BMW

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Irish
Y-DNA haplogroup
T-FT179638/T-Y26649
mtDNA haplogroup
U6a1a
Can you guess the ethnic background of the father in this photo?

94uFHp9.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if you told me he was Irish or Ulster Scots, i.e. Appalachians.

However, you may not believe me but there are also Italians who look like that, my husband's father amongst them, except that the lower part of his face was broader.

Angela,This photo is 15-20 years earlier.
hEZOOnY.jpg

Sorry, let me try again.
This is 15-2 years earlier.

590mJpA.jpg

As you can see I'm new at posting photos...... :)

BMW, he looks Irish or West Scottish to me :)

Angela and mitty,

This photo shows his paternal grandfather and siblings.

srR6ycG.jpg

I'm with Mitty. :)

British or Irish?

Hello to all.

My Dad would have been a Y-DNA haplogroup T.
All his great grandparents were Irish.....south Ireland....more specifically Co. Carlow for his paternal line.
Angela, you were onto something when you mentioned his possible Italian look. I am still trying to figure out the apparent rare circumstances which brought a Y-DNA "T" to Ireland. Anything out there that addresses this subject in more detail?

Can you guess the ethnic background of the father in this photo?

94uFHp9.jpg

Sorry, let me try again.
This is 15-2 years earlier.

590mJpA.jpg

Angela and mitty,

This photo shows his paternal grandfather and siblings.

srR6ycG.jpg

Hello to all.

My Dad would have been a Y-DNA haplogroup T.
All his great grandparents were Irish.....south Ireland....more specifically Co. Carlow for his paternal line.
Angela, you were onto something when you mentioned his possible Italian look. I am still trying to figure out the apparent rare circumstances which brought a Y-DNA "T" to Ireland. Anything out there that addresses this subject in more detail?

Hello BMW.
Beautiful family you have. Everybody, in all pics you posted, seems very british to me.
I have great difficulty in differentiating the various European phenotypes. IMO, all europeans are very similar, in my not very well trained vision.
The following, I put some Iberian phenotypes to prove what I said:

1. 40's - my father and my great-uncle:
7r29IY6.jpg

2. 1954 - My father, graduating in Political Sciences from the Federal University of Minas Gerais (I graduated from this same university, in Engineering):
dwC6SOR.jpg

3. 1966 - My father and mother:
c3lWQEe.jpg

4. 1959 - My parental grandfather, Christovan (Here in Brazil all called him Cristóvão, but his real name of baptism is Christovan), 5 years before he died in 1965. I inherited his eyes.
DCuYTP0.jpg

6. 1965 - My older brother, Fabio. The photo is bad, but he had red hair, LOL.
W5oTM3o.jpg

I love old family photos.

Last edited:
Duarte,

Thank you for your nice comments and sharing your great family photos!

Another photo of my Dad.
This time in 1992 with two of his grandchildren. He was to die of cancer only two years later.

I don't think he looked as much Irish as he did Peter Ustinov "like" in his later years....especially when he was carrying a few more pounds in the 1970's and 80's. He sure loved his grandkids.

3V7HVLt.jpg

The Celtic "fringe", especially Ireland, but western Scotland as well, and Ulstermen, the so called Scots-Irish, who some may not consider "Irish", have a lot of people who retain a lot of the "Med" along with the "Atlanto" in their phenotypes. In America I see it particularly in the people of the Appalachians.

When I first saw a picture of Loretta Lynn, I thought she looked a lot like me when I was in my twenties and early thirties, to be honest. :) It's just a mix of the ancestral populations we have in common which by happenstance result in a similar look.

A-320517-1351614843-1497.jpeg.jpg

Spaniards can sometimes overlap a bit with them too, although Duarte's father (very handsome, btw, Duarte), looks very Spanish to me still, not at all British. Some can definitely fool me, though. When I first saw a picture of Tyrone Power, I was absolutely certain he was a Spaniard who had changed his name. Alas not. Completely British, with a lot of Irish in him.

98203d702209a7dea80274b924b6d78e.jpg

I have relatives who could fit pretty well in the picture of your very handsome family, but it has to do with shared ancient ancestry, I think, including ancient EEF/Neolithic farmer ancestry which produces that longer face and more refined features, but I don't think it is necessarily tied only to your yDna "T". I'm sure there are other y lines, and, more likely, given what happened to Neolithic y lines in Britain, lots of mtDna lines which can be traced to the Neolithic farmers of Europe.

This is what I mean.

Couldn't some of these people from the Lunigiana fit in pretty well in your group?

KFLkFNW.jpg

I wouldn't mistake them for Irish, most of them, but the differences can be pretty subtle between Europeans from different countries.

6ld05Nb.jpg

rKNRvZj.png

Elio Germano
d713dpD.jpg

A Miss Parma:
2LwfiMY.png

A good number of them I'd have difficulty with myself.

Miss Parma contestants:
GsrQkgk.jpg

A Miss Liguria:
20160718150635777320.jpg

Coon talks about some of this in his books, i.e. British Mediterraneans
http://www.nordish.org/troeplate25.htm

One of his examples of an Atlanto-Med from near Genoa looks a lot like my Dad when he was younger.
http://www.nordish.org/troeplate23.htm

Your Dad to me actually had in the first picture of him a bit of this plate of what Coon calls a Dinaric. That's why I thought he looked a bit like my husband's father, who was definitely Dinaric. I don't see it the other pictures so much, however, or in the rest of the people in your family pictures. It may have just been the angle.

Anyway, feel free to ignore any or all of this. :) It's just my subjective view of a very nebulous subject.

BTW, did you know that Thomas Jeffferson carried a "T" haplogroup? He's the only one among all those R1bs. They definitely traced his ancestry back to somewhere in England.

He wasn't always wrong. :)

@ Ángels @BMW,

First of all I would like to congratulate everyone for posting family photos. I love. It is a rare opportunity for us to review intimate and happy moments. I find very interesting these overlaps that exist between British, Italian, French and Iberian. It is a demonstration of the great movement of people who happened in Europe for millennia. Of course that certain types predominate in certain regions, but the most important fact is that all types can be found everywhere in Europe. I find this very cool.

Last edited:
Angela,

Thank you for all you sent....much appreciated. Miss Liguria looks as though she could have been homecoming queen in the majority of schools here in the U.S. when I was in high school. I understand your point very well.
What you sent deserves a better response than I can send at the moment. I will reply with more a little later.

Duarte,
Thank you for another good response!

Angela,

The photo on the left, I believe, shows the same look for my father you mentioned earlier. When he was that age most of his photos looked like that.
Believe it or not, the gent lying on the ground in the photo on the right is my Dad's brother.

YyJsRBq.jpg

Angela,

The photo on the left, I believe, shows the same look for my father you mentioned earlier. When he was that age most of his photos looked like that.
Believe it or not, the gent lying on the ground in the photo on the right is my Dad's brother.

YyJsRBq.jpg

Take a look at these young men in one of our festivals celebrating our history.

drummers.jpg

This is from the most "Tuscan" of the towns in the Lunigiana, but I think he's a bit more "Dinaric" than that.

Something was niggling at me. What do you think? A bit of a young Nicholas Cage? He's at least half far southern Italian.

Nic-Cage-Moonstruck.png

When I block out Cage's eyes and ears it does seem to work for me.

My Uncle Bill definitely took after my paternal grandmother...round faced and on the shorter side.
I grew up hearing about the "Walsh nose" and by that they were referring to a Roman nose they said. My Dad's father and sister had it as well.

This might be close for his profile but with a slightly longer face under the nose.

XrBjoMC.jpg

This is an earlier photo of my Dad's grandfather and siblings....with their parents.
My great grandfather is at the top right but I resemble his brother more (holding his baby daughter) in the middle of the front row. It's been a long time since my hair was that dark, though.... :)

8PW4fd7.jpg

This thread has been viewed 13549 times.

Back