Addictions Effects of cannabis use in adolescence

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
See:

"[h=1]Association of Cannabis Use in Adolescence and Risk of Depression, Anxiety, and Suicidality in Young AdulthoodA Systematic Review and Meta-analysis"[/h]
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/ja...l&hootPostID=946582fb907865abbf7e31d0795a3c09

"[FONT=&quot]Abstract[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Importance Cannabis is the most commonly used drug of abuse by adolescents in the world. While the impact of adolescent cannabis use on the development of psychosis has been investigated in depth, little is known about the impact of cannabis use on mood and suicidality in young adulthood.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Objective To provide a summary estimate of the extent to which cannabis use during adolescence is associated with the risk of developing subsequent major depression, anxiety, and suicidal behavior.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Data Sources Medline, Embase, CINAHL, PsycInfo, and Proquest Dissertations and Theses were searched from inception to January 2017.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Study Selection Longitudinal and prospective studies, assessing cannabis use in adolescents younger than 18 years (at least 1 assessment point) and then ascertaining development of depression in young adulthood (age 18 to 32 years) were selected, and odds ratios (OR) adjusted for the presence of baseline depression and/or anxiety and/or suicidality were extracted.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Data Extraction and Synthesis Study quality was assessed using the Research Triangle Institute item bank on risk of bias and precision of observational studies. Two reviewers conducted all review stages independently. Selected data were pooled using random-effects meta-analysis.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Main Outcomes and Measures The studies assessing cannabis use and depression at different points from adolescence to young adulthood and reporting the corresponding OR were included. In the studies selected, depression was diagnosed according to the third or fourth editions of Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders or by using scales with predetermined cutoff points.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Results After screening 3142 articles, 269 articles were selected for full-text review, 35 were selected for further review, and 11 studies comprising 23 317 individuals were included in the quantitative analysis. The OR of developing depression for cannabis users in young adulthood compared with nonusers was 1.37 (95% CI, 1.16-1.62; I2 = 0%). The pooled OR for anxiety was not statistically significant: 1.18 (95% CI, 0.84-1.67; I2 = 42%). The pooled OR for suicidal ideation was 1.50 (95% CI, 1.11-2.03; I2 = 0%), and for suicidal attempt was 3.46 (95% CI, 1.53-7.84, I2 = 61.3%).[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Conclusions and Relevance Although individual-level risk remains moderate to low and results from this study should be confirmed in future adequately powered prospective studies, the high prevalence of adolescents consuming cannabis generates a large number of young people who could develop depression and suicidality attributable to cannabis. This is an important public health problem and concern, which should be properly addressed by health care policy."[/FONT]

I am very opposed to the abuse of marijuana. Cannabis is very harmful to adolescents. Every year, a considerable number of young people are on the road to crimes by smoking marijuana.
View attachment 11119
source

Study Selection Longitudinal and prospective studies, assessing cannabis use in adolescents younger than 18 years (at least 1 assessment point) and then ascertaining development of depression in young adulthood (age 18 to 32 years) were selected, and odds ratios (OR) adjusted for the presence of baseline depression and/or anxiety and/or suicidality were extracted.
Post hoc ergo proptor hoc. The kind of person turned on to marijuana is less socialized to behavioral norms and values, less disciplined, less purposeful, and less industrious. Knowing many adolescent potheads I find it very hard to imagine that these people are not heavily prone to depression and suicide before they even know what marijuana smells like.

results from this study should be confirmed in future adequately powered prospective studies
It's definitely a relief to know that psychologists are finally paying lip service to the file drawer problem and moving towards addressing problems like those I mentioned above. There may indeed be some pathway by which adolescent marijuana use causes suicidality, depression, and (as other studies suggest) future schizophrenia, and it would be worth knowing if that were indeed the case.

As a guy who started smoking weed at 13 years old and only stopped at 26, about a year back. I can say its mostly true for me. But i would say it's mostly a trigger on already established familial or environnemental problems.

As a guy who started smoking weed at 13 years old and only stopped at 26, about a year back. I can say its mostly true for me. But i would say it's mostly a trigger on already established familial or environnemental problems.

I think that's probably true in a lot of cases. Also, if a person has a genetic predisposition to these kinds of disorders, they usually have a predisposition to addiction anyway, so they're far more likely not to use it occasionally.

However, the adolescent brain isn't fully formed. Even medical drugs which are perfectly fine for adults can cause suicidal thoughts in adolescents, for example. A more extreme example is the brain of the fetus. If the mother drinks a lot of alcohol, even if not enough to outright kill her, the fetus can be born with all sorts of abnormalities. The child of a woman with full blown alcoholism can have fetal alcohol syndrome, which is absolutely horrible. Drug use can cause mutations as well, so the behavior of the father is also a factor.

People just don't understand what they're doing to themselves, and Hollywood making it all look cool and acceptable is part of the problem.

I think that's probably true in a lot of cases. Also, if a person has a genetic predisposition to these kinds of disorders, they usually have a predisposition to addiction anyway, so they're far more likely not to use it occasionally.

However, the adolescent brain isn't fully formed. Even medical drugs which are perfectly fine for adults can cause suicidal thoughts in adolescents, for example. A more extreme example is the brain of the fetus. If the mother drinks a lot of alcohol, even if not enough to outright kill her, the fetus can be born with all sorts of abnormalities. The child of a woman with full blown alcoholism can have fetal alcohol syndrome, which is absolutely horrible. Drug use can cause mutations as well, so the behavior of the father is also a factor.

People just don't understand what they're doing to themselves, and Hollywood making it all look cool and acceptable is part of the problem.

Yes i have an addictive personnality, not sure if its about a genetic predisposition, my father died of alcohol if i recall and i'm a huge drinker too. Maybe a Bell Beaker heritage? ( Just Kidding ).

I dont understand all this mainstream topic on Marijuana, i even saw last week on the European Elections that apparently legalization of Marijuana was one of the topic and it made me laugh slowly. I hate people talking about Marijuana as a thing that should be mainstream. Here CBD is already legal, and young people did start to smoke it on the streets like its nothing. There is clearly an In and Out about Marijuana, when you start again after stopping like a year, you just revive what you hated so much of it. Tachychardia, Slow Mind, Dry Mouth and if you smoke everyday, like a loss of physical motricity and capability of thinking, you are becoming a very lazy person.

However, the adolescent brain isn't fully formed. Even medical drugs which are perfectly fine for adults can cause suicidal thoughts in adolescents, for example. A more extreme example is the brain of the fetus. If the mother drinks a lot of alcohol, even if not enough to outright kill her, the fetus can be born with all sorts of abnormalities.
Marijuana isn't a teratogen to humans:
Dozens of studies have compared the newborn babies of women who used marijuana during pregnancy with the babies of women who did not. Mainly, they have looked for differences in birth weight, birth length, head circumference, chest circumference, gestational age, neurological development, and physical abnormalities. Most of these studies, including the largest study to date with a sample of over twelve thousand women,9 have found no differences between babies exposed to marijuana prenatally and babies not exposed.10 Given the large number of studies and the large number of measures, some differences are likely to occur by chance. Indeed, researchers have found differences in both directions. In some studies, the babies of marijuana users appear healthier and hardier.11 In others, researchers have found more adverse outcomes in the babies of marijuana users.12
It isn't even a teratogen to our closest cousins. (Well all right they didn't try it on sheep, but chimpanzees are the next best thing:)
In one study, researchers exposed chimpanzees to high doses of THC for up to 152 days and found no change in the sexual behavior, fertility, or health of their offspring.8

Um... so Angela, I was wondering... When historians look back over the 21st century to explain why Western Civilization collapsed, are you concerned that marijuana will be at the top of their list?

Related: the relationship between marijuana use and the development of schizophrenia has long been known, although these reviewers conclude it is those who are predisposed towards schizophrenia who use marijuana as adolescents.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11920-015-0657-y
[h=1]Cannabis and Psychosis: a Critical Overview of the Relationship
[/h]
(Ksir & Hart, 2016)

Interest in the relationship between cannabis use and psychosis has increased dramatically in recent years, in part because of concerns related to the growing availability of cannabis and potential risks to health and human functioning. There now exists a plethora of scientific articles addressing this issue, but few provide a clear verdict about the causal nature of the cannabis-psychosis association. Here, we review recent research reports on cannabis and psychosis, giving particular attention to how each report provides evidence relating to two hypotheses: (1) cannabis as a contributing cause and (2) shared vulnerability. Two primary kinds of data are brought to bear on this issue: studies done with schizophrenic patients and studies of first-episode psychosis. Evidence reviewed here suggests that cannabis does not in itself cause a psychosis disorder. Rather, the evidence leads us to conclude that both early use and heavy use of cannabis are more likely in individuals with a vulnerability to psychosis. The role of early and heavy cannabis use as a prodromal sign merits further examination, along with a variety of other problem behaviors (e.g., early or heavy use of cigarettes or alcohol and poor school performance). Future research studies that focus exclusively on the cannabis-psychosis association will therefore be of little value in our quest to better understand psychosis and how and why it occurs.

Marijuana isn't a teratogen to humans:

It isn't even a teratogen to our closest cousins. (Well all right they didn't try it on sheep, but chimpanzees are the next best thing:)

Um... so Angela, I was wondering... When historians look back over the 21st century to explain why Western Civilization collapsed, are you concerned that marijuana will be at the top of their list?

Actually, I think if western civilization collapses it will be because of all the spoiled, entitled, lazy, idiotic young people I see all around me who are woefully ignorant about human history or philosophy, never read books in any format, are incapable of focusing, certainly incapable of making sound decisions and commitments, and are inconsiderate, impolite, and egotistic.

Part of that is indeed all the drugs they've taken, although marijuana is the least of it. They also abuse alcohol, binging until they're senseless. American young people seem to think it's a smart thing to do, and their parents allow it. They also waste hours of productive time on stupid video games.

Another major factor is that since before the 60s a lot of parents abdicated their responsibility to set limits, teach respect, inculcate good habits, and train their children to treat other human beings with care and concern. It's called socialization. Ask any primary or junior or high school teacher and they'll tell you that every year the children are worse, and more difficult to teach.

My work brought me into contact with these wonderful products of "western civilization" every day, and the havoc they wreak not only on themselves but on everyone around them.

I was determined that wasn't going to happen to my twenty something year olds, and it hasn't, but it sure as hell wasn't easy.

Now, you can cut out the smarmy attitude.

This thread has been viewed 6723 times.

Back