Video on the advent of "Horse Warriors"

Actually watched it for the first time straight through. Anthony, Willerslev and Krause all make an appearance.

Someone forgot to tell Anthony there were very few horses in Corded Ware and the carts were pulled by cattle.

Willerslev straight out says the plague started among the steppe people and they spread it to LN Europe, whose inhabitants had less immunity to it. Shades of the poor people of the Americas. :( I don't remember it being as dogmatic as that in the papers. Among the "native" survivors he thinks the men were killed and the women absorbed. Well, we know where "he" stands.

Oh, he also says he used to have a "romantic" dream of being a horse riding Indo-European. Good grief, not another Eurogenes like "romantic" about blonde cowboys of the steppes. What a jerk. And this from a middle aged academic.

To his credit, perhaps, he says that given the disease and violence he'd rather live in the present. Or maybe the idea of killing other people was "romantic", but dying oneself of plague was a step too far.

I just watched the video (thanks for the link!) and thought it quite good, though perhaps over romanticized. The latter is probably to be expected in a TV show like Nova with a general interest audience.

I thought the show did a good job of presenting the basic thesis and while it may have seemed simplistic in some of its assertions, or would that be dogmatic? :), I don't think much more could be expected in a one-hour format.

Restricted by copyright

This thread has been viewed 5078 times.

Back