The Arrival of Siberian Ancestry Connecting the Eastern Baltic to Uralic Speakers fur

Table 1 Archaeological Information, Genetic Sex, mtDNA and Y Chromosome Haplogroups, and Average Coverage of the Individuals of This Study
IndividualLocationPeriodDateSexMT hgY hgAv. cov.
Morph.Gen.
X02Iru, Harju, ESTBA1090–910 BC aMXYT1a1bR1a0.031
0LS11Jõelähtme, Harju, ESTBA1060–850 BC aMXYH1cR1a10.214
V9Jõelähtme, Harju, ESTBA1220–1010 BC aMXYK1c1hR1a1’20.474
V14Muuksi, Harju, ESTBA1280–1050 BC aMXYU2e2a1R1a1’20.443
X05Muuksi, Harju, ESTBA1210–1010 BC aMXYT2a1b1a1R1a1’20.029
X08Muuksi, Harju, ESTBA930–810 BC aMXYT2a1b1a2R1a1c0.306
X09Muuksi, Harju, ESTBA820–770 BC aMXYJ1b1aR1a<0.017
X10Muuksi, Harju, ESTBA1220–1020 BC aMXYU5a2a1R1a1’20.22
X11Napa, Ida-Viru, ESTBA1030–890 BC aMXYJ1c2kR1a0.224
X12Napa, Ida-Viru, ESTBA900–790 BC aMXYW6R1a1’60.023
X13Rebala, Harju, ESTBA780–480 BC aM?K1b2a<0.017
X14Rebala, Harju, ESTBA780–430 BC aMXYH1b2R1a1c0.307
V16Väo, Harju, ESTBA730–390 BC aMXYH1b2R1a1’20.22
X16Väo, Harju, ESTBA1080–910 BC aM?XYJ1c4R1a0.018
X17Väo, Harju, ESTBA930–810 BC aMXYU4a2bR1a1c0.387
X18Väo, Harju, ESTBA?1200 BC–… bMXYU3b2a?<0.017
X19Väo, Harju, ESTBA1200–400 BC b?XXU<0.017
X20Väo, Harju, ESTBA900–800 BC a?XYU4a2bR1a0.085
X15Vehendi, Tartu, ESTBA1210–1000 BC aM?XYU5b1b1R1a1c0.339
0LS09Ilmandu, Harju, ESTIA540–380 BC aFXXH6a1a<0.017
V7Ilmandu, Harju, ESTIA790–430 BC aMXYT2a1b1a1R1a<0.017
V8Ilmandu, Harju, ESTIA730–400 BC cM?XXHV0<0.017
0LS10Kunda, Lääne-Viru, ESTIA770–430 BC cMXYH13a1a1aN3a3′50.319
V10Kunda, Lääne-Viru, ESTIA790–430 BC aMXYH1aR1a1c0.403
V11Kurevere, Saare, ESTIA390–200 BC aM?XXW3a1d0.277
V12Kurevere, Saare, ESTIA360–40 BC aM?XYI1a1cN3a3a0.245
X04Loona, Saare, ESTIA480–360 BC aMXYH1cR1a1’20.256
VII3Poanse, Pärnu, ESTIA380–180 BC aMXYU5a1d?<0.017
VII4Võhma, Lääne-Viru, ESTIA760–400 BC aMXYT1a1bN3a3a0.342
VII15Kerstovo, Ingria, RUSIA45 BC–77 AD a?XYU5a2a1R1a0.244
VIII7Kerstovo, Ingria, RUSIA75–200 AD b?XXH2a1a0.062
VIII8Kerstovo, Ingria, RUSIA75–200 AD b?XYH3hR1a1c0.0517
VIII9Kerstovo, Ingria, RUSIA75–200 AD b?XXU4a20.3
VIII5Malli, Ingria, RUSIA75–300 AD b?XXT1a1b0.398
IIaKarja, Saare, ESTMA1230–1300 AD bMXYH3h1N3a3a0.734
0LS03Kukruse, Ida-Viru, ESTMA1180–1220/1240 AD bMXYU4d1R1a1a’b0.0696
IVLS09KTMäletjärve, Tartu, ESTMA1570–1600 AD bMXYH2a1J2b20.332
IIfOtepää, Valga, ESTMA1360–1390 AD bMXYT2bN3a3a0.206
IIgPada, Lääne-Viru, ESTMA1210–1230/1240 AD bMXYU4a2bN3a3a0.102
IIItVaabina, Võru, ESTMA1250–1450 AD bFXXU5a2a10.0413
ILS01Vana-Kuuste, Tartu, ESTMA1500–1625 AD bMXYH11a1R1a0.0827
See also Figure S3, Tables S1 and S2, and Data S2. <0.017, not included in autosomal analyses; Av. cov., average genomic coverage; BA, Bronze Age; EST, Estonia; F, female; Gen., genetic; IA, Iron Age; M, male; MA, Middle Ages; Morph., morphological; MT hg, mtDNA haplogroup; RUS, Russia; Y hg, Y chromosome haplogroup.
a 14C date; calibrated using OxCal v4.2.4 [27] and IntCal13 atmospheric curve [28]
b Typo-chronological date
c Combined 14C date of multiple dates using OxCal v4.2.4 [27] R_combine; calibrated using OxCal v4.2.4 [27] and IntCal13 atmospheric curve [28]

The Siberian contribution here seems extremely small (3-5% peak in the IA). If Uralic came from the east, there must have been some kind of elite dominance.

Haplogroup N3a was absent in Baltic Bronze Age males but three Baltic Iron Age males belonged to N3a. The genetic transition from R1a to N3a took place around 5,000 years ago with the arrival of Finno-Ugric speakers from Siberia. Three additional modern males from the region after the Iron Age also carried hg N3a (6 out of 15 males overall after the BA-IA transition.)

fx1.jpg

We identified chrY hgs for 30 male individuals (Tables 1 and S2; STAR Methods). All 16 successfully haplogrouped EstBA males belonged to hg R1a, showing no change from the CWC period, when this was also the only chrY lineage detected in the Eastern Baltic [11, 13, 30, 31]. Three EstIA and two IngIA individuals also belonged to hg R1a, but three EstIA males belonged to hg N3a, the earliest so far observed in the Eastern Baltic. Three EstMA individuals belonged to hg N3a, two to hg R1a, and one to hg J2b. ChrY lineages found in the Baltic Sea region before the CWC belong to hgs I, R1b, R1a5, and Q [10, 11, 12, 13, 17, 32]. Thus, it appears that these lineages were substantially replaced in the Eastern Baltic by hg R1a [10, 11, 12, 13], most likely through steppe migrations from the east [30, 31]. Although we did not detect N3a chrYs in our BA sample, unlike in BA Fennoscandia [26], we cannot rule out its presence due to small sample size. However, the frequency should not exceed 0.17 with 95% and 0.25 with 99% confidence [33]. The frequency of hg N3a was significantly higher in our IA than our BA group (Fisher’s exact test p value 0.013). Our results enable us to conclude that, although the expansion time for R1a1 and N3a3′5 in Eastern Europe is similar [25], hg N3a likely reached Estonia or at least became comparably frequent to modern Estonia [1] only during the BA-IA transition.

the increase of WHG ancestry from CWC to BA samples could not be the product of local fussion?

So N carried Uralic languages, then R1a the Baltoslavic branch?

Good study and it debunks these weird theories that Carlos from indo-european.eu believes in (about Finno-Ugric Corded Ware culture).

J2b2 definitely linked with post-neolithic Pontic Steppe?

Good study and it debunks these weird theories that Carlos from indo-european.eu believes in (about Finno-Ugric Corded Ware culture).

yes, it was weird and now well rejected, but even more weird is how he reacts about the new data: pitable denial and bizarre hocus pocus.

yes, it was weird and now well rejected, but even more weird is how he reacts about the new data: pitable denial and bizarre hocus pocus.

He also doesn't seem to mention the recent Iranian steppe papers with lots of R1a and no R1b :unsure:

His theory about the Slavs migrating to the Balkans in the Medieval been predominantly E-V13 while no mentioning of R1a or I2a1 at all is also very weird...

Although he does make cogent points about Bohemia being an early center of West Slavic dispersal; the first appearance of Slavic Wendish tribes in Germany is in the borderlands of Thuringia during the 600s, which likely included members of my clade R1a-YP445, judging from its present distribution. He also wrote a piece about Battle-Axe being Finnic and gave a detailed description of his theory of the development of the words for 'seal' in German languages as well as Finnic dialects, but I couldn't absorb it because I kept thinking of the Selke Trophy in hockey (because of the early root; think 'selkies' in Scotland) which my favorite player has won several times.

ni4n4Hu.png

But we still don't know where CWC R1a came from. Yamna has no R1a, and CWC has no connection with sintashta archaeologically.

the presence of a
291 genetic component associated with Caucasus hunter-gatherers and later with people
292 representing the Yamnaya Culture in Eastern hunter-gatherers and Estonian CCC individuals
293 means that the expansion of the CWC cannot be seen as the sole means for the spread of this
294 genetic component, at least in Eastern Europe. The transition to intensive farming and animal
295 husbandry in Estonia, which took place a few thousand years after the farming transition in
296 many other parts of Europe, was conveyed by the CWC individuals and involved an influx of
297 new genetic material. These people carried a clear Steppe ancestry with some minor Anatolian298 contribution, most likely absorbed through female lineages during the population movements.

All four of the Estonian CWC individuals could be assigned to the R1a-Z645 sub-clade of hg165 R1a-M417 which together with N is one of the most common Y chromosome haplogroups inpresent-day Estonians (33%)44 166 . Importantly, this R1a lineage is only distantly related to the 167 R1a5 lineage we found in the CCC sample.

Our results support the hypothesis that individuals associated with the CCC hunter-gatherers in286 Estonia were genetically most similar to Eastern hunter-gatherers from Karelia, a region further287 east from Estonia.

In my opinion it's mostly an indirect connection (a "coincidence" of sorts) that caused the relationship between the spread of Siberian ancestry and the Uralic languages' expansion. IMO they were originally a later derivation of the Lyalovo suset of the Comb Ceramic culture in the area roughly between the Oka and Kama rivers, developingo into the Fatyanovo-Balanovo and Abashevo-influenced Volosovo culture, which would help explain the fact that many Uralic branches have so much linguistic IE and genetic CWC-like influence. In that region Proto-Uralic would've developed originally in a mostly EHG (with some WHG mixed in too), but by the time of its expansion they would've absorbed a disproportionately male genetic impact of a Siberian people (bringing clades of N haplogroup). They would've absorbed them instead of shifting their language and culture entirely because of them. However, since that haplogroup and that Siberian ancestry was rare or nonexistant to the west of their homeland in the Oka-Kama/Urals region, they would've become their distinctive "trademark" even though the origin of the language and most of their genetics was not in them.

In my opinion it's mostly an indirect connection (a "coincidence" of sorts) that caused the relationship between the spread of Siberian ancestry and the Uralic languages' expansion. IMO they were originally a later derivation of the Lyalovo suset of the Comb Ceramic culture in the area roughly between the Oka and Kama rivers, developingo into the Fatyanovo-Balanovo and Abashevo-influenced Volosovo culture, which would help explain the fact that many Uralic branches have so much linguistic IE and genetic CWC-like influence. In that region Proto-Uralic would've developed originally in a mostly EHG (with some WHG mixed in too), but by the time of its expansion they would've absorbed a disproportionately male genetic impact of a Siberian people (bringing clades of N haplogroup). They would've absorbed them instead of shifting their language and culture entirely because of them. However, since that haplogroup and that Siberian ancestry was rare or nonexistant to the west of their homeland in the Oka-Kama/Urals region, they would've become their distinctive "trademark" even though the origin of the language and most of their genetics was not in them.

Doesn't PU have Indo-Iranian loans? That would make homeland in CCC unlikely imho.

Doesn't PU have Indo-Iranian loans? That would make homeland in CCC unlikely imho.

Maybe I phrased my opinion incorrectly. I meant that I think Volosovo or maybe the direct ancestor of it was Proto-Uralic (I knew the name, but right now I forgot it, sorry, maybe someone else can help my memory, lol), which would've got its language from the language family of Comb Ceramic, and it would then have come from a EHG language already spoken in Northeastern Europe since the Mesolithic. But the II loans might've come during the initial expansion of PU branches in and after Volosovo. Do you think it is also possible that the neighboring Garino-Bor to the east of them was linguistically related to Volosovo? I sometimes think Volosovo is a bit too late for Common PU, so Volosovo could be related to "western" dialects, and Garino-Bor to an "eastern" expansion of PU (maybe the proto-proto-language of Samoyedic?), both of them deriving their language from an earlier unified PU stage.

I think this is pretty clear:
"Additionally, ancient DNA suggests that the arrival of this ‘eastern’ Uralic mediated ancestry seems to date to the early Iron Age. The hypothesis that the Finnic languages were primal to Baltic Europe, is on shaky ground which has cracked open. Rather, the circumstantial evidence is that Finnic languages replaced Indo-European dialects."

So is the following. The "Northern European Phenotype" which figures so prominently in discussions of population genetics (although clearly not all northern Europeans are blonde and blue eyed) developed rather late, was not at modern levels even in the Bronze Age, and was not "brought" to "Europe" by the Indo-Europeans. The original steppe people were darker than modern Europeans, and if groups like Andronovo were relatively lighter, although also not at modern levels, it's because of genetic material picked up somewhere else.

The bigger, more surprising, though not entirely so, implication of this paper is that the Nordic phenotype was not brought to the north by a new people, but that it developed in situ through the mixing of peoples. The evidence from this, and other, papers is that Northern Europeans in the Bronze-Age were considerably darker in complexion and mien than they are today. That selection between the Bronze Age and the present has resulted in a sweeping up in frequencies of derived alleles which are strongly correlated with lighter skin, along with selection in other traits considered typical of Northern Europeans, such as the ability to digest milk sugar."

His map is interesting and clearly shows what happened to pigmentation in the Northeastern Europe over time.
F8Z03Tv.png

"Compare this chart to the one at the top. Between the Bronze Age and the Estonian Middle Ages, and therefore the modern period, the genome-wide changes have been subtle. But for lactase persistence and many of the pigmentation loci, there has been a substantial change without substantial gene flow (and, the East Asian Finnic ancestry likely introduced “dark” alleles, as one can see ancestral copies of SLC24A5 in Finns).Lactase persistence is interesting because cattle culture in Europe precedes this allele by thousands of years. Likely Pre-Indo-European farmers seem to have utilized cheese (which has lower sugar content)."

"Looking at the detailed SNPs, there are ancestral copies of both SLC24A5 and SLC45A2 variants which are extremely rare in the area today into the Iron Age."

To return to a discussion we had here on what effect the Beaker people had phenotypically on Britain, yes, they seem to have brought more light eyes, and 45A2 to Britain, but they did not look like modern British people.

He does charts for other parts of Europe as well, i.e. Britain and Iberia, from which we have a lot of samples. It's well worth a look.

The most interesting question is why. He says he doesn't know, and I certainly don't.

Of course, he has to do deal with you know whom.

"Update: A reader of this weblog has pointed out that there is strong evidence that Northern European pigmentation profiles were all over the steppe and forest-steppe by the Bronze Age. Some of the data support that. But when I look closely at the steppe societies such as the Srubna, it is not clear at all that that was the case. For example, a derived SNP at SLC45A2 is close to fixed in modern northern Europeans, rs16891982 (~98%). The frequency is lower in Southern Europeans, closer to ~90%. In the Srubna and related groups, it is closer to 75%. In the Bell Beaker samples from Britain and Central Europe, it is closer to 65%. The frequency is lower in European farmers, but I don’t see the math working proportion-wise for Corded Ware Culture type ancestry with a dilution of EEF leading to a drop from ~100% to 65%.Additionally, the Estonian CWC samples in the Reich data are ancestral, not derived.
Basically, there was a lot of heterogeneity. Even amongst groups that were similar on genome-wide terms.
(also note that the derived allele was already present at ~25% among Neolithic farmers)"

This thread has been viewed 19343 times.

Back