had been previously believed, has also been uncovered. “The discovery of such a large ‘new’ part of Justinian’s church of Hagia Sophia is unprecedented in recent decades … and alters significantly the known plan of that world-famous building,” Dark said. In the structure’s northeast vestibule, the excavation revealed a disc-shaped piece of purple stone called porphyry embedded in the original sixth-century floor. It may mark the spot where the emperor stood for ceremonies and liturgies. “As such, it is probably the only place where it is possible to identify anywhere the precise spot on which Justinian, the most famous Byzantine emperor, stood,” Dark said."

hagiaout.jpg

istanbul-hagia-sophia-interior-1.jpg

well
for architeructal reasons only and as Engineer,

the amazing we still do not find are the basements.

Unserneath few decades before Turk archaiologist found unbelivable things,
I remember oncey found carpets which come from 5 centuries back,
an unbelievable network of shewers, water circulation, corridors, etc

28_depths_of_hagia_sophia.jpg

underground-tunnels-hagia-sophia-547x400.jpg

38_tunnels-of-hagia-sophia.jpg

the underneath

hagia_sophia3.jpg

Yedin at 2009 post that they found part of the underneath networks,

the foundations and the shewers system is typical of that of late Roman cities, with water tanks hidden underneath surface.

Turk Göksel Gülensoy in his work writes and shows
Found the tomb of saint Antigonos when the mention of him was at 13 Century AD, underneath,
beneath-the-hagia-sophia-team.jpg

the βασιλικη Κινστερνα, Yerebatan Saray, Basilica Cinstern

a water tank of 8 meters high, more than 140x45 m diemnsion
was more a palace than a water tank.

3AEF15C73E0186A089B40D8C57B56EE8.jpg

Medusa_Basilica_Cistern1.jpg

I have been more then twenty times in it, but I discovered this in the last visit
View attachment 10990

This thread has been viewed 3927 times.

Back