Recommendations-Netflix, Amazon, MHZ

I'd like Gondor as Byzantium, and Gondorians as the "People of the South", just like Tolkien described them.:embarassed:

there might be no Gondor in the show because it was only founded after the fall of Numenor by fleeing Numenorians. that happend long after what is currently happening in the show. Gondor was populated at that time by "Middle Men" or "Men of Twilight". the Numenorians are the "Men of Light", the "Middle Men" are the "Men of Twilight" and the easterlings and haradrim are the "Men of Darkness".

what do you want instead? that the producers adopt Tolkiens work which was written in the 1940's one to one? that all elves are depicted as these super fair featured superhumans? that most numenorians who colonized middle earth and tought people how to be civilized are tall, blonde with blue eyes with a few having dark hair like Tolkien described them? the blonde ones descending from the "greater folk", the dark ones from the "lesser folk". btw the "northmen" like the Rohirim later descended from the greater folk.

of course you could say that all i wrote until now is just pure coincidence or perhaps Tolkien just liked blondes more.

Oh God, another pigmentation obsessed pop gen hobbyist. You're not inferior because you don't look like the descriptions in the books, ok. Give it a rest.

Tolkien created characters who looked like the people of the British Isles and the countries who were either allied with Britain in the great world wars of his time, or were their enemies. His writing wasn't informed by the conflict between the Arab tribes and the Ottoman Empire, or the Mongols versus the "natives" of South Asia.

Have you forgotten that Jackson did very well bringing a very faithful adaptation to the screen? Do you think things have changed so much? It's still watched on streaming services by both old fans and newbies, and reacted to by new devotees on youtube all the time.

Just because their pigmentation bothers you doesn't mean it bothers other people. For goodness' sakes, it would be like me complaining that all the series about Vikings feature Scandinavian looking people and nobody who looks like my husband. That's who they were. Putting in a black Viking also irritated the heck out of most people.

You just don't want to accept that people still love it "exactly" as it is. Most people don't approach it with your sensitivities.

Plus, you're remembering some of this incorrectly. Aragorn was supposed to be very dark haired with grey eyes. Faromir was also dark-haired. Initially I was quite disappointed with the casting for the men of Gondor. Their descriptions to me sounded like descriptions of Irishmen or Cornishmen, not blondes from East Anglia. There were also dark haired elves. You're obsessing over the Rohirim, but they weren't the heroes of the tales. The curly brown haired and brown eyed Hobbits were the heroes.

what do you want instead? that the producers adopt Tolkiens work which was written in the 1940's one to one? that all elves are depicted as these super fair featured superhumans? that most numenorians who colonized middle earth and tought people how to be civilized are tall, blonde with blue eyes with a few having dark hair like Tolkien described them? the blonde ones descending from the "greater folk", the dark ones from the "lesser folk". btw the "northmen" like the Rohirim later descended from the greater folk.
of course you could say that all i wrote until now is just pure coincidence or perhaps Tolkien just liked blondes more.

I am certainly not of Northern European ancestry. However, I do have lots of respect for the history and culture of England given its impact of the USA and Western Civilization the last 500 years or so. I have no use for modern secular elites taking stories that "they did not Create!!!!" and then injecting them with their political views. I abhor that ideology. The best way to ensure diversity in the fantasy space is for Studios and publishing companies to support creators and works by authors from various ethnic/racial backgrounds. If those stories are good stories, most rational and decent people will watch the shows if they are well made. But that would take money and effort on their parts to go and find, recruit and support writers/creators from non European backgrounds and try to bring their works to the screen. If there are not lots of works from say sub-Saharan African descendant people in the fantasy space, then go out and pay for writers to write some stories and make those into films.

As I clearly stated in the rest of my post, I cited 2 Marvel Comic book characters 1) Daredevil, who first appeared in 1964 and 2) Luke Cage (one of the first African-American characters in the original Marvel Universe) which where made into Netflix series. Both shows in my view were excellent. Both stories were true to the origins of both characters and were well done.

Back to Tolkien, he wrote what he wrote. It is quite clear his work drew on Northern European/Anglo-Saxon/Norse mythology which Tolkien also wove into those Myths symbolism of orthodox Catholic theology (which I am not going to take time to explain to you as there is little chance in hell you would understand), as opposed to his contemporary CS Lewis (who was an Anglican) who made explicit references to traditional Christian theology.

Modern secular globalist liberals can't create, so they destroy what they didn't create themselves and interject their politics into those stories that "they did not create"

Last edited:
Oh God, another pigmentation obsessed pop gen hobbyist. You're not inferior because you don't look like the descriptions in the books, ok. Give it a rest.

Tolkien created characters who looked like the people of the British Isles and the countries who were either allied with Britain in the great world wars of his time, or were their enemies. His writing wasn't informed by the conflict between the Arab tribes and the Ottoman Empire, or the Mongols versus the "natives" of South Asia.

Have you forgotten that Jackson did very well bringing a very faithful adaptation to the screen? Do you think things have changed so much? It's still watched on streaming services by both old fans and newbies, and reacted to by new devotees on youtube all the time.

Just because their pigmentation bothers you doesn't mean it bothers other people. For goodness' sakes, it would be like me complaining that all the series about Vikings feature Scandinavian looking people and nobody who looks like my husband. That's who they were. Putting in a black Viking also irritated the heck out of most people.

You just don't want to accept that people still love it "exactly" as it is. Most people don't approach it with your sensitivities.

Plus, you're remembering some of this incorrectly. Aragorn was supposed to be very dark haired with grey eyes. Faromir was also dark-haired. Initially I was quite disappointed with the casting for the men of Gondor. Their descriptions to me sounded like descriptions of Irishmen or Cornishmen, not blondes from East Anglia. There were also dark haired elves. You're obsessing over the Rohirim, but they weren't the heroes of the tales. The curly brown haired and brown eyed Hobbits were the heroes.

Tolkien gave most of the Numenorians blonde hair and blue eyes. they are from the "house of hador". aragorn is partially descended from the "house of boer", which made up a minority of numenorians. perhaps this is why Tolkien named the latter "lesser", it's just numbers.

you're right about the elves it seems. Tolkien gave most of them dark hair. they had pale skin with mostly blue/grey eyes. only the first elves had blonde hair. the high king of the elves belongs to them. they all left middle earth by the time of this series. Galadriel is a descendant of them, thus her blonde hair.

anyways, i'm not the one obsessing about skin color difference between this modern adaption and the original descriptions. i mean if we really sticked to the source, orcs would look like disfigured mongolians with "sallow" skin with a few black ones while the elves would only be made up of top models with pale skin. elrond, celeborn, that other elf from Helms Deep they all never really fit except maybe Legolas. they even made the actor wear contacst to adjust the eye color. most of the orcs never really fit either.

Barbarians-Season 2 on Netflix.

I've rarely seen such an a-historical fictionalized version of history pretending to be historical, if that makes sense. :) It's one thing to make up characters and place them in a historical setting; it's even ok to use real historical people and invent dialogue or private relationships; it's another to have actual historical facts and completely ignore or change virtually everything that we know happened.

The fact that all the historical advisors quit tells you a lot about its reliability.

I was going to do my own point by point review, but I couldn't watch it after the second episode, and anyway, Metatron knows more than I do about the Roman military and the specific battles, so here it is:

I really liked Wednesday. It's the show I've been waiting for. My expectations were met and I was very impressed with the show. I recommend it.

I recently saw a mini-series documentary, "Falling for a Killer" on the people who were closest to Ted Bundy, which included his long-time ex-girlfriend, her daughter, and his little brother. Frankly, I wish I never had seen it, because it really disturbed me. How anyone go rape and murder people, especially a 12 year old girl makes me furious. I could see how so many people went to celebrate his execution.

It also makes me think of all the edge lords in this hobby who callously dismiss and even celebrate this being done on a genocidal level to indigenous people. It makes me sick to my stomach. No death is just a statistic, it has an impact on hundreds or thousands of individuals; family, friends, etc.

It also made me feel bad for not only the victims, but the people closest to him. They seemed like they loved him very much, and were completely surprised that he would be capable of those crimes.

I recently saw a mini-series documentary, "Falling for a Killer" on the people who were closest to Ted Bundy, which included his long-time ex-girlfriend, her daughter, and his little brother. Frankly, I wish I never had seen it, because it really disturbed me. How anyone go rape and murder people, especially a 12 year old girl makes me furious. I could see how so many people went to celebrate his execution.

It also makes me think of all the edge lords in this hobby who callously dismiss and even celebrate this being done on a genocidal level to indigenous people. It makes me sick to my stomach. No death is just a statistic, it has an impact on hundreds or thousands of individuals; family, friends, etc.

It also made me feel bad for not only the victims, but the people closest to him. They seemed like they loved him very much, and were completely surprised that he would be capable of those crimes.

Speaking of which, that pile of garbage that is supposedly a human being, Nikolas Cruz, should of been fried in the electric chair down in Florida, like Bundy was. The evil of his crimes are comparable.

The best we can hope for is that someone will murder Nikolas Cruz in prison, like they did to Jefferey Dahmer.

I saw Evil Among Us: The Golden State Killer. It was on Tubi, which is free.

It talks about the serial rapes and murders committed by Joseph DeAngelo, one of the most prolific serial predators in US history. He killed about 13 people, and raped up to 51 women, and 120 burglaries

He did all of it while living a double life as a police officer and a family man. He went on to have three daughters, and a grand daughter, who all say he was loving and dedicated to them.

As many of you know, in 2018 he was caught because of GEDmatch.

I was watching it with my wife, and I joked, that I could never possibly be a serial killer. The reason is because I would have been caught a long time ago, since I've taken more DNA tests than I can remember.

Turn of the Tide (Rabo de Peixe) is a Portuguese fiction thriller around four friends who, despite their youth, feel defeated by a place where nothing happens. A poor village on the Azores island. Until a boat of drug traffickers is forced to unload the shipment of cocaine to take shelter in the village's harbor because of a storm. Problems start when the packets of cocaine start floating into the village's harbor. The four friends see an opportunity to escape their condition and achieve their dreams.
It’s an old story (teens thrust into a dangerous situation), it’s not perfect, and it is a bit cliched at times, but is fun to watch.
Turn of the Tide has already entered the Top 10 of the most watched series in 33 countries.

IMDb Rating 7.9/10
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt20268688/

https://www.netflix.com/pt-en/title/81410976

Stream It Or Skip It ?
https://decider.com/2023/05/27/turn-of-the-tide-netflix-review/

This thread has been viewed 21386 times.

Back