Ethnicity guess

Hi Stuvanè,
LOL. I moved you to the eastern Balkans. Thankfully I was not the only one that did it. At least I do not embarrass myself alone. Ernest Borgnine is a son of Italian immigrants. But I think your profile photo would give you a good roman centurion role in a Hollywood movie.
Big Hug :grin:(y)
Yeah, Borgnine's father, from Piedmont, and mother from Emilia-Romagna, as Stuvanè. ;)

Half of Borgnine's ancestry was supposedly from Modena. :) Other half from Piemonte.

Ah, somebody beat me to it.

I don't remember him ever playing an Italian. Unless he was Italian in "Marty"?

Hi Stuvanè,
LOL. I moved you to the eastern Balkans. Thankfully I was not the only one that did it. At least I do not embarrass myself alone. Ernest Borgnine is a son of Italian immigrants. But I think your profile photo would give you a good roman centurion role in a Hollywood movie.
Big Hug :grin:(y)

ahaha... let me know if they are looking for extras for some remakes of Quo Vadis, Ben-Hur or Gladiator :D

@Angela
Yes, Marty is an Italian butcher. Ernest won the Oscar here. :)

@Angela
Yes, Marty is an Italian butcher. Ernest won the Oscar here. :)

Thanks, Regio. My memory failed me there. :)

The success of "The Sopranos" obscures it, but James Gandolfini wasn't always relegated to "Italian" roles. He's half Neapolitan and half "mine" (Borgo Val Taro). :) I don't think he looks very much like his Neapolitan side.

IgeQaXD.png

12961282-standard.jpg
sopranos_1749129a.jpg

5142.jpg

That large, robust face and head, and body, as well, is quite common in Emilia Romagna, even in some of the women. I have to find a picture of my Uncle (cousin) Nello. He was a giant of a man, over 6' foot 2, and his hands were three times the size of mine. He was a gentle giant, though.

Thanks, Regio. My memory failed me there. :)

The success of "The Sopranos" obscures it, but James Gandolfini wasn't always relegated to "Italian" roles. He's half Neapolitan and half "mine" (Borgo Val Taro). :) I don't think he looks very much like his Neapolitan side.

IgeQaXD.png

12961282-standard.jpg
sopranos_1749129a.jpg

5142.jpg

That large, robust face and head, and body, as well, is quite common in Emilia Romagna, even in some of the women. I have to find a picture of my Uncle (cousin) Nello. He was a giant of a man, over 6' foot 2, and his hands were three times the size of mine. He was a gentle giant, though.
I have been wanting to watch The Sopranos since much time ago, when I read it would be the best series ever. Even if it's not really, I assume it must be very good, at least. Unfortunately, it's not available on Netflix.
Another very well rated at that specific ranking, besides Breaking Bad, was Mad Men. This one I watched, and found it pretty well done. Breaking Bad too, of course.

My mother side tend to have this face more, say, "rounded". Paternal seems to be more variable. My siblings and I tend to be more Meso(?), perhaps pending a little to dolico (?); one more, other less. Just a guess, of course. The truth is that I don't know exactly. je je
I've also heard on pretty tall relatives, but great-uncles in my case. Here, they talked on abt. 2 meters, but I doubt it, as per the pictures I've seen. Probably over 190, but max. of 195 cm imo, so not that different from my tallest bro. Still, those are men born ~1900. I wonder how tall your uncle and my great-uncles would be if they had been born much later. Perhaps they would be great basketball or volleyball players, je je je.

I bet people would have a hard time guessing this woman as well. :) The man is, of course, Gianluigi Buffon, our champion goalkeeper, but one of "yours" genetically. :) The woman is his mother, who was a discus thrower. This is what my father's mother looked like generally, except she had auburn hair. It wasn't just height; it was big bones too. My father took after his more "gracile" father. That's why even in her seventies a slap from her could send my father flying. :) "Uncle" Nello, our gentle giant, was her first cousin's son.

italian-goalkeeper-gianluigi-gigi-buffon-and-mother-maria-buffon-walking-D78A0D.jpg

They ate a lot of cheese and butter up there, but not much meat, which also packs on the inches, I think. So, he would probably have been even more mammoth. They used to recruit for the King's honor guard up in those mountains. Who knows what founder brought those genes up there.

As for the Sopranos, it was great, although I think "The Wire" was as good. Does Hulu have "The Sopranos"?

I'm a huge fan of the Montalbano series, and when I found out that mhzchoice carried all of them, I joined for two months so I could watch them all. :)

You know what, I think Netflix USA allows you to access all of HBO for a monthly fee. I think the first "trial" month is even free. If you can do it from where you are you could just binge watch the Sopranos for a month. You could even watch "Game of Thrones", if that's your kind of thing. :)

I bet people would have a hard time guessing this woman as well. :) The man is, of course, Gianluigi Buffon, our champion goalkeeper, but one of "yours" genetically. :) The woman is his mother, who was a discus thrower. This is what my father's mother looked like generally, except she had auburn hair. It wasn't just height; it was big bones too. My father took after his more "gracile" father. That's why even in her seventies a slap from her could send my father flying. :) "Uncle" Nello, our gentle giant, was her first cousin's son.
italian-goalkeeper-gianluigi-gigi-buffon-and-mother-maria-buffon-walking-D78A0D.jpg

They ate a lot of cheese and butter up there, but not much meat, which also packs on the inches, I think. So, he would probably have been even more mammoth. They used to recruit for the King's honor guard up in those mountains. Who knows what founder brought those genes up there.
As for the Sopranos, it was great, although I think "The Wire" was as good. Does Hulu have "The Sopranos"?
I'm a huge fan of the Montalbano series, and when I found out that mhzchoice carried all of them, I joined for two months so I could watch them all. :)
You know what, I think Netflix USA allows you to access all of HBO for a monthly fee. I think the first "trial" month is even free. If you can do it from where you are you could just binge watch the Sopranos for a month. You could even watch "Game of Thrones", if that's your kind of thing. :)
I had a classmate in my birth place whose family name is Buffon. :) His folks were Trevisan though. But why do you think Gianluigi is closer to me genetically? He must be a bit closer to you. I mean, his father, if I got it right, is/was Friulan (not Venetian), yes, but his mother Maria Stella Masocco is your fellow. She was born in Lunigiana. In Treschietto, more specifically. It possibly helps to explain her similarity with your folks. :)

Thanks for the suggestion related to HBO. I'll probably do that when my little dude get a bit older and calm down, 'cause it's been difficult to do anything these days. je je je

I just learned with you abt. the existence of Hulu. :)
And thanks for the tip of "The Wire". I definetely trust you, and it's now on my list.

Yeah, I liked pretty much Game of Thrones. I did what you suggested specifically in the last season. I waited its end, and then I signed HBO for one month and watched it. ;) If I can do it with The Sopranos, then I definetely will.

Cheers

I had a classmate in my birth place whose family name is Buffon. :) His folks were Trevisan though. But why do you think Gianluigi is closer to me genetically? He must be a bit closer to you. I mean, his father, if I got it right, is/was Friulan (not Venetian), yes, but his mother Maria Stella Masocco is your fellow. She was born in Lunigiana. In Treschietto, more specifically. It possibly helps to explain her similarity with your folks. :)

Thanks for the suggestion related to HBO. I'll probably do that when my little dude get a bit older and calm down, 'cause it's been difficult to do anything these days. je je je

I just learned with you abt. the existence of Hulu. :)
And thanks for the tip of "The Wire". I definetely trust you, and it's now on my list.

Yeah, I liked pretty much Game of Thrones. I did what you suggested specifically in the last season. I waited its end, and then I signed HBO for one month and watched it. ;) If I can do it with The Sopranos, then I definetely will.

Cheers

Yes, it's a frazione of Bagnone, where my mother was born, but when I looked up her surname, Masocco, at gens labo, it looked like it was a Venetian name, so I don't know. Her son was born in Carrara, and he was married in Bagnone, so they do honor those roots.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Stella_Masocco

Never mind. I found a picture of her, her husband and the young children. No matter the history of that last name, she's definitely one of ours. Gianluigi clearly looks like his father, another athlete.

She could be related to the darker members of my father's family, and even my mother's for that matter.
lxO0Tn9.jpg

His sisters, who were volleyball players, understandably enough.

6jigEkB.jpg

1c7f8d5233930625cc80e55a8d726278.jpg

Yes, it's a frazione of Bagnone, where my mother was born, but when I looked up her surname, Masocco, at gens labo, it looked like it was a Venetian name, so I don't know. Her son was born in Carrara, and he was married in Bagnone, so they do honor those roots.

https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Stella_Masocco

Never mind. I found a picture of her, her husband and the young children. No matter the history of that last name, she's definitely one of ours. Gianluigi clearly looks like his father, another athlete.

She could be related to the darker members of my father's family, and even my mother's for that matter.
lxO0Tn9.jpg

His sisters, who were volleyball players, understandably enough.

6jigEkB.jpg

1c7f8d5233930625cc80e55a8d726278.jpg
Interesting, Angela.

With regard to surnames at Gens, yes, but it seems somewhat widespread in Italy, also due to internal migrations, possibly. Anyway, I do remember of cases, in my own family research, of ancestors with family names that cannot be found in their birth places anymore. Not sure it's the case of Masocco in Lunigiana, but it certainly happens. :)

Slovenia

Sent from my LGL322DL using Tapatalk

This thread has been viewed 16014 times.

Back